HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: Sedin deal done, 5 years, 6.1 each per year

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Grannys

vCash: 500
And my hate for the ginger bread sisters will continue!!!!

Bring on the Canucks/Calgary battles!!!!!

Old
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
This is the biggest mistake since Naslund. As early as this time next year we will all be talking about trying to move space and wishing we weren't tied to Salo's NTC or the Sedins. This team is ****ed.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Most people from other teams think its a reasonable deal.

I tend to agree somewhat. Slight overpayment, but really I'm okay with it.

I cant wait to see what a full season of Sedin - Sedin - Burrows brings.

07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That's the kiss of death...
Well, the fountain of knowledge that is Doug Maclean used the "no cups - no win" argument against the signing of the Sedins, so consider that a vaccination.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:25 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post

Yeah but most people from other teams think the Sedins might be good enough to carry this team offensively to a Cup. We've seen this same story for years and it hasn't worked and it won't work.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
The Sedins are being overpayed by 1 million dollars, it reduce our flexibility to improve the team. Look, the Sedins cannot carry a team and has to rely on secondary scoring for them to succeed, unless Hodgson and Jordan both make the team next year, our team will not improve much against teams like Calgary, who has just acquired Bouwmester.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Transom Bob

I HATE this signing. I understand we needed to do it for lack of a better option, but it's a gross overpayment. There are no UFA's out there where the clause is you need to sign the player AND his best friend. That alone should lower their value.

I'm really hating the Sedin's right now. I don't think they did us any favors. I also have to say I hate the length of the deal too. Perhaps I'm being overdramatic, but I just have a bad feeling about this. I feel like the last few seasons have been a series of best-case-scenarios with the Sedins, where they have been injury free and played right up to the top of their potential. I know it sounds crazy, but I would've opted for the rebuild. I don't like the concept of building around these guys for the next 5 years.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
6.1 million dollars for 5 freaking years, god!
And don't forget what it cost to send Gillis and Gillman to Stockholm for 12 hours:

Business class seats SAS airlines $$$
Best hotel in Stockholm $$
Vintage champagne at the duty free $$
Swedish, er, "ladies of the evening" $$$$$

Old
07-01-2009, 11:30 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Yeah but most people from other teams think the Sedins might be good enough to carry this team offensively to a Cup. We've seen this same story for years and it hasn't worked and it won't work.
Yes, we all know your stance...

Old
07-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
And don't forget what it cost to send Gillis and Gillman to Stockholm for 12 hours:

Business class seats SAS airlines $$$
Best hotel in Stockholm $$
Vintage champagne at the duty free $$
Swedish, er, "ladies of the evening" $$$$$
Exactly! Those belongs to me!

Old
07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Payaso619*

I like the term, but the ****ing cap hit isn't going to help us what so ever.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
This contract makes me sick, honestly. This is by far the worst mistake since the Naslund contract. $6.1M is way too much for these guys who have PROVEN they aren't good enough to lead this team anywhere. They are now paid like our franchise players, and that they are not!

This team is screwed in the short-term. At least it's only 5 years but we are now, as an organization, set back for 5 years.

I'm also devastated by this deal. Gillis had a golden opportunity to improve this team and maybe even lead us to a Stanley Cup a few years down the road and instead has so far initiated the worst offseason in a decade.

These contracts will make Redden and Roszival look like absolute steals - but I have a feeling Bob Gainey won't be around to clean up our mess.

This franchise continues to be a joke. Sad day to be a Vancouver fan.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

I don't think wellwood should be signed at the rumored 1.75 million deal. not worth it at all.

also, goodbye diamonddog.

btw guys that "sedins havent lead us to the cup" argument is the dumbest ****ing thing i have ever seen. how many teams' top players have? 29 teams fail every year.

have all you maroons forgotten why the canucks lost in the playoffs? it wasn't the sedins disappearing act, it was the luongo/kesler/ohlund/mitchell disappearing act.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post

Actually all the comments I've read are from Leafs fans extremely happy with the deal - only because they didn't sign them.

I'm not sure if I'm more appalled or disgusted....

Old
07-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Dana Murzyn

Over at our main rivals' board, they are almost unanimous in thinking this was a good signing for the Canucks. That says a lot.

Good to have the twins back. I only wish Gillis hadn't stuck his big, sweaty foot in his mouth on his first day on the job. I bet if he'd been positive about the Sedins from the start, he could have settled this a long time ago, and for better dollars.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:35 AM
caycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Actually all the comments I've read are from Leafs fans extremely happy with the deal - only because they didn't sign them.

I'm not sure if I'm more appalled or disgusted....
Maybe you should branch out and read comments from other teams fans.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyCrosby View Post
I don't think wellwood should be signed at the rumored 1.75 million deal. not worth it at all.

also, goodbye diamonddog.

btw guys that "sedins havent lead us to the cup" argument is the dumbest ****ing thing i have ever seen. how many teams' top players have? 29 teams fail every year.
Eh? I stuck around for the Messier years and I guess I'll stick around for these 5 years.

I will save a ton of money on alcohol during the playoffs for 5 years, so I suppose that's the one silver lining in all of this.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Of course, you've never been able to present a realistic alternative for replacing the Sedins, so it's hard to take you that seriously.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycanuck View Post
Maybe you should branch out and read comments from other teams fans.
Maybe you should practice what you preach - here's the link:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=657536&page=2

I've seen 5 comments by Leafs fans happy they didn't sign there, I can tell you their post numbers if you're too lazy to read the thread.

Old
NeoCanuck

Send a message via AIM to NeoCanuck Send a message via MSN to NeoCanuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
I HATE this signing. I understand we needed to do it for lack of a better option, but it's a gross overpayment. There are no UFA's out there where the clause is you need to sign the player AND his best friend. That alone should lower their value.

I'm really hating the Sedin's right now. I don't think they did us any favors. I also have to say I hate the length of the deal too. Perhaps I'm being overdramatic, but I just have a bad feeling about this. I feel like the last few seasons have been a series of best-case-scenarios with the Sedins, where they have been injury free and played right up to the top of their potential. I know it sounds crazy, but I would've opted for the rebuild. I don't like the concept of building around these guys for the next 5 years.
Absolutely agree.

5 year year contracts along with No Movement Clauses are basically telling us that the SEDINS have to win us the cup in the next five years. We're not going to have the Cap space, along with Luongo here, to legitimately win and build a balanced scoring team. We have no second line center, we have no first line wingers aside from Daniel, we have no puck moving D-man. We have, what, 5 million in space left?

They are two "selfish" roster players. They don't play without each other, if they slump their not moved to different lines or even split up. They have maybe two ways of offense, the Cycle and off the rush, maybe twenty percent of the time. They aren't bad at anything, but they are not particularly fantastic at anything, perhaps again the Cycle. You can't build your franchise around players with this many problems and clauses in the term of their play.

Old
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
Of course, you've never been able to present a realistic alternative for replacing the Sedins, so it's hard to take you that seriously.
mike cammaleri as the top line center isn't reasonable enough?

Old
07-01-2009, 11:39 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCanuck View Post
Absolutely agree.

5 year year contracts along with No Movement Clauses are basically telling us that the SEDINS have to win us the cup in the next five years. We're not going to have the Cap space, along with Luongo here, to legitimately win and build a balanced scoring team. We have no second line center, we have no first line wingers aside from Daniel, we have no puck moving D-man. We have, what, 5 million in space left?

They are two "selfish" roster players. They don't play without each other, if they slump their not moved to different lines or even split up. They have maybe two ways of offense, the Cycle and off the rush, maybe twenty percent of the time. They aren't bad at anything, but they are not particularly fantastic at anything, perhaps again the Cycle. You can't build your franchise around players with this many problems and clauses in the term of their play.
And what happens when Hodgson comes up and puts up good numbers during his ELC? And Schroeder? What happens when the Sedins have a year or two left and these guys's ELC's are up and we can't re-sign these guys? Are we going to be so happy then?

Old
07-01-2009, 11:40 AM
caycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Maybe you should practice what you preach - here's the link:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=657536&page=2

I've seen 5 comments by Leafs fans happy they didn't sign there, I can tell you their post numbers if you're too lazy to read the thread.
I've been reading that thread. A lot of people seem to think it's a good deal. Since when did we only care what Leaf fans thought of it? Personally, I don't give a **** what any Leafs fan thinks about anything.

Old
serge2k

Quote:
And what happens when Hodgson comes up and puts up good numbers during his ELC? And Schroeder? What happens when the Sedins have a year or two left and these guys's ELC's are up and we can't re-sign these guys? Are we going to be so happy then?
well (and this is a radical idea I know) we could make a trade.

nah, crazy talk.

The sedins making 12 million means we have absolutely no cap space left for anythig else ever.

Old
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

This is great news!!!

Canucks without the Sedins would not have been the same

The cap hit is pretty high though.

Closed Thread