HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Free Agency 7/1/09 Part 2 **

Old
07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Malice430

vCash: 500
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...DOWN/125/21925

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
By the way whoever defended the Canadians signings please realize they don't have a Brown, Kopitar, Doughty or Frolov...they lost there top players today in Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev and Komisarek....who is left? The Kostisyn's? Markov? That's it. They had to do a quick makeover....
Too bad for them they ended up looking like the Joker.

They are going to get pushed around so bad.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Peter James Bond

Okay - since Havlat is probably the last impact UFA out there, what would be your limit to sign him? He's got some leverage now, being the best of the bunch left.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I actually wouldn't mind Antropov but not at $5 million a year which he is supposedly asking for.
Yea for 4 or less.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:56 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Good for you Dean. One year too many and about $2M too much.

Character isn't about spending money, it's about sticking to your plan when temptation comes.
Well actually, its also about admiting when you wrong and when you need to hold yourself to the standard you're holding others too. But DL is too concerned about spending a little of his bosses Money rather than accelerating the develpment of his players.

Why spend the money that wont handicap you anyway, when you can suck and save money on payroll?

Talk is still cheap and DL talking about being in a position to bring in players to fill obvious holes, holes he has admitted exist, is still JUST TALK.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:56 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
HAHAHA, damn that bad?!!!
choices between Gab. Hav, Kovalev, i sure would have picked Gab, buut Kovi can still put up point. Character though is not that desirable.
I find it hard to believe that DL's interested in Kovalev. Granted none of the three are what you'd call a "DL player" but Havlat and Gaborik, though serious injury risks, both produce consistently when they're in the lineup...that makes them desirable, regardless of their pedigree. Kovalev, on the other hand, is reasonably healthy but one of the streakiest performers in the game, a player who, this past season, was instructed by his GM not to accompany the team on a late-season road trip due to his wretched on-ice performance in the weeks leading up to it. I just don't see Dean adding that kind of presence to his young roster.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
"...(Vancouver) shot their wad with the twins"

The last time I saw 'shot their wad and twins' in the same sentence, it had nothing to do with hockey.

Old
07-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
You guys really crack me up. Because LA is Detriot. They should for sure take less money to come to a crappy team. NO WAY I SIGN HIM FOR THIS MUCH OR THAT MUCH. Just go to bed and wake up in the morning and read how dumb you sound.

Im pretty sure when we miss out on Kovalchuk and Nash next year you will find some way to put your tail between your legs and be fine with the Kings not doing anything then aswell.
I'd pony up the dough for Kovy, WITH the NTC. Not for Gaborik. Not even close.

By the way, there's no way I think Gaborik would take less to sign here, especially without the NTC. Sather can have another bloated contract to worry about. When I heard he signed for 5.75 I was pissed, but then I heard 7.5 and I was relieved.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:59 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
You guys really crack me up. Because LA is Detriot. They should for sure take less money to come to a crappy team. NO WAY I SIGN HIM FOR THIS MUCH OR THAT MUCH. Just go to bed and wake up in the morning and read how dumb you sound.

Im pretty sure when we miss out on Kovalchuk and Nash next year you will find some way to put your tail between your legs and be fine with the Kings not doing anything then aswell.
I don't agree with you much riseandfall, but you are spot on here.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Why...they can take Barker, Ladd, Keith and flip them for other assets...they'll make it work. Just watch. We'll be the ones giving up assets.
That's some pretty good players they are going to flip. I'll take Keith.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:00 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
Great, thanks!

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JT8888

Quote:
I don't get your point?
i think i am just having a hard time understanding DL cap game plan. It just seems to me that we over pay for lots of "fillers" when we could have got a proven star to help instantly. take away a couple of the bad signing DL has made in the past and sign gab and our young guns would have been a breeze. Hell Gab is a young gun now (younger then fro).

I am not sure i have a point i am just frustrated.

JT8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
"...(Vancouver) shot their wad with the twins"

The last time I saw 'shot their wad and twins' in the same sentence, it had nothing to do with hockey.

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
i think i am just having a hard time understanding DL cap game plan. It just seems to me that we over pay for lots of "fillers" when we could have got a proven star to help instantly. take away a couple of the bad signing DL has made in the past and sign gab and our young guns would have been a breeze. Hell Gab is a young gun now (younger then fro).

I am not sure i have a point i am just frustrated.
His cap plan is wholly contradictory. There is no point in trying to make sense of it because it doesn't make sense.

In 2007 he dropped more coin than he'll probably ever spend in any offseason for the rest of his life and got nothing more than a pile of ****.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

DL

Quote:
Don’t blow up my email July 3rd when things don’t happen” he said
I was hoping he was kinda of joking. guess not.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Defgarden

Duncan Keith is arguably one of the top 10 defenders in the league.

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

watching this team is gonna be like watching Minnesota without Gaborik, Quick is gonna lose atleast 15 1-0 or 2-1 games

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:04 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Eh, ok maybe $1M too much. I think the thing that made him pass was the term.

Lombardi is looking to sign someone for three years I think.
Explain to me what is wrong, or the problem, with signing an explosive scoring winger like Gaborik for five years, even if he is overpaid by 500K a year. We have cap space to spare and DL could easily make himself a quick study of the other GM's as to how to clear cap space if it turns out we need it. We could alwasy have unloaded Gaborik if the space is needed to sign more coveted players or trade him in a package at the deadline for a guy like Kovalchuk

It appears DL wasnt willing to spend what was there, so his talk was just that.
I know you think he can do no wrong, but at some point, you must realize that time alone wont make this team a Stanley Cup competitor unless you are jumping on Legionnaire's bandwagon of shooting for a few more top five draft picks.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Okay - since Havlat is probably the last impact UFA out there, what would be your limit to sign him? He's got some leverage now, being the best of the bunch left.

It's tough to say without knowing his demands and what other teams are offering. Shot in the dark though, I'd go 5.5 for 3-4 years, though I probably wouldn't start there, and it probably won't get it done.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Explain to me what is wrong, or the problem, with signing an explosive scoring winger like Gaborik for five years, even if he is overpaid by 500K a year. We have cap space to spare and DL could easily make himself a quick study of the other GM's as to how to clear cap space if it turns out we need it. We could alwasy have unloaded Gaborik if the space is needed to sign more coveted players or trade him in a package at the deadline for a guy like Kovalchuk

I know you think he can do no wrong, but at some point, you must realize that time alone wont make this team a Stanley Cup competitor unless you are jumping on Legionnaire's bandwagon of shooting for a few more top five draft picks.
well said

JT8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
lak4ever

Is it sad that I dont even care anymore?

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Yes...but they can trade Campbell, Ladd, and Barker for some good **** (look what the Rags got for Gomez)and still be extremely competitive. Who knows about the cap anyways...it was supposed to go down...big recession and all...cap still went up.

If the cap is 60 mil next year then all these teams are FINEEEEEEEEEE
The cap remained virutally the same with the 5% inflator that the NHLPA used. Without the inflator the cap goes down the $2M - $3M everyone predicted.

I think the teams have their finger on the pulse of their revenue streams a little more than you do. The cap won't be going up next season. If they're lucky it will be flat again, but more than likely it is going down.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

I would say overpaid by like $1M a year, at least. He also wanted a NTC. Ever hear of Dany Heatley?

Sounds to me that more than anything else the NTC and the term were the issues.

Old
07-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

I find it hilarious that some people appear to think that July 1 is the only player-movement day that ever matters... and that as the sun goes down, if the Kings haven't paid full retail, thrown $30 million or something in the direction of one player, the hyperventilating and overblown "Epic Fail" rhetoric must begin...

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
It's tough to say without knowing his demands and what other teams are offering. Shot in the dark though, I'd go 5.5 for 3-4 years, though I probably wouldn't start there, and it probably won't get it done.
If Gionta got 5 million / yr for 5 years, you've gotta figure that Havlat will get 6.0 million for 5 years...easily. I would be fine with that. For more, I'm not sure.