HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ott-Edm (before 4mill is paid)

Old
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Giggli G

vCash: 500
I love reading Ottawa fans' ideas of what they will get for Heatley.

Hey, we thought we were getting Bouwmeester and Horton for Pronger when he requested a trade...

You will get nowhere near what you want in terms of roster players. Maybe, MAYBE a good selection of picks.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
O'Sullivan, Gilbert\Grebeshkov + Chorney for Heatley , and we'll sign.

______________ <-- sign there
B. Murray

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpoo View Post
LOL man you need to stop dreaming up proposals. Ottawa is not getting a package like that in the 11th hour.

I hope your beer fridge is stocked because you are going to need to wash away your grief with a few cold ones real soon.
The 11th hour? The game has just begun my friend. Tomorrow after the free agent signings see the Oilers strike out again - we'll see.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerfish

The interesting thing to ponder is how much of a potential effect the $4 million bonus has on all of this. Will an early trade and eating the bonus by the team after him alter the value to any great extent?

How adverse are the Sens to coughing up that extra 4 million? Is Melynk still so rich this would be pocket change?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Girth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
penner
gilbert
d prospect

heatley

its happening.... :p
my last guess.. (likely find out today)

EDM gilbert/penner/chorney/pick

or

NYR rozsival/zherdev/sauer/pick

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:32 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
im just looking forward to all these sens fans trying to justify a low return deal to the oilers and telling us how much heatley sucks IF he did in fact come here

which is still a long shot i would think

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The interesting thing to ponder is how much of a potential effect the $4 million bonus has on all of this. Will an early trade and eating the bonus by the team after him alter the value to any great extent?

How adverse are the Sens to coughing up that extra 4 million? Is Melynk still so rich this would be pocket change?
The 4M is the only reason why EDM is in contention for a player like Heatley. After July1st the playing field is leveled and EDM will have 0.5% chance of getting him.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

is penner's 4.25 contract really a deal breaker if it saves them 4 million in the end
if you work that savings into the penner contract, he becomes 2.9mil/year for 3 years

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
I think some of my fellow oiler fans need a time out from making trade offeres for awhile

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

If Oiler fans are allowed to speculate about free agents signing with their team, why can't Sens fans speculate about getting a great return for Heatley? It's obvious both fan bases are dreaming and it's not going to happen.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumjoo Wang View Post
If Oiler fans are allowed to speculate about free agents signing with their team, why can't Sens fans speculate about getting a great return for Heatley? It's obvious both fan bases are dreaming and it's not going to happen.
Oilers are getting Bouwmeester, Gaborik, Sedins and Hossa.

Cause they always do well in free agency.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:42 PM
LimpDave

I think Edmonton will eventually be fair and give up cogs or o'sullivan

Ottawa will get good value, but not what the fans think

Penner, Gilbert, O'Sullivan/Cogs

for

Heatley and Smith

then the oilers have a few options with smith, but i believe they would either buy him out, or let him mentor players in the minors

he may play as well, but if he does then i think Staios or Souray would be moving.

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:46 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
As an Oiler fan, I say no thanks to the original proposal. No doubt Heatley is talented, but his recent behaviour and attitude makes me think he would cause locker room problems.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Oilers are getting Bouwmeester, Gaborik, Sedins and Hossa.

Cause they always do well in free agency.
I don't know why you keep harping on that, considering it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Let's face it, Murray will probably lose this deal. He's not in a position of strength and the number of teams interested has dwindled, according to Bob Mckenzie. The only way he won't lose in a trade is if he doesn't trade Heatley. But that could pose problems for the team down the line. It's really a matter of whether he's willing to take that chance or not. He could also hope that interest will rise again when UFAs start signing, but I'm not sure that would be enough to entice that many more suitors (since a number of the teams that would have been interested would have signed UFAs).

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherblah View Post
I don't know why you keep harping on that, considering it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Let's face it, Murray will probably lose this deal. He's not in a position of strength and the number of teams interested has dwindled, according to Bob Mckenzie. The only way he won't lose in a trade is if he doesn't trade Heatley. But that could pose problems for the team down the line. It's really a matter of whether he's willing to take that chance or not. He could also hope that interest will rise again when UFAs start signing, but I'm not sure that would be enough to entice that many more suitors (since a number of the teams that would have been interested would have signed UFAs).
The numbers of teams have dwindled going into FA, which is to be expected. He trades him after FA, and the teams go back up. Or he plays for the team. It really isn't that complicated.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:51 PM
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Murray should just keep Heatley if those are the kind of offers he's receiving.

Let Edmonton sign a UFA, or atleast try to sign one...

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Wolfpack

Having seen how these types of trades tend to go down, I suspect that for the most part Ottawa fans are going to be disappointed in whatever return Dany Heatley brings.

Having said that, I hope the Oilers do not pull the trigger for Heatley, as the problems they will be getting themselves into with that huge long-term contract in the coming years is probably not worth the return. Edmonton should just keep their good young players and prospects, tweak the line-up here and there, and let the new coaching staff have a go.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
CaptainCrunch67

So the question is, if Heatley doesn't show up at camp and the Sens followup up by suspending him without pay, does his salary drop from the cap?

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Quote:
The numbers of teams have dwindled going into FA, which is to be expected. He trades him after FA, and the teams go back up. Or he plays for the team. It really isn't that complicated.

But at that point Melnyk has already invested 4 mil into Heatley. Kind of a waste if he's not going to keep him...

Ottawa would also want more in a trade should this happen and they already want a lot.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
So the question is, if Heatley doesn't show up at camp and the Sens followup up by suspending him without pay, does his salary drop from the cap?
Yes.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
The 4M is the only reason why EDM is in contention for a player like Heatley. After July1st the playing field is leveled and EDM will have 0.5% chance of getting him.
That's a very bizarre statement to make. Very bizarre indeed. I can see a person not liking some proposed deals bandied about here but are you telling me that the Sens hate every player on the Oilers and there is no package that would entice a trade? Sounds like the type of tact Edmontons former GM Kevin Lowe would take.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaray_656 View Post
But at that point Melnyk has already invested 4 mil into Heatley. Kind of a waste if he's not going to keep him...
Melnyk has said many times he wants to win a stanley cup. I guarantee you if you ask him "would you rather have a shot to win a stanley cup and lose $4m, or trade away your premier left wing for nothing but save $4m", he would choose the former.

Plus, don't forget that the Sens with Melnyk don't have a spending cap (other than the league cap), unlike many teams.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Having said that, I hope the Oilers do not pull the trigger for Heatley, as the problems they will be getting themselves into with that huge long-term contract in the coming years is probably not worth the return. Edmonton should just keep their good young players and prospects, tweak the line-up here and there, and let the new coaching staff have a go.
Don't worry about the long term contract, Heatley will request a trade out of Edmonton after a couple successful seasons. At the end of the day, he's got to think about his family first.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Ottawa fans need to get out of their dreams, seriously.. Murray should be desperate to get rid of Heatley right now so he doesn't have to pay the abysmal 4 million dollar signing bonus, you guys think that if he can't trade him he is going to come in the lineup next season? Do you know how badly he would underachieve coming back into that locker room.. Ottawa should be lucky to get that kind of package for Heatley.

Good luck to any team wanting to pay that 4 million dollar signing bonus on top of his hefty contract with a solid package coming back.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Ottawa fans need to get out of their dreams, seriously.. Murray should be desperate to get rid of Heatley right now so he doesn't have to pay the abysmal 4 million dollar signing bonus, you guys think that if he can't trade him he is going to come in the lineup next season? Do you know how badly he would underachieve coming back into that locker room.. Ottawa should be lucky to get that kind of package for Heatley.

Good luck to any team wanting to pay that 4 million dollar signing bonus on top of his hefty contract with a solid package coming back.
1) It's not a signing bonus. It's a cash advance on his salary. His $8m salary for 09-10 is split into $4m July 1st, $4m over the course of the year.
2) I'm sure he'll "under achieve" in an olympic year.
3) I think the dreams are in Edmonton fan's minds, thinking "We'll get one of the best forwards in the game for nothing." It's understandable, Albertans get confused over money related issues quite frequently... just like a couple years ago, rather then the government stockpiling money, it sends out $ to all Albertans and lowers taxes. Now in the heart of a recession, the government is projected to be almost $7,000,000,000 in the hole, with deficit's projected for the next five years. There goes all your debt spending.

Love the logic of Albertans and Oiler fans.