HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolland Re-signs 5 year Deal

Old
06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
HawksFan37

vCash: 500
Obviously someone will have to go from the Hawks here in 2010 to make things work. In an ideal world it's one of Huet or Campbell, but assuming it's not...here's where it stands:

Kane's cap hit: $3.725
Toews cap hit: $2.8
Keith's cap hit: $1.4

Total: $8M roughly.

I can see all 3 of these guys being in the $5-$5.5M range on the next contract. Whether the Hawks want to get creative and sign these guys to very long term deals to minimize cap hit remains to be seen. For now, I'm going to assume that the 3 contracts would total between $15-17M. So it's an increase of about $7-9M on the cap.

I'm pretty sure that Brent Sopel will not factor in to the 2010-11 plans, he'll either be dealt or he'll be "Kyle McLaren'ed" to Rockford to get the $2.3M off the books. So there's some of the money required. Buff makes $3M and is another potential guy to deal, espeically if Beach can fill his shoes. Versteeg or Barker might have to be dealt this year as well, we'll see how the offseason plays out.

No question that the Hawks are going to have to lose some bodies to keep their core together. And there's no question that Campbell and Huet's contract really suck. But I think they will be able to keep the core together, and who knows, by next offseason, maybe it's easier to deal Huet to clean up some cap room as well. The Hawks just have to hope this core that is in their early to mid 20s keep improving in order to offset the loss of a complimentery player or two. I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility for them to do so.

HawksFan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan37 View Post
Obviously someone will have to go from the Hawks here in 2010 to make things work. In an ideal world it's one of Huet or Campbell, but assuming it's not...here's where it stands:

Kane's cap hit: $3.725
Toews cap hit: $2.8
Keith's cap hit: $1.4

Total: $8M roughly.

I can see all 3 of these guys being in the $5-$5.5M range on the next contract. Whether the Hawks want to get creative and sign these guys to very long term deals to minimize cap hit remains to be seen. For now, I'm going to assume that the 3 contracts would total between $15-17M. So it's an increase of about $7-9M on the cap.

I'm pretty sure that Brent Sopel will not factor in to the 2010-11 plans, he'll either be dealt or he'll be "Kyle McLaren'ed" to Rockford to get the $2.3M off the books. So there's some of the money required. Buff makes $3M and is another potential guy to deal, espeically if Beach can fill his shoes. Versteeg or Barker might have to be dealt this year as well, we'll see how the offseason plays out.

No question that the Hawks are going to have to lose some bodies to keep their core together. And there's no question that Campbell and Huet's contract really suck. But I think they will be able to keep the core together, and who knows, by next offseason, maybe it's easier to deal Huet to clean up some cap room as well. The Hawks just have to hope this core that is in their early to mid 20s keep improving in order to offset the loss of a complimentery player or two. I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility for them to do so.

So the Hawks lose their depth is what your trying to say, ruining themselves and their chances of being a Cup contender by the foolish signings of an inept GM one year ago?

The Hawks are a solid team on account of their depth, thats it. Put everything on one line, this team goes down hill fast.

I predicted this last year when those horrid contracts were signed, once again, Ive been proven correct.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
So the Hawks lose their depth is what your trying to say, ruining themselves and their chances of being a Cup contender by the foolish signings of an inept GM one year ago?

The Hawks are a solid team on account of their depth, thats it. Put everything on one line, this team goes down hill fast.

I predicted this last year when those horrid contracts were signed, once again, Ive been proven correct.
How have you been proven correct???

Blackwater13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Put everything on one line, this team goes down hill fast.
That would be the case for all teams, is it not?

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
So 8 million to 17 million. That's 9 million. How much do we have available from NOT resigning Havlat and Khabibulin? More than 9 million. Try 12 million. We have that available for this upcoming season, much less the following season.

This team may lose a young piece or two. Maybe Versteeg...Ladd...maybe even Barker.

But when you consider we'll still have Kane, Toews, Bolland, Keith, and Seabrook...to go along with the kids in Rockford...we're not in bad shape.

It's certainly not the Armageddon you're making it out to be. You just love pissin' in peoples' Cheerios, don't cha? LOL

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I just find it ridiculous that you call our GM inept over TWO signings. Every team makes gambles. Some free agents don't pan out for what you pay. Some draft picks don't pan out well given how high you took them. Running a professional sports team isn't an exact science. EVERYONE...gets burned from time to time. E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E.

Even without the Huet and Cambell contracts...you have to understand that a roster filled with homegrown talent is going to grow together, become RFA's together, and require substantial raises together...and you STILL might not be able to keep everyone.

You need to go smoke a bowl, drop some L...or do some kind of other illicit drug. Relax, Chicken Little.

Old
06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Retail1LO

Dude has no faith. Go cheer for the Red Wings. Usually people troll other teams boards...not their own.

Old
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater13 View Post
How have you been proven correct???
The best part is that he wasn't a member yet when those two signed.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:15 PM
HawksFan37

Quote:

Congratulations on being proven correct. Like you (and a lot of Hawk fans), I was not a fan of those contracts when they were signed either and voiced my displeasure many times on another board that a lot of Hawks fans frequent.

Not everything will go on one line either in that scenario either. Could go Toews-Kane-Beach?, then Sharp-Bolland-Ladd if need be. I'm not saying trade both Buff or Versteeg either, but one of them could go and then the other could be on the 3rd line. It's tough to say what the situation will be a year from now.

I agree with you that the Hawks are solid because of the depth, and we're not disagreeing on Campbell's and Huet's contracts handcuffing this team a little as it leaves the Hawks little room for error. For that, I'm not a huge fan of Tallon's either. If someone offered me a deal for either of Campbell or Huet for a bag of pucks I would do it in a heartbeat, but as it looks this offseason, that's not going to be the case.

The key for the Hawks is to continue to draft and develop talent well so they can find cheap, serviceble replacements for complimentary players that may have to get dealt or let go. It's what the Wings do. Who the heck was Franzen 3 years ago? Or Hudler? Or Filpulla? The Wings are deep because they draft and develop well. The Hawks are going to need to do the same.

HawksFan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

I really thought this was actually a pretty terrible contract. The only way I see it being good is if the Hawks think he will be worth 5 mil by the 3rd year of the deal, and he wont.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
I really thought this was actually a pretty terrible contract. The only way I see it being good is if the Hawks think he will be worth 5 mil by the 3rd year of the deal, and he wont.
So...it's only a good deal if by the third year, he's playing at a level equal to 160% of his recently signed contract? Wow. LOL Since when is a deal only good if you're playing at a level 1.5x the amount of money they signed you at?

Christ...whatever cracks some of you crawl out of to respond like this...feel free to return at any time.

Old
06-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
The best part is that he wasn't a member yet when those two signed.
LMAO!

Old
06-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
Well Staal is getting 4mil per and his numbers are close to the same.

Old
06-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Piffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater13 View Post
Well Staal is getting 4mil per and his numbers are close to the same.
Only 2 points difference between Staal and Bolland during the regular season, but Bolland was +19 and Staal was +5. And everyone is trying to trade for Staal. It is amazing what a last name can get you. Bolland scored at a much higher pace in the playoffs too (his first playoffs) and has a lot less NHL experience. He is a slow starter at every level. I expect him to be quite a bit better in two years than he is already, and I already like him like he is.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Retail1LO

The Penguins made large contracts with Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Fleury, and Gonchar work, on their way to a cup. I know Campbell and Huet factor into our top 5, contract wise, but our remaining parts don't cost what these guys do. It's going to be tight...and we may not be able to splurge on free agents...but we have what it takes to keep this team largely intact.

Old
06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
I just find it ridiculous that you call our GM inept over TWO signings. Every team makes gambles. Some free agents don't pan out for what you pay. Some draft picks don't pan out well given how high you took them. Running a professional sports team isn't an exact science. EVERYONE...gets burned from time to time. E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E.

No.
Every time Fail Tallon sinks his claws into the FA market, the Hawks get burned.
Name one player he signed as a FA that was actually worth the contract?

Still waiting

waiting still

(crickets)

Never happened.
You can say Khabby, and I will point to all the years before his mediocre year last year where he was non-existant.
You have to look at the core of this team, and two parts, Campbell and Nuet, are not core players, yet, ARE considering their contracts.Thats poor cap management from a guy who has no clue how to use the cap to his advantage.
TKK are now 6-7 million a year guys, or get huge uber long contracts that still crush the salary cap.

What does Campbells contract effect?
Well, Havlats gone, who would you rather have?
Is this team better with Campbell instead of Havlat?
Versteeg and Barkers contracts now weigh in on if one of TKK get traded, thats reality, and this team doesnt have anybody top end talent wise to pick up the offensive slack just to let them leave for draft picks, and the Hawks are questionable picking later than the top five in the draft, truth.

It was Mike Smith who built this team, and Iam not a fan of his, Tallon had a crap team and high picks handed to him, picks so high anybody could have made a decent decision, and Skille is still a questionable pick.

So, if anybody thinks depleating this team of their depth isnt so bad, then points to the Penguins, well, theres a huge drop off in talent from Crysby and Malkin to Toews and Kane.Your looking a one solid scoring line and then question marks after. And of Colin Fraser is your third line centre, then the Hawks are in alot of trouble.

The Bolland/Ladd/Havlat line was perfect, why? Because Havlat is that damn good, and while I belive Bolland to be a decent centre, his offensive stats will drop considerably unless Havlat, or somebody of that skill set, is on his wing, and the Hawks dont have that now.

But hey, Brian Campbell is a fantastic skater..........

Flapjack fact #834- Wont eat a beef sandwich unless it is drizzled with hot peppers.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
No.

Name one player he signed as a FA that was actually worth the contract?
Same could be said for about 95% of the free agent signings post lockout. Everyone over pay's.

I do know he fleeced some teams on some great one sided trades, Sharp, Havlat and Versteeg.

Also for real, you should probably find another team to pretend to be a fan of. Honestly whats the point if you have nothing but negative feelings for this team or what they do or what their future holds. I mean you're always upset. You sound a lot like the goofs from the 300level.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Retail1LO

*laughing* The guy still only made two bad signings...maybe 3. How horrible. 3 bad moves and you need to be fired? Christ. Havlat spent most of his time here injured. He could sneeze and get hurt again. What if we sign him long term and he gets hurt again? He had ONE good season for us...and we should sink what...5 or 6 million a year into HIM? Talk about getting handcuffed. You have to remember...this is a YOUNG, rebuilding team. I think the fact that we went to the Western Conference finals last year has skewed everyone's expectations for what is still a developing bunch of KIDS. You're sour grapes buddy. I've never seen a fan of a team with this much promise...so pissed off before.

And another thing...there's NO WAY...Kane and Toews get 6-7 million each at the end of their entry level contract. What in the world have they done at this point in their career to warrant that kinda pay increase? Christ...the Sedin's MIGHT get that much...and they're proven 80+ point producers year in year out for the last 10 years nearly.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Retail1LO

The Penguins and Hawks really can't be compared. There's always a HUGE drop off in talent after the 1st or 2nd pick. The Penguins won the lottery of a franchise's lifetime coming out of the lockout, and getting Crosby. They picked Fleury 1st overall, Malkin 2nd, Staal 2nd or 3rd...

The Hawks while picking early, haven't picked NEARLY as early as the Pens, and haven't had the same talent available. And again...if the Pens can fit all their stars in under the cap along with Gonchar...we can make it work too.

The Pens have most of their money dumped into 5 players...and filled the rest of the squad in with what can be considered spare parts.

There's no reason we can't do the same. We might not have the same star power to where it's necessary to dump huge money on 5 people...but we're a lot more balanced. Toews, Kane, Bolland, Versteeg, Havlat, Ladd, Barker, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell...are easily a more talented bunch as a whole. They'll eventually have to be paid like it too.

Malkin and Crosby make anyone on their lines look good. You can afford to pay less for the other linemates because on the strength of those two players alone...the other guys are better. They're generational talents. Not everyone has the luxury of having those on their team.

We'll do the best we can with what we've got.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
*laughing* The guy still only made two bad signings...maybe 3.
Barnaby
Klemm- I lied
Cullimore
Auigroin
Khabby
Campbell
Huet
Lapointe
Curtis Brown

Thats three, your right.
Quote:
this is a YOUNG, rebuilding team.
No. This team isnt rebuilding, this team was built to win now.
The rebuilt was done last year, with the two horrid signings last summer as proof.Tallon gambled the development of this team with those signings to win a Cup LAST year, and Failed.There were too many financial uncertainties this off season with the cap coming into play for this team not to go all in last year.

Quote:
I think the fact that we went to the Western Conference finals last year has skewed everyone's expectations for what is still a developing bunch of KIDS. You're sour grapes buddy. I've never seen a fan of a team with this much promise...so pissed off before.
And by depleating this team of its depth makes them better?
Explain that one.
Quote:
And another thing...there's NO WAY...Kane and Toews get 6-7 million each at the end of their entry level contract.
Kopitar and Statsny wave to you while they cash their checks.
Unless you think they are better, more important players to their respected teams than TKK are to the Hawks.
But then again, you had Hawk fans saying BBV were going to be signed for 4.5/6 million between them and Havlats taking a hometown discount....just throw away market value, right?Hows all that working out?

Flapjack fact #624- Loves breakfast jacks from jack in the box

Last edited by Flapjack*: 06-30-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old
06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Barnaby
Klemm
Auigroin
Khabby
Campbell
Huet
Lapointe
Curtis Brown
While I agree with the rest, Klemm was pretty solid during his time here.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Dale wasn't even GM for any of Klemm's tenure here

Old
06-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
While I agree with the rest, Klemm was pretty solid during his time here.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Dale wasn't even GM for any of Klemm's tenure here
Didnt he sign him that one ill fated year of the Barnaby?

Flapjack fact- Doesnt crave white castles, white castles cave flapjack

Old
06-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Teemu

Quote:

I don't think so... Smith (or maybe Pulford) traded him to the Stars for Robidas

But anyway, the point is that UFAs aren't Tallon's strong suit.

Old
06-30-2009, 04:12 PM
salty justice

Quote:

You are thinking of Cullimore. Klemm left the year prior.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Klemm wasn't a part of this team post lockout. Traded him for Robidas who then signed back with Dallas the year after.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote