HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sedins Will TEST FREE AGENCY.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Sedins Will TEST FREE AGENCY.

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...ee-agency.aspx

Quote:
The Canucks have long planned for their negotiation with the Sedin twins to go to the midnight hour. It appears now, however, it could go even later,
After hearing the Canucks last-ditch effort, and more importantly, receiving a sweetened offer from the Canucks, the Sedins told expressen.se that they will entertain offers from other teams beginning July 1. "We will not agree with the Canucks on Tuesday, we will listen to what the other interested clubs in the NHL has to offer," Henrik told expressen.se.

If it does go to Wednesday, the Canucks will give the twins a small window of opportunity where they could potentially test free agency before coming back to Vancouver.
Part of the intrigue on July 1 is that no one has a good feel for exactly how much money and how much term other teams will be willing to offer the Sedins.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman left Sweden today after finally improving their long-standing offer of a five-year deal which could have paid the twins about $5.75 million.
It's believed the Canucks offered at least $6 million a year in a last-second deal designed to put pressure on the Sedins.

The Canucks had long planned to sweeten their offer at the wire.
It's a gamble and it doesn't seem like it was enough to convince the twins to agree to a deal. But this is a situation where both sides want one.
It leaves the ball in the Sedins court and they must now think about how much Vancouver means to them, and, also, how much playing for a playoff team means. Because the Canucks are that, a playoff team, with Roberto Luongo and the Sedins on the ice together. If the twins start looking around the league at their potential suitors they will see nothing but unknown quantities, including Minnesota, Montreal, Toronto and L.A.
Maybe the twins can make one of those teams a postseason lock, then again it's questionable and that's something they will have to wrestle with.
Gillis has made it clear he is not a fan of the long 10- and 12-year deals which are becoming more common. But there's a chance he could reach a compromise on one of those longer-term deals if it's structured differently from the 12-year, $64 million Sedins' agent JP Barry proposed earlier this month. In that one, the twins were to receive the bulk of the money in the first five years, a stretch in which they would have been paid like Sidney Crosby

All i gotta say is *****!

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Flyers Fan Forever

vCash: 500
at the GM who signs them until they're 40

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

A. Not a "confirmed trade with link."

B. Botchford screwed up the interpretation. Several Swedish speaking posters have already confirmed that Henrik said "if we don't agree to a deal."

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

good luck to them

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
windflare

Close the thread. Botchford interpreted it in the wrong way - whether on purpose or not, I don't know - but he is sensationalizing things. Read the article carefully yourself and you can find the exact words that Henrik Sedin says, who said NOTHING about their decision as of now.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post
at the GM who signs them until they're 40
Bienvenue à Montréal.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

They'll be back.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Botchford is horrendous with actually stating facts. One of those cases where Google Translator got the wording wrong and Botchford took it and ran with it, because it can make a headline that people will read.

These journalists aren't paid to report the news, they're paid to get people to read their articles.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Flapjack*

Maybe they want a legitimate shot at winning a Cup, and dont belive they will get it in Van?

That might be the case.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Duponttime*

I never fault NHL FA's getting as much as they can. It's usually a short career and NHL players take a beating. However, I can honestly say that I hope the Sedin's totally get shafted. All they have done is pull this 2 year old garbage that they have to play on the same team together. It's about time they were taught a lesson.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Henrik never said they wanted to test the market.. He said they will if they can't agree on a deal.. It was translated wrong and many sources have confirmed this.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
The fact that we apparently offered them $6M each worries me. These guys are NOT who I want to build our team around.

Hopefully they elect to go to free agency and some team like the Leafs offers them $7M each.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Maybe they want a legitimate shot at winning a Cup, and dont belive they will get it in Van?

That might be the case.
Of all the legit Stanley Cup contenders - name me one that can fit their contracts in their roster. Note, I said *contenders* not *pretenders*. Yes there are *some* teams that can handle a $12 million cap hit - but I don't see where any of them are "contenders".

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Uhh.. their agent is on AM640 right now. They haven't made a decision yet. They are going to talk to Gillis when he lands in Vancouver tonight.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
jabberhockey

The title of this thread should be: Sedins Will TEST FREE AGENCY....if a deal cannot be reached with the Canucks before then. Somebody appears to have "botched" the translation of the Expressen.se article.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Macke*

They'll be Canucks =/

6 million a year

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I have a feeling that Gainey is going to make a grave mistake

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Macke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I have a feeling that Gainey is going to make a grave mistake
He won't get the chance.

Twins signed tonight.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Go Habs Go

Whats Vancouver going to do if The Sedins and Sundin leave? Who will be the top 2 centers? Assuming the worst case scenario, they can't land the Hossas or J-Bos, what will their lineup look like? Can they afford to let the Sedins go that easily?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Kaktus*

I have a feeling that both Burke and Gainey will offer more money less years.

6.5-7.2M a year 6-8 years type of contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Whats Vancouver going to do if The Sedins and Sundin leave? Who will be the top 2 centers? Assuming the worst case scenario, they can't land the Hossas or J-Bos, what will their lineup look like? Can they afford to let the Sedins go that easily?
Maybe add Cammalleri or Antropov or Koivu and bring Hodgson.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Likely...

#1 Another FA
#2 Kesler
#3 Hodgson

MG may go after Cammalleri then?

I honestly have no idea. I plan to just sit back and watch it unfold.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
The Sedins have been two of the most consistent, steady producers in the league. They're good for 80 points a season each, or in that neighborhood. There are few teams in the league that boast multiple 80 point players. These guys are easily worth the 5.5-6 million dollar range.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:42 PM
cityofchamps18

Darren Dregor: Canucks offer to Sedins is 5 years

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

Quote:
JP Barry joined me on Leafs Lunch.He wouldnt specify, but sounds like the Canucks offer to Sedins is 5 years.

cityofchamps18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Clock

God bless the team that gives them the contract they're looking for, duration-wise.

It always amuses me that when discussing the Sedins it's a foregone conclusion that they HAVE to be moved together. I don't even think about it anymore. Stats be damned, I just can't take these guys seriously.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
particularsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Maybe add Cammalleri or Antropov or Koivu and bring Hodgson.
yikes.

cammalleri would be alright but the other options are pretty scary. i don't think canucks fans really realize how hard it will be to replace a #1 centre like henrik.

particularsolution is offline   Reply With Quote