Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars need puck moving defenceman !

Old
07-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Personally I think getting MAB just makes Hutchinson look really redundant, and I got a feeling Hutchinson is cheaper.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 09:53 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

If there's an injury to one of the 3 defensemen, IV would be the logical replacement on the PP. If there's an injury to Richards... I hope it's not a long one and we manage to score a lot of even strength goals.

Last edited by hairylikebear: 07-04-2009 at 10:03 PM.
hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 04:50 PM
STL fan in IA

What do you guys think the chances are of Zubov re-signing in Dallas? He seems like an intriguing sign for a lot of teams out there. Where is he at with his hip rehab?

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:24 PM
zombiekopitor
i am lorde, ya ya ya

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
And teams can win cups without a top notch defense. See Carolina and Tampa, and to a lesser extent Pittsburgh (because of Gonchar) this year.
Dude wtf are you talking about. Tampa had an excelent d line up, lets see Boyle, Kubina and Sydor(you should at least remember him), hmmm 3 puck moving dmen. Carolina is the only exception, The Pens d line up was rock solid too.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
What do you guys think the chances are of Zubov re-signing in Dallas? He seems like an intriguing sign for a lot of teams out there.
High.

Quote:
Where is he at with his hip rehab?
Good question.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:51 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
Dude wtf are you talking about. Tampa had an excelent d line up, lets see Boyle, Kubina and Sydor(you should at least remember him), hmmm 3 puck moving dmen.
You conveniently omit Cullimore, Lukowich, Sarich, and Pratt. Boyle wasn't the player he is today, Sydor actually managed to be a minus player during Tampa's Cup run, and Kubina has never been anything particularly special.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
Dude wtf are you talking about. Tampa had an excelent d line up, lets see Boyle, Kubina and Sydor(you should at least remember him), hmmm 3 puck moving dmen. Carolina is the only exception, The Pens d line up was rock solid too.
Solid and top-notch are not the same thing last time I checked. I consider Gonchar a No. 1, but you can debate whether he was playing at 100%. The rest of the Pens D is composed of good players, but no stars (though Letang may end up as one down the line).

Tampa's D did little in their playoff year. In the regular season, Boyle didn't crack 40 points, and Kubina had a lot of goals but only 35 points. In the playoffs, the three you mentioned combined for 20 points and only two goals. Khabibulin and Tampa's stacked offense carried them to that cup.

Bottom line is that the defense has to be solid, but not spectacular. A great run by a goalie and potent offense can make up for a lack of a true top pair.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
zombiekopitor
i am lorde, ya ya ya

I didnt omit them I was just pointing out they're puck moving guys, honestly thats a very respictable top 6, Luko and Cullimore are stellar stay at home Dmen, and its obvious cause they won the cup. You cant say the D had nothing to do with their win, that is craaazy, the breakout made that team and Boyle was SOLID during that cup run, he still had the same talent he has today and was a bit faster he just doesnt have the experience he has now...which comes with winning the cup.
Yes Ill agree a D lineup doesnt have to be top notch to win a cup, just rock solid, it is almost impossibe to create a top notch d lineup, the Devils with Neids Rafalski and Stevens did it, the 06 Ducks and 07Wings for sure had it. Carolina will still always be the outlier of a team that was seriously below D standards and not even "solid"

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 09:07 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
High.
Dang. He'd look good in a Blues jersey but if he re-signs with the Stars so be it. He fits in well there too. Thanks for answering my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Good question.
Anyone else know of any progress on Zubov's hip?

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Haven't heard anything, which is probably a bad sign.

I'm assuming he isn't coming back, that way if he does it'll be more exciting, while if he doesn't I'll have expected it.

07-06-2009, 12:10 AM
ThorntonFan19

SJ Trade Proposal

Recently I checked this board and found that with Zubov possibly retiring a puck moving defenseman is an area of need. With the sharks giving Huskins a big contract it looks like there will be a defenseman on the current team left to trade. Ehrhoff is probably a candidate depending on what is offered. Also if you don't want him because your play by play guy was ripping on him for his +/- stats, well nobody really knows why he did that terrible in that area but he certainly was our #3 guy this past year (some argue #2, though i don't understand why), led the team in TOI in the playoffs, was very good on the PK and of course was great offensively with 42 points in 77 games tied for 23rd in Dman points. Ok now I bet you salivating on him so lets get to the proposal.

To SJ: Eriksson, 1st
To DAL: Ehrhoff

If not feel free to counter offer.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Recently I checked this board and found that with Zubov possibly retiring a puck moving defenseman is an area of need. With the sharks giving Huskins a big contract it looks like there will be a defenseman on the current team left to trade. Ehrhoff is probably a candidate depending on what is offered. Also if you don't want him because your play by play guy was ripping on him for his +/- stats, well nobody really knows why he did that terrible in that area but he certainly was our #3 guy this past year (some argue #2, though i don't understand why), led the team in TOI in the playoffs, was very good on the PK and of course was great offensively with 42 points in 77 games tied for 23rd in Dman points. Ok now I bet you salivating on him so lets get to the proposal.

Horrible. I might overrate Eriksson, but I believe he is Lehtinen-eske and will win a Selke in his future. Plus, I doubt the Stars would do a trade this major with their division foe.

EDIT: Plus+plus, the Stars are short as it is on RW, which Eriksson plays even though he's a left shot.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Dang. He'd look good in a Blues jersey but if he re-signs with the Stars so be it. He fits in well there too. Thanks for answering my question.
Zubov might sign with another team. I just have my doubts and fully expect him back. If he's healthy, he's still a great player and all 30 NHL teams should be interested in his services. Again, only if he proves healthy.
Quote:
Anyone else know of any progress on Zubov's hip?
He's been skating as far back as April, maybe March, or at least on the ice, but the surgery he went under isn't elementary. I'd be surprised to see him playing in a game before November, but very little has been updated through the team or the local newspaper, hence the "good question" remark.

Old
07-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:32 AM
mattTHERIPPERsanchez
#areyouseriousbro

Send a message via AIM to mattTHERIPPERsanchez
Quote:

mattTHERIPPERsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
catters078

from NHL.com the top remaining free agent defensman

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

Mathieu Schneider Montreal 9-23-32 in 67 GP Even at 40 Schneider remains a useful offensive force on the blue line, especially on the power play.

Sergei Zubov Dallas 0-4-4 in 10 GP Now 38 and coming off two injury-filled seasons, but his smarts alone would help a contender in a limited role if he's healthy.

Jay McKee St. Louis 1-7-8 in 69 GP At 31, he's hitting the market after being bought out by the Blues. He's still good in his own zone, but had trouble staying healthy in St. Louis.

Derek Morris NY Rangers 5-15-20 in 75 GP The 31-year-old is looking for a job after the poorest offensive season of his NHL career.

Paul Mara NY Rangers 5-16-21 in 79 GP The soon-to-be 30-year-old had a solid season and likely would provide excellent value at a good price.

Nick Boynton Florida 5-16-21 in 68 GP Wasn't tendered after a stormy season with the Panthers. The 30-year-old could be a good second- or third-pair player.

Dennis Seidenberg Carolina 5-25-30 in 70 GP The almost-28-year-old is coming off the best season of his career and showed he can play major minutes (22:19 average ice time in '08-09).

Marc-Andre Bergeron Minnesota 14-18-32 in 72 GP Big gun from the point, especially on the power play, but not nearly as good in his own zone.

Seidenberg is an interesting one, I think he is a good defenseman, yet hasnt seen much interest from many teams. Logs number 1 pairing ice time and is at an age which is probably his peak. (his +- is an issue)

IM going through our contingency process if Zubov doesnt resign...would anyone think he would be an adequate cheap option to be on out top D pairing?

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
from NHL.com the top remaining free agent defensman

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=433516&navid=DL|NHL|Home

Mathieu Schneider Montreal 9-23-32 in 67 GP Even at 40 Schneider remains a useful offensive force on the blue line, especially on the power play.

Sergei Zubov Dallas 0-4-4 in 10 GP Now 38 and coming off two injury-filled seasons, but his smarts alone would help a contender in a limited role if he's healthy.

Jay McKee St. Louis 1-7-8 in 69 GP At 31, he's hitting the market after being bought out by the Blues. He's still good in his own zone, but had trouble staying healthy in St. Louis.

Derek Morris NY Rangers 5-15-20 in 75 GP The 31-year-old is looking for a job after the poorest offensive season of his NHL career.

Paul Mara NY Rangers 5-16-21 in 79 GP The soon-to-be 30-year-old had a solid season and likely would provide excellent value at a good price.

Nick Boynton Florida 5-16-21 in 68 GP Wasn't tendered after a stormy season with the Panthers. The 30-year-old could be a good second- or third-pair player.

Dennis Seidenberg Carolina 5-25-30 in 70 GP The almost-28-year-old is coming off the best season of his career and showed he can play major minutes (22:19 average ice time in '08-09).

Marc-Andre Bergeron Minnesota 14-18-32 in 72 GP Big gun from the point, especially on the power play, but not nearly as good in his own zone.

Seidenberg is an interesting one, I think he is a good defenseman, yet hasnt seen much interest from many teams. Logs number 1 pairing ice time and is at an age which is probably his peak. (his +- is an issue)

IM going through our contingency process if Zubov doesnt resign...would anyone think he would be an adequate cheap option to be on out top D pairing?
Hunwick in Boston would be nice also

Old
07-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Hunwick in Boston would be nice also
Hunwick is RFA, so Dallas would likely have to trade to get him.. unless Boston lets him walk.

As for Seidenberg I know he had a really strong playoffs, so he might cost more then he is worth.. I wouldn't mind him, he's kind of in the same mold as Stephane Robidas except much harder hitting.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post

Top pairing, no, but he's a quality player who would be a good addition, pending salary and term naturally. In fact, I believe I mentioned him in this thread before (I'm too lazy to look it up), so I'm in favor of the Stars at least exploring the opportunity.

Morris is another good one and would provide a nice, hard shot from the right point on the PP. He's a solid defender and a hard hitter who didn't seem to fair too well in New York so his price tag might be down. Then again, for what Beauchimin (sp?) signed for, who knows.

Old
07-07-2009, 01:40 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:

Are you out of your mind?!!

San Jose would be the one putting a number one pick in this deal, IF the Stars were to even contemplate that trade. Which they wouldn't. They're looking to get better, not regress. Ehrhoff has never done it for me. He's an ok player, and definitely an NHL'er. I just don't want him on my team really. Not to mention that Eriksson is probably the Stars best all-around forward. I'm trying to count the ways to say "no thanks" to this deal, and there really aren't enough.

Here's a counter offer, not that I would personally even do this trade, but this is more what you should be looking for in return for Ehrhoff.

To Dal: Ehrhoff + 3rd round pick
To SJ: Sutherby + 2nd round pick

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:39 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
any interest in Matt Carle?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:43 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Not really. Instead of eating his $3+ million salary for a few years, I'd rather they see what Ivan Vishnevskiy or Philip Larsen can do in a year or so. If they have the same self imposed salary cap next year, and his contract prevented one of the forwards from being re-signed, I'd be very disappointed.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
If it would not cost us Benn,Neal,Glennie,Erkisson then i would not mind it but he may make to much for us to be interested.