Phaneuf Available?

Old
06-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

vCash: 500
Phaneuf Available?

Hey Flames Fans!

Just was watching Sportsnet West and the commentator was speculating the Flames moving Phaneuf and that they are in pursuit of Heatley.

Before I even called around I was wondering if you as fans believe their is anything to this talk. Is moving Phaneuf even being considered? After listening to all the media talk and seeing nothing huge take place on Friday I was assuming this is all talk to boost interest in July 1st, but figured I'd post here.

I will post the video when it comes up on the webpage.

Cheers!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Hey Flames Fans!

Just was watching Sportsnet West and the commentator was speculating the Flames moving Phaneuf and that they are in pursuit of Heatley.

Before I even called around I was wondering if you as fans believe their is anything to this talk. Is moving Phaneuf even being considered? After listening to all the media talk and seeing nothing huge take place on Friday I was assuming this is all talk to boost interest in July 1st, but figured I'd post here.

I will post the video when it comes up on the webpage.

Cheers!
it's not going to happen

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Sutter has already stated that he won't be moving core players (Kipper, Iginla, Regehr, Phaneuf). If they can get JayBo and Pardy resigned, its possible, but I don't want him. Calgary needs a #1 Center. Hopefully Jokinen can fill that role.

Salary wise, Jaybo and Pardy would make around what Phaneuf is making. I can't see us taking Langkow, Jokinen, Heatley, and Iginla's salary with the numbers we have locked up in our defense.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
it's not going to happen
Didn't think so, but with the Bouwmeester signing being on the table and last years fiasco with 15 guys on the bench, where does Sutter cut salary?

Great 1-2 punch on defense if Bouwmeester signs guys!

Old
06-29-2009, 08:24 PM
bobhabs46

Here's the link :

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/blogs...atley_phaneuf/

bobhabs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhabs46 View Post
Thanks!

Old
06-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Complacent Iggy

we shouldn't give up on Phaneuf too quickly unless someone knocks Sutter out with a deal he can't refuse. I'm just hoping he has a bounce back year, live up to his hype and with him a healthy Regher, Sarich and Bouwmeester makes one hell of a top 4 on d.

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkipper View Post
we shouldn't give up on Phaneuf too quickly unless someone knocks Sutter out with a deal he can't refuse. I'm just hoping he has a bounce back year, live up to his hype and with him a healthy Regher, Sarich and Bouwmeester makes one hell of a top 4 on d.
For once, I actually agree with you.

Old
06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Northern Neighbour

Spector is merely speculating. He doesn't have any sources. I'll take Bob McKenzie's word over Spector. McKenzie stated that there are only three teams left in the running for Heatley - Edmonton, Minnesota, and San Jose. McKenzie doesn't spew nonsense like some other "reporters".

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Spector is merely speculating. He doesn't have any sources. I'll take Bob McKenzie's word over Spector. McKenzie stated that there are only three teams left in the running for Heatley - Edmonton, Minnesota, and San Jose. McKenzie doesn't spew nonsense like some other "reporters".
Sounds like Spector got ahold of that Eklund rumor generator.

Old
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Puckz

Sounds like mere speculation... It's getting a little silly how people are saying Phaneuf had a horrible offensive season, it was his fourth in the league, sure it was his lowest but it was still good enough for top 15 in the league.

"Another school of thought says that Phaneuf has not handled his six-year, $39 million deal so well. In his first of the deal Phaneuf made $7 million, then produced his lowest points total (47 points) of four NHL campaigns. He had three lonely assists in five playoff games, as the Flames lost again in the first round, this time to Chicago."

47 points isn't bad for a defenceman, even for a defenceman making $7 million and he wasn't as bad as people make it out to be defensively, in fact I've heard people say complete polar opposite that his defensive game even improved... 3 "lonely" assists in 5 games puts him at a 50 point pace if applied to the regular season, not horrible.

I still believe Phaneuf is the defenceman we all know he is and I'm not sold on acquiring Heatley either. Now if we can move Sarich and get Heatley in under the cap somehow, hahaha then we're talking! But that's not likely to happen either and Sarich is pretty solid himself.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
Sounds like mere speculation... It's getting a little silly how people are saying Phaneuf had a horrible offensive season, it was his fourth in the league, sure it was his lowest but it was still good enough for top 15 in the league.

"Another school of thought says that Phaneuf has not handled his six-year, $39 million deal so well. In his first of the deal Phaneuf made $7 million, then produced his lowest points total (47 points) of four NHL campaigns. He had three lonely assists in five playoff games, as the Flames lost again in the first round, this time to Chicago."

47 points isn't bad for a defenceman, even for a defenceman making $7 million and he wasn't as bad as people make it out to be defensively, in fact I've heard people say complete polar opposite that his defensive game even improved... 3 "lonely" assists in 5 games puts him at a 50 point pace if applied to the regular season, not horrible.

I still believe Phaneuf is the defenceman we all know he is and I'm not sold on acquiring Heatley either. Now if we can move Sarich and get Heatley in under the cap somehow, hahaha then we're talking! But that's not likely to happen either and Sarich is pretty solid himself.
It'd be nice, but I don't want Heatley. Unless it means Sarich and Langkow or Jokinen is moved, I'd pass

Old
06-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
It'd be nice, but I don't want Heatley. Unless it means Sarich and Langkow or Jokinen is moved, I'd pass
It's an interesting idea though isn't it? Somewhat at least...

If we can package Sarich + Langkow and a pick for Heatley?

Add a defensive depth defenceman, or someone like Huskins or Montador?

Still be able to get it in under the cap and hope like hell that Backlund can center line two.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
It's an interesting idea though isn't it? Somewhat at least...

If we can package Sarich + Langkow and a pick for Heatley?

Add a defensive depth defenceman, or someone like Huskins or Montador?

Still be able to get it in under the cap and hope like hell that Backlund can center line two.
I didnt even think of Backlund actually. Him between Heatley and Iginla? Sounds beautiful. Pair up Jokinen with Moss and Bourque.

Old
06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Flames92

Stop These Rumours

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:28 PM
scoringmachine

Phaneuf is not moving anywhere and Sutter said so. Stop making rumors of trading him when we know Sutter wants to keep him.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Pacem

Spector is an idiot.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...ference_needs/

Quote:
Cap room: $7.6 million
What they need: Here are the significant Calgary UFAs, and last yearís salary: Mike Cammalleri ($3.6M) Todd Bertuzzi ($1.95M), Andre Roy ($0.55M), Jamie Lundmark ($0.6M), Adrian Aucoin ($4M), Jordan Leopold ($1.5M), Adam Pardy ($0.5M). GM Darryl Sutter may have to let Bertuzzi and Aucoin go, unless he can find someone to take Olli Jokinenís $5.5M salary off his hands. That could be real tough after a spotty stretch run and playoff.
What they might do: Try like crazy to offload Jokinen at the draft. If that canít happen, Calgary needs mobility on the back end, which will mean keeping Leopold, and perhaps Aucoin ahead of Cammalleri. With Brent Sutterís arrival as head coach, youíll see a push for defensive, responsible hockey in Calgary. That could mean a run at some smaller name, free agent defencemen who play the Sutter style. How about Johnny Oduya from New Jersey?
That was his pre draft analysis. No way in this world does Sutter get rid of Phaneuf after signing Brent Sutter as the coach. Phaneuf's value is at an all time low, makes no sense to trade him now. Our salary cap is tight. No way do we add 1m in salary and trade a franchise type defenseman at the same time when we are so close to the cap. Phaneuf > Bouwmeester. Norris calibre season and more playoff experience than Bouwmeester. Bouwmeester will walk and we'll take our lumps for trading for his rights before we trade Phaneuf

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Feel The Heat
Flames in 6

vCash: 492
No way Phaneuf gets traded. Not at this point in his carrer.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
At the draft, I saw Sutter on 4 different media outlets (TSN, Sportsnet, The Score, and Flames TV) on all of them he said "If I were an average defenceman, I would like an opperunity to play with Robyn Regehr and Dion Phanuef". It sounds like a pretty safe bet that Sutter in invisioning having the 3 defenceman all play on the same unit. Spector is just giving an opinion on what "he" thinks would be a good fit. The article should be taken for any substance, he stated not once any of the sources that told him that is what he is hearing.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

Phaneuf was horrendous defensively last season. He allowed the fourth most even strength goals against/60 minutes among defenseman in the NHL despite playing pretty soft minutes on a good team.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2008/5_on...i=&team=&pos=D

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:20 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I'm with the majority of people I just don't see Sutter trading Phaneuf. Not a chance it is going to happen as far as I am concerned. These rumours are pretty ridiculous. Spector isn't that reliable anyways.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:58 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Heatley is a great player, so don't get me wrong, but after he pulled that stunt in Ottawa, I don't want him on my team and definitely not in exchange for Phaneuf.

I am not generally opposed to trading Phaneuf, but as some other have pointed out, a/some young promising forward(s) should come the other way.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:40 AM
debil

i am pretty sure sutter's not even considering trade of phaneuf. he was signed to be flames top dman in the following years.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
i am pretty sure sutter's not even considering trade of phaneuf. he was signed to be flames top dman in the following years.
And now who is the top man with Bouwmeester in town?

I'm sure you guys know how the cap situation can work out in Calgary I am just floored that Iginla, Phaneuf, Kipprusoff, Regehr, Langkow, Jokinen, Sarich and Bouwmeester can all exist with their salaries on the same team.

8 players for almost exactly $43 million dollars? that means that the other 15 players ALL have to make just under $1 million each with no cap space.

Old
06-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Caribou Lou

Phaneuf is taking major flak for last season, and while he clearly had his worst season, you can't ignore the way he was playing before this all happened. I've also heard Phaneuf battled a pretty major hip or shoulder injury or something, which would definitely explain a lot. Add that to the fact that it's been rumored that younger players have a tough time dealing with Keenan. Everything points to last season being an anomaly, as mad as Phaneuf made me last year he deserves another season at the least to show what he's still got. Especially since Brent is coaching now, he was an absolute machine in Red Deer, I'm excited to see how he responds to all the changes this season

Caribou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote