HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Marcus Johansson

Old
06-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Slappy

vCash: 500
Marcus Johansson

Did anyone here have the opportunity to see Johansson play in Sweden this season? I've only seen a couple highlights, so I can't really make a judgment on what type of player he is. From the write-ups, it seems he's a pretty good skater and more of a playmaker than goal scorer. How is he compared to Anton Gustafsson? Does he stand a better chance of taking over the 2nd line C position for the Caps behind Backstrom somewhere down the line?

Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
I've seen him quite a lot.. He's pretty much a complete player.. Good at everything. What stands out the most to me is his skating, hockey sense and playmaking ability..

I think he is definitely a better prospect than Gustafsson..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:28 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
Did anyone here have the opportunity to see Johansson play in Sweden this season? I've only seen a couple highlights, so I can't really make a judgment on what type of player he is. From the write-ups, it seems he's a pretty good skater and more of a playmaker than goal scorer. How is he compared to Anton Gustafsson? Does he stand a better chance of taking over the 2nd line C position for the Caps behind Backstrom somewhere down the line?
Not so comparable... Johansson could be a good replacement for Bäckström as 2nd line centre, good skater with very good two-way game and offensive instincts. If you are lucky Gustafsson could eventually be a good third line centre in the NHL, first he have to prove that he can make it in the SEL, which he isn't even close to at the moment.

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by init2winit View Post
I am thinking Gustafsson might make a better 3rd line center with his physical, two-way play. Does that sound right?

Has anyone seen Klingberg play? He seems like a prospect the Caps could have really used, but centers are harder to come by. So just trying to see which one you think has a better chance of reaching what has been described as their higest potential.
Yup, sound just about right.

I said just before Caps picked that Klingberg could go next, he plays like Ovechkin (just doesn't produce as much ) so it would be a good fit. But Johansson is a really solid pick, in terms of potential Johansson I think has much higher offensive ceiling (50-60 point guy), but Klingberg has a better chance of reaching his since he should be at least a damn effective checking line winger, like a better and faster Matt Bradley.

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:59 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Not so comparable... Johansson could be a good replacement for Bäckström as 2nd line centre, good skater with very good two-way game and offensive instincts. If you are lucky Gustafsson could eventually be a good third line centre in the NHL, first he have to prove that he can make it in the SEL, which he isn't even close to at the moment.
Thanks for the info!

Does Johansson's game remind you of any current NHLer's?

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:32 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8 View Post
Does Johansson's game remind you of any current NHLer's?
Filppula is a good comparison IMO.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote