HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do You Believe Koivu Will Stay A Hab Next Season?

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Koivu Will Be a Hab Next Year?
Yes - Gainey fits him in somehow. 48 39.67%
No - Circumstance takes him away. 73 60.33%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Phailak

vCash: 500
Agreed, really wanted to see him back, but he seems to have a lot of pride so even should he not get a good offer elsewhere, I doubt he comes back once the July 1st deadline he set passes.
I really hope we don't end up with Pleks and someone not much better than Koivu as 1-2 punch, because if so what's the point?!

Phailak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Has everything you want and need in a centerman.
Except size.

Quote:
Some wanted Tanguay to be moved at that position, I guess that clearly Cammalleri would do the job if needed.
There's a big difference. Cammalleri is primarily a PP scorer. Tanguay is primarily an ES scorer. They don't do the same job at all.

If you have Kovalev there's not much incentive to break the bank on Cammalleri.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He should have been back, but I'll assume he has enough pride to take the way the Habs seem to be treating him as enough of a slap in the face that he'd walk. I'd walk if I was him. He'll get more money and a lot less hassle somewhere else.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Except size.
In a ideal world, TRUST ME, I keep wanting some size up the middle, for 5 years now but was told a whole lot that it was not needed. Not that I started to beleive it, but at one point, what choice do we have for this year? Is keeping an again Koivu and Plekanec making us bigger at center yet again? Cammalleri has a tremendous vision that would make his wingers be better.

I know that it's not an ideal scenario. But anybody who would know a scenario like that, please stand up.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Cammalleri has a tremendous vision that would make his wingers be better.
The real problem with Cammalleri is that outside of this year, he has been no more than a good, second-line type 5-on-5 producer. He does most of his scoring on the PP. His production pattern is too much like Kovalev, and the Habs don't really need more help on the PP.

If his 5-on-5 explosion in his contract year playing with Iggy is a real breakout, then maybe, but I have my doubts.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:56 PM
juggernaut

I assume Gainey's "plan" is to get a #1 center without trading Plekanec. So if Gainey lets Koivu go he better come through on getting us a number 1 center. If he doesn't he needs to step down A.S.A.P.

juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

If he leaves, that says a lot about our management. The habs will suck forever if he leaves.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:02 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
The real problem with Cammalleri is that outside of this year, he has been no more than a good, second-line type 5-on-5 producer. He does most of his scoring on the PP. His production pattern is too much like Kovalev, and the Habs don't really need more help on the PP.

If his 5-on-5 explosion in his contract year playing with Iggy is a real breakout, then maybe, but I have my doubts.
I think Cammalleri is very much underrated around here. He is a fine offensive player who has always posted big numbers. He's clearly very skilled. Even back to his college days, he put up unreal numbers at Michigan: 61 points in 43 games, 43 points in 28 games. He posted 109 points in 79 games in a competitive AHL during the lockout. He was then PPG two years ago and again this year. At every step, he took some time to adjust and then improved and put up big numbers. Having reached the NHL, he's a PPG player in a good year right now. I'm not sure if he has hit his ceiling or not. My guess is he's nearing his top potential.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:08 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
I think Cammalleri is very much underrated around here. He is a fine offensive player who has always posted big numbers.
Like I said, his production pattern is much like Kovalev. He puts up big numbers on the power play, not so much five on five.

Whether his explosion this year is a sign of things to come or a contract year aberration remains to be seen, but I am extremely leery of throwing big money on players based on a single season. Usually this backfires spectacularly.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:11 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Like I said, his production pattern is much like Kovalev. He puts up big numbers on the power play, not so much five on five.

Whether his explosion this year is a sign of things to come or a contract year aberration remains to be seen, but I am extremely leery of throwing big money on players based on a single season. Usually this backfires spectacularly.
He's managed to find away to post gaudy numbers at every level. It doesn't surprise me that he's becoming an even better offensive player in the NHL. Cammalleri also has TWO PPG seasons...not just one.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
do i think: no
do i want: with all my heart
I agree.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Kafka

I am positive, so I voted no. Whishfull thinking maybe, but if we get back with Koivu and Kovalev on the team, that means an other long season.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:27 PM

Yes. Even if Gainey gets a real #1 C we will need someone on the 2nd line and I want Koivu there. He's a warrior, playoff performer and I have the feeling he won't ask too much money.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:29 PM
rudethedude66

nah nah nah nah....nah nah nah nah...heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy goodbye

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Stradale

In a ideal world, bring a REAL 1st center, not a decent one that will eventually lose his spot because Koivu is playing better. I want a real one so Koivu could be our legitimate second center so the Koivu hater could shut the **** up seeing our 2nd center still manage to get 50-60pts.

Big real 1st center
Koivu
Lapierre
Youngster

Im done with Plekanec. I dont feel like he's a playoff guy.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:32 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I am positive, so I voted no. Whishfull thinking maybe, but if we get back with Koivu and Kovalev on the team, that means an other long season.
ah, another fan of the 'plekanecs can be our #1 centre' argument. I would love to see what our team could accomplish without koivu and kovalev. Taylor hall maybe

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:33 PM
MoonlightGraham

I don't think he will be there. Not that I dislike Koivu or anything, I truly respect the great man and great player he is, but I can't see him coming back. The Canadiens have been having the same problems and the same results for too long. We're due for a big change. Was Koivu at least responsible to an extent for all the internal problem between the players themselves and between the players and coaches this team has been having in the last 5+ years? I don't know, no one here really knows. We're not in the locker room. But I think there comes a point where you have to shake things up, bring in some new blood. Plus, he's not getting younger, and he's not as useful on the ice as he used to be. I think a change will be good for Koivu and good for the Canadiens.

To me the fact that Gainey said himself Koivu would not be offered a contract before July 1st is a big sign that he's not coming back. If he was really coming back, as the captain, he would have been the first one to sign. I hope he does well wherever he goes. He's been a very important part of this team for many years, and a great exemple of courage for everyone.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
This, sadly.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Personally, I feel it is very clear that Koivu's status as a Hab will be contingent on the deals that Gainey can or can't pull off.

But my gut and my no 11 jersey say Koivu will be here next year. You?

Koivu has been Habs captain and IMHO - a true Hab warrior! His battle with cancer was just one example of his tenacity!

But, (and finally) even Gainey feels......it's time for the Habs to make wholesale changes - assuming of course Gainey is truely committed to competing for a Cup.

Hope Gainey cleans house and finally does a proper job of completely rebuilding the Habs - Habs have proven repeatedly that team makeovers have kept them in mediocrity for the best part of 30 years!

Although, I could think of other players I'd prefer the Habs to part with long before Koivu!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:47 PM
marvelousmotion

Do I want him back? 100%.

Do I think he will back? Not sure.

If he is indeed available on July 1st, the Ducks would be stupid not to go after him. He's exactly what they are lacking, a solid centre to second Getzlaf and play with Selanne.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:48 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He should have been back, but I'll assume he has enough pride to take the way the Habs seem to be treating him as enough of a slap in the face that he'd walk. I'd walk if I was him. He'll get more money and a lot less hassle somewhere else.
This.

Honestly it would be nothing less than a humilation for him if he came back after July 1st, unless there was some sort of preplanned scenario where the Canadiens trade for someone, then sign Koivu. Which is completely preposterous, I know...

I'd like for him to be back, but I can't see how Koivu can come back now. For years the media and fans have been hyping up a sort of Kovalev-Koivu divide on the team, and now it looks like Gainey has chosen who he likes better. And I for one am pretty shocked to see Alex Kovalev getting an offer over both Tanguay and Koivu.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
+100000000000

I WANT SAKU...I LOVE SAKU...AND I DONT CARE ABOUT JEAN BELIVEAU AND HIS RECORD, PEOPLE DONT WANT SAKU JUST BECAUSE OF THAT...BUNCH OF IDIOTS!

Saku All The Way!!

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
smon[/B];20146496]

This.........looks like Gainey has chosen who he likes better. And I for one am pretty shocked to see Alex Kovalev getting an offer over both Tanguay and Koivu.

Ditto!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Maliki2

Eventually the Habs will have to move ahead....people need to stop hoping for Koivu to drive them to the cup. Move along, might as well get it over with now.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:24 AM
DaHabMan

he did say that if he doesnt get an offer before july 1st, he's going somewhere else and it looks like gainey aint offering anyting to him or tanguay before then. I say he gone. Too bad, we still need him.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote