HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hugh Jessiman

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Broadway Brett

vCash: 500
Hugh Jessiman

Hugh Jessiman sucked this season. The future, or part of it sucked, his point production has decreased and has not gottin' any better in his own zone. He should have been able to get the Big Green into the NCAA tourny. The dude has to start producing to reach the star potential.
I know like I sound like I am biased or somethin' but the guy has to produce after being picked 12th last year, and I hope he improves next season and be on the team in '05-'06
Edge, Park what do u think he could be, first liner, star, never make the NHL?

Old
03-26-2004, 08:55 PM
NYR469

he was double & triple teamed every night...everyone that actually watched him play say he was MUCH better than the stats indicate

Old
03-26-2004, 09:16 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
he was double & triple teamed every night...everyone that actually watched him play say he was MUCH better than the stats indicate
they also say he has made no progression which is concerning because he is a player that needs to develop a bit more then most high level prospects....

Old
03-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
they also say he has made no progression which is concerning because he is a player that needs to develop a bit more then most high level prospects....
He's a prospect who should spend at least another year at college.

He's a project. What makes you say he needs to progress more then anyone else? We know he's at the very least 2-3 years away.

Old
03-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Edge

I dont think he hasn't progressed per say, he just has things he needs to improve.

Make no mistake, the kid is a project. I am concerned about his transition game, his ability to the see the ice and his decision making. HOWEVER I also know that the kid has the size, and the tools and the attitude to overcome those things.

He honestly wasn't my first choice last year and I can't he'd be my first choice even now, but there's nothing I can do about that.

He was double and triple teamed, but his shortcomings also made it more difficult to battle against those.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the drop in production. He still averaged over a point per game and displayed his abilities. Scoring isn't a concern for me, other areas are.

Ideally the best situation for him would be another year in College and then at least one in Hartford.

Jessiman has a huge potential return but he's going to take a long time and teams are going to need to be patient and work with him.

On a personal note, I can't honestly say I see a middle ground for him. He's either going to put it all together or he isn't. I think he is a boom or bust pick. I really can't see him ever being a third line player if he doesn't make it as a scorer. I'd say either he's gonna be a fixture in the top 6 forwards on this team, or he's gonna be a minor leaguer.

But again that is my PERSONAL opinion.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:56 PM
pld459666

not a comparison, just a thought,

but didn't it take LeClair about 4 years in the NHL to start being the power forward his frame says he should be?

LeClair also played a full 4 years in College so he had the benefit of learning the game in a league designed to teach as opposed to the Jr. leagues where actual wins and losses are more important than learning.

Let the kid develope.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:46 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
but didn't it take LeClair about 4 years in the NHL to start being the power forward his frame says he should be?

LeClair also played a full 4 years in College so he had the benefit of learning the game in a league designed to teach as opposed to the Jr. leagues where actual wins and losses are more important than learning.

Let the kid develope.
yep and look at bertuzzi too...power forwards tend to take longer to develop and most seem to finally put it together and bust out around age 25 (and lots of them do it with a team other than the one the drafted them because people don't have any patience)

Old
03-27-2004, 02:07 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby

He's a project. What makes you say he needs to progress more then anyone else? We know he's at the very least 2-3 years away.
you contradict yourself, you state he is a project needing 2-3 years to develop, then say he doesn't need anymore progression then other comperable prospects???

forget top 15 picks, how many first rounders this past draft are expected to be ready after 4 years of college and a year in the AHL..... jessiman is not a second rounder, he is a 12th overall pick that is very raw

Last edited by in the hall: 03-27-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old
03-27-2004, 02:12 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
um you are contradicting yourself, the fact you state he is a project is basically the same as saying he needs more progression then most
Dude, I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that he's a project. How common? How many players in the top 12 play in the first or second season after they are drafted? Granted Jessman is more of a project then most, but so are many PF's.

Old
03-27-2004, 02:16 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Dude, I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that he's a project. How common? How many players in the top 12 play in the first or second season after they are drafted? Granted Jessman is more of a project then most, but so are many PF's.
dude, where did you get the impression i thought you are attacking me??

to answer your question - most are usually in the league after 2 years and maybe a season of AHL if not less.. jessiman's original path was expected to be completing his 4 years of college, that's 3 years and probably a year in the ahl so that's 4 years after being drafted.... as edge pointed out jessiman is very raw, and he is very raw for a player picked so high however his potential was worth the wait and risk in the eyes of ranger brass

Old
03-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
dude, where did you get the impression i thought you are attacking me??

to answer your question - most are usually in the league after 2 years and maybe a season of AHL if not less.. jessiman's original path was expected to be completing his 4 years of college, that's 3 years and probably a year in the ahl so that's 4 years after being drafted.... as edge pointed out jessiman is very raw, and he is very raw for a player picked so high however his potential was worth the wait and risk in the eyes of ranger brass
Who is disputing that?

Do we have to argue even when we agree?

Old
03-27-2004, 02:50 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
you contradict yourself, you state he is a project needing 2-3 years to develop, then say he doesn't need anymore progression then other comperable prospects???
Of course he needs more seasoning. Where do you get that? I was just asking why he needs more progression then someone else in his spot. Maybe I misunderstood the post?

Many times it takes Power Forwards more time to adapt their game. Look at a guy like Bertuzzi. Many times big guys need more time to grow into themselves and just take a bit longer. Not always, but many times that is the case.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:18 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Who is disputing that?

Do we have to argue even when we agree?
i am answering your question, barnaby, i question your intentions however i give you a candid response i'd appreciate the same.. if you are going to be so paranoid each time i respond to you then please by all means don't respond to my initial post no less ask me a question.. this is a big place we can avoid each other

Last edited by in the hall: 03-27-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old
03-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Fletch

Leclair did take some time...

and here were his college stats...
1987-88 U. of Vermont NCAA 31 12 22 34 62
1988-89 U. of Vermont NCAA 18 9 12 21 40
1989-90 U. of Vermont NCAA 10 10 6 16 38
1990-91 U. of Vermont NCAA 33 25 20 45 58

Didn't dramatically improve his freshman to sophomore year, although in his junior game he did score at a goal-a-game pace (albeit in only 10 games). Next season's going to be big for Hugh in terms of his development.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Broadway Brett

Thanks for everyones opinions, I have not seen him yet, so I wanted to hear from people who saw him play. Thanks again

Old
03-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
I gotta say I disagree, He's not going to get any better playing in the ECAC. If it was WCHA or CCHA or even Hockey East, MAYBE. I think if HJ wants to play in the NHL, he needs to sign acontract, and get himself to Hartford, where he can learn the pro-game.

The ECAC is going to do nothing for him.

Old
03-27-2004, 11:46 AM
pld459666

you seem to think that the level of competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker
I gotta say I disagree, He's not going to get any better playing in the ECAC. If it was WCHA or CCHA or even Hockey East, MAYBE. I think if HJ wants to play in the NHL, he needs to sign acontract, and get himself to Hartford, where he can learn the pro-game.

is going to determine his pace for development in the College Ranks when it's not true.

College is a learning league and if there's a deficency in his game, the coaching staff will work on that. The fact that you practice more than you actually play games is going to do more for him than playing in the AHL.

The problem for him going into a competitive situation such as the AHL is that his game's weakness will be exposed. Since he's a hugh guy, and we all know from experience that they take a bit longer to find their own game, let's allow him the opportunity to learn to shore up his weaknesses and become an overall better player. He'll be better off at College (regardless the team) for at least another year and then another 1 maybe 2 in Hartford depending on where he is in his development.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:15 PM
CrookedRain

I saw him play live this year. He is definitely a project but he certainly has some upside. For a big guy he skates reasonably well and he is quite strong. He's definitely not speedy and he is definitely not hockey smart in the sense that Tyutin, for example, seems to be but he's still very young.

Truth be told, when the Rangers snagged him they knew he'd be a gamble and aparently they're willing to wait it out.

I'm not the hugest Sather fan but it seems to me that he runs very little of the draft (MSG had a special on that and it seems Renney and Maloney (kinda scary in its own right) do the draft work) and there has been a concerted effort to draft size and power in the first rounds. Given that they play in the East one can't really blame them for doing that.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:38 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedRain
Renney and Maloney (kinda scary in its own right) do the draft work)
Maloney, if I remember correctly, was the brain that selected Bertuzzi for the Islanders. He's got a decent record of finding good players in the draft. It's Renney that I sometimes worry about because he seems to like the USHL-->NCAA kids....a little too much.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:44 PM
BLACKBURN

I think he needs to DOMINATE the college level before we even think of moving him up. In my mind he is fragile and if we push him to soon he could be ruined. Plus we have time, why rush kids unecessarily.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker

I here what your saying, and maybe your right. I'm just afraid of rushing him. My opinion was that I wanted to see him bring his game to the next level before moving him to the AHL. I really think he's more then 1 year away and the Ranger management seems like they think a year in Hartford will make him ready for the NHL. I dont think it will... but time will tell.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Burberry Manning

Well I've heard he is a cool guy at least. My friend who knows him a little at Dartmouth(ha, the runt of the Ivy's) says it hasn't gotten to his head and he is down to earth. Parties like a normal college guy and is loved by the ladies. Good to know he is a likeable guy

Old
03-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Barnaby

Will this be the draft the Rangers hit a homerun, or the draft the Rangers blew by passing on Parise?

Old
03-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Dartmouth 02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue
Well I've heard he is a cool guy at least. My friend who knows him a little at Dartmouth(ha, the runt of the Ivy's) says it hasn't gotten to his head and he is down to earth. Parties like a normal college guy and is loved by the ladies. Good to know he is a likeable guy
who you calling runt?

but the above is true.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Burberry Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmouth 02
who you calling runt?

but the above is true.
haha, just kidding about the "runt" thing. I like to give my Dartmouth lax friends a tough time, not like I could get in there

Closed Thread