Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild Free Agent talk 2009

Old
07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Karl

vCash: 500
Wild Free Agent talk 2009

So since the Gaborik era is now over who do we get? Or are we in rebuilding mode?

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Karl

Russo's Twitter and TSN say that the Wild have signed defenseman Greg Zanon to a three year deal.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
TeamSeals

With all the big time scorers locked up its time the Wild sign Havlat to a sensible deal. I know that is asking for a lot but we need him without digging ourselves in a hole. Zanon sounds like a great signing though so that makes me happy.

TeamSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Russo's Twitter and TSN say that the Wild have signed defenseman Greg Zanon to a three year deal.
Looks like we now have a replacement for Marc-Andre Bergeron.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:09 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
Russo says that were close to signing Havlat and that were talking to Saku Koivu

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wildblog/

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Jbcraig1883

I am actually in the minority am just fine with what has transpired today. I do believe Zanon is just as good as Scuderi. I don't think we "need" to get Havlat just for the sake of doing it. Championship teams are not built on free agency...free agency generally helps those teams that make playoff teams into contenders.

In all honesty, I think we would be lying to ourselves to say that we should be perennial playoff contenders these next two years. I know, I know, rebuild...drink more kool-aid, etc.

I don't think it is drinking kool-aid when you look at the facts.

We have no "elite" player. Havlat is not an "elite" player. We have no depth. We don't have a potentially franchise prospect. Rolston/Demitra/Gaborik leaving for free agency without getting anything in return, with the addition of trading away 2nd/3rd rounds picks has left us with no assets to make trades for game breaking players.

Also, the cap is projected to go down next year. We aren't contending so why go out and spend to the cap when it will just put us in a bind next year? I am not saying don't go spend money...but don't go spend money just for the sake of it.

It is day 1 of UFA. I will give Fletcher and Co. the time they deserve to shake the roster up and see what the coaching staff can do. I do believe that Fletcher knows the business side far more than we can ever know and will be able to make some deals with teams that are in cap trouble come October.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Looks like Havlat does have a verbal agreement with the Wild with the paperwork yet to be signed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283486

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Outlandish

I really hope it's not a long term deal; the guy is as injury prone as Gaborik was. It just happens that he finally plays 81 games in his contract year? I doubt it's coincidence. Even healthy I don't think he's near enough to make this team Cup-competitive, and I doubt he'll be healthy.

I suppose we have to spend the money to keep the fanbase happy and the sellouts rolling in, but I'd rather lose badly for a year or two and get some high-end young talent in here. Hopefully we can try and make a real run for the Cup 3-5 years down the road; I'm not at all satisfied with making the playoffs but never having a realistic shot at winning it all. Cup or bust, mediocrity stinks.

Outlandish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:46 PM
WILDTATE10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
I really hope it's not a long term deal; the guy is as injury prone as Gaborik was. It just happens that he finally plays 81 games in his contract year? I doubt it's coincidence. Even healthy I don't think he's near enough to make this team Cup-competitive, and I doubt he'll be healthy.

I suppose we have to spend the money to keep the fanbase happy and the sellouts rolling in, but I'd rather lose badly for a year or two and get some high-end young talent in here. Hopefully we can try and make a real run for the Cup 3-5 years down the road; I'm not at all satisfied with making the playoffs but never having a realistic shot at winning it all. Cup or bust, mediocrity stinks.
even so we would have loved to have Gaborik back. so Havlats probly the next best thing.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
WILDTATE10

man if its 6 years at 5 mill per year thats a GREAT deal

Old
07-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Outlandish

Well, it's a nice price, but longer than I'd like. I hope he proves me wrong and stays nice and healthy.

I don't expect he'll be putting up the kind of near-ppg numbers he did in Chicago though; he won't be playing on the 2nd or 3rd line, he'll draw the top defenders all the time, and his linemates when he does play on the first line are not toews and kane.

Outlandish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
TeamSeals

Definitely a little leery of the length of the deal and Havlat's health but he is a much better two way player than Gaborik at a reasonable price so overall I am happy with Havlat's deal (unless he never plays due to injury, then it will suck). So far I give Fletcher 2 thumbs up for his work in the draft and the first day of free agency. The Wild seem to be a much better overall team from a week ago.

Old
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Zanon, Koivu and Havlat would be a nice little off-season for the Wild.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Congrats on signing Shane Hnidy (also known as the "Sheriff"). He's a great 6-7th D man.

Shane sticks up for his fellow players and was well liked here in Boston.

I am a STH who sits right next to the B's bench and would wear my sheriff's badge to the games

For the ladies...he may be missing a tooth...but he has pretty eyes

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
Well, it's a nice price, but longer than I'd like. I hope he proves me wrong and stays nice and healthy.

I don't expect he'll be putting up the kind of near-ppg numbers he did in Chicago though; he won't be playing on the 2nd or 3rd line, he'll draw the top defenders all the time, and his linemates when he does play on the first line are not toews and kane.
Marty was almost a PPG player playing with Bolland & Ladd, and almost never played with JT & PK at even strength, only a rare shifts after Bolland was PK'ing.

Marty is a flipping stud. I wish the Hawks had been able to keep him, but the injury issue precluded giving him a "lifetime" deal like Hossa got. If he can stay healthy for you guys, he will be fan favorite.

And even though the deal is long at 6 years, he should be in his prime for pretty much the entire contract. Much like MG though - the real issue will be staying healthy.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Congrats on signing Shane Hnidy (also known as the "Sheriff"). He's a great 6-7th D man.

Shane sticks up for his fellow players and was well liked here in Boston.

I am a STH who sits right next to the B's bench and would wear my sheriff's badge to the games

For the ladies...he may be missing a tooth...but he has pretty eyes
Another B's fan here, echoing what Ladyfan had to say. We're going to miss Shane. He's not an all star by any means but a good, tough stay at home guy who will step in to protect anyone.

He was well liked in Boston.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Another B's fan here, echoing what Ladyfan had to say. We're going to miss Shane. He's not an all star by any means but a good, tough stay at home guy who will step in to protect anyone.

He was well liked in Boston.
That's exactly what we need. We haven't had that since... hell, I dunno... Sean O'Donnell, I guess. A good, old-fashioned crease cop. You can't go wrong with an ex-Bruin who was regarded as a tough player by Boston standards, can you?

I think he's going to be very well-liked here, too. We promise to take good care of him for you guys!

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:53 PM
TeamSeals

I like the Hnidy signing, especially if that means we can stop playing Boogaard and actually use his spot for someone with some talent. It's nice to have a balance in our defensive core with mobile puck movers (Johnsson, Zidlicky, Burns and Schultz) with stay at home defensive defensemen (Hnidy, Zanon and Scott).

Old
07-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
That's exactly what we need. We haven't had that since... hell, I dunno... Sean O'Donnell, I guess. A good, old-fashioned crease cop. You can't go wrong with an ex-Bruin who was regarded as a tough player by Boston standards, can you?

I think he's going to be very well-liked here, too. We promise to take good care of him for you guys!

Good to know....Just pick up a cheap "sheriff's" badge and make sure Shane sees you wearing it. ...You will get a smile.

There is a thread (on the B's board) about Shane and you will find most fans would have liked to see Shane on the B's for another year.

I go to most home games and can tell you the Bruins fans appreciated what Hnidy brought to the game.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
[/B]

Good to know....Just pick up a cheap "sheriff's" badge and make sure Shane sees you wearing it. ...You will get a smile.

There is a thread (on the B's board) about Shane and you will find most fans would have liked to see Shane on the B's for another year.

I go to most home games and can tell you the Bruins fans appreciated what Hnidy brought to the game.
Thank you very much for the testimonial - like I said, if Boston fans consider him a tough, old-school defenseman, that's all I need to know. I promise you, after 9 years of mostly finesse-style D-men, Minnesota fans are going to love this guy. I think your boy is going to be very well-received here!

Old
07-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals View Post
I like the Hnidy signing, especially if that means we can stop playing Boogaard and actually use his spot for someone with some talent. It's nice to have a balance in our defensive core with mobile puck movers (Johnsson, Zidlicky, Burns and Schultz) with stay at home defensive defensemen (Hnidy, Zanon and Scott).
How will signing a defenseman affect Boogaard's playing time since Boogey is a forward?

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Wild Thing

There are a lot of nights when they skate Boogey just because he's the only guy who can police the ice. If they're playing Hnidy that night, they can pressbox Boogard and use his spot for another forward.

Old
07-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Jbcraig1883

I like these UFA signings.

The D will definitely be paired one offensive guy with one stay at home guy; it will be really nice to see after watching the previous regime.

I am guesing that the initial pairings will be (and I wonder what Schultz will feel like actually having time to have some chemistry with a D partner?!? Although, I suppose he did play with Mitchell quite exclusively...):

Schultz Burns
Johnsson Hnidy
Zidlicky Zanon
Scott/Stoner

I would bump Zanon up but he played with Zidlicky so they know each other well...it will be weird seeing all those right-handed defensemen back there!! It will also be quite nice to see some face-washing going on!!

I know that it will take awhile for everyone, the fans, the players, etc., to get used to seeing a D-man down low and watching a lot more odd man rushes against us, but, I think we will see just how talented Burns is. I still feel that Schultz has some offensive skills we have never seen--he showed some hockey sense as a rookie that seemed to be cut off as we all know mistakes were frowned upon. But, don't get me wrong, his positioning and stick work would probably not be as good as they are today without Lemaire and Co. So, point is, I think Schultz can be a 20-30 point guy versus a 15 point guy.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 06:23 AM
nmbr_24

Another Bruins fan, congrats on signing Hnidy. He is exactly what a #6-7 defenseman should be, he always gives his best effort and while he is by no means a great defenseman, he is a great role player to have on your team. And he is one tough SOB.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
TeamSeals

Some semi free agent related news, Russo threw up a new blog today and once again Fletcher has stated that he isn't really interested in the remaining free agents and will likely look at the trade market which should keep getting better and better as teams like Ottawa, San Jose and Chicago have cap issues and may need to unload some players for below there market. The team that is clearly the most interesting is Chicago with all the young talent they might have to move. Sharpe is clearly the best of the group and someone who would look great on the Wild somewhere on the top 2 lines but he will be pretty expensive even if they ship him out for below market value. I am more intrigued by Byfuglien for a couple of reasons. He is from Minnesota (or at least that's what his bio says) and he can be a PR boom in that regard to shut up the fans that really want a local boy and can't wait for Leddy. More importantly he is a huge person who seems like he is cut from the same clothe as what the Ducks love in their players and Fletcher has plenty of experience working with the Ducks and having players of that size on his roster. I also love the fact that he is physical and can play with Clutterbuck and have a bash brothers line type thing going. Plus Byfuglien can throw down a little and at the very least is willing to fight to stick up for teammates so he can replace Boogaard as our enforcer (along with Hnidy) so we can send him packing for someone who can do more than one thing on the ice.