HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rozsival package for Brad Richards?

Old
07-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Richter35

vCash: 500
realistically speaking, it may be something like roszival, dubinsky, mcdonagh for richards. I'd probably pull the trigger on that.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The cap hit isn't really a problem, other than that it limits what else we can do this year. If we were sending significant salary the other way it wouldn't really be a big problem. The key to most contracts is the length. Gomez has 5 years left, Richards only 2. The less long term contracts a team has, the more flexibility they have.

If we could somehow trade Redden + for Richards I'd do it in a heartbeart, as long as the + wasn't one of our young guys (though I would give up Zherdev). You put Drury on a wing then, Dubi 2nd line center, Artie 3rd, and we still have enough money to sign a winger and a dman to replace Redden.
How is it not a problem? $7.8 Million cap hit for a guy who is on the downslide over the past 4 years. The club just got out of one bad contract...why take on another like that? I agree that 2 years makes it an easier pill to swallow, but Richards I really do NOT see as a player who has the moxy to make it here in NY. He dissapears at times...and again, I think the guy is on the soft side.

But...if it was at the expense of Roszival, and an expendable asset I could swallow it...But if Dubi, Cally, or Staal are involved I would completely be against the deal.

Lion Hound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:01 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Brad Richards is Scott Gomez with a little more goalscoring ability and a little less playmaking ability. He's scored over 80 points once. Never scored more than 26 goals. Trading Scott Gomez just opened up miracle ability from Sather and if he goes ahead and fills the cap space with Brad ****ing Richards, he blows it all out the window and becomes, yet again, a blatant moron. If he goes out and spends the $7+ on someone like Heatley, he isn't. Because that's a guy who can give you 90+ points, and what's more, 40+ goals, and that's what this team needs, GOALS.
Gomez and Richards contracts are, for the most part, equal in terms of hit. So that's a wash. Richards is a better player. Period. Win Richards. Richards contract is shorter - 2 years. Win Richards. Richards is a proven Torts player and his style of play will compliment our other players. Gomez's playing did not. Win Richards.

So with all of this, you still don't want him? Do you really think Heatley is going to put up 90+ pts playing with Dubinsky as his center?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:01 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
How is it not a problem? $7.8 Million cap hit for a guy who is on the downslide over the past 4 years. The club just got out of one bad contract...why take on another like that? I agree that 2 years makes it an easier pill to swallow, but Richards I really do NOT see as a player who has the moxy to make it here in NY. He dissapears at times...and again, I think the guy is on the soft side.

But...if it was at the expense of Roszival, and an expendable asset I could swallow it...But if Dubi, Cally, or Staal are involved I would completely be against the deal.
Agree with the bolded part.

The beauty of a 2 year deal is that we really only need to keep him for 1 year. We could buy out the last year of his contract and would only have cap hits of 2.6 mil for 2 years. So we could easily clear 5.2 mil in 2010 if we needed to.

If we sign someone for say, 4 years at 5 mil per, we can't realistically buy that player out until 2011, and even then we'd carry the cap hit for 4 years.

So yes, shorter term is definitely much, much better than lower cap hit, especially to a cash rich team like the Rangers.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:06 AM
nyr7andcounting

I think I had read that when Avery opened his bar in NY, Richards was one of only a few hockey players there. So maybe he and Avery have some sort of friendship going. Plus Richards was a huge part of Tortorella's Lightning teams when they were good. So at least he has some connections to this team which is why it might be a reasonable rumor.

If Zubov retires I could see Dallas being interested in Roszival. And with all the young offensive defenseman we have I think Roszival is completely expendable.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:10 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
realistically speaking, it may be something like roszival, dubinsky, mcdonagh for richards. I'd probably pull the trigger on that.
no way. if you take out dubi, maybe...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Salvage21

I was actually thinking this very same thing last night when I got word of the trade.. To me, it makes some sense, but ultimately the Rangers should be using that money for a top level talent that could really change to dynamics of the team. You can argue that Richards is more of a goal-scorer than Gomez but the fact of the matter is that he has been on a steady decline over the past several years. Even if Rozsival's five million cap hit was in package going the other way, the Rangers would then only have something like 2.5 million gain. That certainly wouldn't be enough to sign a top level winger.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I'd rather a Redden deal all this guy needs is a chage of scenery to reclaim elite status.
Posted via Mobile Device

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
n_a_c

I don't think the Rangers will start the season with Drury and Dubinsky as the top 2 centers, and Anisimov as #3. I just don't think that is strong enough down the middle.

My proposal - a three for one trade.

Rozsival -or- Redden
+
Zherdev -or- Anisimov
+
Sanguinetti -or- McDonagh

for Richards

Dallas gains:
1. a solid top 4 defenseman who can play top 2 minutes. On a good day, either can perform like a top 2 defenseman.
2. a talented top 6 winger, who just needs to put things together. Or they gain a 20 year old who is ready to step in as third line center and has solid 2nd line potential.
3. a solid defensive prospect who can step in this year, or an even more talented one who should be ready in a couple years.

Rangers get the best player in the trade who could thrive under Torts as he did before. They just got McDonagh, so losing him or Sanguinetti is acceptable. And they'll either lose Anisimov, who doesn't really have a slot on the team because of Richards, or Zherdev, who I don't know will be a good fit under Torts.

However, I'll disclaim that Dallas doesn't need to trade Richards. They aren't rebuilding, so I don't see why they would for this package. But I think the value is there, and I don't think the Rangers are willing to pay much more. Perhaps an all-powerful 2nd round pick. But the Rangers can get a talented UFA in 15 minutes without losing any assets, which would be preferable to overpaying for Richards.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Brad Richards is Scott Gomez with a little more goalscoring ability and a little less playmaking ability. He's scored over 80 points once. Never scored more than 26 goals. Trading Scott Gomez just opened up miracle ability from Sather and if he goes ahead and fills the cap space with Brad ****ing Richards, he blows it all out the window and becomes, yet again, a blatant moron. If he goes out and spends the $7+ on someone like Heatley, he isn't. Because that's a guy who can give you 90+ points, and what's more, 40+ goals, and that's what this team needs, GOALS.
I think Richards has more to offer this Rangers team right now than what Gomez would have. But my first choice is still Cammalleri.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
From today's NYPost:

"To that end, it is believed the Rangers will talk to Dallas about 29-year-old Brad Richards, who won the Conn Smythe Trophy for John Tortorella's 2004 Stanley Cup winning Lightning, and who has two years at $7.8M per remaining on his contract."
This is pure speculation. There is no source, not even the ubiquitous "NHL exec," and no other explanation for why "it is believed."

Pure, pure speculation.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

If the basis of the deal is Rozsival for Richards, I would not be opposed. Obviously, it depends on what else is included in the package.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:12 AM
lundqvistfan33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Trade Redden and a pick/prospect for Richards (2 years left at 7.8 is ALOT better then Gomez at 5 years left at 7.3 / Not to mention getting rid of Reddens $6.5 for 5 more years). Sign Hossa and Gaborik to longer term deals at lower cap hits (Contracts front loaded).

Hossa - Richards - Gaborik (Drools lol)
Higgins - Dubinsky - Zherdev
Avery - Drury - Cally
Knuble - Anisimov - Korpido

Roll 4 lines consistantly. Can get production from all 4 lines.

I didn't run numbers because i'm too lazy, so it probably would not work out, but would be a nice lineup!
never gonna happen

lundqvistfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
lundqvistfan33

dont want Richards. He is good but not what we need. we need a guy who can consistently put up 45-50 goals a year

Old
07-01-2009, 11:15 AM
lundqvistfan33

he has never scored more than 26 goals

Old
07-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Please no. we just get out of a contract for an overpaid center with no scoring touch, we dont need another. Richards has been garbage lately, and is not even close to worth 7.8 mil.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Please no. we just get out of a contract for an overpaid center with no scoring touch, we dont need another. Richards has been garbage lately, and is not even close to worth 7.8 mil.
How many times did you watch Richards play last season?

Richards was quite good last season, and the biggest reason Loui Eriksson broke out. If Rozsival or Redden are going the other way, you aren't taking on that much salary since you are sending a lot back, and unlike Gomez, Richards doesn't have 5 years left on his deal.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:50 AM
allstar3970

over the last 3 seasons:

Gomez: .82 PPG
Richards: .85 PPG

Are you gonna pay $500K more than Gomez (who everybody agrees was overpaid) for that uptick?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
TheyareGonnaGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
over the last 3 seasons:

Are you gonna pay $500K more than Gomez (who everybody agrees was overpaid) for that uptick?
yeah but gomez is locked up for 5 more years Richards only 2

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
over the last 3 seasons:

Much more to it than point totals. Richards is a better player in almost all facets of the game.

With that said, I'm not sure he can handle the #1 role, and that's without taking into account he'd have nobody significant to pass to.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundqvistfan33 View Post
dont want Richards. He is good but not what we need. we need a guy who can consistently put up 45-50 goals a year
i dont want richards either, but the only guys in my opinion who can truly be counted on to score 45-50 every year are named Ovechkin and Kovalchuck.

Agreed though, need goals.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:04 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Much more to it than point totals. Richards is a better player in almost all facets of the game.

With that said, I'm not sure he can handle the #1 role, and that's without taking into account he'd have nobody significant to pass to.
then we'll be paying someone 7.8 mill for "intangibles". The Drury hater's heads will explode.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
then we'll be paying someone 7.8 mill for "intangibles". The Drury hater's heads will explode.
QBing the PP from the point, 80+ point potential and 25+ goals isn't really what I'd call 'intangibles' but again, he's probably not doing that on a line with Zherdev and Avery.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
It has nothing to do with intangibes, it has to do with brains and effort. Richards is a better scorer, a better defensive center, and better at setting up plays in the zone. Two years for his services as a stopgap is much different than 5 years of Gomez, and if you send Rozsival or Redden the other way, that wouldn't be that much salary to take back.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:09 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
QBing the PP from the point, 80+ point potential and 25+ goals isn't really what I'd call 'intangibles' but again, he's probably not doing that on a line with Zherdev and Avery.
Not that he's at all old, but its not like he's 23. I think he is what he is as far as potential goes.