HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyle Trade Could Cost Kessel Opportunity

Old
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
This is just stupid. Most annoying is that the article is spun as if there was some sort of deal on the table, which Sather effed up. You have to read for a while before you realize that what Uncle Larry means is that the trade of the 3rd cost them the ability to make an offer on a - or rather ANY - RFA.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:08 AM
SomE

Ya ok Brooks. Brian Boyle is the reason the Rangers won't get Kessel. You ******

SomE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Ya ok Brooks. Brian Boyle is the reason the Rangers won't get Kessel. You ******
That's what he says. He does say that dealing the third for Boyle means the Rangers can't out an offer out to him.

06-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Levitate

I think a more accurate description of the situation would be that since the Rangers traded a 3rd round pick for Boyle, they never had any intention of offer sheeting Kessel in the first place.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:34 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think a more accurate description of the situation would be that since the Rangers traded a 3rd round pick for Boyle, they never had any intention of offer sheeting Kessel in the first place.
What other RFA's are out there? Although Brooks' article focuses on Kessel, his point applies to any RFA who would be looking for 5-6 million who would be worth the contract.

Maybe they didn't have any intention of making an offer sheet to a top level RFA. But can Sather see the future? How do they know how the UFA process is going to play out? What if none of their targeted UFA's want to come here and they aren't able to land an offensive player in a trade?

Then mid-July making an offer to Kessel or another top RFA seems like a decent option. But they eliminate the option by trading their 3rd for a guy who may or may not even be good enough to make our team.

Personally I think Brooks' best point is the Boyle-Sjostrom comparison. Sjostrom was a huge part of our biggest strength last season, our PK. We let him walk for nothing then traded a 3rd round pick for a player making just as much who has proven less at the NHL level.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
get the **** outta here Brooksie.

Quote:
What other RFA's are out there? Although Brooks' article focuses on Kessel, his point applies to any RFA who would be looking for 5-6 million who would be worth the contract.
S-A-L-A-RY C-A-P

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post

Maybe they didn't have any intention of making an offer sheet to a top level RFA. But can Sather see the future? How do they know how the UFA process is going to play out? What if none of their targeted UFA's want to come here and they aren't able to land an offensive player in a trade?

Then mid-July making an offer to Kessel or another top RFA seems like a decent option. But they eliminate the option by trading their 3rd for a guy who may or may not even be good enough to make our team.

Personally I think Brooks' best point is the Boyle-Sjostrom comparison. Sjostrom was a huge part of our biggest strength last season, our PK. We let him walk for nothing then traded a 3rd round pick for a player making just as much who has proven less at the NHL level.
Or, just maybe, Sather isn't planning on making any significant moves via UFA or RFA, regardless of whether he could squeeze them in under the cap. The talk so far has been of a real youth movement.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Or, just maybe, Sather isn't planning on making any significant moves via UFA or RFA, regardless of whether he could squeeze them in under the cap. The talk so far has been of a real youth movement.
He has to do something big. He's already fired his coach. He needs to give his new coach a team that he can play his style of play.

Too me, it's too late to now say, "You know, we're going to go with youth and see what happens." That's a poorly disguised excuse because your hands are tied because of the lousy contracts you've handed out the last two summers.

I also think Lil Jimmy has rather enjoyed the additional revenue he's received from the playoff games.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Oh Larry..

I don't think an offer sheet is a weapon Sather will be pulling anytime soon. In a cap world, draft picks are vital to a teams success. Kessel is a great player, but he's inconsistent and I'm incredibly weary of giving out deals to guys that had a break-out year in the last year of their contract.
Exactly. With the cap situation this team is in, we really can not afford to give up our picks to add more salary. This would put us in even more of a rough spot because we have less space to sign our young players and no young talent coming up. Bad idea to give up cheap youth to add expensive players when you are against the wall with the cap already.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:21 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'd be all for that. But that NEVER happens in NY, and anyone who's a fan of a NY team knows that. There's too much pressure from the media and ownership and advertisers and corporations buying season tickets to have a real youth movement.

We were terrible offensively, which is being kind. We had barely 5-6 players who could score 20 goals in the NHL. I'd say Callahan (with a breakout year) or Drury (with a comeback year) are the only guys who can score 30 this season.

Out of those 5-6 we lost Naslund, probably Antropov and maybe Zherdev. You know they have to bring in 1-2 players who can play top minutes and score goals. Let's hope Plan A and B are good and work out, because making a run at Kessel might have been Plan D or E but now it's definitely off the table.

Old
06-30-2009, 01:26 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
get the **** outta here Brooksie.

S-A-L-A-RY C-A-P
T-H-E S-A-L-A-RY C-A-P I-S 5-6 M-I-L-L-I-O-N.

Are you telling me you can't fit a 5 million contract under a 56 million salary cap? If Wayne Gretzky came back is his prime and wanted to play for us for 5 million, you'd tell him no, there's a salary cap?

If you don't think Kessel is worth the money, fine. But you can't say no to every option because there's a salary cap. That's just a poor excuse for not doing anything to improve your team. It's a long summer, if salary needs to be moved to make the team better they have plenty of time to do it.

Old
06-30-2009, 02:08 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I just hope Sather was aware of what Brooks is yapping about (or that someone in the organization informed him of it) before he made the trade.

I wasn't, but I'm not the GM. It's something a GM should know.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Stuff
Nah, I think it's pretty obvious Sather doesn't want to give anyone an offer sheet and give up all the draft picks it'd take

Using the offer sheet to sign guys is bad asset management in my opinion

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:22 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Nah, I think it's pretty obvious Sather doesn't want to give anyone an offer sheet and give up all the draft picks it'd take

Using the offer sheet to sign guys is bad asset management in my opinion
Kessel is 21. He's still prospect age but has scored 36 goals in the NHL already. One of the most talented young guys in the league. He's more valuable today than our 2010 1st and 2nd round picks plus Brian Boyle. And I don't think it's even close. So no way I would call giving him an offer sheet bad asset management.

Old
06-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Trading for Boyle didn't "cost" the Rangers a chance at Kessel. Sather obviously had no intention of ever making a run at Kessel via the offer sheet method.

Even if Sather hadn't traded for Boyle, I don't think you see the Rangers even consider an offer sheet.
Exactly. Sather is old school. I highly doubt we will EVER see him make an offer sheet to someone. With the kids that we have now and coming up, you don't want to piss off GMs and make yourself a target for retribution down the road.

Draft Guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:34 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06292009...sel_176664.htm

I think it's more of wishful thinking on Brooks' part.

Exactly. Slow day at the Post so Brooks doctors up some speculation that there was a possibility Kessel could have come to NY.

There is also a possibility that Gisele will leave Tom Brady for me. It wont happen, but there's still a small chance.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:04 PM
ecemleafs

what about just trading for kessel?

McDonagh
Zherdev

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
what about just trading for kessel?

McDonagh
Zherdev
I think Boston would be looking for an NHL ready, puck moving d-man. Zherdev isn't under contract yet, and he still carries the tag of a flight risk. A guy that could jump to Russia and a guy who's stock is falling isn't much of a package for a guy of Kessel's caliber.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:46 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Exactly. Sather is old school. I highly doubt we will EVER see him make an offer sheet to someone. With the kids that we have now and coming up, you don't want to piss off GMs and make yourself a target for retribution down the road.
Adding to that; Considering his track record & what just went down with Gainey, do we really want Sather to piss off any GM's in the slightest way possible?

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:43 PM
D713B

Way to sell papers Brooksie.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote