HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Potential for these Oiler picks?

Old
06-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Bruce Wayne*

vCash: 500
Potential for these Oiler picks?

I'm kind of on the fence with these Oiler picks and would like to know some information on them, and if you can, some NHL projections for them, including comparable NHL players.
Thanks in advance.

Anton Lander
and
Kyle Bigos
and
Hesketh (sp?)

I just wish we didn't make a mistake passing over the like os Elliot, Tatar, Panik, Nestrasil, Vincour etc. to get these guys

Bruce Wayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
cantwell7

vCash: 695
I know that Lander is a future Captain . He has great leadership qualites and is a great two-way forward . Its hard to compare him to a player in the NHL , but if i were to do so. I would say a poor man's Henrik Zetterberg.

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Bruce Wayne*

Do you think we should have went with tatar, panik, budish, or my favorite player for the second round Elliot, who I think will be a top pairing D in the mold of Gilbert

Old
06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Bigos will be a physical 3rd pairing stay at home defenseman at best.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
fong p88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'd say he has top four potential, A more offensive but not quite as mean as Peckham

fong p88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
This. Bigos and Abney so early on are truly two Oilers picks I don't get, compared to how good the rest of their draft was. I've seen Bigos in three games (which isn't that much, admittedly) this year and while he's huge and can fight, he was a 20 year old defenseman in the BCHL who had a good season but did not look dominant to me, which he should have been. Good shot, but terrible mobility and not a good skater at all. He's tough and hard-nosed defensively but his positioning looked just average to me. He was the MVP of the RBC Cup though so that has to count for something.

His upside is a #5-6 defenseman but from what I saw, I sincerely doubt he'll ever reach that ceiling.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Canad93

I loved the Oilers draft.
Lander will be great, and MSP and Rajala were two of my favourite players in the whole draft.
Rajala is boom or bust; but his boom could be massive.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Bruce Wayne*

what about Hesketh?? I'm hoping for a Weber-lite but that may be a stretch...lol

Old
06-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
what about Hesketh?? I'm hoping for a Weber-lite but that may be a stretch...lol
RD3, 71st overall: D Troy Hesketh. Defender grew a couple of inches late and rode a gathering buzz into the 3rd round. From Minnetonka HS, he will eventually find his way to Wisconsin (NCAA) but has to be considered a long term project. Unlikely to see pro hockey until 2012 (or later).

UPDATE: This later on Saturday (8PM) courtesy Oilers Chick at HF:

He has good size but is very lanky. He's about 6'2 and when I saw him this year, he looked to be around 165-170 lbs. He's an excellent skating two-way defenseman. What has really impressed me about watching Hesketh this year is his really smart positional play and the way he sees the ice. He's very good at being in the right place and having his stick in the right place to take away time and space.

Now keep in mind this is at the high school level, but as he progresses to the higher levels, this aspect of his game will serve him and his future teams exceedingly well. He reads plays well and makes good decisions not only with the puck, but also in defending in his own zone. While Hesketh is very competitive, I wouldn't necessarily say that he's of the tough guy variety.

He handles the puck well, has a good shot that should continue to get better with development, but could stand to shoot a little more. If anything, at times he looked to be too selfless with the puck - you know, the ol' pass-first-shoot-second way of thinking.

Like many of the Skippers, Hesketh has got good speed. At this point, I wouldn't say that he'll blossom into an offensive defenseman because even though Hesketh has proven he can score goals, he just doesn't fit the prototypical offensive defenseman mold.

All courtesy of http://lowetide.blogspot.com
Thanks lowetide

Last edited by Joseppi: 06-30-2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Was thinking Abney for some reason
Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
The only one here that I know a bit about is Anton Lander. He's a very good two way player, very good in the faceoffs especially, heart and soul kind of player probably could be a great leader someday. He does have some offensive upside as well though. I would say his potential at best is a 2nd line C, but he could be a very good 3rd line C.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
This. Bigos and Abney so early on are truly two Oilers picks I don't get, compared to how good the rest of their draft was. I've seen Bigos in three games (which isn't that much, admittedly) this year and while he's huge and can fight, he was a 20 year old defenseman in the BCHL who had a good season but did not look dominant to me, which he should have been. Good shot, but terrible mobility and not a good skater at all. He's tough and hard-nosed defensively but his positioning looked just average to me. He was the MVP of the RBC Cup though so that has to count for something.

His upside is a #5-6 defenseman but from what I saw, I sincerely doubt he'll ever reach that ceiling.
I loved the Abney pick, although we probably took him a bit early, I can really see this kid being a great enforcer in the league.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Spamhuis

Edmonton did well to get Tambellini. He has a better eye for talent than anyone they've had in a while.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:57 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kesler View Post
Edmonton did well to get Tambellini. He has a better eye for talent than anyone they've had in a while.
Our Head Scout (Stu McGregor) makes our picks for us. I'm sure Tambellini had a say in it, but you know.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
Our Head Scout (Stu McGregor) makes our picks for us. I'm sure Tambellini had a say in it, but you know.
Don't underestimate Tambellini though. Trust me be happy you have him instead of Lowe. He has a great eye for talent.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Bruce Wayne*

yeah...if we had lowe at the draft table he would have picked kassian instead of picking the player that fell onto his lap (MPS) like Tambo did.....Pouliout over Parise is something I will never forget

Old
06-30-2009, 02:38 AM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kesler View Post
Don't underestimate Tambellini though. Trust me be happy you have him instead of Lowe. He has a great eye for talent.
yea because all his input sure helped the Canucks draft amazingly !

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 04:55 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
I loved the Abney pick, although we probably took him a bit early, I can really see this kid being a great enforcer in the league.
Really? The Oilers struck gold with four of their picks IMO but Bigos and Abney (and I know nothing about Hesketh) were just BRUTAL picks (again IMO). Abney is a good skater for his size, I guess, and a good fighter. But he just doesn't even have the minimum skill or hockey sense required of a 4th line 5-minute a game NHL enforcer. Seriously, Stortini has more talent in his pinky finger.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:39 AM
SK13
Prep Time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Really? The Oilers struck gold with four of their picks IMO but Bigos and Abney (and I know nothing about Hesketh) were just BRUTAL picks (again IMO). Abney is a good skater for his size, I guess, and a good fighter. But he just doesn't even have the minimum skill or hockey sense required of a 4th line 5-minute a game NHL enforcer. Seriously, Stortini has more talent in his pinky finger.
Bigos is an overager with all the tools - he was a projection pick, a guy who will probably bust but much shock. Same type of deal with Hesketh, only he just finished Grade 11.

Abney is the only pick I question. One of the Oilers scouts was high on him, said he isn't a bad skater and hits as hard and he punches. I think they feel they might be able to turn him into a player.

I would have preferred they go with one of the more talented guys still on the board.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

I can update everyone on Bigos throughout the season. He's going to be a freshman at Merrimack College next fall, and I will also be a freshman there as well. I plan on attending all of the games (gonna be sweet watching all that Hockey East).

All I know about him now is that he is one big dude. I look forward to sharing information about him with everyone.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Beerfish

I didn't like the Lander pick, too many good players left on the board to be going a bit outside the box and taking a guy that sounds like he is 3rd, 4th line potential only. Bigos I like and I didn't like the Hesketh pick, not even rated, in a similar situation time line wise as Wheeler apparently.

The Abney pick was idiotic.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:45 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

Hesketh is a really nice player with a good deal of potential. I was thinking he'd be a high pick for 2010 since he was young and nobody was talking about him much, but apparently he was born in July of 91.

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Bruce Wayne*

I would rather have picked Elliot instead of Lander and Nestrasil instead of Abney...the perrfect draft imo for the oilers

Old
06-30-2009, 03:13 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Yeah, every nhl team needs a useless guy for the press box. Great pick at #81.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Bruce Wayne*

Abney was a waste of a pick.....the Oil management want to mirror a teeam like deroit, but Detroit doesn't need/use enforcers......stupid move with better players on the board