HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Rants 2009 (Post Your Rants Here)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2009, 11:53 AM
  #1
tantrum4*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 500
Offseason Rants 2009 (Post Your Rants Here)

Take a look at what's going on in Edmonton. Some fan started a Facebook group to have MacT fired that is now 8,000 strong, and they are holding a rally outside the arena today! ha,ha...

anthony if you read this, this just shows again how little you know about hockey because about a month ago, you said we should fire Murray and hire a guy like MacT who is doing such a great job in Edmonton.....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...ctavish_rally/

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 12:12 PM
  #2
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Craig MacTavish than Terry Murray.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 12:19 PM
  #3
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
I'd rather have Craig MacTavish than Terry Murray.
You really wouldn't. MacT sucks.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
  #4
Hollywood
Registered User
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
All I know is that in a game that we absolutely needed to win. Murray started Frolov on the 4th line. Gave ivanans 3-4 mins more ice time than his average season long ice time and on top of that had another fighter in the lineup. This is inexcusable
At the same time, The Pens coach sat out their fighter.
His player selections at key times in key games is abysmal.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:13 PM
  #5
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
You really wouldn't. MacT sucks.
This.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:31 PM
  #6
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Murray is just a "bridge" coach to get the plays thinking about defense. He will be replaced next year after the first round exit.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:37 PM
  #7
tantrum4*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Murray is just a "bridge" coach to get the plays thinking about defense. He will be replaced next year after the first round exit.
a "bridge" coach? what does that even mean? why would a GM hire a coach to teach the team a new system, wait until they start playing well, then fire him and bring in a new coach with a whole new system to teach? Doesn't make sense to me. If he gets fired it will be because the team wasn't responding to his coaching, which is no different than why any other coach out there gets fired, and they aren't called "bridge" coaches.....

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:48 PM
  #8
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
a "bridge" coach? what does that even mean? why would a GM hire a coach to teach the team a new system, wait until they start playing well, then fire him and bring in a new coach with a whole new system to teach? Doesn't make sense to me. If he gets fired it will be because the team wasn't responding to his coaching, which is no different than why any other coach out there gets fired, and they aren't called "bridge" coaches.....
Why sign Blake, Calder, Handzus and trade for Gauthier and O'Donnell? To use them to teach the younger players and be replaced by better, younger players when they are no longer needed. No different with a coach.

I'm sure Lombardi feels that Murray is the right coach and he probably bet his job on it, but he is not the coach to take the Kings to the next level. I just don't see how the Kings offense will ever improve enough to be a serious cup contender with Murray behind the bench, unless he completely changes his system. The Kings are 28th in total offense. The Kings are also 26th in the league when leading after 2 periods.

Also, don't forget that Lombardi only fired Crawford because the mandate from ownership was to get younger and he felt he needed a teacher. Murray wasn't planned.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:49 PM
  #9
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
a "bridge" coach? what does that even mean? why would a GM hire a coach to teach the team a new system, wait until they start playing well, then fire him and bring in a new coach with a whole new system to teach? Doesn't make sense to me. If he gets fired it will be because the team wasn't responding to his coaching, which is no different than why any other coach out there gets fired, and they aren't called "bridge" coaches.....
It doesn't make sense because it is nonsense. Lombardi has never stated nor implied any such thing.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:53 PM
  #10
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
It doesn't make sense because it is nonsense. Lombardi has never stated nor implied any such thing.
Probably because of all of the flak he got for using the terms with players. Lombardi isn't going to say it to the media (or probably anyone) that his coach is just here to teach the players defense. Have you seen anything from Murray that suggests he will be here for 5+ seasons?

Crawford taught offense without defense and now Murray is teaching defense without offense. We need a coach that does both.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
  #11
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
You really wouldn't. MacT sucks.
Well, that's just like, your opinion man.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:05 PM
  #12
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,469
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Crawford taught offense without defense and now Murray is teaching defense without offense. We need a coach that does both.
And the way to bring in a great coach who can get his players to do both is to fire two coaches in four seasons.

Right.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:18 PM
  #13
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,784
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Murray is just a "bridge" coach to get the plays thinking about defense. He will be replaced next year after the first round exit.

Lombardi already used his "fire the coach, advance to GO!" card, and unless there is some special circumstance surrounding a specific coach becoming available with an end result that sees Murray taking a shift down bench and becoming an assistant coach, it ain't going to happen again.

his choice to hire Murray was effing massive and he better keep his fingers knotted in hopes the right decision was made going forward. right now, Terry has proven nothing 3rd level and resembles the other Murray in many respects... deft (or is it daft? ) and admirable, but surely not enough juice to fill that silver bowl.

time will tell whether or not his oft-suspect decision making is that of a task master (emphasis on the A**) or an acutely prescient idiot savant.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 03:31 PM
  #14
tantrum4*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Probably because of all of the flak he got for using the terms with players. Lombardi isn't going to say it to the media (or probably anyone) that his coach is just here to teach the players defense. Have you seen anything from Murray that suggests he will be here for 5+ seasons?

Crawford taught offense without defense and now Murray is teaching defense without offense. We need a coach that does both.
hmmmm. maybe you should look up Terry Murray's stats as a coach in 1997. That's right, when he coached the Flyers to the Stanley Cup finals.....so is it really his style of coaching that doesn't work? Or is it that our players are mostly under 25 and don't have any experience yet? Do you really think we're going to do anything special when our top forward is 21 years old, our top d-man is 19 and our top goalie is 23?

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 03:40 PM
  #15
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
hmmmm. maybe you should look up Terry Murray's stats as a coach in 1997. That's right, when he coached the Flyers to the Stanley Cup finals.....so is it really his style of coaching that doesn't work? Or is it that our players are mostly under 25 and don't have any experience yet? Do you really think we're going to do anything special when our top forward is 21 years old, our top d-man is 19 and our top goalie is 23?
The NHL was very different in 1997. Past success doesn't always equal future success.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:01 PM
  #16
deano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
hmmmm. maybe you should look up Terry Murray's stats as a coach in 1997. That's right, when he coached the Flyers to the Stanley Cup finals.....so is it really his style of coaching that doesn't work? Or is it that our players are mostly under 25 and don't have any experience yet? Do you really think we're going to do anything special when our top forward is 21 years old, our top d-man is 19 and our top goalie is 23?
Thank you for the sensibility. This is a young team at the end of a long season. They've played amazing hockey throughout the course of the year, but had the inconsistency of a young team. The only surprises that happened this year were surprisingly good things. The team played way above expectation for most of the year. Team defense improved, Doughty, Simmonds, Moller, the rebound of Handzus....and so on. For some of you to work yourselves into this pessimistic state before the off season begins, must lend itself to your general unhappiness. Too many good things happened this season for me to be anything but optimistic for next year.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
  #17
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character
 
HYORI 1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 500
I agree that we're a young team and we need to be patient but aren't the hawks also one of the youngest teams, if not the youngest?

Personally, I think we could have and should have made the playoffs.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 05:49 PM
  #18
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
I'd rather have Craig MacTavish than Terry Murray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
You really wouldn't. MacT sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
This.
Haven't we had enough of convicted felons in this organization? MacTavish KILLED someone while driving drunk, and served a year in jail for it. (look it up).

Besides, his hockey acumen never really impressed me.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
  #19
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
hmmmm. maybe you should look up Terry Murray's stats as a coach in 1997. That's right, when he coached the Flyers to the Stanley Cup finals.....so is it really his style of coaching that doesn't work? Or is it that our players are mostly under 25 and don't have any experience yet? Do you really think we're going to do anything special when our top forward is 21 years old, our top d-man is 19 and our top goalie is 23?
You mean the coach who benched our Asst. GM for game 2 of the SCF in favor of Garth Snow? The one who coined that famous our players are choking line? The one that had problems managing his star players, and who after getting swept from the finals, got the axe?

Now to answer your question: Yeah, its his style I don't like. Brown has been a no-show for weeks and hasn't been sat once. Early on when Sully was playing well and took one bad shift he got sat or demoted to 4th line. Why hasnt Kopitar, who has also been guilty of defensive lapses been forced to sit or called out like Frolov? Why are we ever suiting up Ivanans AND Westgarth in any one game? Why are we suiting ivanans up at all? Why is Peter Harrold on the PP? Or playing wing? Why was Calder on the top line for 20+ games? Why Did Moller sit for so many games when we needed offense? So Peter Harrold could play up front? Why did we play musical lines for the better part of the season? Why is there a dearth of offense if you still have to outscore the opponent even if we are better defensively than we have been in many years?

Answer me these questions and then we can talk about what TM did somewhere else at some other time. Right now, I'm only concerned with what he's done for us (the Kings) lately (this season), and what he will do better next season.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
  #20
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Why hasnt Kopitar, who has also been guilty of defensive lapses been forced to sit or called out like Frolov? Why are we ever suiting up Ivanans AND Westgarth in any one game? Why are we suiting ivanans up at all? Why is Peter Harrold on the PP? Or playing wing? Why was Calder on the top line for 20+ games? Why Did Moller sit for so many games when we needed offense? So Peter Harrold could play up front? Why did we play musical lines for the better part of the season? Why is there a dearth of offense if you still have to outscore the opponent even if we are better defensively than we have been in many years?

Just to piss you off DIEHARD, just to piss you off.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:14 PM
  #21
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Just to piss you off DIEHARD, just to piss you off.
THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS!!!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:19 PM
  #22
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS!!!
That's what I'm here for!

For the record, I'm pissed too.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 06:57 PM
  #23
tantrum4*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
You mean the coach who benched our Asst. GM for game 2 of the SCF in favor of Garth Snow? The one who coined that famous our players are choking line? The one that had problems managing his star players, and who after getting swept from the finals, got the axe?.
yes that's the coach. the one who took the team to the STANLEY CUP FINALS.....Who cares what term he coined? How in the world does that affect his coaching? If the players on that team were a bunch of babies and couldn't take a little criticism from their coach, it's no wonder they got swept. They must have had no heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Now to answer your question: Yeah, its his style I don't like. Brown has been a no-show for weeks and hasn't been sat once. Early on when Sully was playing well and took one bad shift he got sat or demoted to 4th line. Why hasnt Kopitar, who has also been guilty of defensive lapses been forced to sit or called out like Frolov? Why are we ever suiting up Ivanans AND Westgarth in any one game? Why are we suiting ivanans up at all? Why is Peter Harrold on the PP? Or playing wing? Why was Calder on the top line for 20+ games? Why Did Moller sit for so many games when we needed offense? So Peter Harrold could play up front? Why did we play musical lines for the better part of the season? Why is there a dearth of offense if you still have to outscore the opponent even if we are better defensively than we have been in many years??
Well I'm pretty bored right now so I guess I'll humour you.

1) Don't remember O'Sully only having one bad shift. I remember him having a few bad GAMES in a row, so he got demoted. Big deal, it happens to everyone.

2) Even though Kopitar has had a few defensive lapses, Frolov's lapses DIRECTLY led to a goal against when he was trying to hot dog the puck out of the zone, and not being strong on the puck to get it out. He's known more for his defensive play than Kopitar is, so he is expected to know his role, and shut the hell up! (remember The Rock boys? ha,ha) Let me ask you this, Mark Messier and Esa Tikkanen both give the puck away during a game and the other team scores. Who do you think the coach would be harder on? A player known for offensive skills and a little defense, or a defensive player with a little offense? If you answered Tikkanen, you are correct!

3) We did the Ducks always dress Parros & Moen? Why do the Canucks dress Hordichuk and O'Brien? Why do the Blackhawks dress Walker and Eager and Burrish? Why do the Avalanche dress Laperiere and McLeod? Why do the Flyers dress Cote and Asham and Carcillo? Why do the Capitals dress Brashear and Erskine? I could go on all day, but the answer you are looking for is toughness. Which is something we have none of except for these two guys and Greene and O'Donnell, who can't be in the box all night.

4) Peter Harrold is on the PP because have you seen anyone else lighting it up lately? If you were the coach would you just keep the same guys who can't ever score out there? Or would you try to insert someone fresh and maybe find someone that suprises everyone? How do you think guys like Franzen get to where they are? Shouldn't the coaches just kept playing Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Holmstrom every time?

5)Who else should be on the top line? I'd love to hear you answer. Aren't you complaining that the offense is weak? So again, should the coach just keep the same 3 guys on the 1st line every game until they want to kill each other because none of them can score? Wow you would be a horrible coach...

6) Moller is not really the offensive juggernaught you think he is. He has 2 even strength goals all year. Gee who had more than him? Oh yea! Calder!!!!! But you woulda sat Calder instead right? Hell even Peter Harrold has 3 goals. Moller is only 19 years old and he might turn out great. But sometimes players struggle or are playing hurt, and sometimes, especially smaller players, get worn out from all the banging and crashing that goes on and they just aren't that effective towards the end of the year. Look at Minnesota's first round pick James Sheppard. He has 5 goals all year, but he will be better. Moller would not have made a difference to our offensive woes so it's not a big deal that he's been scratched. get over it, I'm sure he has....

7) All teams play musical lines when they are trying to find their identity. How many wingers have the Sedins had in the past 4 years? And the Canucks still switch guys on and off that line all season. You can't just magically put 3 guys together and hope they score 50 goals each. Part of being a good coach is experimenting. The only player I ever heard complain about the line juggling was, you guessed it, Patrick O'Sullivan...weird that a guy that holds out on the rest of his team is the guy that complains about the lines too isn't it??

8) Your last question doesn't really make sense. i don't know what a dearth is and I'm not that interested to go and google it...

Hope that answers all your questions, I didn't re-read my post so don't worry about my spelling if it's all messed up....

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:57 PM
  #24
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Haven't we had enough of convicted felons in this organization? MacTavish KILLED someone while driving drunk, and served a year in jail for it. (look it up).

Besides, his hockey acumen never really impressed me.

I knew that already and I don't care. Heatley killed his teammate and you're telling me you wouldn't sign him?

Besides, Terry Murray's hockey acumen never really impressed me.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 02:12 PM
  #25
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 51,328
vCash: 500
I don't have a problem with the coach.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.