HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tampa Bay signs Ohlund 7 years, $3.5/year

Old
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Cleatus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
I don't like the contract length, but I say this is a great signing for Tampa. They finally have a good defense-core, and I think they will make the playoffs next year.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
I don't like the contract length, but I say this is a great signing for Tampa. They finally have a good defense-core, and I think they will make the playoffs next year.
As much as I would like to be an optimist, as a lightning fan last year taught me not to be. I could see us making a run, maybe a 9th or 10th spot but were still a season away at least IMO.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
The only thing that really matters here is the cap hit. How much money he makes annually isn't nearly as much so.
It does on a team that has a self-imposed salary ceiling, which Tampa evidently does.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
DL44

vCash: 50
What Tampa fans will notice about Ohlund's game... my perspective.

con - foot speed: takes bad penalties because of it, and.... that's about it.

very good offensive instincts... my favorite play of his.... sliding back door... mostly on the PP, but activates 5-on-5. Good shot, good positioning, and great hitter when he wants to - i.e. rarely puts himself out of position to make a big hit... and rarely misses his big hit when he commits.

You'll hear some negative stuff because of an average season, and getting 'posterized' by Kane... but he was one of our best Dmen in the playoffs and earned a fat contract this off season..

One of those players you hate to see leave your organization, but feel good for for cashing in and sealing his financial future.

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
I strongly doubt Ohlund makes any very crucial difference. Hedman might.

cheers

Old
07-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
As much as I would like to be an optimist, as a lightning fan last year taught me not to be. I could see us making a run, maybe a 9th or 10th spot but were still a season away at least IMO.
True.

I thought they'd make it last year, but the season showed that they lacked puck-movement from the blue-line. Ohlund is a capable puck-mover, and he's also a very good shutdown defenseman. He and Hedman are the missing pieces for Tampa.

I don't see Montreal or the Rangers making the playoffs next year, so I think that leaves Tampa a good chance to steal 7th or 8th place.

I'm also expecting Stamkos to have a great season (60+ points).

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Qvist

Quote:
I thought they'd make it last year, but the season showed that they lacked puck-movement from the blue-line. Ohlund is a capable puck-mover, and he's also a very good shutdown defenseman. He and Hedman are the missing pieces for Tampa.
Heh, the Lightning lacked a lot more than just puck-movement from the blueline.

cheers

Old
07-01-2009, 04:17 PM
cantonese

oh man!! it'll be strange to not see ohlund play for the canucks anymore...
hes good pickup...hope he retires by the time the contract ends or it might hurt the bolts...but he is solid!! slowly on a decline but perfect mentor for hedman

cantonese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Kiefer

Good signing IMO, I wish him all the best in Tampa.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Spamhuis

Probably teh best indication of how Canucks feel about this is the fact that none of us are all that upset he is leaving.

He's a good player, just not 3.75 mill for 7 years. 3.75 mill for 2 years and you'd be ok.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:59 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Yeah I really feel sorry for Tampa, although I doubt the fans there will really care all that much because of who else they have as their defense core. Ohlund really is not that good and soon you'll see, once Hedman develops, just how bad he really is. To start he'll look okay because of the rest of the d-core, but once you guys get some good defensemen (ie. when Hedman develops and you bring in others) Ohlund will look terrible like he was in Vancouver.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:52 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

This is every bit as bad as the Redden contract last year.

Is it more economical, sure. However to have a 33 year old D tied up until he is 40? Look, this isn't Lidstrom or Pronger we are talking about here.

I think overpaying for 3 years is preferable to keeping him on the books for 7.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote