HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Hurricanes sign Erik Cole, 2yrs $2.8M, $3.0M ($2.9M cap hit)

Old
07-01-2009, 03:12 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Hurricanes sign Erik Cole, 2yrs $2.8M, $3.0M ($2.9M cap hit)

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?...ticleid=433048

Quote:
Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, announced today that the team has agreed to terms with forward Erik Cole on a two-year contract. The deal will pay Cole $2.8 million in 2009-10 and $3 million in 2010-11.

“Erik clearly had an instant impact on our team when he returned to Carolina in March,” said Rutherford. “He has been an important piece for our franchise for a long time and we are pleased that he has decided to remain at home in Raleigh.”

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 07-01-2009 at 03:42 PM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:13 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

vCash: 500
Like i said,

"Say hello to Ruutu- Staal- Cole line in next two year and another 70-75 points season for Staal."

Overpayment, obviosly.

But, important for locker room.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
slight overpayment, but I'll take it.

Two year deal i can deal with. I wouldn't want to have any longer than that with bunch of kids are getting ready for NHL.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

I'm apathetic. It's not a deal that will kill us, but he has to deliver. Luckily I still have some belief that there is the potential for Erik Cole to deliver a big season. Whether he does or not, I guess we will see, but the last year has probably been a major reality check for him.

What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Like i said,

"Say hello to Ruutu- Staal- Cole line in next two year and another 70-75 points season for Staal."

Overpayment, obviosly.

That's an overreaction. If Cole is dragging the line down he'll be moved off it just like he was in the playoffs. You should know by now that it was going to be Cole or a rookie on that line anyway

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Yeah, bit of an overpayment but I am semi-glad he is back. Not because I am a Cole fan (we all know better than that), but because I didn't want to rush multiple kids into the NHL.

We can forget about a "real" top line winger now, though.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Like i said,

Overpayment, obviosly.

Staal can do better than that, even with Ruutu and Cole. He was over a point-per-game (I believe) after Maurice's arrival.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
dmonk
doughberle

From official Canes press release:

Quote:
Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, announced today that the team has agreed to terms with forward Erik Cole on a two-year contract. The deal will pay Cole $2.8 million in 2009-10 and $3 million in 2010-11.

“Erik clearly had an instant impact on our team when he returned to Carolina in March,” said Rutherford. “He has been an important piece for our franchise for a long time and we are pleased that he has decided to remain at home in Raleigh.”

Cole, 30, netted 18 goals and earned 24 assists (42 points) in 80 games with Edmonton and Carolina in 2008-09. Re-acquired by the Hurricanes on March 4 as part of a three-team trade with Los Angeles and Edmonton, the Oswego, NY, native ranked second among Hurricanes skaters in hits (180) and fourth on the team in takeaways (49). In 17 games with Carolina after the trade, he notched 15 points (2g, 13a), helping the Hurricanes to a 12-3-2 record in that span. In 498 career NHL games with Carolina and Edmonton, Cole has notched 322 points (147g, 175a) and 479 penalty minutes.

Originally drafted by Carolina in the third round of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Cole has totaled 131 goals and 164 assists (295 points) and 416 penalty minutes in 435 games with the Hurricanes. He has earned 14 points (6g, 8a) and 52 penalty minutes in 43 Stanley Cup playoff games for the Hurricanes, helping Carolina reach the Stanley Cup Finals in 2002, win the Stanley Cup in 2006 and reach the Eastern Conference Finals in 2009. Cole is fourth in goals scored by Hurricanes players since the team relocated to North Carolina with 131, and ranks seventh in games played (435), sixth in points (295), seventh in assists (164), fourth in penalty minutes (416), sixth in power-play goals (33), third in shorthanded goals (7) and second in hat tricks (4) in a Hurricanes uniform.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
Yeah, bit of an overpayment but I am semi-glad he is back. Not because I am a Cole fan (we all know better than that), but because I didn't want to rush multiple kids into the NHL.

We can forget about a "real" top line winger now, though.
We were NEVER going to get a "real" top line winger though. If Cole didn't sign, we would have gone with a) a rookie or b) a bargain bin

I said I wouldn't go over $3M for Cole. We aren't. The length is just about right to let one of the kids (Bowman or Boychuk) to get seasoned in the AHL.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

See you later Rosie. Hopefully Cole quits playing like a bum the next two years.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
We were NEVER going to get a "real" top line winger though. If Cole didn't sign, we would have gone with a) a rookie or b) a bargain bin

I said I wouldn't go over $3M for Cole. We aren't. The length is just about right to let one of the kids (Bowman or Boychuk) to get seasoned in the AHL.
I know, I know. Just wishful thinking.

...But now there's probably not going to be any room next year for a 1st liner, either.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:

...But now there's probably not going to be any room next year for a 1st liner, either.
nor for top 4 defenseman.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

Stole this from another board:

"Erik Cole is lucky that Jim Rutherford is a gentleman and didn't tell him to buzz off." - Pierre McGuire.

Does anybody know if the offer Cole accepted is the same one that was offered prior to today, or did Rutherford up it some?

Old
07-01-2009, 03:25 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Rutherford probably panicked and added more money or no team was close enough to our offer.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:25 PM
bleedgreen

A) i can now speak up on the cole/williams trade. im good with it! i couldnt stand the thought of losing them both, and while willy is the better choice we now acquired pitts for willy. im ok with that. i was sooo pissed about this trade, for fear of what almost happened today.

B) overpayment? seriously? we got a power forward with a scoring history to take over a million dollar paycut over a VERY reasonable two year deal. we wont be keeping erik cole too long if he fades out folks. this is no anchor around our neck. it doesnt improve much, but we dont drop either, which is nice. limits jr's ability to throw the kids to the wolves too soon. now they have to earn it a bit more.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
caniac247

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
nor for top 4 defenseman.
Wouldn't get one next year either cause JR will put all his money into re-signing Cam

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Caniac4ever

I'm ok with it... I would've rather kept Rosie, but I do like having Cole around to add some more size to the team. The price is right. I agree with the idea that anything over 3 would've been a bad signing...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:28 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Rutherford probably panicked and added more money or no team was close enough to our offer.
Didn't he say he'd take less money to stay here? Teams could have been offering 3.5M max but he still wanted to stay here

Old
07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Don't think so...

As i said in another thread, Cole would take a home town discount if the offers he was getting from other teams were only slightly more from what JR offered.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I wouldn't say that. Cole's 2.9 is not going to effect next year. I wouldn't call it overpayment either. I think it's just about right and it fits. Whitney, Cullen, Walker, Kaberle, Wallin, Corvo come off the books next July.

That is $15.525 million free.

We can potentially fill holes with Boychuk, Bowman, Sutter, McBain, Carson.

Ward will get a raise but that will still leave us quite a chunk of money to sign some quality players. I think we'll be ok next July.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Let's not forget that Jokinen signed for less than people predicted. Add their salaries together and you have a good deal

Old
07-01-2009, 03:32 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
A) i can now speak up on the cole/williams trade. im good with it! i couldnt stand the thought of losing them both, and while willy is the better choice we now acquired pitts for willy. im ok with that. i was sooo pissed about this trade, for fear of what almost happened today.

B) overpayment? seriously? we got a power forward with a scoring history to take over a million dollar paycut over a VERY reasonable two year deal. we wont be keeping erik cole too long if he fades out folks. this is no anchor around our neck. it doesnt improve much, but we dont drop either, which is nice. limits jr's ability to throw the kids to the wolves too soon. now they have to earn it a bit more.
I'll admit it's not a bad overpayment, I just hope he would sign for a little less to give us a bit more cap flexibility.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Niko37

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Absolutely right, that's what was worrying me so much about not re-signing either one of them...

Niko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:36 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

I don't understand situation with $$$, so...

Chance for us to sign with 2nd line RW or top 4 D-man soon?

Or maybe Cole will be this 2nd RW if Bowman/ Boychuk is ready to jump in NHL?

Thanks .

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:36 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Vagrant must still be napping.