HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anyone else think Koivu is overrated in his

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Schwang

vCash: 500
Anyone else think Koivu is overrated in his

own end? I love the guy, but jeez, he is terrible covering his man in his own end. He completely let Samsonov go in OT last night! He had him, then let him go right to the net. I've seen him do that many times this year. What happened to him. He used to be better in his own end. Plus he made some really crappy passes on the PP. Bad game all around!

Old
03-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Kirk Muller

Yah because guys missing coverage NEVER happens in hockey even to the best defensive players.

Old
03-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Perfect_Gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang
own end? I love the guy, but jeez, he is terrible covering his man in his own end. He completely let Samsonov go in OT last night! He had him, then let him go right to the net. I've seen him do that many times this year. What happened to him. He used to be better in his own end. Plus he made some really crappy passes on the PP. Bad game all around!

Not sure about this but I think Markov was supposed to be taking care of Samsanov in front of the net. He tried to catch him after he saw that he was all alone in front, but he got there too late. Koivu is suposed to take care of the other team's Center, not the Left Winger.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:09 PM
mcphee

I think he's good in the games that he plays well, but not as good in the games in which he doesn't. I also think that the opposition should never get credit for their play. It's all about how the Habs play.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:15 PM
habitual_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I think he's good in the games that he plays well, but not as good in the games in which he doesn't. I also think that the opposition should never get credit for their play. It's all about how the Habs play.

Sounds like Pat Quinn's post-game comment writer. "The Refs were abysmal, our team was abysmal." Never any credit to the opposition. A future in Canadian politics, perhaps?

Old
03-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I like your thinking.

Schwang: did you see Bulis hand the puck to Gonchar when he had a clearing attempt while penalty killing? It was a nice tape to tape pass. Mistakes happen to the best of players.

I don't think Koivu is overrated defensively because few find him above average defensively. He certainly makes mistakes, but I would challenge you to find a Canadien that goes mistake free in any one game.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:22 PM
mcphee

i get the impression sometimes that posters think whoever the Habs play against are a constant like the players in a table hockey game.[at which I'm a champion] or the Washington Generals lining up against the Globetrotters. The Habs can play well and still lose, the top 5 teams in the east are of unusual high calibre this year. The fun thing about the playoffs is to see if your team can find a away to overcome adversity, whether it be size,speed, talent etc. The best team doesn't always win. A team like Anaheim gets it in their heads that they can't lose and they stretch NJ to 7 in the final.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Gravity
Not sure about this but I think Markov was supposed to be taking care of Samsanov in front of the net. He tried to catch him after he saw that he was all alone in front, but he got there too late. Koivu is suposed to take care of the other team's Center, not the Left Winger.
You are absolutely correct, Samsonov was Markov's man.

Old
03-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Howie Morenz

It may be the tired affect. Imagine having to do double the work in your end the whole game. Perreault is on Saku's wing,right?

Old
03-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet
*buzzzzz* You don't have to watch too closely to see that Markov was covering the puck carrier. Koivu was on Sammy but pealed off... not sure where Markov's D-partner was.

But I DO notice that Koivu hasn't been playing well the past few games. Hope he picks it up soon, we need him.

Old
03-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet

Markov smashing his stick at the bench leads me to believe he felt himself, that he made the mistake. Don't want to act like I am in his head, but the rest of the team seemed happy just to clinch and get off the ice.

Old
03-28-2004, 03:04 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Morenz
It may be the tired affect. Imagine having to do double the work in your end the whole game. Perreault is on Saku's wing,right?
I've had the impression the last few games that Koivu and Ribeiro have hit a bit of a wall and might be showing a bit of fatigue. They've both carried a load offensively and have seemed a bit stale the last few games.

Old
03-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
I've had the impression the last few games that Koivu and Ribeiro have hit a bit of a wall and might be showing a bit of fatigue. They've both carried a load offensively and have seemed a bit stale the last few games.
I second that. It's surprising that they were able to provide as much for so long considering they are our top 2 centers and are both on the small side. And it's not like our wingers are big either...

I hope they're just recharging their batteries for the playoffs.

Anyone knows precisely how much time there is between the last regular season game and our first playoffs game ? Might it be a good thing to give them a bit of a rest after the NYI game ? I don't think we'll be catching NJ anyway. Or would it be better to try to build as much chemistry as we can with our lines and go into the playoffs with momentum ?

Old
03-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
It's better to build momentum because in any sport, it aint healthy to play laid back and then come time to play BIG all of a sudden have a hard working atmosphere, it needs to come before playoffs IMO. Speaking of taking a break, I read an article in the Ottawa Citizen saying chicago is definitly trying to lose every game now(as seen against the wild)to get top pick in draft, that's sad why not though

P.S. They will have about 4 days rest before playoffs.

Old
03-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Habsolution

Thank you Brisson11

Old
03-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Perfect_Gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
*buzzzzz* You don't have to watch too closely to see that Markov was covering the puck carrier. Koivu was on Sammy but pealed off... not sure where Markov's D-partner was.

But I DO notice that Koivu hasn't been playing well the past few games. Hope he picks it up soon, we need him.
Markov's partner was holding up another player right beside the net and has his back to samsanov. I think it was Rivet, he could have tied up either Samsonov or the other guy.

Not sure where koivu was, but if they were playing man to man coverage then koivu should have had the other team's Center, with the defenders taking the wingers and the CH wingers taking the point men.

If they were playing zone coverage then yes koivu should have had the slot.

But it's not a big deal it happens some time, i'm not bashing Koivu or Markov.

Closed Thread