HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[Rumor] Mark Spector: Phaneuf for Heatley

Old
06-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Pyke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Senator View Post
Ummm, no thanks. I think Ottawa is pretty much set on defensemen.
Really?

You see no room for improvement?

Kuba - Lee
Volchenkov - Phillips
Campoli - Picard

You can't find anywhere that could be improved huh?

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:28 PM
WestCoast

Btw this isn't a rumor it's speculation by a crappy writer change the title.

WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Really?

You see no room for improvement?

Kuba - Lee
Volchenkov - Phillips
Campoli - Picard

You can't find anywhere that could be improved huh?
Dion would be a massive improvement on the bolded players.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:29 PM
soulj43r

vCash: 50
Why would Ottawa want Phaneuf anyways?

His defensive game is horrible and AHL quality and he is very overrated.

soulj43r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
eww no, we don't want Calgary's sloppy seconds
bwahahahaa, is that a reference to sean avery?

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
Dion would be a massive improvement on the bolded players.
Some of them, sure.

Phaneuf - Lee
Volenchkov - Phillips
Kuba - Campoli
Picard

I can live with that.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Beerfish

Calgary would be nuts not to jump all over that deal, especially if they get Bouwmeester. Phaneuf is quite a bit overated in my books.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:34 PM
SenatorArmy

Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
bwahahahaa, is that a reference to sean avery?
yes, you really cracked the code there

SenatorArmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Noori

I'm not sure if i really want Heatley on the Flames. As talented as he is, he's asked to be traded twice now. I don't know, but he seems like a flake to me. I'd rather keep Phaneuf and have Bouwmeester. Those two, along with Regehr, form as good a top-3 as any other team in the league.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:37 PM
SenatorArmy

I'm sure Heatley would love to play in his hometown....he'd probably stay there for along time before requesting another trade!

Old
06-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheBull View Post
**** that ****...

Rather waive Heatley.
Yeah, who doesn't want a 23 year old, former Norris nominee defenceman, who even though played half of last year injured still managed to get 47 points, who also plays 20-30 min a night and hasn't even reached his prime yet?

Phaneufed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:39 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

People are very quick to throw Heatley under the bus. He is easily one of the top-5 most talented goalscorers in the game, and can be argued for top-3. You all underrate him to an incredible level.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:46 PM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I'm not sure if i really want Heatley on the Flames. As talented as he is, he's asked to be traded twice now. I don't know, but he seems like a flake to me. I'd rather keep Phaneuf and have Bouwmeester. Those two, along with Regehr, form as good a top-3 as any other team in the league.
Phaneuf and Bouwmeester are great but who is going to score the goals...? Iginla might get you 50 but that still leaves you about 200 short of last years pace... This is the best of both worlds...you still have a #1 d-man and you get a top-3 winger. If Sutter can make the cap work I don't see how they can't do it.

For the Sens, this really solidifies the "d" but they absolutely HAVE to sign some free agents. Now they still don't have a 2nd line but they also no longer have a first line... This is a gamble for Murray but if it works and he picks up a couple of UFA's it could really pay off.

Last edited by FlapJackKing: 06-29-2009 at 09:51 PM.
FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:59 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Yeah, who doesn't want a 23 year old, former Norris nominee defenceman, who even though played half of last year injured still managed to get 47 points, who also plays 20-30 min a night and hasn't even reached his prime yet?
If nothing better came along, I don't see how Murray could refuse the trade (if in fact real). His job may be hanging by a thread as it is. Can he afford to have Heatley sit? Can he afford to have Heatley play? He can't just give him away, but we're talking Phaneuf here.

If Sutter isn't worried about Heatley's attitude and Bouwmeester gets signed, you could view it as (Bouwmeester & Heatley) for (Phaneuf, Leopold & 3rd). Not bad. <--- I don't like the bolded part. Too manipulative. Lots of ways you could view it.

Last edited by middletoe: 06-29-2009 at 10:43 PM.
middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
People are very quick to throw Heatley under the bus. He is easily one of the top-5 most talented goalscorers in the game, and can be argued for top-3. You all underrate him to an incredible level.
I agree. and to add there has to be an underlying reason for him to want out of Ottawa so bad that he requested a trade publicly, He loves the game (plays all the WC games..etc,) he just doesn't seem to be the type that you could label as being selfish. Maybe the truth will come out after his departure.

Having said that..In a straight up deal I would rather Phaneuf in a heartbeat.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwikWit View Post
Phaneuf and Bouwmeester are great but who is going to score the goals...? Iginla might get you 50 but that still leaves you about 200 short of last years pace... .
I am not sure why people ask these stupid questions without looking up the Flames roster. The only guy they lost from last year is Cammy and he is already replaced by Jokinen at the trade deadline. They'll lose some offense but not all their offense. And they were one of the better offensive team last year.

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
SenatorArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
I agree. and to add there has to be an underlying reason for him to want out of Ottawa so bad that he requested a trade publicly, He loves the game (plays all the WC games..etc,) he just doesn't seem to be the type that you could label as being selfish. Maybe the truth will come out after his departure.

Having said that..In a straight up deal I would rather Phaneuf in a heartbeat.
It's pretty well publicized his differences with coach Clouston. His displeasure when he had his ice-time cut & was put on the 2nd powerplay. Heatley is too one-dimensional & as soon as Clouston asked him to contribute in all 3 zones, his ego couldn't take it & led to the falling out that ultimately led to the trade request.

maybe there's more to it than this. Maybe he doesn't think Ottawa has a legitimate chance at a cup anytime soon so he wants out. but I think the main reason is the displeasure with the coaching staff

Old
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Agreed, but people on this board really underestimate Dion with their "overrated" "horrible defensively" remarks because the Kid had one poor season, which he played injured and still managed good numbers for a defenseman. You dont get nominated for a Norris if you are as bad as some people think he is.

Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:22 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Doubt this is anywhere near true. It sounds like Spector has been listening to too many fan boards.

If Heatley goes suck when the coach is mean to him, hows his lack of character going to react to not one but two Sutters.

Sutter loves Phaneuf he's not going to trade him for a guy that quits on his team. If Phaneuf doesn't bounce back next year then you could look at a move, but nobody gives up on a potential franchise defenseman who's only 23 after one year.

Nobody is going to get paid more then Iginla on the Flames.

The Flames aren't going to increase the cap hit.

Right now it would have to be Heatley + for Phaneuf.

There is no reason why the Flames would be interested in a player like Heatley, they could do better if they were going to trade Phaneuf.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Yes back to square one for Ottawa with two top 6 forwards and a bunch of 3/4 liners.

Swapping a one dimensional player for another.

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
indigosurf

Quote:
Phaneuf and Bouwmeester are great but who is going to score the goals...? Iginla might get you 50 but that still leaves you about 200 short of last years pace... This is the best of both worlds...you still have a #1 d-man and you get a top-3 winger. If Sutter can make the cap work I don't see how they can't do it.
Er, goal scoring hasn't exactly been a problem for the Flames, and it certainly won't be next season ... Jokinen at 30-40, Bourque at 25-30, Moss at 20-25, Boyd and Glencross at 10-15 a piece, Langkow with an additional 20-25 (this is all potentially) plus the fact that if Phaneuf is playing with Bouwie, without a doubt his offensive numbers will improve to atleast 20 goals again, aswell as the numbers that Jay Bo could put up playing alongside such an offensively talented d-man in Dion. No, scoring is definitely not an issue.

indigosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
oh god...no!

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Noori

Quote:
Jokinen, Langkow, Bourque, Moss, Bertuzzi/UFA forward, Boyd, GlenX, Conroy, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester.

Offense isn't a problem.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
I am not sure why people ask these stupid questions without looking up the Flames roster. The only guy they lost from last year is Cammy and he is already replaced by Jokinen at the trade deadline. They'll lose some offense but not all their offense. And they were one of the better offensive team last year.
First, don't assume I didn't look at the Flames roster just because I didn't post the long winded explanation you will now find below.

I don't see how taking 40-50 goals out of the Flames lineup and replacing it with 12-15 (Bouw) makes you a better team? Imo, the obvious answer is it doesn't. When looking at the stats I considered this...taking 35 goals (50-15) out of the Flames roster moves you from 8th in goals for (where you finished in 08-09) to 22nd overall ahead of only MIN, OTT, NSH, TBL, PHX, LAK, NYR, NYI and COL and tell me where they finished last year. For arguments sake this trade keeps you about even on defence while adding a top winger on offence. The question then becomes are you better off with Cammalleri or Heatley on your team. I would choose Heatley but maybe I'm biased . Finally throw Jokinen in there and now you have something special...

FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:35 PM
soulj43r

Offence isn't the Flames' problem...it's damn DEFENCE. This team is probably better off with Phaneuf and J-Bo than J-Bo and Heater...J-Bo and Heater is probably equal to Phaneuf and Cammy and that got us no where in the playoffs this year.

soulj43r is offline   Reply With Quote