HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: Sedin deal done, 5 years, 6.1 each per year

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Danavan

vCash: 500
I'm definately not pleased. While I agree that the Sedin's are top-20 offensive players in the league year in and year out, I don't think that they are the right fit for Vancouver. We needed a gamebreaker, and I guess we will be waiting for Hodgson and Schroeder to make the team before we see that.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Payaso619*

I'm still choked at the cap hit, people saw how far we got with last year, and now it's the same roster minus Sundin and Ohlund? Come on guys, no way we contend for a cup for next couple of years. That's the honest truth.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:44 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
4) This team was not good enough as a unit to get past the 2nd round. Why do people think that this team less a couple players will be good enough going forward? You have other teams making improvements (within or through UFA/Trades) while we're staying stagnant. This reminds me a lot of when Nonis gushed over re-signing the core. A core that wasn't good enough. This is history repeating itself.
Listen GENIUS the lineups aren't set.

People like you cried like this on the trade deadline when Calgary acquired Jokinen and Leopold. How'd that work out for them?

Old
07-01-2009, 12:45 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
I'm still choked at the cap hit, people saw how far we got with last year, and now it's the same roster minus Sundin and Ohlund? Come on guys, no way we contend for a cup for next couple of years. That's the honest truth.
This will be the last time I say this - it's July 1st. Can't we give it a bit more time before we start declaring our roster final?

Old
FruityPants3*

Quote:
3) The Sedins had a big contract year. Without a strong 2nd line I don't think you'll see these guys produce as much as they did this year. Back in 06-07 teams would focus on the Naslund line because Naslund was just coming off of a big season and was deemed to be our franchise forward. In 07-08 the Sedins were targetted and regressed. This past year the Sedins had Sundin on their second line for half of the year and teams targetted his line, as well as the Sedin line. Again, they had some pressure taken off, as well had a big contract year.

Yeah, what a completely artificial spike in production.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Listen GENIUS the lineups aren't set.

People like you cried like this on the trade deadline when Calgary acquired Jokinen and Leopold. How'd that work out for them?
No I didn't. I wanted us to stay AWAY from Jokinen

Old
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
VanEric

I gotta leave this board because of the idiocy of people acting like the season has now started and the Canucks aren't going to make any other moves. What horrible horrible posters. CDC level.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
If Hodgson, Raymond, Grabner, Bernier, Wellwood, Hansen, Rypien, O'Brien, Edler, Bieksa don't improve, we could be in trouble.
how many of those players are legit second liners?

Old
07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Dana Murzyn

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/200...e-in-vain.html

Burke apparently flew to Sweden with hopes of talking to the Sedins in person.

Old
dhabums*

Quote:
Okay I need to take a break from this thread because the arguments going on in here are short-sighted and absolutely ridiculous.

1) People acting like we can't win with Luongo. Roberto Luongo is the sole reason this team even made the playoffs and advanced to round 2 back in 2007. Yes he didn't look good in the Chicago series, but he's had 3 out of 4 good series.

2) The Sedins have not proven anything in the playoffs yet. They no-showed the 07 playoffs. They took advantage of a weak defensive team in St. Louis, and Daniel no-showed the Chicago series with the exception of the last game. You can look at the stats and gush over his PPG, but when you look at the stats, he had 2 2nd assists and 1 primary assist prior to game 6 of the Chicago series. The production just wasn't there.

3) The Sedins had a big contract year. Without a strong 2nd line I don't think you'll see these guys produce as much as they did this year. Back in 06-07 teams would focus on the Naslund line because Naslund was just coming off of a big season and was deemed to be our franchise forward. In 07-08 the Sedins were targetted and regressed. This past year the Sedins had Sundin on their second line for half of the year and teams targetted his line, as well as the Sedin line. Again, they had some pressure taken off, as well had a big contract year.

4) This team was not good enough as a unit to get past the 2nd round. Why do people think that this team less a couple players will be good enough going forward? You have other teams making improvements (within or through UFA/Trades) while we're staying stagnant. This reminds me a lot of when Nonis gushed over re-signing the core. A core that wasn't good enough. This is history repeating itself.
Sweetie, nobody is truly saying we can't win with Luongo. It is good to see though that you are starting to see how dumb paugic is though. Are there 2 better players than the Sedins? Of course. Were they available for less money and willing to be here? I don't know.

Old
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
This will be the last time I say this - it's July 1st. Can't we give it a bit more time before we start declaring our roster final?
What else do you see to improve this team? Gillis better pull a miracle out of his ass because if not than this team will not go anywhere. What do you suggest? Signing what players? we have roughly 8M left to improve the D, F, and a Backup goalie. Please elaborate what you suggest to change this team.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I gotta leave this board because of the idiocy of people acting like the season has now started and the Canucks aren't going to make any other moves. What horrible horrible posters. CDC level.
Who are we going to move to clear cap space? Sedins? NMC. Mitchell? NTC. Salo? NTC Bieksa? No defense depth then. Demitra? Unlikely.

Old
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

You can clearly see the logic of how this team not making it past the 2nd round last season will be better by getting rid of Ohlund (a multiple time all-star) and Sundin (a hall of famer) and throwing an assload of cash at the Sedins.

Old
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post

This is golden.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:50 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:

The TSN panel didn't even speculate such, instead thinking that Burke is there to put some pressure on Gustavsson to make a decision.

Interesting to say the least.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:50 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
how many of those players are legit second liners?
How many players' careers are defined before 25?

Old
07-01-2009, 12:51 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
What else do you see to improve this team? Gillis better pull a miracle out of his ass because if not than this team will not go anywhere. What do you suggest? Signing what players? we have roughly 8M left to improve the D, F, and a Backup goalie. Please elaborate what you suggest to change this team.
Like I said - it's July first and we still have cap room left. My only point is it's premature to declare this offseason a disaster.

We have the cap room to still sign one of Neidermayer, Hossa, Gaborik, Cammalleri, etc assuming they don't go for $7MM+. Any of those guys added to what we currently have makes our team better starting out the year vs. last years opening roster.

We have options to go the trade route. Not sure what Gillis will do but he does still have options.

Old
serge2k

Quote:
Okay I need to take a break from this thread because the arguments going on in here are short-sighted and absolutely ridiculous.

1) People acting like we can't win with Luongo. Roberto Luongo is the sole reason this team even made the playoffs and advanced to round 2 back in 2007. Yes he didn't look good in the Chicago series, but he's had 3 out of 4 good series.
If you quit apply this ridiculous logic to the sedins the arguments against luongo would go away quickly. It's not really anything against luongo (well for most I think), just more pointing out your flawed reasoning and terrible double standards.

Quote:
2) The Sedins have not proven anything in the playoffs yet. They no-showed the 07 playoffs. They took advantage of a weak defensive team in St. Louis, and Daniel no-showed the Chicago series with the exception of the last game. You can look at the stats and gush over his PPG, but when you look at the stats, he had 2 2nd assists and 1 primary assist prior to game 6 of the Chicago series. The production just wasn't there.
1 primary, 1 secondary. if you want to use that excuse at elast get it right and you should probably post a video of the Salo goal to at least show Daniel was completely useless and got a lame second assist.

Because you know, the sedins like to cycle it around and both usually touch the puck a few times before a scoring play.

Luongo can't win a series against a team with scoring ability.
Quote:
Henrik's production went up slightly after sundin arrive. 44 points vs 37.

Daniel had exactly 41/41.

might have had soemthing to do with Henrik having a linemate who went on a 15 goals in 22 games run in the second half.

Quote:
free agencyy started 2 hours ago.

Old
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

21% of our cap is now going to lifeless suck for the next five years

Old
rebel diamond

Quote:

TSN is saying he went to talk to that goalie Gustavsson.

Old
Zorbane

Kinda high but I don't think Gillis had much choice

Old
07-01-2009, 12:52 PM
caycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
You can clearly see the logic of how this team not making it past the 2nd round last season will be better by getting rid of Ohlund (a multiple time all-star) and Sundin (a hall of famer) and throwing an assload of cash at the Sedins.
I'm sorry, so we're better off keeping Sundin and letting the Sedins walk?

Old
07-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Tripwyre

Yes, perennial all-star Mattias Ohlund and noted speedster Mats Sundin will be deeply missed. How dare we consider bringing back our PPG forwards, and the only players on our roster with clear-cut first-line skill.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
21% of our cap is now going to lifeless suck for the next five years
You mean ppg players who rarley get injured and have matured to becoming solid playoff performers? Because it sounded like you just said lifeless suck.

Old
07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

Quote:
Ohlund (a multiple time all-star)
Watch Patrick Kane's 1st goal in game 6. That's Matthias Ohlund now. Keep it up.

Closed Thread