HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"We have five teams where we think there's a possibility"-Gainey

Old
06-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Alfie Turcotte

vCash: 500
Trying to be creative

Kovalchuck
Lecavalier

Brad Richards
Joe Thornton

or smaller deal with UFA center

Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Derick Brassard

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Kappei

Antropov is more injury prone than any center listed in this thread. Like Marleau he is also better suited on the wing, and shouldn't be an option.

I think Briere gets too much hate because he looks like a little girl. That fist pump of his also god damn annoying. He's only signed till he's in his mid 30's instead of till he's 40 though, and his cap hit is closer to 6 million than 7. He's also pretty high on the list of players who've scored the most points in the post season since the lockout, and I don't think that's true of any other center being rumored.

Still though, that fist pump of his makes me want to punch him.

Kappei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Ginu

A couple of things that I get out of this. First, if you combine this with his statement that he can't give Tanguay a solid number right now, considering Tanguay is a winger, this means that Gainey isn't looking only for a centreman. In my opinion, this gives credence to Montreal going hard after the Sedin twins, in addition to Vinny. The other option is Briere + Gagne. It's going to be one hell of a required effort but he seems much more vocal than normal, confident, and firm in his desire to change the core of the team.

The 5 teams then are:
Vancouver (rights to Sedins) - low draft pick
Philly (Briere + Gagne) - prospect + draft pick
Tampa (Lecavalier) - two roster players, prospect, draft pick
Calgary (Jokinen) - draft pick
who's the fifth team? Marleau isn't a centre.

Ginu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Shabutie

I have a feeling we're going to get Dubinsky or something of the sort...

Not expecting something overly big. Obviously the target is still Vinny, but I think that ship has sailed. I would be okay with acquiring Dubinsky and adding say Havlat or Gaborik.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
No way the Rangers trade Dubinsky! Their non-overpaid good players have tremendous value to them because they already have 30 million going to a bunch of overpaid over the hill guys that are average at best.
Dubinsky is RFA and could be looking to get 3.5-4m per. Obviously they will try to unload Rozival/Redden/Gomez/Drury before...but Dubinsky could possibly be shipped off.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Andy

Although it would seem useless, If i were Gainey I'd consider offering a roster prospect ala Higgins or Plekanec with a conditional third rounder for the rights of the Sedin twins just to get a jump start on negotiations because I'm afraid teams will outbid Gainey's offers for them.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
A couple of things that I get out of this. First, if you combine this with his statement that he can't give Tanguay a solid number right now, considering Tanguay is a winger, this means that Gainey isn't looking only for a centreman. In my opinion, this gives credence to Montreal going hard after the Sedin twins, in addition to Vinny. The other option is Briere + Gagne. It's going to be one hell of a required effort but he seems much more vocal than normal, confident, and firm in his desire to change the core of the team.

The 5 teams then are:
Tampa (Lecavalier) - two roster players, prospect, draft pick
Calgary (Jokinen) - draft pick
why oh god why would we get the rights for two days of the sedins.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
why oh god why would we get the rights for two days of the sedins.
Because we can negotiate with them pretty easily. It would be a quick negotiation. Plus, then we have 2 of the 5 teams to determine, not just 1 haha.

Ginu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:50 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
Please Mr.Gainey don't spend money on Briere and Gomez, they won't improve our team and there salary are ridiculous
their salaries are ridiculous .... but they would still improve our team....

we have lapierre and metropolit confirmed for next year ...thats all.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:38 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Yes to:
Vinny (but he won't get traded - to anyone)
Marleau
H. Sedin
Arnott
Kopitar Why do you suppose LA would be trading him?

No to:
Briere (size, injuries)
Gomez (dick)
Thornton (choker)

The likelihood of this bunch being moved? Sedin, Marleau and maybe Kopitar - that's it.
1) All that are bolded would be good contributors to this team so long as they are acquired for a reasonable price.
2)LA, probably is not trading Kopitar. It makes no sense, unless we are trading Price.
3)Maybe if the other players on San Jose could play in the playoffs, Joe would have shed this ridiculous label by now. Remember back when Datsyuk was a playoff choker? It was 2.5 seasons ago, now he is a god.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Because we can negotiate with them pretty easily. It would be a quick negotiation. Plus, then we have 2 of the 5 teams to determine, not just 1 haha.
We only need to wait about 23 hours now.

Heniel and Danrik, Welcome to the Montreal Canadiens!!!

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 04:23 AM
odishabs

Jeff Carter, Philly has cap problems and we all know after next year Carter is an RFA and he's already making 5,000,000

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:28 AM
MrNasty

Quote:
A couple of things that I get out of this. First, if you combine this with his statement that he can't give Tanguay a solid number right now, considering Tanguay is a winger, this means that Gainey isn't looking only for a centreman. In my opinion, this gives credence to Montreal going hard after the Sedin twins, in addition to Vinny. The other option is Briere + Gagne. I

The 5 teams then are:

It does make sense that he is going after both a LW and a Centre. hence the reason he offered Kovalev a contract and not Tanguay. Marleau has played centre regularly until Thornton went to San Jose. Another guy rumoured available is LW Clowe. I would add Marleau/Clowe as an option.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:42 AM
stanley25

How bout minny maybe we might get mikko would love to have him and saku playing for us anyone think this might be a possibility
Posted via Mobile Device

stanley25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:43 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Lecavalier
Marleau
Briere
Kopitar
J.Staal.

Those are my 5

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:45 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Whatever the case may be, we are built to tank for the coming years! Wooo Now we can draft Taylor Hall! Go Bob!

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:27 AM
DanKramerHabs
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to DanKramerHabs
I'm really scared it's Gomez or Drury. I don't want a piece of either of those contracts. But with Gainey talking about having 5 targeted teams, and the Rangers looking at Heatley, I have to think they're on the list.

Hopefully something better works out!

DanKramerHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Courtnall6

Gomez better not be an option, he is one of the biggest wastes of money in the league..

Courtnall6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:38 AM
shutehinside

I don't think Briere is on the radar because he coul be had for a bag if pucks right now.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Whatever the case may be, we are built to tank for the coming years! Wooo Now we can draft Taylor Hall! Go Bob!
And what's great it's that during a summer dev. camp for Team Canada last summer, guess who had a great chemistry with Taylor Hall......Louis Leblanc!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Newhabfan

Gainey is despereate to get Vinny. But the problem is that it's hard to negotiate when the other side knows you're desperate. So you need to convince them they are not your only option.

So I would bet there are a max of 2 possible teams.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:21 AM
strutsboa

I think it would be stupidity for us to trade away assets for a Centerman if Sedins are available. The only time I would encourage trading away prospects and picks is when contending for the cup and lets face it, we aren't close to that now.

We have great propsects, a top #1 D-Men, good third and fourth-line players, a potential franchise goalie. The "only" thing we really need to become great, is first-line players.

I don't want to get those first-line players by digging a big hole among our prospects when Sedins, Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat etc are available. If we can't attract any good UFA:s without overpay alot, then try again next year. Don't trade away our future to became a decent team that lose in 1st or 2nd round, it's not worth it.

By the way, I would sign Komi at about $4.500M even if Markov $5.750, Hamrlik $5.500 and Komisarek $4.500 together would be a bit pricey for now. When Hamrliks contract expires we would be very happy with Komisarek at our team.

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Who ever thinks the Kings might wanna trade Kopitar to us and we have what they would need in return(nothing) is really crazy,ain't gonna happen if we wanted him we should have drafted him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Puckhead58*

The Sedins would be awesome. I would gladly take two 80 point players at a cap hit of about $5.5-$6.5 million a season for 10 years.

I would also take Lecavalier too. Even though his contract is ugly, we would be getting an elite player in return for the next 10 years. Totally worth it in my eyes....providing we don't have to give up too much.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Briere. He is a tiny little rat who is battling injuries because he can't handle the rough play. He didn't want to sign here a couple years ago, so why should we take him now and help the Flyers make some cap room?

Marleau wouldn't be a bad choice either. His contract is nice too with only 1 season at $6.3 million remaining. He might just need a fresh start in a city where hockey means something to get him out of his playoff slump.

Jokinen would be another good choice too. He's big and needs a place to play. He can put up points but he doesn't always seem interested the whole season long and goes on slumps. Doesn't seem to work all that hard all the time either.

I trust that Gainey will get something done to improve the look of our team. He knows where our weaknesses are and he has the roster space and cap space to fix the problem areas. I can't wait to see how things go over the next 2 or 3 days.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

is Mike Sillinger still available?

that is more gainey`s style.

at this point, i think we may start looking at Taylor Hall.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote