HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July 1st Thread

Old
07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
davidson would match unless you heinously overpay. and i wouldnt want to go that way with him anyway. remember the bernier/backes thing last year? davidson has no problem messing with you if you mess with his negotiations. good idea though to go after him

dammit, kubina just got traded to the thrash - he was my ideal no 4 guy. wouldve been higher than 4 for us.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

that 5 million would have been tough to swallow...even for just one year.....the D in the division is certainly getting better

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Niko37

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
According to Chip, JR/Cole are still working on a deal.

Also, an issue has approached with Babchuk:

You ain't the only on JR
That was my EXACT same thought!

Niko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Kubina is not #4 guy. He's easily #1 or #2. One of the most underrated d-man in league.

Burke = idiot.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Is it just me or does the action seem far more "paced" than in previous years today. Last year it seemed like the TSN guys were barely able to keep up with the rumors and this year.... it seems like nobody is even talking.

Really makes you wonder how much money is actually out there.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
GoCanes2013

Long Term deals/team roster

I tell you what is REALLY interesting to me - we have TWO guys signed beyond 2011-2012, Staal and Gleason. And both of their contracts are done in Spring 2012. What is this team going to look like in 3 years?

This might help us a LOT if the Cap goes down in 2010-2011, perhaps?

Tampa is being very aggressive this FA season, wow...

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Is it just me or does the action seem far more "paced" than in previous years today. Last year it seemed like the TSN guys were barely able to keep up with the rumors and this year.... it seems like nobody is even talking.

Really makes you wonder how much money is actually out there.
I think JR was counting on this... He knows we aren't in line for any A type guys and let the big dogs spend out and even the playing field... It's a gamble but I hope it works

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
I wonder how Cole and LaRose are making our fielding offers...

You would have to think it will be a fairly quick process. I would think we would know possibly today/tonight if they will be back or not. Or have some sort of idea from Jimmy. They'll feel out the league and either be signed by a team or on their way back to 1400 Edwards Mill Road via courier with a rush tag.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
bleedgreen

i think its slow because there are only a few "top" guys. probably a lot more kicking the tires all the way around the league this year, everyone is doing the initial sizing up what the cost of things are. it was slow for a bit last year, then it went crazy. i dont know if today will be like that, i think for sure people are being more intelligent, but i also think once a few dominoes like hossa and havlat fall we'll see more.

Old
07-01-2009, 01:08 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

doesnt Tallon have to trade someone now??? Ladd...Barker...someone to take Campbelll.. Hossa 5 mill per on a longterm deal

i guess he is going to make a run at it this season and throw everything to wind starting next season

Old
07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
doesnt Tallon have to trade someone now??? Ladd...Barker...someone to take Campbelll.. Hossa 5 mill per on a longterm deal

i guess he is going to make a run at it this season and throw everything to wind starting next season
I just think for this too.

Maybe Barker and Versteeg.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:18 PM
semin4captain

Is the official 'Canes board not working for anyone else? I really want to go over there and get a laugh out of people panicking that we haven't signed/acquired anybody two hours into free agency.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:18 PM
bleedgreen

chicago is fine, they were paying havlat 6 million a year, theyve actually saved money by signing what you can easily say is an upgrade in terms of consistency, health, and production. i still like havlat more, but it isnt a bad deal yearly. 12 years?! yeeesh.

Old
07-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Well, seeing as our offseason seems to have taken an unexpected turn, I have come up with a list of potential possibilities JR may look to. I do not agree nor support the addition of all I will list. However, I am trying to look through JR's eye's here.

Forwards

Travis Moen
Brian Gionta (Wild Card. With the potential of Cole & LaRose gone, I could see JR making a call.)
Alex Tanguay (Wild Card. Same reasoning as Gionta.)
Taylor Pyatt
Petr Sykora
Mike Knuble
Mike Grier
Ales Kotalik
Maxim Afinogenov (Reclaimation project no. 7,214,155)
Tom Kostopoulos
Michael Rupp

Defenceman

Lordan Leopold
Steve Montador
Greg Zanon
Jay McKee
David Tanabe
Paul Mara
Nick Boynton
Hal Gill
Karlis Skrastins
Dmitri Kalinin
Marek Malik

I'd like to see Moen and either Gionta or Tanguay (preferably Gionta as he is a scorer not playmaker). I would also like to take a look at Boynton....he is a scrappy guy with some skill and I think would make a good addition to the team from a physical standpoint. Lets be honest people....we have become very "easy" to play against. Nobody is scared to come in and play the canes.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Niko37

"Forslund predicts LaRose could be elsewhere very soon"

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/audio/5481996/

link to audio from Forslund interview on Sports Lunch today

Niko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:27 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
chicago is fine, they were paying havlat 6 million a year, theyve actually saved money by signing what you can easily say is an upgrade in terms of consistency, health, and production. i still like havlat more, but it isnt a bad deal yearly. 12 years?! yeeesh.
this season isnt the problem.....the problem kicks in next season when all the RFAs are due new deals....Keith, Toews, Kane, Ladd.......plus Versteeg and Barker are still due new deals this season...Oh yeah and the cap is going to go down

Old
07-01-2009, 01:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
That part is what I don't like. The NHL REALLY needs to crack down on this **** when it comes to UFA signings. I have less of a problem with teams re-signing the guys they already hold the rights to for deals like this but I still don't like it. But unrestricted free agents? that's bull. I'd like to see the league implement a 5 or maybe 7 year maximum on UFA contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko37 View Post
"Forslund predicts LaRose could be elsewhere very soon"

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/audio/5481996/

link to audio from Forslund interview on Sports Lunch today
I'm not shocked. Someone like Columbus or the Islanders is going to give him a shot at their top 6 and probably pay him top 6 money. If he signs for anything at 1.5 or below I'm going to be pissed at JR, but otherwise see ya Chad.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
8 players signed for the Blackhawks for a total of $34m going into the 2010-2011 season; not including Keith, Kane, or Toews.

I would say they are the exact opposite of fine...

Old
07-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That part is what I don't like. The NHL REALLY needs to crack down on this **** when it comes to UFA signings. I have less of a problem with teams re-signing the guys they already hold the rights to for deals like this but I still don't like it. But unrestricted free agents? that's bull. I'd like to see the league implement a 5 or maybe 7 year maximum on UFA contracts.
Or make your ACTUAL salary the cap hit on UFA contracts

Old
07-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
As far as i'm concerned, let them keep handing out these decade contracts. That's fine by me. I think we're being short sighted here. The first time one of these guys blows a tire and is done at 35 and he's locked up for 5 or 6 more years at a $5.5 million cap hit then teams will probably start thinking twice about it.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:35 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I would agree with that. If you sign someone as a UFA then your cap hit for the first few years is what you actually pay them until their salary starts to go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
As far as i'm concerned, let them keep handing out these decade contracts. That's fine by me. I think we're being short sighted here. The first time one of these guys blows a tire and is done at 35 and he's locked up for 5 or 6 more years at a $5.5 million cap hit then teams will probably start thinking twice about it.
That's assuming they don't retire when it happens. Or those teams will do what JR doesn't have enough balls to and just stick them on the LTIR until they DO retire.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:35 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
8 players signed for the Blackhawks for a total of $34m going into the 2010-2011 season; not including Keith, Kane, or Toews.

I would say they are the exact opposite of fine...
i feel comfortable theyll make it work. they still have the whole goalie thing, and you never know - maybe the pay someone to take campbell off their hands. cant say it cant happen after gomez getting moved.

they are going for it now before they have to break it up - makes sense in the new nhl. get your core signed long term if you can, go for it while theyre all together. when t falls apart, enjoy your cup memories.

Old
07-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 3998
The Washington Capitals have signed forward Mike Knuble to a 2 year contract worth $2.8 per season.

From Eklund.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 02:40 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
Is the official 'Canes board not working for anyone else? I really want to go over there and get a laugh out of people panicking that we haven't signed/acquired anybody two hours into free agency.
Hehe, they were all still laughing about ur must need to resign Babs speaking of panicking . Youve ben posting quite a bit over there lately for someone who finds it so entertaining.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 02:44 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
Hehe, they were all still laughing about ur must need to resign Babs speaking of panicking . Youve ben posting quite a bit over there lately for someone who finds it so entertaining.
Ooooh, so you connected the dots and figured out who I am over there. Who do you post as there?

And there are a few decent posters there (maybe you are one of them), but most of them are......entertaining. To say the least.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote