Notices

Phaneuf Available?

Old
06-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Ronald Pagan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Lou View Post
Phaneuf is taking major flak for last season, and while he clearly had his worst season, you can't ignore the way he was playing before this all happened. I've also heard Phaneuf battled a pretty major hip or shoulder injury or something, which would definitely explain a lot. Add that to the fact that it's been rumored that younger players have a tough time dealing with Keenan. Everything points to last season being an anomaly, as mad as Phaneuf made me last year he deserves another season at the least to show what he's still got. Especially since Brent is coaching now, he was an absolute machine in Red Deer, I'm excited to see how he responds to all the changes this season
Exactly. Phaneuf is part of the solution. One mediocre season. Here's a newsflash, most players' development is NOT linear. It will have peaks and valleys. Giving up after a valley is a recipe for long-term futility. Phaneuf will bounce back and will be a key component of our winning team.

Heatley is a guy who's asked to be traded because he played on the 2nd PP, was asked to be a more complete player, and floats around.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Noori

vCash: 100
The only way Phaneuf becomes available is if Elisha Cuthbert dumps him.

Darryl Sutter isn't about to let go of a player like Phaneuf, who's defensive game has started to improve and who's explosiveness will return as his hip injury gets better.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
The only way Phaneuf becomes available is if Elisha Cuthbert dumps him.

That means soon

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Didn't think so, but with the Bouwmeester signing being on the table and last years fiasco with 15 guys on the bench, where does Sutter cut salary?

Great 1-2 punch on defense if Bouwmeester signs guys!
the salary has been cut... Cammalleri (3.35), Aucoin (4.0), Bertuzzi (1.95), Vandermeer (2.3), Leopold (1.5)... that's what 13+ million gone?... the Flames sign Bouwmeester easily... if they play to add a 1.5-2 million forward they would then have to trade, waive or demote Primeau... if they plan to promote from within they don't even have to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
It'd be nice, but I don't want Heatley. Unless it means Sarich and Langkow or Jokinen is moved, I'd pass
no to Sarich... same with Jokinen... if we are going to acquire another long term contract we would have to ship one out so it would have to be Langkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Phaneuf was horrendous defensively last season. He allowed the fourth most even strength goals against/60 minutes among defenseman in the NHL despite playing pretty soft minutes on a good team.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2008/5_on...i=&team=&pos=D
yes reference some fan site with a made up formula... this soft minutes thing is ******** too... the guy played 26+ minutes a night, he played alot of hard minutes... also the guy had a ****ed up hip from October on... if you watched the Flames and Phaneuf rather than buying into all teh crap of fans on other teams say then you would have seen that Phaneuf took himself out of position alot less this season for hits... he got alot better in using his stick to breakup plays... and he was in better position... but that doesn't matter when you can't lead with the outside half of your body... it doesn't matter when you can't turn as fast as normal... it doesn't matter when you don't have your explosive first stride... Phaneuf's problems defensively quite often came from the rush because he couldn't make the plays the way he needed to

Last edited by Lunatik*: 06-30-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:46 PM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Phaneuf was horrendous defensively last season. He allowed the fourth most even strength goals against/60 minutes among defenseman in the NHL despite playing pretty soft minutes on a good team.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2008/5_on...i=&team=&pos=D
Why don't you compare better stats like COMPFGON/COMPGOFF? Phaneuf's COMPGON is only .1 off when he's not on. There are better telling stats. Not to mention his ON+/-/60 is even. And on that page there are many minus players.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote