HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins+McDonagh for Scott Gomez - Pt.II (All trade Related Posts Here)

View Poll Results: Did you like the trade?
Yes 41 18.47%
No 125 56.31%
We'll see 56 25.23%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Sebaldian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road for the 25th View Post
Wow.. ok people can agree or disagree on the trade. But to write ***** like "GTFO Gomez", this is beyond ignorant... 3 hours after the ****ing trade, before he played a SINGLE ****ING GAME HERE!

and yet we STILL wonder why UFAs avoid Montreal so much? Is this HF or RDS Talkback?? maybe I'm on the wrong forum...

Seriously, shame on anyone for writing that ****. Be mad at Bob for trading for him. Be mad at Sather for giving him that contract. But sh*itting on Gomez FOR BEING TRADED HERE???? wow... unbelievable...

Way to make a player feel welcomed here. As if you get transfered to a new branch for work (for those of you who aren't 12 yr olds in their mom's basement and actually have a job), get there on the very first day and people are saying how much they ****ing hate you... yeah real nice... No doubt, he'll be SOOOO motivated here with this crowd and these fans...
Oh crap, Gomez reads this board? I had no idea.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
So we're probably going to lose Komi and now we've lost our top D prospect. He must be planning on signing 3 defencemen tomorrow.
Chelios, Brisebois and Schneider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simnorm View Post
And some think that Kovalev would do good with Gomez. They are both puck ******.
I hate the trade as much as anyone here, but Gomez is as far as it gets from being a puck *****. If he's guilty of anything, it's to not shoot the puck enough.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
This is true. If Kovalev comes back expect the Habs to have a top 3 powerplay in the NHL once again...Gomez can flat out fly end to end, and zone penetration will no longer be our problem.

...not much else to smile about though
sure there is...it's just hard to see right now. People will start to warm up to this trade after a few days and into the thick of the offseason. Then the season will start and we'll all see we got a pretty good player at an awful contract on a team that can absorb it.

Lost in all the bull**** on HF since that trade was announced was that we got a very good player

Old
06-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Harry Kakalovich

Worst. Trade. Ever.

The only good part about is Tom Pyatt.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachine54 View Post
According to CapGeek...

There's some small details regarding buying out a contract when the salary paid is low. It's all here...

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...LCULATE+BUYOUT
Thanks for the link...I always thought it was straight-line but I stand corrected...

Old
06-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Thanks...you're the 200th Rangers fan who has come here to tell us how 'sorry' they were for the trade

Well I LIKE THE TRADE, AND WHAT?

Everyone knows Gomez isn't a perfect player, you'll soon find out that Higgins isn't either and that McDonagh has his limitations and that Valentenko might not ever leave Russia...

No kidding......if the league only had a breakaway to goal ratio.....we know where Chris Higgins would be

(no disrespect to Higgy but the only finnish he knows is the guy that centres his line)

Old
06-30-2009, 10:51 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
In what ******* world is someone who got more than 70 points twice called "elite star center"?

This trade blows. Yes, it makes the team better. But if you've passed your 3rd grade math class, you'll realize that Gomez's contract will prevent us from getting a lot better for the next 5 years... you know... like by spending the cash on players actually worth it?
Gomez has 4 70+ pts seasons

And guess how many 70+ pts seasons Lecavalier has...4!

I would still take Lecavalier over Gomez any day, but don't make Gomez looks worse than he is.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Sept joueurs

With Gomez' cap hit, the cost per point (if he puts up 58 points) is $126 724 and $459 375 for every goal.

That's really, really expensive, probably the most expensive forward in the league. If you compare with the Sedins, for exemple, they have asked for a 12 year contract worth $63 million, each, with an average cap hit of $5,25 mil per season. Every point would cost $64 024 (since they both put up 82 points) and every goal $238 636 (Henrik) and $169 354 (Daniel).

In other words... you get twices as many points for the same cost per point with the Sendins....

Old
06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Infliction

Terrible decision. I can't see any reason why Gainey would do this other than wanting to be fired.

7.3 mil for a less than a point per game player? I don't care how good his 2 way game is that is absolutely ridiculous. To top that we trade our ****ing best prospect?! Unbelievable. I'm beyond right now.

Higgins has the potential to be a very good 2 way player who could put up 60pts as a ceiling, so why would we bother paying SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS through to 2013-14?! Just an awful trade. I'm dreading seeing how this turns out next season. We should have at least held out for a couple weeks to see where we stood with UFA's. AGHHHH I just wanna scream!

Old
06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I hate the trade as much as anyone here, but Gomez is as far as it gets from being a puck *****. If he's guilty of anything, it's to not shoot the puck enough.
That's for a good reason because his shot is pretty bad.

Old
Infliction

Quote:
sure there is...it's just hard to see right now. People will start to warm up to this trade after a few days and into the thick of the offseason. Then the season will start and we'll all see we got a pretty good player at an awful contract on a team that can absorb it.

Lost in all the bull**** on HF since that trade was announced was that we got a very good player
I pray that you're positive outlook turns into a reality.

Old
Kappei

Well Heatley is apparently going to Edmonton. We will no longer be here for him to pad his stats as he was definitely a Hab killer in Ottawa, so that's good. The Rangers will now have cap space to go after free agents we want, since they're not getting Heatley in a trade, so that's bad.

I'm conflicted.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Quagmier

Quote:

See again, I fully understand how good a player Gomez is, but even Gomez at his absolute peak is not enough to take this team to the next level, which is something you would usually expect from a player earning 7.3m.

Sure we're a team that can afford it today, but this isn't a 1 or 2 year deal...we have him locked up for the next 5. How can the Habs make the leap to an elite team when we are hamstrung by his 5 year deal? There didn't seem to be alot of foresight by Gainey in making this deal.

In a cap world its not enough to have good players on your team...you need good contracts also. We just got one of the worst and gave up 2 young players in return. I do not like this deal.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
JAVO16

How about, all of the above for (E), eh ??? WTF was that !!! I recoiled in horror when I heard about the trade on CKAC. All I can think of right now is, **** Gainey, **** the Canadiens, **** IT ALL. I'll sleep on it, but I don't expect to feel any better in the morning.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
This is just ridiculous...

I'm starting to like this deal more and more simply out of spite, the piling on that happening right now is just stupid and is A-typical of any Habs related news these days, it ALWAYS ALL NEGATIVE. Everything about the Habs these days is bad

Anyways...for the thread starter, I welcome a center who shoots the puck.
Well the Guy Boucher acquisition was awesome and most posters agreed. While some may question the draft, I also believe that it was seen positively.

But it's tough to be positive when you are actually not seeing any positive results in the past few years.

I mean we can't invent a reason to be positive when it's actually not. You might find a reason to acquire a guy like Gomez who depsite his big salary, has only 1 or 2 years to do and would be one of the final piece of a puzzle that shows that you'll be a contender. But he has way more than 1 or 2 years, and is definatley not a final piece of a puzzle.....if everything falls apart, he might pass the puck to D'Agostini and Pacioretty. We could be in a real rebuilding mode with a guy that makes 8 millions a year for so many years. Not only that but a guy who might seem lazy, a trait that our fans don't like very much and that if he doesn't show that he is worthy of his salary, that will be a distraction to his fellow teamates and to the team in general.

And I'm not even talking IF Higgins completes the list of guys that would do better elsewhere and if McDonagh finally develops into what was expected from him to be.

Icing on the cake would be to see Valentenko resurfacing. If that happens, people will seriously have to wonder about that management we are having....

Old
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'm not feeling so well after this trade...

Old
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
I pray that you're positive outlook turns into a reality.
It's not really positive outlook...it's getting past all the reactionnary threads/comments from Habs fans and fans from other teams that so obviously influence so many people's here opinions.

In case you guys haven't noticed, the Habs haven't made a personel move that went over well with people. Whenever the Habs sign, draft or trade someone, it's always the same story.

Again...the only negative with this trade for me right now, is Gomez contract. HOWEVER, this is the type of move (though I was surprised by the cost) that I wanted the Habs to look at when trying to improve the talent down the middle. I even mentionned Gomez on this board a few weeks ago.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
It's not really positive outlook...it's getting past all the reactionnary threads/comments from Habs fans and fans from other teams that so obviously influence so many people's here opinions.
I was by myself when I've heard the news and I truly felt sick to my stomach reading about this trade. Once it started sinking in realizing that it wasn't a move to ship him to Tampa for Vinny, I became angry that we'd pick-up yet another diminutive center who, to top it all, has a ridiculous contract. I think that most people here can make up their own opinion, you're not giving them enough credit.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:02 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:

In case you guys haven't noticed, the Habs haven't made a personel move that went over well with people. Whenever the Habs sign, draft or trade someone, it's always the same story.

Again...the only negative with this trade for me right now, is Gomez contract. HOWEVER, this is the type of move (though I was surprised by the cost) that I wanted the Habs to look at when trying to improve the talent down the middle. I even mentionned Gomez on this board a few weeks ago.
Yeah...I don't get it. The $$ suck, but hey at least it's not for a decade, and it's not my money...so I could care less. And really, was anyone impressed with McDonough's play in any of the big time tourney's? I sure wasn't he looked pretty average to me at the last WJC...while Subban was an allstar. I'm not crushed losing him...I don't see him as our top prospect at all.

Gomez is a star player...and he's an irritating guy to boot. I think we'll be very pleased having him aboard.

Old
Quagmier

Quote:
I was by myself when I've heard the news and I truly felt sick to my stomach reading about this trade. I think that most people here can make up their own opinion, you're not giving them enough credit.
Agreed. I had 2 hours to think about the deal, and came to the conclusion that it was huge overpayment for a guy whom the Rangers were probably thrilled at unloading behind closed doors...

Then I learned that McDonagh was involved.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
See again, I fully understand how good a player Gomez is, but even Gomez at his absolute peak is not enough to take this team to the next level, which is something you would usually expect from a player earning 7.3m.

Sure we're a team that can afford it today, but this isn't a 1 or 2 year deal...we have him locked up for the next 5. How can the Habs make the leap to an elite team when we are hamstrung by his 5 year deal? There didn't seem to be alot of foresight by Gainey in making this deal.

In a cap world its not enough to have good players on your team...you need good contracts also. We just got one of the worst and gave up 2 young players in return. I do not like this deal.
Again, i'm NOT a fan of his contract...I think it's awful and it could come back to haunt the habs down the road. But aside from that, I can't really hate on this deal.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I was by myself when I've heard the news and I truly felt sick to my stomach reading about this trade. Once it started sinking in realizing that it wasn't a move to ship him to Tampa for Vinny, I became angry that we'd pick-up yet another diminutive center who, to top it all, has a ridiculous contract. I think that most people here can make up their own opinion, you're not giving them enough credit.
If the shoe doesn't fit for you, then good...

Old
06-30-2009, 11:06 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Again, i'm NOT a fan of his contract...I think it's awful and it could come back to haunt the habs down the road. But aside from that, I can't really hate on this deal.
"Aside from that"..? What else can be more important than the long term positive outlook of a team? As was said above we are NOT adding final touches to ice a contender in the next year or two, and I can definitely see how this bloated contract will prevent us from remaining competitive down the road.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:06 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
Poor Komi Lucic really did hit you hard in the left chin

Old
06-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Infliction

Quote:

Personally, I came on here specifically to speak my mind, I didn't really look at any posts until after, and I like to believe that there are a lot of people on here who are genuinely speaking their minds.

I agree he is a very good player but how can you only be upset strictly about the salary and not McDonagh? That surprises me... Honestly, take out McDonagh and throw in, say, Mathieu Carle, and then its a good trade. But to throw away our best prospect on top of taking 7.3Mil right up the motherfunking ass? A ****ing stupid, desperate and premature move by Gainey. And FTR, I usually always back Gainey. This trade and the Carbo firing (Which I backed him on at the time) are probably the only 2 things I've disagreed with him about. This one is just a huge shot to the groin IMO.

Closed Thread