HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

July 1st Thread

Old
07-01-2009, 01:51 AM
redbeard7737

vCash: 500
Any chance Bowman plays this season? I guess he would need top 6 minutes though to be effective...I think he would light the lamp plenty on Staal's left!!! Just a thought.

redbeard7737 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:59 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
well.... as a matter of fact i believe AQ is already working the phones and using all influence she has to make JR to sign Malik.
Nah. What happens will happen--the Serene Master can take care of himself.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Let us throw some hypothetical situations out there. If we were offering Cole $2.5 million and Larose $1.7 million ....shouldn't that mean we have roughly $4 to $4.5 million to spend on a free agent?

I know JR doesn't want to lock himself into creating false hopes of us signing somebody with an impact, but it wouldn't shock me to see Carolina become a player in some of the second tier forward group guys like Gionta.

JR has to know in his heart of hearts that if you allow both Cole and Larose to walk, there is a glaring hole in our forward ranks that cannot be filled from within... at least not yet.

Perhaps with the attention focused elsewhere, we'll be able to sneak an offer across to an impact free agent.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:44 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
Any chance Bowman plays this season? I guess he would need top 6 minutes though to be effective...I think he would light the lamp plenty on Staal's left!!! Just a thought.
Rutherford has said that he'll give guys like Bowman, Boychuk, and McBain every opportunity to make the roster out of training camp, so I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them on the roster and in a significant role next season.

As for free agency, I could settle for Knuble but Tanguay is someone I would really like to see in a Hurricanes' jersey. However, I don't expect that to happen as I fully expect Alexander Frolov to be our first-line left winger by next season.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:25 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Carolina Hurricanes

Biggest Need: A defenseman capable both of taking care of his own end and lighting the occasional offensive fire.

The Solution: Francois Beauchemin

Jim Rutherford isn't likely to dive head first into the free agent pool on Wednesday, but he has to keep his toes in the water in light of the key losses (Cole, Larose, Seidenberg) that his Eastern Conference finalists are going to incur. The Ducks would like to hold onto Beauchemin, but the thinking is that they won't be able to match what he can get on the open market. The Hurricanes have the cap space, and the need for a player who brings a physical game and savvy puck-moving skills to the back end.
I love idea for Gionta too.

Tanguay is someone who i don't know why people don't like. Very underrated playamaker.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:38 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

That looks like an article written by someone that thinks the Hurricanes could actually spend to the salary cap.

I'd like to have Beauchemin but if Anaheim, who actually has more cap space than we do, can't fit him into their budget I don't see any way Rutherford can fit him into our budget.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:47 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
I love idea for Gionta too.

Tanguay is someone who i don't know why people don't like. Very underrated playamaker.
The problem is that the Canes need scorers not another playmaker. Tanguay doesnt fit. IMO

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Let us throw some hypothetical situations out there. If we were offering Cole $2.5 million and Larose $1.7 million ....shouldn't that mean we have roughly $4 to $4.5 million to spend on a free agent?

I know JR doesn't want to lock himself into creating false hopes of us signing somebody with an impact, but it wouldn't shock me to see Carolina become a player in some of the second tier forward group guys like Gionta.

JR has to know in his heart of hearts that if you allow both Cole and Larose to walk, there is a glaring hole in our forward ranks that cannot be filled from within... at least not yet.

Perhaps with the attention focused elsewhere, we'll be able to sneak an offer across to an impact free agent.
As of right now I am calculating (roughly) - Cole (3.5 - Williams), LaRose (875,000) & Seidenberg (1.2) which would be a total of approx. $5.575. - Based on last years numbers.

Here is my other option. I am counting Seidenberg because JR tried to get him back so he would have *atleast* thrown his 1.2 at him in which he earned last season. So if JR was willing to spend that money, than we would be looking at approx. 2.8 for Cole (Guess), 1.8 LaRose & 1.2 Seidenberg which would be approx. $5.8 million to spend here.

This salary estimation is really a pure guess and me throwing crap at the wall.

Vagrant I really agree with you here. In terms of how far this team went and JR saying at the end of the season he had real high expectations for this team, we simply have been shot in the arm and leg with the potential loss of Cole and LaRose. And you can't forget about Seidenberg either. We have some big gaps to fill and I believe JR should not wait until August, he should go into this fighting fire with fire, giving the best offer he can that fits our budget to fill our holes. You don't have to go above and beyond, but get in there and truly try and bring some pieces in that can replace Cole, LaRose and potentially Seidenberg to a degree.

Quote:
"There will be some free-agent signings and some good contracts this year, but I don't think there will be as many ... as in past years," Rutherford said. "If we do not sign a free agent right away, it's because we want to be patient and wait until the market levels off. We can wait until August and see what's available and what we need."
I really think after what we have come to with Cole & LaRose that JR is going to go out and see if he can land a couple pieces here. He has to know in his heart, just like Vagrant said, that these holes cannot realistically be filled from within. He heat is on him now as the GM of this team to fill the voids and make this team atleast as good as it was. I think we'll see a relatively aggressive JR in terms of 2nd tier guys who are probably on the market in around 3 million. I'm not so sure Jimmy will stick around and await Cole and LaRose to come back and I don't see him sitting low until August. I believe he doesn't like what he's seen and it's been publically stated he doesn't like it when players go test the waters. I have a feeling he has a bit of a grudge, and he may just walk away and fill our voids.

I definitely do not believe this newly created problem can be fixed from within. If we rush the likes of Boychuk or Bowman to fill a gap I will be truly pissed. Sure, they can look good in camp and it may look like they can play. Well, Eric Staal looked like a kid who could play back in 2003 but his 11 goals and 31 points along with becoming tremendously fatiqued really worked out didnt it. JR has said himself that the year Eric spent in the AHL was a great thing for him and really helped him learn the game at a higher level. It's like this, these kids are going to look fairly good as they are good young hockey players. The glimpses will be there, but they are probably not and should not be inserted into this lineup right now. I am a firm believer in that.

Some interesting points in the N&O today.

Quote:
"They have not made an offer that would make Chad say, 'OK, let's stay on board,' " said Morris, of Newport Sports Management in Mississauga, Ontario. "He likes Carolina. He wants to stay. But the CBA [collective bargaining agreement] allows him to see how others feel about him."
Luke figures LaRose could fetch atleast $2.5 on the open market. A little high but I guess you never know. I think JR has probably offered LaRose around 1.7-1.9 and LaRose wants to see if he can get over 2, close to 2.5. Will a team throw it at him or will he come back and accept what JR has on the plate? We will soon find out. All I know is as much as I love LaRose, I don't love him enough to throw 2-2.5 million at him. It can be spent better elsewhere in my mind.

Quote:
"We know it's less than what his last contract was, but we've done it for reasons," Rutherford said. "There were the inconsistencies [in Cole's play], the playoff performance without him scoring a goal. He understands why."
JR says all that needs to be said right there in order for it to make sense on why Erik should be in line for a salary cut. I guess Erik doesn't believe that and thinks there may be some sunny offers awaiting is 2 goals in 35 games. And there likely will be. There is always a team or two willing to overpay. If so, you better make the best of it or you'll be looking like nothing more than another overpaid NHL'er.

It's tough to say what JR has offered Cole but I would imagine he has offered atleast in the 2.5-2.8 range. That is fair in my books for what Cole has brought to the table lately. If he really thinks he can get more, than best of luck and all the power to you. If you can't stay here on a 1 year deal to prove your worth after an ugly season in which you failed tremendously, than maybe you should move on. Evidently you're seeing $ signs in which realistically you are not worth as of today. Maybe you are to some team willing to overpay, but not to this organization. I would be happy for JR to spend Cole's money and a bit more on someone else as of right now.

Well, it's 12 noon on July 1st... Here we go.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Chrispy

NHLnumbers has the 09-10 payroll at 41.667 million. It's just under 40 million if you don't include Sutter or Boychuk yet.

That leaves about 10 million for Ruutu, Babchuk(?), 3 more forwards and one more defenseman. If Babchuk is dealt and Ruutu signs for 2.5-3 million in 09-10, that's around 7-7.5 million for 3 forwards and 2 defensemen.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
caniac247

According to Chip, JR/Cole are still working on a deal.

Quote:
"Erik is working hard to work with us," Rutherford said. "He'll still go into free agency but has said he will not stay out there long if he does not see a big deal he can get.

"I don't think we're far apart with Erik. We've had several good conversations in the last 24 hours in Erik's case. I see his point of view. He's willing to take a pay cut but wants to see if there's a big deal out there. There's not the same frustration with Erik."
Also, an issue has approached with Babchuk:

Quote:
Another negotiating snag also has developed. Defenseman Anton Babchuk, a restricted free agent, was given a qualifying offer of $1 million the same salary as last season and Rutherford said Babchuk has said he will not play for the qualifier.

Babchuk has no arbitration rights. He could return to Russia to play hockey. Another option could be the Canes trading him.

"We have an issue with Babchuk," Rutherford said.
You ain't the only on JR

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Caniac4ever

What a moron Babs. Please trade him JR. His drama is getting old...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
sorry, but a QO is **** for what he did in the regular season. Offer him 1.5 for 1 year, if he won't take that then wait it out for someone to fire off an offer sheet. Match if you don't at least get a 2nd out of it.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
sorry, but a QO is **** for what he did in the regular season. Offer him 1.5 for 1 year, if he won't take that then wait it out for someone to fire off an offer sheet. Match if you don't at least get a 2nd out of it.

I can agree to that salary wise, but I wouldn't go higher.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
No way... you don't pay for what you DID (we already paid him for that)... You pay for what you think he can do for you in the future... Now that people in opposing locker rooms have noticed him and taken the time to study him, they have him pretty well figured out... Pressure him on the point and look to jump him at the blue line to take advantage of his complete lack of mobility and physical play... I'm sorry... No raises for anyone that can't avoid the healthy scratch for about 50% of the playoff games

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Niko37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
That looks like an article written by someone that thinks the Hurricanes could actually spend to the salary cap.

I'd like to have Beauchemin but if Anaheim, who actually has more cap space than we do, can't fit him into their budget I don't see any way Rutherford can fit him into our budget.
I would love to have Beauchemin.

sigh

When you know you'll never be able to buy what you want window shopping gets depressing.

I don't mean to be negative. In the past I haven't been so bothered, but this year...I don't know. Being poor is getting me down, i guess.

Niko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

McKenzie reports Colton Orr signs with Toronto.

4 years, 1 million per year.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Too much for Orr, but there goes another pipe dream. I agree about how depressing that window shopping can be. We'll probably have to wait until July 10th to hear something.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Yeah, I think JR waits for some of the other teams Cap room gets eaten up and then we have top pick of the second line of FA's out there

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Typical Burke signing.

As for Babchuk, I'll say just this and let it be that. Believe me I understand where people are coming from on the guy with the disappearing act he pulled in the playoffs. But 1) It was his first playoffs and 2) Players are far more willing to sacrifice themselves in the playoffs then they are in the regular season. In game 61 of the regular season a player is going to think twice about getting in front of a one-timer that's around 110MPH, just the way it is. In the playoffs? not getting in front of that one shot could result in the goal that determines the series. Babchuk definitely needs to work on his mobility to become a legit top 4, but 1.5 would be a very fair deal for us in relation to what he brings to the table. He probably overachieved last year, but he could also put up 15 yet again with a much more realistic shooting percentage simply by getting real ice time.

I'd be fine if they spend that 3 million per on Zanon though, quite frankly. Although our powerplay would once again be a total work in progress.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

How about swapping disgruntled babchuk to StL for disgruntled Roman Polak??

Old
07-01-2009, 12:21 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Is Polak disgruntled? I'd probably do that, though it would make our Top 4 pretty young.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Chrispy

Polak and STL are negotiating, but haven't come to any agreement yet. I doubt STL would go for a straight deal, but adding a pick to Babchuk to bring in a 23 year old who was 3rd on STL in minutes last season and could pair with Pitkanen sounds good to me.

TSN says STL is looking for a top 4 defenseman.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Niko37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
How come he is disgruntled? I don't know much about him.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Niko37

Polak, I mean. I know all about the other disgruntled one!

Old
07-01-2009, 12:32 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

they offered him a QO somewhere in the 850K range...he laughed....Davidson tol his agent to go find an offer sheet then. I guess if money is the issue then acquiring Babchuk wouldnt make any sense for the Blues.

Though we could sign him to an offer sheet with the risk of giving up a 3rd rounder