HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joel Ward resigned 2 years 1.5M ea

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
  #1
cjerina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Joel Ward resigned 2 years 1.5M ea

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11850

Glad to see him back.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
  #2
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
Joel Ward re-signed

http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=433019

2 years, 1.5 per according to TSN

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:27 PM
  #3
DManPreds11
Registered User
 
DManPreds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Yeah thrilled to have his 35 pt production playing on our top two lines for most of the season, back again, getting paid more money.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:32 PM
  #4
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,155
vCash: 500
Ouch, that's a hit.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
  #5
Webersmashpuck
Registered User
 
Webersmashpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spring Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Eh if he does what he did last year it is work it, not a bad price at all, but the fact he could falter is a bit scary. Though it is almost just as likely as Ward gets better and pots over 20 goals.

Not a bad signing at all, just not a value signing.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
  #6
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Eh if he does what he did last year it is work it, not a bad price at all, but the fact he could falter is a bit scary. Though it is almost just as likely as Ward gets better and pots over 20 goals.
Much of it depends on ice time. Will he get top6 minutes and PP time? Or will he be 3rd line?

Are Poile/Trtoz OK with giving Ward top 6 minutes, or is it just because of lack of options?

OK signing, given the limited world we live in as Predator fans.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
  #7
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,155
vCash: 500
Over priced slightly but fills a need.

Places the team at a cap hit of 36.8 million 4 million under the cap, 12 million under the mid point.

Needs:

2 top 6 wings
3rd line center
4th line center
2 defensemen

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
  #8
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Over priced slightly but fills a need.

Places the team at a cap hit of 36.8 million 4 million under the cap, 12 million under the mid point.

Needs:

2 top 6 wings
3rd line center
4th line center
2 defensemen
realistically, we may get one of those things. the rest will be filled from within.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
  #9
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Over priced slightly but fills a need.

Places the team at a cap hit of 36.8 million 4 million under the cap, 12 million under the mid point.

Needs:

2 top 6 wings
3rd line center
4th line center
2 defensemen
3rd line center is O'Reilly with Wilson starting in Milwaukee and looking to move up to Nashville by season's end.

4th line center is Smithson. Put Tootoo on his right and Pihlstrom or Belak on the other flank.

2 veteran defensemen shouldn't cost us more than $2-$2.5 mil per.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
  #10
DManPreds11
Registered User
 
DManPreds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Let's get Skrastins back in a Preds uniform, he's a huge upgrade to Zanon. He blocks shots without taking himself out of position, great 5 on 5. If we get him back I'd take back every negative thing said about Poile, well not every but most, lol.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:06 PM
  #11
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
3rd line center is O'Reilly with Wilson starting in Milwaukee and looking to move up to Nashville by season's end.

4th line center is Smithson. Put Tootoo on his right and Pihlstrom or Belak on the other flank.

2 veteran defensemen shouldn't cost us more than $2-$2.5 mil per.
I think Smithson is going to be bench depth. 4th line center could also be Spaling

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:08 PM
  #12
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Let's get Skrastins back in a Preds uniform, he's a huge upgrade to Zanon. He blocks shots without taking himself out of position, great 5 on 5. If we get him back I'd take back every negative thing said about Poile, well not every but most, lol.
that all may have been true in 2003, but not so much anymore. Having seen Skrastins in both Colorado and Florida, he's simply not very good anymore.

I think we realistically need to sign one d-man. Blum\Sulzer\Franson can probably play the last spot.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:08 PM
  #13
Webersmashpuck
Registered User
 
Webersmashpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spring Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Im actually wondering if a team offered Ward 1.5 and he came back to Poile and informed him he found the offer, or Poile budged and got it done in order not to lose him due to another GM offering something high.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 05:57 PM
  #14
DManPreds11
Registered User
 
DManPreds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
that all may have been true in 2003, but not so much anymore. Having seen Skrastins in both Colorado and Florida, he's simply not very good anymore.
You obviously didn't watch many Panthers games last season to come up with that ridiculous assessment, ask any Panther fan and they'd love to have him back on their squad for the next couple of seasons. Not to say he hasn't lost some but he's better than Zanon or deVires combined.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
  #15
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,758
vCash: 500
No, he's not. Sorry.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:28 PM
  #16
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
3rd line center is O'Reilly with Wilson starting in Milwaukee and looking to move up to Nashville by season's end.

4th line center is Smithson. Put Tootoo on his right and Pihlstrom or Belak on the other flank.

2 veteran defensemen shouldn't cost us more than $2-$2.5 mil per.
If put O'Reilly up on the big team this year, I hope we don't make some abomination of a third line, which doesn't know if it is a scoring line, defensive line, etc. That has always been a problem of mine. Granted some Milwaukee fans can fill in better on this, but I see O'Reilly struggling on a half-arsed line of no offense hockey.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:32 PM
  #17
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
If put O'Reilly up on the big team this year, I hope we don't make some abomination of a third line, which doesn't know if it is a scoring line, defensive line, etc. That has always been a problem of mine. Granted some Milwaukee fans can fill in better on this, but I see O'Reilly struggling on a half-arsed line of no offense hockey.
I'm looking at:

Dumont - Arnott - Sullivan
Erat - Legwand - FA
Ward - O'Reilly - Jones
Pihlstrom - Smithson - Tootoo

I truly believe that we will sign one more winger to compete for a top-six spot and spend around $2-2.5 mil on our bottom two defenseman to fill out the roster.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
  #18
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm looking at:

Dumont - Arnott - Sullivan
Erat - Legwand - FA
Ward - O'Reilly - Jones
Pihlstrom - Smithson - Tootoo

I truly believe that we will sign one more winger to compete for a top-six spot and spend around $2-2.5 mil on our bottom two defenseman to fill out the roster.
I like that lineup actually.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
  #19
DManPreds11
Registered User
 
DManPreds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I like that lineup actually.
Yeah in my perfect world I'd like to see that FA=Havlat/Gaborik/Kovalev. Gionta/Kotalik would make me happy there, and that's a realistic chance.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
  #20
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Yeah in my perfect world I'd like to see that FA=Havlat/Gaborik/Kovalev. Gionta/Kotalik would make me happy there, and that's a realistic chance.
With that lineup, we'd have what, around $5-6 million left for another forward and veteran defenseman?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 07:57 PM
  #21
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
With that lineup, we'd have what, around $5-6 million left for another forward and veteran defenseman?
Winger and two defensemen...one of whom should be making less than 700k and the other not much over $1 million. I KNOW that Freeman gives Poile a budget for salary, but as he has said repeatedly, if Poile can justify an expense, it is fair game. $1 million extra in salary that could put us in a playoff position equals $4 million in revenue per round.

I think we are looking at one more top-six winger for around $3.5-$4 million - Gionta is my guess, but could also see a guy like Kotalik or Samuelsson from Detroit getting signed for that spot without increasing our internal cap too.

Something people must remember is that we offer top-six minutes on a line with Legwand and Erat. Those guys aren't going to blow anyone's socks off, but they are legitimate top-six forwards who have great chemistry between them and have shown the ability to consistently elevate the game of those around them.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
  #22
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Poile needs to be in negotiations with Hamhuis, NOW!

If it's not going to happen, we need to trade him. Simple as that.
Rinne is the No. 1 extension target this summer...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
  #23
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I KNOW that Freeman gives Poile a budget for salary, but as he has said repeatedly, if Poile can justify an expense, it is fair game. $1 million extra in salary that could put us in a playoff position equals $4 million in revenue per round.
I guess it depends on how well renewals are going. Judging from the number of people saying they aren't renewing on the NP.com boards alone, it doesn't look good to me. And this year is likely to be the year that the recession really has an affect on ticket sales since alot of people renewed before the crap really hit the fan. But hopefully they are going well and I'm wrong.

What is the mid point next year?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
  #24
DManPreds11
Registered User
 
DManPreds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
I like Kotalik more because he doesn't know how to pass, all that dude does is shoot the puck of course that's an exaggeration on him not passing but it's not with him shooting the puck. We need somebody that's going to shoot, we have enough that like to pass. I like Dumont/Arnott/Sullivan Erat/Legwand/Kotalik, now that would be a good top six tandem.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 06:26 AM
  #25
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 500
A little higher than I'd like, but a fair contract. Glad to see him back.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.