HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Cap/Lineup Discussion (Full contract chart 1st post)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
I don't think they are except as a last resort. I think Lovejoy is ready to make the jump. Also scary to consider we might play one guy with half an NHL season under his belt (Golorivoski) and another guy with about 5 games worth but they have to develop sometime and Letang and Eaton are up to the task of helping them out IMO.

Old
06-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Jag68Sid87

I don't get how people believe face-offs, and not scoring from the wings, will be our weakness in any attempt to repeat as Cup champs.

There's literally no room for Zigomanis or any other bottom sixer. We need one more top sixer, and that assumes that the last spot can be handled successfully by Talbot or a rookie.

Old
06-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
I don't think they are except as a last resort. I think Lovejoy is ready to make the jump. Also scary to consider we might play one guy with half an NHL season under his belt (Golorivoski) and another guy with about 5 games worth but they have to develop sometime and Letang and Eaton are up to the task of helping them out IMO.
I think Letang is going to be a monster next year. The days of us chatting about what vet defensive-Dman they should pair with Letang to cover his mistakes are gone. I've seen some posts that hint at a reluctance to see Gologiskey and Lovejoy being on a blueline with only three established vets (Gonch, Orpik, Eaton), but I think you can add Letang to the latter. He may be young, and last regular season he made a good bit of mistakes. But I think he's going to be the second best defenseman on the team this coming year. And I think Orpik is the balls (to provide some perspective).

Old
06-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I don't get how people believe face-offs, and not scoring from the wings, will be our weakness in any attempt to repeat as Cup champs.

There's literally no room for Zigomanis or any other bottom sixer. We need one more top sixer, and that assumes that the last spot can be handled successfully by Talbot or a rookie.
I don't think people want to see Zigomanis signed right now as the roster stands today. I know personally I wanted to see Dupuis traded and Zigomanis signed. Loss in cap hit + a specialty Dupuis doesn't have and the Pens could use.

Old
06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I don't know how they'll all rank but I think Letang will continue to get better offensively and the rest of his game will really solidify in terms of consistency. He's ready to help someone like Lovejoy get his feet wet. And I really don't think Goligoski needs a ton of coaching either but having Eaton back there with him will steady that pairing as well.

Old
06-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Lovejoy is Eaton's replacement (After next season)...not Scuderi's.

As Goligoski is supposed to be replacing Gill (The position--not role). So if Scuderi doesn't re-sign... I guess in fact Gill be option B.

Yeah, I don't buy that this means Zigomanis isn't coming back either. I just see us waiting out on the Scuderi/Fedotenko contracts to see what we can do with Zigomanis. He isn't going to be expensive at all, that's what makes me think mostly that he's not a lock to be gone.

Old
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I think Letang is going to be a monster next year. The days of us chatting about what vet defensive-Dman they should pair with Letang to cover his mistakes are gone. I've seen some posts that hint at a reluctance to see Gologiskey and Lovejoy being on a blueline with only three established vets (Gonch, Orpik, Eaton), but I think you can add Letang to the latter. He may be young, and last regular season he made a good bit of mistakes. But I think he's the second best defenseman on the team this coming year.
Yeah, I expect Letang, Staal and Kennedy to have a breakout year under Bylsma.

Old
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

It's a lot cheaper and easier to improve faceoffs than it is to improve the top-line wings.

There absolutely is room for Zigomanis unless his value on the open market has somehow eclipsed 7 figures suddenly overnight. Which I doubt. I think he'd sign for the same deal we gave Adams, for example, or perhaps even a one-year deal.

Old
06-30-2009, 07:05 PM
sniugneP

I'm concerned about d-men for PK unit. I know we're fine at forwards (Staal, Talbot, Cooke, Adams) but losing Scuds and Gill will hurt. Orpik is a decent PK. I'm hoping to get d-man with great PK.

Old
06-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch7187 View Post
Lovejoy is Eaton's replacement (After next season)...not Scuderi's.
Next year isn't relevant right now. It's who we have that can replace Scuds and Gill within the organization and still be a good pairing with who's left, IMO. Next year the pairings will change, obviously, as Eaton will be gone (and maybe Gonch too).

Old
06-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Next year isn't relevant right now. It's who we have that can replace Scuds and Gill within the organization and still be a good pairing with who's left, IMO. Next year the pairings will change, obviously, as Eaton will be gone (and maybe Gonch too).
Gonchar might be gone, it all depends on the seasons Letang and Goligoski have.

I hope he retires as a Penguin but hey... it's a business. If losing Gonchar means we keep Letang for another 5 + years, then so be it... I'll accept it. As much as saying that just killed me inside.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Gooch

Apparently Emminger wasnt given a qualifying offer by Florida so he's going to be a UFA. Whats the deal with him? Could he be someone in our 5th/6th spot that perhaps could have upside?

Old
06-30-2009, 09:41 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

i don't know about the rest of you..... but i am pumped about tomorrow.... sucks it doesnt start at midnight.

oh and im not only pumped about the pens, i just love seeing what other teams do as well.

real exciting time of year.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:43 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Apparently Emminger wasnt given a qualifying offer by Florida so he's going to be a UFA. Whats the deal with him? Could he be someone in our 5th/6th spot that perhaps could have upside?
i'd be wary of him at this point. washington, philly, tampa and now florida all just got rid of him in the span of a year.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:44 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
i don't know about the rest of you..... but i am pumped about tomorrow.... sucks it doesnt start at midnight.

oh and im not only pumped about the pens, i just love seeing what other teams do as well.

real exciting time of year.
i like it better this way. the pens have the majority of their team set, so i can sit back and watch other teams overspend.

Old
06-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
i'd be wary of him at this point. washington, philly, tampa and now florida all just got rid of him in the span of a year.
Yeah he does come with baggage, I think a big part of him getting moved in a lot of those cases though had more to do with his contract than with him.

Now teams are free to start over with a more reasonable contract for his skills than what he previously had which I remember it being something like high 2 million or so.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
AEKaki

what about Mckee?

Old
06-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEKaki View Post
what about Mckee?
I think he could be a viable option if it's at the right price and we don't get Scuds. I don't think he was that bad in St. Louis from what i can tell.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:58 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Asked last night which of the team's prospects might be capable of competing for a job in the NHL this fall, Shero mentioned forwards Dustin Jeffrey, Luca Caputi, Paul Bissonnette and Nick Johnson, defensemen Ben Lovejoy, Brian Strait and Deryk Engelland and goalie John Curry.

He also did not rule out forward Janne Pesonen, even though he becomes an unrestricted free agent today.

"He's certainly an option, depending on what else is going to happen," Shero said. "He played for Dan [Bylsma at Wilkes-Barre], and sometimes that's half the battle for guys."

Shero is not married to the idea of using players from Wilkes-Barre to fill out the major league roster this fall, and plans to be more than an interested observer when free agency begins.

"We have lots of lists [ranking free agents by position and role]," he said.
http://postgazette.com/pg/09182/980961-61.stm

Old
07-01-2009, 12:03 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Unrestricted update

Beat reporter Rob Rossi gives the lowdown on activity between the Penguins and their players who can become unrestricted free agents at noon today:

LW Ruslan Fedotenko: Had yet to receive offer late Tuesday.

D Rob Scuderi: Will give Penguins chance to match best open-market offer.

D Hal Gill: Will stay in contact with Penguins while fielding offers.

C Mike Zigomanis: Return appears unlikely.

RW Petr Sykora: Return is under consideration.

RW Miroslav Satan: Return very unlikely.

D Philippe Boucher: Return possible if Scuderi and Gill bolt.

G Mathieu Garon: Return very unlikely.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_631759.html

Old
07-01-2009, 12:06 AM
The Pens Are Back*

wow, didn't realize egeland was still considered an option for the big club

ditto seeing strait name up there... didn't think he's ready for the bigs

Old
07-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pens Are Back View Post
wow, didn't realize egeland was still considered an option for the big club

ditto seeing strait name up there... didn't think he's ready for the bigs
I'm sure that list is very premature and listing guys that might have longshots at getting up but are not necessarily serious contenders to play big league minutes at this point.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
It's scary that they are really considering bringing Hal Gill back
Its down right lunacy.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Its down right lunacy.
There's no way that can actually happen.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Shureshot66,

Thank you for all your effort.

Closed Thread