HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"We have five teams where we think there's a possibility"-Gainey

Old
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
FinnHab

vCash: 500
Lol, Bob is really gambling. Imagine if hes strategy goes horribly wrong..intresting days just ahead guys!! End of Gainey and Koivu era?

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab73 View Post
Lol, Bob is really gambling. Imagine if hes strategy goes horribly wrong..intresting days just ahead guys!! End of Gainey and Koivu era?
Or it could be the beginning of the OMG we will never doubt you again Gainey era. Though it probably wouldn't last long. Even if Gainey brought in Crosby, after 2 months, fans will get back to bashing him saying he crippled us cap wise and bla bla bla, he's bald and doesn't smile bla bla Roy is better...

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:40 AM
boundless

choker or not and i know this won't happen, but I cream at the thought of Joe Thornton on our team.

Imagine him on a line with AKost? On a PP with Kovy?

boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Yeah, we should play it safe and be predictable. End up with a 6th place finish in the East season in and season out and the 16th pick the draft. That's a recipe for success.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Yeah, we should play it safe and be predictable. End up with a 6th place finish in the East season in and season out and the 16th pick the draft. That's a recipe for success.
I didnt mean that. This new strategy, i wonder what cause it? New ownership or did Gainey saw our team true "face" when he was behind the bench? I hope he is succesful, our team needs facelift...

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:08 PM
THE HOFF

Gainey gives me the impression that he needs to be on the winning end of a trade in order to pull the trigger. The thing is ... if you're not even ready to let higgins and gorges go for an elite player, what do you expect ?

I'd rather take a couple of years to build on better best players ... than keep knocking our heads against the wall with guys like higgins and pay them top 6 salary cuz we have nobody else.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:10 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
Gainey gives me the impression that he needs to be on the winning end of a trade in order to pull the trigger. The thing is ... if you're not even ready to let higgins and gorges go for an elite player, what do you expect ?

I'd rather take a couple of years to build on better best players ... than keep knocking our heads against the wall with guys like higgins and pay them top 6 salary cuz we have nobody else.
Who said Bob wasn't willing to give up Higgins and Gorges for Vinny. By accounts, he was trying to make the trade, but TB backed out.

And how is Higgins not a top 6 player? 27 goals and 3-time 20 goal scorer says top 6 player to me. A bad season does not a career make.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
A bad season does not a career make.
It does in Montreal. That's why a bunch of people put in Higgins, Plekanec and the Kosts in trades as fillers almost. Chip ins. Yet one year ago that would have been complete lunacy.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
It does in Montreal. That's why a bunch of people put in Higgins, Plekanec and the Kosts in trades as fillers almost. Chip ins. Yet one year ago that would have been complete lunacy.
If it were only fans, I wouldn't mind that, but now big wigs in the media like Yvon Pednault are turning into complete lunatics like this. Medias have a responsability to be objective and offer decent analysis, yet, a lot of them are now just being emotional Gainey bashers with little or no fact to back it up. I hate that, especially since there are many fans out there that take what they write for granted and go by it. A big cleanup should be done there too!

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Do you guys not know who you're talking about? When have you known Gainey to gamble?

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Do you guys not know who you're talking about. When have you known Gainey to gamble?
This is what makes this whole bet-the-farm approach he seems to be taking this year so intriguing. It seems out of character for Gainey to apparently risk being forced to ice a roster that'd look like a lottery team if not for Markov.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
This is what makes this whole bet-the-farm approach he seems to be taking this year so intriguing. It seems out of character for Gainey to apparently risk being forced to ice a roster that'd look like a lottery team if not for Markov.
And that's the problem. With Markov and Kovalev, we will never be a lottery team. So we better fill out the roster, or this team is headed for Toronto-esque mediocrity.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Go Habs Go

Tampa isn't trading Lecavalier for Gorges and Higgins and some draft picks. They want a piece of our core. If its Markov...seriously, it doesn't make us better, it makes us worst. Our defense is the weakest part of our team and the only reason its not laughable is because of Markov. Lose him without replacing him would mean lottery pick. Lecavalier can't score enough goals to make up for the bombardment Price will see every night. Its not about being unwilling to give the right pieces, its about evaluating our own team and seeing what deal can actually make us BETTER. Making trades and changes for the sake of it is simply stupid.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Kappei

Marleau was originally a center, but San Jose didn't really have other options and he's a better winger. He's never been a good key faceoff guy, and doesn't stack up well against large centers because he's not very aggressive. He's horribly inconsistent, and goes on streakier scoring spurts than anyone on the Habs, including A Kost and Higgs. He's relatively big compared to most of our centers, and pretty skilled, but if he's not a relatively cheap deal it will be a backwards move in my opinion.

Kappei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Briere isn't a big #1 center, so he's out. Carter may be considered one. Same for Gomez.

This five teams comment make me even more scared. It means Gainey is betting the house and has nothing firm right now.

?

I could not read the rest of this thread without commenting on this post.

How could anything be firm right now? It is before July 1st.

Fail.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Tampa isn't trading Lecavalier for Gorges and Higgins and some draft picks. They want a piece of our core. If its Markov...seriously, it doesn't make us better, it makes us worst. Our defense is the weakest part of our team and the only reason its not laughable is because of Markov. Lose him without replacing him would mean lottery pick. Lecavalier can't score enough goals to make up for the bombardment Price will see every night. Its not about being unwilling to give the right pieces, its about evaluating our own team and seeing what deal can actually make us BETTER. Making trades and changes for the sake of it is simply stupid.
They don't get anything from our core. For them to give up Lecavalier, you have to understand his contract lowers his value. The lightning can't pay his contract without really hurting and the leagues knows that. TB wants something big for him, but no one will give it to him. Markov is worth more(remember value not only includes skill and talent, but the contract) then Vinny, simply because he makes a lot less and produces like a top 5 D-men in this league. They simply won't get what they want, which either means we don't get him(no one gets him) or TB losses a bit on the deal. I like to refer to the Thorton trade when we talk about Vinny, 3 role players went to Boston, 1 top 6, 1 top 4 D and a grinder for the HART winning Thorton... For TB to expect the moon for Vinny, they are dreaming.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
If it were only fans, I wouldn't mind that, but now big wigs in the media like Yvon Pednault are turning into complete lunatics like this. Medias have a responsability to be objective and offer decent analysis, yet, a lot of them are now just being emotional Gainey bashers with little or no fact to back it up. I hate that, especially since there are many fans out there that take what they write for granted and go by it. A big cleanup should be done there too!
Put it to you this way, anyone who takes bases their hockey opinions on what gets said on MTL radio, written in MTL papers or shown on MTL TV deserve to be misled.

I do not care if Pedneault is a HOF'r (who voted him in, his friends?), his opinion is of zero value to me. I had to suffer his paper-thin play by play analysis for years. He was never able to understand the game as it was played. His opinion of hockey, and the opinion of my coffee mug carry the same weight.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:53 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
How could anything be firm right now? It is before July 1st.

Fail.
He's looking to trade for a big #1 center, so he could absolutely have something done or all-but-done before July 1st.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
So you talked to Gainey?

Wait to see how it plays out, then you can laugh all you want.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote