HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Ian Laperriere 3 years $1.167M per

Old
07-02-2009, 02:07 AM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I think those guys are both RFA's right?
Hansen plays wing, can he take face offs?

Otherwise I pull the trigger on that.
Kesler would be the perfect guy, but he's going nowhere. Hansen is very good defensively, don't think he takes faceoffs, though. Laperriere-Powe-Hansen would be an insane 3rd line.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p.../Jannik_Hansen

Mason Raymond would be another option. Neither should make much more than $1.2 million.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Kesler would be the perfect guy, but he's going nowhere. Hansen is very good defensively, don't think he takes faceoffs, though. Laperriere-Powe-Hansen would be an insane 3rd line.

Mason Raymond would be another option. Neither should make much more than $1.2 million.

Is Marchant signed yet (he is available I think right)? Homer, please give away Randy Jones and get whatever for Carle, then go get Marchant. We could use him eating some of Richards' PK time and we need a third line center that can play on a legit shut down line, not a half-assed third scoring line (picture a third line with, say, Andreas Nodl and Jared Ross on it). When Sjostrom went to the Flames I was a little disappointed. I like Riley Cote a lot, but if we could've gotten Sjostrom on the Flyers for what the Flames payed, he'd be back with the Phantoms so fast. Blair Betts is another guy from the Rangers that I liked who would be cheap. The line up below looks like it could actually win something...

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Marchant - Lapierre
Carcillo - Betts - Asham

Timonen - Parent
Coburn - Pronger
Alberts - whomever

Emery
Boucher

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 07-02-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
not crazy about this signing.
why do we need another player like this.
Because Lappy will be the best of your players like this. This Penguin fan does not like this signing at all.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:33 AM
BGDDYKWL

Word is Malhotra wants serious money, so I'm not sure how realistic an option he is unfortunately.

Laperriere had 163 PIMs last year, but only 14 minors that put his team down a man. That's what's important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
not crazy about this signing.
why do we need another player like this.
whats next trade Gagne and Briere and sign Chris Gratton and Todd Bertuzzi?
How come just because he's tough that somehow is a negative. That's a positive. He's a heart and soul, character, leader type of player, who is very capable on the third line, who can chip in 25 points, play solid defensively, kill penalties, hit, and defend his teammates. Just because both he and Carcillo fight doesn't mean Lappy is redundant. Also, I know you were making a point, but I'd jump at the chance to trade Briere and sign Bertuzzi.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 06:03 AM
miltons rules

I'm wondering if there was a problem with leadership last year, it seems all the players they are trading for and signing all have one thing in common LEADERSHIP QUALITIES.

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:18 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton rules View Post
I'm wondering if there was a problem with leadership last year, it seems all the players they are trading for and signing all have one thing in common LEADERSHIP QUALITIES.
maybe. with a guy like smith, whose play had diminished but whose leadership was still topflight, the flyers made it to the ECF. plus they had hatcher, who is no slouch in the leadership department either.

hopefully adding pronger will provide the veteran blue-line leadership we lost when smith left and hatcher retired.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
There was, and now there are two guys in here who are going to smack some people upside the head if they start messing around.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
There was, and now there are two guys in here who are going to smack some people upside the head if they start messing around.
I like this

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:01 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
The Frat House has been invaded, and that's a fact. Pronger will bring maturity. Laperriere the veteran presence and personality. Emery will bring who knows what.

I was surprised how many commentators called Richards out by name or by implication when the Flyers got Pronger. Clearly there are a lot of people who don't consider him to have behaved like a captain. Time for him to grow up - it would be mightily embarrassing for him to get smoted by one of these new guys.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
The Frat House has been invaded, and that's a fact. Pronger will bring maturity. Laperriere the veteran presence and personality. Emery will bring who knows what.

I was surprised how many commentators called Richards out by name or by implication when the Flyers got Pronger. Clearly there are a lot of people who don't consider him to have behaved like a captain. Time for him to grow up - it would be mightily embarrassing for him to get smoted by one of these new guys.
I think he was named captain too early, however, he was the best option at the time.

Last edited by Opus: 07-02-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:23 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Word is Malhotra wants serious money, so I'm not sure how realistic an option he is unfortunately.

Laperriere had 163 PIMs last year, but only 14 minors that put his team down a man. That's what's important.

How come just because he's tough that somehow is a negative. That's a positive. He's a heart and soul, character, leader type of player, who is very capable on the third line, who can chip in 25 points, play solid defensively, kill penalties, hit, and defend his teammates. Just because both he and Carcillo fight doesn't mean Lappy is redundant. Also, I know you were making a point, but I'd jump at the chance to trade Briere and sign Bertuzzi.
I want Malhotra so bad for this team. Lappy-Malhotra-Asham would be a great 3rd line.

If the money Malhotra is asking for is moderately reasonable you HAVE to move Carle and/or Jones (both in my world) and sign him. You can find a bottom pairing D-man for cheap (Alberts) and play a rook with them. Our top 4 is gonna eat all the minutes anyway.

Edit: Also, I don't understand people not liking the Laperierre signing. I absolutely love it. Small dollars, great character guy/role player for our 3rd line.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

I like Hansen, he has some good offensive upside as well as being a hell of defensive player.

How is Powe on faceoffs though? He played mostly wing with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Is Marchant signed yet (he is available I think right)? Homer, please give away Randy Jones and get whatever for Carle, then go get Marchant. We could use him eating some of Richards' PK time and we need a third line center that can play on a legit shut down line, not a half-assed third scoring line (picture a third line with, say, Andreas Nodl and Jared Ross on it). When Sjostrom went to the Flames I was a little disappointed. I like Riley Cote a lot, but if we could've gotten Sjostrom on the Flyers for what the Flames payed, he'd be back with the Phantoms so fast. Blair Betts is another guy from the Rangers that I liked who would be cheap. The line up below looks like it could actually win something...

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Marchant - Lapierre
Carcillo - Betts - Asham

Timonen - Parent
Coburn - Pronger
Alberts - whomever

Emery
Boucher
I wouldnt mind Marchant if we cant get or afford Malhotra, but not sure he is 3rd line caliber anymore either....He has been a 4th liner for some time now and isnt getting any younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post

Why the hell would you want to trade Briere and sign Bertuzzi?? That is nuts...Briere is one of the top scorers in the playoffs over the past several years and we cant afford to give up any more offense.

As for Malhotra, seeing what Pahlsson and Madden got, Malhotra deserves at least that cause he puts up more points and has the size that usually carries a premium. I would be surprised if he got $3 million.....With that said, I would move Carle and pay that for him to be honest. I think what he brings is the only missing ingredient on this team at the moment, assuming the goalies play well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
I like this
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I want Malhotra so bad for this team. Lappy-Malhotra-Asham would be a great 3rd line.

If the money Malhotra is asking for is moderately reasonable you HAVE to move Carle and/or Jones (both in my world) and sign him. You can find a bottom pairing D-man for cheap (Alberts) and play a rook with them. Our top 4 is gonna eat all the minutes anyway.

Edit: Also, I don't understand people not liking the Laperierre signing. I absolutely love it. Small dollars, great character guy/role player for our 3rd line.
Ok....I understand what both of these guys offer the team, but I dont want Asham and Lappy on the third line together, besides they are both best at RW. I think Powe/Carcillo would be perfect playing with two veterans like Malhotra and Lappy....Keep Asham on the 4th with whoever...

I would be perfectly happy with

Gagne Richards Giroux
Hartnell Carter Briere
Powe Malhotra Lappy
Carcillo ?????? Asham

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:04 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Ok....I understand what both of these guys offer the team, but I dont want Asham and Lappy on the third line together, besides they are both best at RW. I think Powe/Carcillo would be perfect playing with two veterans like Malhotra and Lappy....Keep Asham on the 4th with whoever...

I would be perfectly happy with

Gagne Richards Giroux
Hartnell Carter Briere
Powe Malhotra Lappy
Carcillo ?????? Asham
I can't disagree there. For sure, I'd have Lappy and Malhotra on the third line, I just put Asham as the other winger because I like him the most as a complete player, and prefer his size to Powe. I wouldn't be opposed to Powe there either. I'm a big fan of Powe.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I can't disagree there. For sure, I'd have Lappy and Malhotra on the third line, I just put Asham as the other winger because I like him the most as a complete player, and prefer his size to Powe. I wouldn't be opposed to Powe there either. I'm a big fan of Powe.
I like the speed Powe would add to that line.....Of course, we are all assuming Malhotra....Powe could end up being the center on that line....although I hope not.

Old
07-02-2009, 10:02 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I like the speed Powe would add to that line.....Of course, we are all assuming Malhotra....Powe could end up being the center on that line....although I hope not.
I wouldn't say I'm assuming...I'm just hoping. I doubt we sign him.

Old
07-02-2009, 10:05 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I think he was named captain too early, however, he was the best option at the time.
There may have been better options. The criticism I heard repeatedly is that had a guy like Pronger been around, Richards would never have poopooed the team being called out by the General Manager.

Anyway, more adults will be better for the room, I think.

Old
07-02-2009, 10:47 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm assuming...I'm just hoping. I doubt we sign him.
I meant we are all assuming they are going after that type of player, not Malhotra specifically

Quote:
There may have been better options. The criticism I heard repeatedly is that had a guy like Pronger been around, Richards would never have poopooed the team being called out by the General Manager.

Anyway, more adults will be better for the room, I think.
My vote was Knuble, for the record....

Old
07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I've missed alot since i have been on my vacation to the Dominican Republic. Whoa we get Chris Pronger and Ian Laperriere.. WTF?

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:59 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Avs fan here. Congrats on Lappy.

He's a perfect fit for the Flyers. He meets the hardnose style that is Flyers hockey. You guys will absolutely love him. He fights, hits and blocks shots even if you are down 5-0. He also has immense leadership skills and does a great job of getting under players skin.

I am a Flyers fan after the Avs, so i couldnt have imagined a better place for him to go, congrats again.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyfan View Post
He meets the hardnose style that is Flyers hockey.
Strange thing to say about someone with this many broken noses.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:

O i agree. The leadership on this team is bad. Richards will be a great captain some day but as of now his leadership skills are overrated. He is young and still learning. He wasn't ready for it. You could tell by his comments when Jason Smith left and its was Richards turn to be captain.

Last edited by Alchemy: 07-02-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:15 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
O i agree. The leadership on this team is bad. Richards will be a great captain right now but as of now his leadership skills are overrated. He is young and still learning. He wasn't ready for it. You could tell by his comments when Jason Smith left and its was Richards turn to be captain.
I think the Flyers, like many here, wanted to bring to reality the immensely premature proclamation that he is captain material.

Whatever the case, he'll likely improve in that area like all young players improve in various aspects of the game.

Old
07-02-2009, 11:36 AM
DrHamburg

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren points out that Ian Laperriere will add something that he said should rub off on Jeff Carter and Mike Richards.

Namely, winning faceoff draws and taking them very seriously:

“Ian provides us with another option on faceoffs,” Holmgren said. “He’s a good faceoff guy mostly because he hates to lose. He’ll do whatever it takes to win. A lot of times, that is what faceoffs come down to.”

Laperriere told me that he really dislikes losing and won't tolerate not taking losses seriously. I do like that because too many Flyers seem to take losses as, "there's always tomorrow."

Laperriere:“It was a tough year for me last year and tough for the team,” Laperriere said on his cell phone. “Going through the year we had. I’m sure looking for a change in Philly. I don’t take losses easily. I’m sure a bunch of those guys don’t either.”

I like this.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren points out that Ian Laperriere will add something that he said should rub off on Jeff Carter and Mike Richards.

Namely, winning faceoff draws and taking them very seriously:

“Ian provides us with another option on faceoffs,” Holmgren said. “He’s a good faceoff guy mostly because he hates to lose. He’ll do whatever it takes to win. A lot of times, that is what faceoffs come down to.”

Laperriere told me that he really dislikes losing and won't tolerate not taking losses seriously. I do like that because too many Flyers seem to take losses as, "there's always tomorrow."

Laperriere:“It was a tough year for me last year and tough for the team,” Laperriere said on his cell phone. “Going through the year we had. I’m sure looking for a change in Philly. I don’t take losses easily. I’m sure a bunch of those guys don’t either.”

I like this.
You shouldn't like it as he sucks at taking draws, just like the rest of our team.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
DrHamburg

I have changed my mind. I dislike the faceoff. The rest is good though.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote