HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan McDonagh

Old
06-30-2009, 09:54 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
I don't want to look like a ****** on the MTL board or seem like I am a NYR homer trolling your board, so I'll stay away from that one.

Thanks for everyone else's comments though So it seems like he will be a good addition to the Rangers' good/great defensive roster pool?
not everyone hates the deal...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I have seen him play about 5 games ever but he has impressed me so much. Such a great hockey sens. He was overshadowed by PK at the last word and McDonagh made some mistakes but what i've seen it seems like an excess in confidence. That happens when you're that good and you have so much confidence in your capabilities, your abilities. I think he's so great at intangibles.

McDonagh will be on my first Rangers jersey.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well with us he was stellar, but I suddenly found a whole lot of holes in his game and he definately sucks now....

Seriously, the poster Montreal would be able to answer you a whole lot more. From what I've seen with his team and the WJC would be mixed feelings. But let first say that he was sold to us by our head scout as a Chris Chelios type of player that would definately be a top 2 in 2 years from his draft year. So first, his progression didn't went as it was suppose to.

From what I've seen at the beginning of the season with Wisconsin is that his coach played with his head a little. He was asked to be mroe physical, while he doesn't mind that type of game, he was a lot more a complete 2-way d-man who loves to skate with the puck. He wasn't doing a whole lot of that at the beginning of the season and in a few games I saw, and especially one, he was a turnover machine. Seemed that he got better as the year passed by.

As far as the WJC, he was a non-factor while most people were thinking that he'd be one. I don't think he was as bad as people would like to remember he was. He looked bad on one play against Tavares and suddenly he was awful. But while not bad, I don't think he was particularly efficient either.

Something strange is that while he is not known for his skating, I think that his skating technique needs to be refined. I find it strange at a dev. camp to see that he could more easily turn on one side than on the other. I believe that he will have to get his feet move faster. For example, in most if not all the exercices, a guy like Subban was eating him alive.

Having said all of that, I still have a whole lot of confidence in him. He might never turn out as top 2 after all. Don't know if he was never that good after all or just a bad development as of now. But I still totally believe that this kid will play in the NHL and turn out a nice 2-way player. It's probably better for him to go back in Wisconsin and really dominate the way he should be able to. With what I've seen this year, I don't think he's ready for the AHL.
A fair assessment

I was at the WJC and saw all the US games. I was really hoping to see some sparkle from McDonagh. so I watched him closely and came away thinking he was actually kind of ordinary

I kept thinking about an American kid John Carlson drafted by Washington who played for the London Knights this year and compared those guys. Carlson would have added some needed jump offensively to the US. McDonagh did not dazzle at all. On top of that tavares made him look bad, but then again JT has done that to a lot of guys

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
I think it's funny that we'd rather keep Weber and Subban.
Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Have to wonder why Habs drafted Ryan McDonagh at #12 overall in a pretty good draft year?

And, just like no one should ever question Gainey - apparently, no one should ever question Timmons.......I guess!

But, could it be that if - over the years - the Habs had drafted better - they would not be forced into questionable trades?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:14 AM
VancouverStingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
It's obvious Sather wanted one of the Big 3 (Subban, Weber, McDonagh) and out of those 3, in my opinion anyway, McDonagh is the least likely to become an NHLer, and probably has the lowest ceiling. I'm not saying he won't become a player, I actually think he will, but to me Weber and PK are just better bets, and have higher potential.

I'm not sure why Gainey couldn't get Sather off these guys though. Why not 2 of O'Bryne/Emelin/Valentenko/Carle. Surely that could've been enough to make this trade.

I've only seen McD at the WJC, and I wasn't impressed with his strength. Plus he didn't make it as an 18 year old.
Excellent post. I agree 100%! It came down to those 3 most likely and as much as we like McDonagh, Subban has intangibles and Weber is not only more ready, but is also an excellent prospect in the offensive zone, and can take care of business in his own end too. I think Gainey would rather trade just one prospect than 2 because lets face it, O'Byrne is still a solid Dman even though all these F'rs like to rip on him. Who wouldn't like a 6'6" dman who can skate and move the puck. Chara didn't develop till his mid 20s to even remotely resemble a competent Dman so if O'Byrne can improve even a little bit in the next couple of years I'll be happy with him as the #4 or#5/6 guy.

VancouverStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:48 AM
Duponttime*

Typical. You trade a highly rated prospect then try to convince yourself he's not that good. If an offer of Gomez for McDonagh was made the pass 3 months, every poster on this board would have spit on it. So, don't make it seem like the kid isnt' a stud prospect now.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:51 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarentobjective View Post
Typical. You trade a highly rated prospect then try to convince yourself he's not that good. If an offer of Gomez for McDonagh was made the pass 3 months, every poster on this board would have spit on it. So, don't make it seem like the kid isnt' a stud prospect now.
Agreed. I like that people are trying to rationalize and it's somewhat comforting until you remember what we just did...It shouldn't (and never did) take long to understand Bob's moves before, but this one is not like the others. Say what you will about first instincts...some people get them wrong for sure but I don't ANYONE here wouldn't have laughed at this trade if it was proposed a month ago.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote