HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Ian Laperriere 3 years $1.167M per

Old
07-01-2009, 09:38 PM
blah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I'd say a veteran who can take PK time from players who are expected to be our leading scorers was a position of need too.
Pahlsson was the league leader among forwards...

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:40 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Pahlsson was the league leader among forwards...
And I would've loved him. I just don't think he is the same as LaPerriere. We needed both a wing and a center for the third line. At least we got one of those.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Conference call transcript:

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/flyers/
Q: Danny Briere says what you do doesnít always come up on the scoresheet. What you bring offensively?

IL: Do I come in offensively? (laughs) I donít know. Iím not known as a goal scorer. Iíve had one year that kind of fooled everybody, I scored 20. I come to work every night and I do the little thingsÖ I block shots, Iíll get into the fight when itís the right time. Thatís how I made a career and thatís how I still play today. I wonít score goals like Danny does and do stuff like that, but Iíll tell you one thing. Iíll be there for Danny when heís in trouble. Thatís for sure. They know that, and thatís the kind of guy I am, I guess.

Now it makes sense why they signed him (Carcillo):sar casm:

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Q: Danny Briere says what you do doesnít always come up on the scoresheet. What you bring offensively?

IL: Do I come in offensively? (laughs) I donít know. Iím not known as a goal scorer. Iíve had one year that kind of fooled everybody, I scored 20. I come to work every night and I do the little thingsÖ I block shots, Iíll get into the fight when itís the right time. Thatís how I made a career and thatís how I still play today. I wonít score goals like Danny does and do stuff like that, but Iíll tell you one thing. Iíll be there for Danny when heís in trouble. Thatís for sure. They know that, and thatís the kind of guy I am, I guess.
Badass quote....that's why i always liked this guy...great team guy...all the people complaining about his signing clearly have no idea how to build a hockey team. you absolutely need guys like this(a few of them), you cant have 12 goal scorers and 6 puck moving defensemen. It takes role players to win championships and lappy will be an awesome addition the our club

love it! GO FLYERS!

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
wow Lappy put up 140 points in the Q one year

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Pronger D PHI View Post
Badass quote....that's why i always liked this guy...great team guy...all the people complaining about his signing clearly have no idea how to build a hockey team. you absolutely need guys like this(a few of them), you cant have 12 goal scorers and 6 puck moving defensemen. It takes role players to win championships and lappy will be an awesome addition the our club

love it! GO FLYERS!
You also need guys who can win faceoffs. Yes you do need guys like that, but not 4 of them. Like others said though, hopefully Cote is on his way out.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:25 PM
blah

Quote:
And I would've loved him. I just don't think he is the same as LaPerriere. We needed both a wing and a center for the third line. At least we got one of those.
They're not the same. That's my point. Pahlsson is significantly better, and would have done a lot more for the Flyers next season. Nothing against Lappy, but they didn't get the guy they needed. On top of that, they have similar players to Lappy already on the roster.
--
Madden 1 year 2.75 mil. Egh.

Last edited by blah: 07-01-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old
07-01-2009, 10:29 PM
HoverCarle*

I'm still hoping for Malhotra

Old
07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
blah

I am too.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
With what money left? (we still need a 7th defensemen)

EDIT: I didnt know he was black... him and Emery in the locker room would be hilarious (this is not a racist joke btw...)

EDIT2: Wait.. maybe Im wrong...

EDIT3: He is just really tan

Old
07-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
ďIan provides us with another option on faceoffs,Ē Holmgren said. ďHeís a good faceoff guy mostly because he hates to lose. Heíll do whatever it takes to win. A lot of times, that is what faceoffs come down to.Ē
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...Others/2/21920

43.95%
45.39%
46.79%
45.90%

Those are his FO% the last four seasons...If you want to sign a guy that's great Homer, but don't feed me bull**** about him being good at something he's not good at.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
With what money left? (we still need a 7th defensemen)

EDIT: I didnt know he was black... him and Emery in the locker room would be hilarious (this is not a racist joke btw...)
We have a TON of money left if Homer grows a set and does something about his third pairing.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:39 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

43.95%
45.39%
46.79%
45.90%

Those are his FO% the last four seasons...If you want to sign a guy that's great Homer, but don't feed me bull**** about him being good at something he's not good at.
to be fair, relative to the guys we have, that's not that terrible.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

43.95%
45.39%
46.79%
45.90%

I... find that is hilarious actually...

Old
07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
to be fair, relative to the guys we have, that's not that terrible.
Well, if our suckitude is the bar...

Old
07-01-2009, 10:43 PM
blah

Winning faceoffs comes down to being good at winning faceoffs. And they still don't have a single player on the roster that you can say that about.

Agreed on the third pairing. Do something with Carle and Jones, and then worry about the 7th. They both have value to rebuilding teams.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Well he's a winger, so 45% isnt bad. At least its better when our centres get kicked out.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:47 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
just saying...

Old
07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Me three!!

Quote:
We have a TON of money left if Homer grows a set and does something about his third pairing.
Agreed. That is what, $6 million between the two of them.

Quote:
Very true....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Pronger D PHI View Post

love it! GO FLYERS!
Do you realize that our 3rd and 4th lines presently consist of players who took 32.5 minutes in penalties for each goal they scored last year?

Yes, you need role players, but you generally want ones that can contribute in more than a single area. Having 4 players who struggle to score and also find their way to the penalty box with alarming frequency isn't a recipe for success for the most heavily penalized team in the NHL.

In the 3rd period of a game when the Flyers have a one-goal lead, are you going to feel comfortable rolling out a 3rd line that will be near the top of the league in PIMs, even if they are solid defensively? Not to mention the fact that Carter and Richards seemed worn out last year. This year they will have to carry even more of the load w/ no offensive production to speak of coming from the bottom 2 lines and the added penalty killing burden of having signed another player who racks up PIMs plus having Carcillo here for the entire season.

#31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

EDIT2: Wait.. maybe Im wrong...

EDIT3: He is just really tan
Manny Malhotra is of South Asian and French Canadian descent - and he's married to Steve Nash's sister. Who knew?

http://www.mississauga.com/sports/ar...by-high-school

Malhotra, whose father is Indian and mother French Canadian, spoke of dealing with racism early in his minor hockey career.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by #31 View Post
Do you realize that our 3rd and 4th lines presently consist of players who took 32.5 minutes in penalties for each goal they scored last year?

Yes, you need role players, but you generally want ones that can contribute in more than a single area. Having 4 players who struggle to score and also find their way to the penalty box with alarming frequency isn't a recipe for success for the most heavily penalized team in the NHL.

In the 3rd period of a game when the Flyers have a one-goal lead, are you going to feel comfortable rolling out a 3rd line that will be near the top of the league in PIMs, even if they are solid defensively? Not to mention the fact that Carter and Richards seemed worn out last year. This year they will have to carry even more of the load w/ no offensive production to speak of coming from the bottom 2 lines and the added penalty killing burden of having signed another player who racks up PIMs plus having Carcillo here for the entire season.
Very good post, I couldnt agree more....Which is my only concern with the Lappy signing unless he is replacing Carcillo or Asham. We need skilled bottom 6 guys that can kill penalties and even if not scoring a whole hell of a lot, at least give the top 6 guys a rest.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Manny Malhotra is of South Asian and French Canadian descent - and he's married to Steve Nash's sister. Who knew?

http://www.mississauga.com/sports/ar...by-high-school

Malhotra, whose father is Indian and mother French Canadian, spoke of dealing with racism early in his minor hockey career.
I dont care if he is Klingon....Get him signed already

Old
07-01-2009, 10:53 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont care if he is Klingon....Get him signed already
I'm no racist. But I want no part of Klingons.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Lunachicken

Send a message via MSN to Lunachicken
Av's fan here. You guys are going to love lappy. I'm a tad bit upset the Av's didn't make more of an effort to keep him. I seriously doubt many if any people on your team (and probably very few in the league) care as much as he does.

Good luck Lappy, I'll enjoy watchin you from afar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Very good post, I couldnt agree more....Which is my only concern with the Lappy signing unless he is replacing Carcillo or Asham. We need skilled bottom 6 guys that can kill penalties and even if not scoring a whole hell of a lot, at least give the top 6 guys a rest.
Lappy will do just that.

Lunachicken is offline   Reply With Quote