HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Chicago after today

View Poll Results: Is Chicago better, worse, or about the same?
Better 68 60.71%
Worse 8 7.14%
About the same 36 32.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Henrik Datsyukstrom

vCash: 500
Chicago after today

Do you see them as better, worse, or about the same? I see them as about the same. I see Hossa as better than Havlat, but I see Huet worse than Khabibulin by a larger magnitude. The addition of John Madden makes it about even in my opinion.

Henrik Datsyukstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
4rde

Slightly better, the loss of Havlat is big though.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Big Phil

A lot of it comes down to goaltending. Outside of '08 and '98 (yeah I know Osgood won the Cup those years) there isnt a year in recent memory where a goaltender was average and not among the elite members during a Cup run. Fleury was stellar this year and while Chicago has a young core and will only get better the truth is someone has to make that key save with the game tied with a minute to go in the third period. Khabby WAS a guy for that, but now.............

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:38 PM
SammyTheBull

Cristobal Huet...

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheBull View Post
Cristobal Huet...
My point exactly he won't win you a Cup anymore than what Ray Emery will do in Philly

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:34 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
My point exactly he won't win you a Cup anymore than what Ray Emery will do in Philly
Why do you hate us

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Hooch314

I know Bulin wasn't a longterm answer but there is nothing in goal and not any big prospect (Crawford is decent) that can step in.

I do think Hossa is much better than Havlat, but theyll have one of the worst goaltending duos in hockey this year

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Zim

Huet was bad this year but it is hard for a goalie to come in every 3rd or 4th game and be expected to play to the best of their ability. What people seem to forget is that before this year Huet was (statistically speaking) one of the best goaltenders in the league since the lockout. I think playing consistent games will help Huet get settled and having got over the infamous 1st year of a big money deal he will rebound. People also seem to forget that Khabibulin wasn't exactly spectacular in the playoffs this year and has only had 1 good year since the lockout and it just happened to be his contract year.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:28 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
No but solid defense for both Philly and Chicago could win a Cup. Both team's already have the offensive threat, it comes down to how well the defense plays and works with the goalie for both teams.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Gardebut30

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Huet was bad this year but it is hard for a goalie to come in every 3rd or 4th game and be expected to play to the best of their ability. What people seem to forget is that before this year Huet was (statistically speaking) one of the best goaltenders in the league since the lockout. I think playing consistent games will help Huet get settled and having got over the infamous 1st year of a big money deal he will rebound. People also seem to forget that Khabibulin wasn't exactly spectacular in the playoffs this year and has only had 1 good year since the lockout and it just happened to be his contract year.
They don't forget, they just ignore it. There are people out there that are just embittered at this time of year. They'll find any reason, no matter how small, and suggest that Chicago is screwed.

Regarding the subject of Huet, I would have preferred to dealt him and bring Khabby back, but it is what it is. Huet is still a good goalie and right now this team is better defensively than it was last year. Also, like you said, Huet should be better when he gets the majority of starts and can settle into the #1 role without having to constantly look over his shoulder for another high-paid #1 goalie.

We know we'll be a good team again, and the naysayers can say whatever the hell they want in the meantime.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:19 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

They're better, for sure.

Until next offseason...

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

The Blackhawks are fine, the main problem is how the hell are they going to deal with the cap next season...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofgrond View Post
They're better, for sure.

Until next offseason...
This.

They'll have to move Campbell and Huet if they want to keep their young guns.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Shredder

We'll be better and it won't really have a lot to do with whether Khabibulin/Havlat contra Huet/Hossa is a wash or not. The real improvement will come from Toews, Kane, Bolland and Seabrook et al as they put the newfound experience to use.

Last edited by Shredder: 07-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

I have them as about the same. They should have an even more interesting off season next year.

The Central will be fun in 10.

Frozen Fiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:14 PM
tesplen

I voted worse merely due to the fact that Huet is now their starting goalie, and replacing Havlat with Hossa just doesn't offset that for me.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Same, if not slightly worse.

Havlat (when healthy) > Hossa
Pahlsson = Madden
Bulin ? Huet

To the people saying they are better... they came in 4th place last season. Do you really expect them to improve on that?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Cashew

Please don't underestimate Huet guys...

Cashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
VelvetJones

They will make the playoffs but need a Luongo trade at the deadline.

Don't see that happening

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
We'll be better and it won't really have a lot to do with whether Khabibulin/Havlat contra Huet/Hossa is a wash or not. The real improvement will come from Toews, Kane, Bolland and Seabrook et al as they put the newfound experience to use.
This. You can argue all you want about whether Hossa/Madden/Huet is better than Khaby/Havlat/Pahlsson, but the fact is that this was theyoungest team in the league last year. The mere fact that these young kids have another year under their belt means the team, as a whole, will be better.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Pick87your71Poison

They're better for now. The real question will be in a year from now when they gotta deal with the young guys, but I think they are better at this point.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:41 AM
joolzie

Better on paper, have to see how it shakes out on the ice though. Ladd-Bolland-Havlat had great chemistry and the team typically seemed to play better in front of Khabibulin.

I have high hopes though!

joolzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Yep, Huet just had his WORST season in a while but still was 20-15 with a 909 SV %, it's not that bad. Bulin was 20-8-7 with 919%, his BEST season in a while.

Lot of people only work with the "what have you done lately" mentality, but they should know that Huet was over .920% overall in the 3 seasons before the last one, and frankly, not a lot of goalies have done that.

Huet should be paid less (maybe 4M$) but that has nothing to do with him being good or not.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Fataldogg

I see them as about the same. The addition of John Madden is an excellent acquisition but I see Hossa as a slight downgrade to Havlat. They're both solid two way players. I think Havlat is a little more explosive offensively by himself. I also think Havlat and Keith were the MVP's of the team last season. Havlat played huge for them in both the season and playoffs and I think he played better than both JT and Kane. I was honestly shocked Chicago didn't go back after him after having such a quality year.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
moonknight31

i think the additions of madden and hossa offsets the loss of bulin just enuff to make them better

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote