HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Free Agency 7/1/09 Part 2 **

Old
07-01-2009, 11:09 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Yeah, drafting a generational talent helps.
Bringing in Fedorov, Poti, Nylander, Kozlov, and Zubrus helped too...

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:09 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Seriously?

Um yeah, Pasadena.
Is there any player you are willing to pay markey rate for that DL hasn't already overpaid? You appear so concerned with the amount paid to players that one might assume you had to pay them out of your own pocket. Tell me who (that DL hasnt signed) as a UFA in the past three were you willing to pay what they received?

The Kings could easily have signed Havlat to that deal, or at least extended that offer if they wanted to. Apparently they were too shy to give Gaborik a NMC clause but they happily gave one to Handzus. It goes without saying that Gaborik >> Handzus.

If Nick Kypreos is to be believed LA passed up their shot at Gaborik, for what, Biron?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Bringing in Fedorov, Poti, Nylander, Kozlov, and Zubrus helped too...
Of course. But it all started with Ovechkin.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:10 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Beauchemin was rumored to be seeking 4.5 a season. Pretty hefty, but he'd be a great fit here.
I agree, $3.5M would be more like it.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston
No, I was with you three years ago. I just have more patience. I was a fan of the 1978 NY (Joe Pisarcik) Giants. It took that wreck of an organization 6 years to make a serious playoff run and 8 years to win a Super bowl after bringing in a real GM. I feel I know how this works.

Let me leave you with one thought. Championships are won as much by moves NOT made as with those moves that ARE made. We did not blow our wad today on guys that will hold the Cup up one day. We do have dry powder. That will be evident in the next six weeks.

I will make one prediction. The Rangers will not win the Cup in the next 5 (at $7.5mm) years.
Quote:
Nailed that one, I'm sure of it. Neither will Minnesota or Montreal.
+1 thank you

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Nailed that one, I'm sure of it. Neither will Minnesota or Montreal.
And at the current rate neither will the KINGS!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Is there any player you are willing to pay markey rate for that DL hasn't already overpaid? You appear so concerned with the amount paid to players that one might assume you had to pay them out of your own pocket. Tell me who (that DL hasnt signed) as a UFA in the past three were you willing to pay what they received?

The Kings could easily have signed Havlat to that deal, or at least extended that offer if they wanted to. Apparently they were too shy to give Gaborik a NMC clause but they happily gave one to Handzus. It goes without saying that Gaborik >> Handzus.

If Nick Kypreos is to be believed LA passed up their shot at Gaborik, for what, Biron?
It's the length of contract ****nuts, not the cap hit.

I went on record saying Gaborik on a short term deal with a cap hit of around $6.5M would be acceptable. No, I wouldn't have given him an NMC, and likely NYR will be sorry that they did.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:18 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Well, since such an exciting July 1st is almost over and I don't expect Deano to do anything... how about Frolov and Johnson?

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Omni Owl
Dual Negative

Some quotes from Lombardi:

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/

Sucks about Hossa. Maybe next summer players won't feel that way about LA.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Need a little help here.

Who is our play making center that would be a 1st line center on any team?

Who are our game breaking wingers that would be 1st line forwards on any team?

Who is our top point producing defenseman that can QB the PP and put up points, and still be in the top 2 D of any team?

We're going into this season after a complete failure of last season on a wing (or lack thereof) and a prayer? So the current crop of players that were in the top 5 of the worst teams in the league get better? How is this reconciled with Dean's claim less than a few weeks ago where he said the playoffs were an expectation in 09-10 season?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
What is wrong with giving Gaborik a 5 year deal with a NMC? Dean gave Handzus 4 years and a NMC coming off of major knee surgery.

Dean should have signed Gaborik and Beauchemin for around $12 million and our team would have been complete. Plenty of room to sign JJ and Purcell.

Kopitar better come to camp in the best shape of his life and produce as if he had a legitimate winger on his line.
One of these things is not like the other...

Old
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
How about being fed-up? It's not like the fans that are begging for action want to see this team get hurt. We want to see improvement and a signing of a player like Havlat to five million a year would get no complaints! **** he'd be 34/35 when his contract expires.
And honestly you don't stop at Havlat either. You tell your kids that were helping you with improvement. You can also get off the 19 yr old teaching an 18 yr old how to be a hockey player/professional BS!
Every year a picture like this or the sky is falling seems to appear! I honestly would like to know what the hardest working front office does beside scout SJ and Philly games. If you love em' so much go the **** back!
I was just goofin dude. I wanted Gaborik as much as anybody, but there are more than 3 options out there.

If come game 1 of the season we are the same team I will be as pissed as anyone. Missing out on the big FA's doesn't mean Dean is not going to get anybody to score goals.

Gaborik, Hossa, Havlat all would have been great, and I would have given all three of them the contracts they got. Signing a FA is awesome since you don't give up assets. Its one friggin day out of the offseason. I expect a trade.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:22 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Need a little help here.

Who is our play making center that would be a 1st line center on any team?

Who are our game breaking wingers that would be 1st line forwards on any team?

Who is our top point producing defenseman that can QB the PP and put up points, and still be in the top 2 D of any team?

We're going into this season after a complete failure of last season on a wing (or lack thereof) and a prayer? So the current crop of players that were in the top 5 of the worst teams in the league get better? How is this reconciled with Dean's claim less than a few weeks ago where he said the playoffs were an expectation in 09-10 season?
We are? The season starts tomorrow?

Last edited by JDM: 07-01-2009 at 11:32 PM.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:22 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Straight from the lawyer

Per Hammond.

Quote:
-- The Kings, and two other teams, had exclusive negotiating rights to talk to Hossa before July 1. If they had signed him, they would have owed some type of compensation to Detroit. The Kings were prepared for a massive Hossa deal, but he wanted to go to a more successful team.

-- The other big target was Mike Knuble, who ultimately decided to stay in the East.

-- The Kings looked at Gaborik, and debated whether to give him as many as three years, but weren't prepared to go anywhere near the Rangers' offer. They also looked at Havlat, in a similar way, but less seriously.

-- Lombardi said he will look at some of the remaining forwards, but sounded more prepared to look at trade possibilities, particularly with teams that have salary-cap issues.

-- Adding a veteran defenseman is a possibility, but not a strong one right now. Lombardi said they ``dabbled'' with Francois Beauchemin, but that's about it so far.
There you go. Same ****, different day. This team has a nearly impossible hole to climb out of.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post

Like I've been saying, he didn't want to play here. Either did Knuble.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Reaper45

Did anyone really expect otherwise? I mean we all held out a little bit of hope but ultimately he didn't want to be in L.A., like I've been saying. Either did Knuble. We'll land a Briere or Cheechoo via trade.

Old
07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post

oh yea that makes me feel much better

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
All on short term deals. I know it's complicated. Ah, who am I kidding it's not complicated at all. He brought some fillers in and now they are gone. End of story.

Don't you have a bridge to look for?
Did Kovalev sign yet?

Or do you not know how to read?

And yeah man, Preissing and Handzus, definitely short term deals! Plus the extensions he's given out to Cloutier and Visnovsky were abominable stuff. But anyway, enough of that. I really don't like continuing petty arguments when people certainly are not going to agree.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Omni Owl
Dual Negative

It makes sense though. The Hawks put up a good fight in the playoffs and have a brighter immediate future. Guys will want to come here when we start winning.

Old
Matt13

oh great......cheechoo.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Willard
Kings All The Way

I don't have a problem with any of that from Lombardi.

There are lots of ways to upgrade this current team and get it into the playoffs, without having to take a mental holiday and overpay on July 1. The above are not the only ways to improve by any stretch.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Did anyone really expect otherwise? I mean we all held out a little bit of hope but ultimately he didn't want to be in L.A., like I've been saying. Either did Knuble. We'll land a Briere or Cheechoo via trade.
I've calmed down quite a bit from the initial shock. I understand it wasn't Dean's fault. Obviously he was willing to open the checkbook for Hossa.

The players didn't want to come here. I can accept that.

Let's hope, like you said, we can land a Smyth or Cheechoo via trade.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Omni Owl
Dual Negative

I'd rather not have Cheechoo. Give me Gagne, Sturm, or Clowe instead.

Old
mysteryman

Id take Beuchemien gladly. He is a hell of a player and certainly someone JJ could learn from.

Plus a Dcorp of Doughty, Beuch, Quincey, JJ, OD and whomever seriously has to earn that #6 spot will be the best DCorp the team has ever had.....yeah I said it-best Dcorp Ever. With some quality Dmen in the pipeline I'm not sure Greene even makes the team.

We spoke about OD running out of gas the end of the year and this is one solution in that we can spell him from time to time...maybe get him 60 or so games and not make him play back to back and what not.

Quick may have the Sophmore slump but based on his play last season-he is the best goalie weve had since Potvin went on his amazing run that led us to the playoffs.

Im not surprised we didnt sign anyone, Im surprised that people that have waited as long as we have are crying that DL didnt give a huge long term deal to a couple of guys who have never played a full 82 game season. If were coughing up the dough and giving long term deals lets make it count with Nash or Kovalchuk.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
If DL deals for Briere, I'll be pissed.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote