HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nobody wants Heatley.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:11 PM
taunting canadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Yawn. Get back to me on July 2nd.
Isn't Murray planning on keeping him after July 1st?

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaters not lazt View Post
He'll stay with the Sens. Another 100 point season probably.
Want to avatar bet this claim?

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SenatorArmy

Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
there is no arm or leg. No team has offered anything close to fair value for Heatley because they know Murray is in a tight spot & they think he'll panic. But once they see he's serious about making HEatley play here next year, I believe you'll see some serious offers. And if not, that's fine, he can play for us.

SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
Isn't Murray planning on keeping him after July 1st?
That doesn't mean teams won't offer things after July 1 - it just means he might no longer be available.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:15 PM
joolzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
But once they see he's serious about making HEatley play here next year, I believe you'll see some serious offers. And if not, that's fine, he can play for us.
That's the spirit! I think this is what everyone should hope for.

joolzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Pyke*

By the by, on TSN, the article on Nobody wanting Heatley is refuted:
Dany Heatley could be traded before July 1, but it's going to take a significant offer from the New York Rangers or the Edmonton Oilers -- the two clubs seemingly most interested in the goal-scoring winger -- to get it done.

Sources say the Ottawa Senators do not have a trade offer from those teams, or anyone else, that is deemed worth of acceptance and the list of suitors looks as though it's getting shorter rather than longer. The St. Louis Blues and Los Angeles Kings appear to have pulled out of the sweepstakes, leaving the Rangers, Oilers and Sharks as considerations.

Heatley is owed a $4 million signing bonus on July 1. If the Senators pay it, and absent an improved trade they will have to, Ottawa may simply decide to hold onto Heatley in spite of his desire to play elsewhere or the post-July 1 acquisition price will go up accordingly and the team getting Heatley may have to take back other players in order for Ottawa to reconcile their accounts.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
there is no arm or leg. No team has offered anything close to fair value for Heatley because they know Murray is in a tight spot & they think he'll panic. But once they see he's serious about making HEatley play here next year, I believe you'll see some serious offers. And if not, that's fine, he can play for us.
The following scenario's been playing around in my head...and if it played out this way, I'd be interested in seeing what happens:

He gets stuck on the Sens roster. Because the locker room is such an uncomfortable place to be, and his teammates don't care much for him, his production is heinous. He's just not into it. Couldn't care less. He's already gotten his bonus, and his contract dictates he gets paid his boatload of money come hell or high water. Now he's a highly paid, "locker room cancer" that's also underperforming.

He's not providing the Senators any value on the ice, and can't fetch any in a trade either. They jettison him for whatever they can get (which is WAY less than what they ever imagined getting in return), and he lights it up on his new team.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Crosscheck your life

Heatley speculation makes my face burst and gush laughter

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM
SenatorArmy

Well let's face it. Where does most of the sports media come from? Toronto. The last thing they want to see is Ottawa get a good return on HEatley. So maybe there's somewhat of an underlying media conspiracy. Hehhhehee. Oh it was also the media that leaked the Heatley trade request. Thanks alot EJ Hradek.

Old
TheGudge

Quote:
Ottawa may simply decide to hold onto Heatley in spite of his desire to play elsewhere or the post-July 1 acquisition price will go up accordingly and the team getting Heatley may have to take back other players in order for Ottawa to reconcile their accounts.
That's a stretch

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
If Heatley wanted to...he could flounder around in Ottawa for the duration of his contract, and retire a very young, filthy rich, former locker room cancer that once requested a trade and never got it.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:25 PM
backs4mvp

Teams won't offer anything of extreme value with Hossa and Gaborik about to enter free agency. Any team interested in Heatley, would gladly settle for either of these players while giving up zero assets. Until their future is certain, and those teams that don't sign either player, will give some much better offers for Heatley.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
SenatorArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
The following scenario's been playing around in my head...and if it played out this way, I'd be interested in seeing what happens:

He gets stuck on the Sens roster. Because the locker room is such an uncomfortable place to be, and his teammates don't care much for him, his production is heinous. He's just not into it. Couldn't care less. He's already gotten his bonus, and his contract dictates he gets paid his boatload of money come hell or high water. Now he's a highly paid, "locker room cancer" that's also underperforming.

He's not providing the Senators any value on the ice, and can't fetch any in a trade either. They jettison him for whatever they can get (which is WAY less than what they ever imagined getting in return), and he lights it up on his new team.
In the event that Heatley DOES play for us, then I'd disagree. I think you'll see a spectacular season out of HEatley. It's in his interest to perform so that ANY other team out there will actually want to make a pitch for him. I also think he'd do his best to make up with his teammates to make his remaining time here as smooth as possible. Already there is minimal interest, Heatley CANNOT afford to diminish his value further, otherwise he'll be stuck in Ottawa forever. Sure he'll have his money, but that's not what he cares about. he wants to play hockey. Also it wouldn't look very good for his olympic bid if he bummed around for a season;

Old
06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Heatley = Millhouse?

I don't know why, but this made me laugh pretty hard.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Teams won't offer anything of extreme value with Hossa and Gaborik about to enter free agency. Any team interested in Heatley, would gladly settle for either of these players while giving up zero assets. Until their future is certain, and those teams that don't sign either player, will give some much better offers for Heatley.
This is also true. If you're going to take a large cap hit anyway, why not just get a player almost as good for nothing?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
SenatorArmy

Quote:
that's a little misleading. There's no such thing as giving up nothing. If they want those free agents they have to give up MONEY for them. Players and money are pretty much the same thing. Any team that wants Heatley just has to trade players, which yes, are assets, but no more of an asset than money is. but yeah I agree, one the big name free agents are out of the way, Dany Heatley will be the hottest commodity on the NHL Market, by far.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:36 PM
bdp

I heard Gaborik is gonna sign a contract with NYR, EDM, LA, SJ, STL, MIN, CGY, VAN and DAL all at the same time. Nobody's gonna want Heater now

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Retail1LO

Quote:
that's a little misleading. There's no such thing as giving up nothing. If they want those free agents they have to give up MONEY for them. Players and money are pretty much the same thing. Any team that wants Heatley just has to trade players, which yes, are assets, but no more of an asset than money is. but yeah I agree, one the big name free agents are out of the way, Dany Heatley will be the hottest commodity on the NHL Market, by far.
Talk about misleading...

They'd have to give up players for him (and likely picks), AND give him money. The guy doesn't work for free. Far from. That's the problem.

Free agents only cost money. Heatley's going to cost personnel AND a boatload of loot.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:44 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Yes.. but they also give up money for Heatley, but instead use it on either of those two, while not giving up extra assets.

And if you mean they'll need to overpay.. it won't be much higher then Heatley's production/$ value to make a big enough differance.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Retail1LO

Dany Heatley: "Nobody wants me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat some worms."

LOL

Old
06-29-2009, 10:49 PM
s7ark

Quote:
I dunno about this. By my count any team after Heatley would also be willing to sign Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat, or Cammy for a loss of no assets. After those 4 teams are off the list, how many teams will be left shopping for a top line forward? Not to mention other guys available via trade like Vinnie Marleau or Kessel. If their asking price is lower then Heatley's, teams will chase these guys first too. So that is potentially 7 suitors you can cross off the list come early July if Murray keeps trying to swing for the fences. Then you are really getting into slim pickings.

I think the best return Murray will get is one of the offers already on the table. Wasn't there a Minnie offer supposed to be near good enough for BM? Sure there may be some fallout from the trade but then he can move on and rebuild and challenge again soon, like Boston did post-Thornton. Spezza and Alfie are still solid pieces to build around no matter the return.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
SenatorArmy

It's absolutely untrue that the Rangers are the only team interested. Bob McKenzie on TSN just said that the number of teams interesting are just decreasing. He says the only team with offers on the table RIGHT NOW are the Rangers & the Oilers...

Old
06-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Wyrm

Quote:
Errrr ... the fair price/value by definition is the max of what people offer you, not what you want it to cost. For example, lots of people want to sell their houses now for king's ransom. Yet, the fair price is way below that level.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:56 PM
North

To be completely forthright, Murray is not going to hit a home run with this trade. If the threat is that he is going to keep Heatley if they have to pay the 4 mill than that is ridiculous. Keeping a disgruntled player is a surefire way to make trouble in the locker room.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Here is Poile's take on the Heatley situation. Not surprising a lot of team haven't shown interest in him. Of course, this could also just be your typical David Poile smokescreen...

Quote:
Poile confirmed Friday that the Predators wanted no part of the Dany Heatley trade sweepstakes, and not just because the high-scoring Ottawa winger will be making an average of $7 million over the next five seasons.

Poile was less than impressed that word of Heatley's desire to be traded became public, hampering the ability of Senators GM Bryan Murray to get the best deal possible.

"It would have been best to go quietly to them and said, 'It's not working out. I'm not going to say anything. But can you do this and we'll work together?''' Poile said.

"Bryan Murray would be in a lot better shape because he could just call teams up and say, 'I'm going to change things up and I'm going to move Heatley.' ''

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote