HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers sign Khabibulin (4 years $3,750 per)

Old
07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
It's a good thing the Oiler brass chose to forget the three years of suckage he gave us before having one good season.
He's as good as the team in front of him.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Ticonderoga
Undercover agent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I don't think anyone will say Roloson didn't play well for the Oilers down the stretch last season but I think most would agree that it was a bit of a hot streak. I would say Roloson on a hot streak is as good as Khabibulin in general.
No, I think Roli on a hot streak is a pretty good.

Khabi on a hot streak may be better (and should be), but not by much. I was not overly impressed with him last playoffs. Chicago should have beathen Calgary in like 5 games but Khabi has a few bad games with a few bad goals which gave the Flames a chance. He is better then Roli for sure, but not by a whole lot.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
hawksfan79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
So much for Chicago being able to unload Huet's contract on some poor team
This would be true...IF the Hawks managed to re-sign Khabby. I'm not one of those people who are making it the end of the world that we're going with Huet. Khabby struggled mightily then finally turned it on. Huet doesn't have to be spectacular with this team, he just needs to not completely suck. The Oilers needed a goalie, and got a solid one, but their D will have to become significantly better in order for this to matter at all.

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Khabi on a hot streak is the best goalie in the world. If he's in the zone, you will not beat him. Just not in it often enough, and he gives up lots of soft goals for every tough save.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Pretty good cap hit for sure. Length seems a bit long though. Khabibulin is a great goalie though so the Oilers did well. And he's a flames killer on top of that.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Behn Wilson

Congrats to Edmonton and Edmonton fans, you just signed yourselves one Helluva goalie. He wil be sorely missed in Chicago.

Good luck to you in Edmonton Khabi and thanks for your time in Chicago!

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Edmonton and Chicago are on two entirely different levels when it comes to temperature. Khabi is a solid starting goalie, but he definitely didn't steal a single playoff game for us. Was solid throughout sure, but I'm comfortable going with Huet next year.
Game 6 vs Flames when he had 40+ saves and we only had what 16. He was great vs Flames and average vs Canucks. Vs Red Wings he was only reason we weren't blown out in game 1 and 2.

I am a big Khabibulin fan and It is great to see he got the longterm deal he wanted. He is an improvement over Roloson and will give you good goaltending on a consistant basis.

Only thing you have to worry about is his groin and back. The last few years in Chicago he has missed significant time with those troubles. It hurt us in 08 when Lalime was our backup but Huet was able to hold the fort during Khabby's injury last season.

Khabibulin is no longer the guy who could play 60+ games every year. He will need a solid backup who can play 20-30 games a yr.

I wish he would have stayed around here as our #2 but I will have to give Huet a chance now that he is our clear cut #1, He was miserable last year at the most important times (Aside from gm 5 vs Wings) and struggles with his consistancy to make me believe he cant carry a team. I hope he proves me wrong!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
4/15M to a 36 year old goaltender that was on waivers not too long ago, this has the potential to blow up.
Quote:
I thought he played well, but you're paying him to play like that for the next 4 years.
Quote:
It's probably not overpayment but still, 4 years.
Ok, we get it. You don't like the Oilers, or anything to do with the Oilers.
Not everyone can sign all the superstars like the Kings have

I'm OK with the deal, but I wont be rushing out to get a Khabulin jersey

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I'm sorry, what other veteran NHL starter were you going to pick up for 3.75 million dollars? 4-5 million is the starting point for goalies with 60 game a year ability, and most of them don't even have a Cup.

If you want to pay less than that, there's always the Martin Birons, Martin Gerbers, and Vesa Toskalas of the league. Unless you are Detroit or Nashville and you can protect your goalie better than most, you got to spend the money in the crease if you want to win.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:32 AM
thefifthsedin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Chicago is called the windy city because of politics, not because it's really windy.
but it lies right beside lake michigan! brrrrr ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_..._Windy_City%22

thefifthsedin* is offline   Reply With Quote