HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

** Free Agency 7/1/09 **

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2009, 11:53 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

My hope is still alive!

cherry picker

Old
06-30-2009, 11:54 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
You want Gaborik or not? Havlat? Phaneuf? Does it just depend on the $ with the first two and what is going the other way with the third?
Yes, completely. But the cash that I'd be happy with for those guys is implausibly low. And I don't think Phaneuf is seriously on the table.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:54 PM
ZedzDead

Is there a better time to be a King's fan than on June 30th?

Old
06-30-2009, 11:56 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Am I the only one who has no interest in the Kings signing Havlat? Especially after he got his bell rung in the playoffs?
Nope, the guy's had his bell rung more times than a church bell on Easter Sunday.
Pass. But as to the other UFA guy who shares his initials, um, we'll take him!!!

Old
06-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I just went to the Oilers board. As soon as I walked in, I ducked. First a beer bottle came flying at me followed by a used tampon. There was a fight in the corner. A couple of guys, one wearing a Gretzky jersey and the other a Messier jersey. They had their heads turned away from one another, and their arms extended forward in a slapping motions. It's getting ugly in there.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
It's going to be hard to stay motivated at work tomorrow.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
And what better way to motivate your stars to keep getting better than provide them with a talented player with playoff experience to lead by example and giv ethe kids some self-confidence that they might not otherwise find, being as that they have always played for a team with alosing tradition.
Agreed. It will definately help, and when Lombardi talks about 'jump-starting' Kopitar's development and having him have to be at 22 where Sakic was at 25, he will need more than just one summer in the gym with buddies in LA.

However it ultimately is still up to Kopitar. Adding a star will help, but I also believe that there needs to be that willingness within the player to begin with, because if it is not there than playing along side Gaborik is not likely to bring it out of him.

But on that note, if its not there then the entire last 3 years have been a ****ing waste of time. I specifically said it is not an excuse to shy away from adding a star player for Kopi to play with, but while they are definately correlated, I think it still begins with a choice for Kopitar to make. Sure, if we don't add a star he might take longer to ultimately acheive that next level, but if he does not make that choice to begin with, to up his **** on and off the ice, then no get him there until he makes that choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I think Kopitar and Brown's continued develpoment go hand in glove with getting that star player. They are of equal importance and the sooner they both happen the better this team will be, without having to HOPE that the cap dropping in the future will land us a great player for cheap.

Finally, if we get shut out in signing a major UFA, the teams chances for the playoffs, in light of the changes made and to be made by other teams in the west will be minimal at best notwithdstanding the development of Kopitar and Brown even if JW has a resurgence. There is just not enough talent here to be a playoff team.
Again, while I agree, I still think it is possible for the team to miss out on the playoffs even if they add Hossa or whoever if Kopitar doesn't make that mental decision to skip the platuea and climb to the next peak. I'm very confident he will, with or without a star addition.

Its tough, because when you say "The most important thing is Kopitar" it sounds like a prelude to an excuse for not signing a player, but that truly is an assumption and a projection on our parts. If it is later made to be an excuse then that is total ******** and nothing but spin, because in a way, the two have nothing to do with eachother. They do, but they don't. Knowing Kopitar needs to improve does not give license to lessen the need of a great winger for him to play with, if anything it should make that a more pressing goal. However that also does not mean that Dean is playing the UFA game in a vaccuum. It is, ultimately up to the player.

I think where I get lost is when people say things like there is no excuse whatsoever for not signing Hossa or Gaborik or Havlat. It is quite a real possibility that Dean does everything in his power, offers the most money and most years, and still gets turned down.

I haven't developed the complete mistrust of whatever comes out of DL's mouth. I don't hear him using Kopitar's need to development as an excuse for not needing a winger, but he has acknowledged that we do need a winger. I agree with him when he stressed Kopitar over the winger addition, because it is ultimately MORE important. That does not make the winger need less important, because it is REALLY important. If there were grades for importance, Kopitar's development would be an A+ and a winger addition would be an A-.

Somewhat related, the question occurs to me, why do we always blame DL for signing players to contracts when it is Jeff Solomon doing all the leg work and negotiating? It could be that Solomon sucks talking to agents and wooing them over.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Youngblood93

Heatley to EDM could be back on. The 4 million bonus can still be picked up if he's deallt by midnight eastern tomorrow. He's thinking about it.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:06 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
The Edmonton boards are melting it is crazy. I don't blame them. That was a total slap in the face. Talk about having an awkward locker room now... Three players told they are traded and then an hour later it is like "July Fools!"
"July Fools", I like that.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I would take

Hossa
Sedins
Fedotenko
Shanahan
Neil
McGratton
Cammalleri

Old
07-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
Heatley to EDM could be back on. The 4 million bonus can still be picked up if he's deallt by midnight eastern tomorrow. He's thinking about it.
Yeah... Now they are reporting that Heatley is going to "sleep on it" ... I am done paying attention to that garbage until I have a confirmed link. Too much stupidity and drama...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
07-01-2009, 12:11 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I would take

Hossa
Sedins
Fedotenko - no
Shanahan - too old
Neil
McGratton - why
Cammalleri - good one!
added some notes

Old
07-01-2009, 12:13 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Yeah... Now they are reporting that Heatley is going to "sleep on it" ... I am done paying attention to that garbage until I have a confirmed link. Too much stupidity and drama...
Well to be fair, the link was TSN, and that's pretty much as credible as you can get around here.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Johnny Rockstar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I couldn't agree more.

What I do not like though is that if Dean does fail there will be dozens crawling out of the woodwork praising him for the chutzpah to resist signing an overpriced guy....even if that means another top 5 draft pick.
What I do not like is that if Dean successfully signs an "overpriced guy", there are those that will still complain and criticize Dean regardless because they thought he should have signed someone else.

07-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I am getting an odd feeling that Chris Neil is going to be Dean's big move this summer.

"Chris brings some much added toughness to the wing position for us. He is the right player at the right time and we know he will make this team harder to play against."

I just threw up in my mouth a little...

Old
07-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

So, tsn is reporting that Komisarek wants to test free agency...hmm...Dean type of player, the numbers are probably right, interesting.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rockstar View Post
What I do not like is that if Dean successfully signs an "overpriced guy", there are those that will still complain and criticize Dean regardless because they thought he should have signed someone else.
Well....that is entirely possible. The difference is that my scenario has already happened...a couple of times....when was the last time Dean signed an "overpriced guy"?

We do not know how people will react until that situation is actually accomplished.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:31 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
So, tsn is reporting that Komisarek wants to test free agency...hmm...Dean type of player, the numbers are probably right, interesting.
It's going to have to be an overpayment. I foresee Atlanta nabbing him. They have cap space and they need a good shutdown Dman.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:36 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
I'd rather Deano spend the bucks first on positions we need help in the most. Komisarek is a DL type guy but the price would be 4-5MM for 3-5 years. That's a lot to pay for a need that's a ways down the list in terms of priority.

- T

Old
07-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
It's going to have to be an overpayment. I foresee Atlanta nabbing him. They have cap space and they need a good shutdown Dman.
If you watched the Habs in the playoffs, Komisarek is not such a good shutdown d-man.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Johnny Rockstar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Well....that is entirely possible. The difference is that my scenario has already happened...a couple of times....when was the last time Dean signed an "overpriced guy"?

We do not know how people will react until that situation is actually accomplished.
Well, plenty of people considered Handzus an "overpriced guy" at $4M/yr when he was first signed. Do they now? Some probably still do, while others are OK with the amount he is paid.

Like you said, Captain, I guess we won't know how people will react until... tomorrow.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:41 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
If you watched the Habs in the playoffs, Komisarek is not such a good shutdown d-man.
They all sucked pretty equally in the playoffs. Either way, that's his job description and he's going to get a lot of money for it.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:48 AM
KingsFan323

Rumors of both Havlat and Gaborik signing is all good news but it also means that Frolov would be traded. I personally would not want that. I like Frolov and think we should give him a long term deal to stay in LA and his contract history shows he won't be wanting too much money. This is how I hope things pan out tomorrow.

-Gaborik signs with LA for a 4 year deal worth 25 million dollars.

-Moen signs with LA for a 3 year deal worth 4-5 million dollars.

These two signings would be ideal. We get a sniper and pay him his money, not too long of a deal. We get a great gritty/grinder player that can also contribute offensively. Something we didn't have all of last year, Simmonds showed some signs though.

These two signings would also leave us with space to re-sign Fro and JMFJ, who I want to keep. Things would be looking beautiful with these moves.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Too much stupidity and drama...
you've pretty much described this entire thread. I think I may check out until the end of the day tomorrow. Twitter? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Old
07-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
you've pretty much described this entire thread. I think I may check out until the end of the day tomorrow. Twitter? Are you ****ing kidding me?
Hey, this is fun and suspenseful The Havlat twitter account is the real deal... Nothing compared to the crazyfest surrounding Heatley and Edmonton.

Closed Thread