HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron Receives Offer From Kings

Old
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Puzzled that anyone would be upset about the prospect of upgrading in goal. As someone else noted, Biron is better than Esberg. What happens to Esberg if we sign Biron? I don't know and don't really care. I'm not losing any sleep regarding what's in store for Armstrong either.

Frustration over the fact that no scoring winger has been signed shouldn't blind you from recognizing that an upgrade is an upgrade. We can use upgrades in every position on the team.
You made me pull out the Ralph Lawler again... Bing-oooooo!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

So Bernier plays another season in Manchester or Quick gets banished there?

Are they thinking about rolling 3 goalies? Can you do that? Would you want to?

I hope he has a wicked slapper and joins in on power plays so they can not come close to challenging that fresh shutout record next season.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
I am sorry, but I just cant put reason to doing this, how does this help us from getting shut out what 11 times?
A move like this is likely not done in isolation. It could very well be a precursor to a trade - presumably for a forward - involving one of our goaltenders.

We've amassed some depth with young goaltenders with upside and a guy like Bernier (probably the highest trade value) could be expendable. And you can be certain there are some quality players avaialable on the trade front, if the price is right.

If we were to sign Biron, you make him the 1A. Have Erik & Jon battle for the 1B and put the loser in as a starter in Manch. Zatkoff starts in Ontario and Jones continues to develop in the Dub. This - of course - is operating under the premise that Bernier is dealt in a package for a NHL player.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:25 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
So Bernier plays another season in Manchester or Quick gets banished there?

Are they thinking about rolling 3 goalies? Can you do that? Would you want to?

I hope he has a wicked slapper and joins in on power plays so they can not come close to challenging that fresh shutout record next season.
Bernier in Manchester is the plan either way.

Problem? You're smarter than that BigKing. It has to be this offseason, not this July 1.

Talk about myopia.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Bernier in Manchester is the plan either way.

Problem? You're smarter than that BigKing. It has to be this offseason, not this July 1.

Talk about myopia.
Forgot about Ersberg. Rough day at work as well with watching the Kings do nothing today. Some of us are drinking and some of us are feeling better in different ways, causing some of us to forget about Ersberg.

Somebody gets moved then still. Ersberg to someone for a pick or prospect.

If it's a multi-year deal though, it makes things interesting for next year as Quick needs to be re-signed and Bernier isn't going to start his 3rd straight season in the AHL.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Forgot about Ersberg. Rough day at work as well with watching the Kings do nothing today. Some of us are drinking and some of us are feeling better in different ways, causing some of us to forget about Ersberg.

Somebody gets moved then still. Ersberg to someone for a pick or prospect.

If it's a multi-year deal though, it makes things interesting for next year as Quick needs to be re-signed and Bernier isn't going to start his 3rd straight season in the AHL.
Understood! Ersberg would definately have to go, and I'd be fine with that.

If Biron did get longer than a 2 year deal, I would imagine that Dean is planning on trading one of Quick or Bernier in the not too distant future. My guess would be Bernier.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:53 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
the plot thickens.

I know, its a broken record for this expression, but marty is really, truly, an UNBELIEVABLE locker room guy. I can't imagine there is a single person on the face of the earth that has met Marty Biron and didn't leave smiling.

Sends a good message to Quick too. Nothing is set in stone kid. By the way, this is how you be a pro in the NHL.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didnt DL say at the Breakfast with the GM that we werent targeting a goalie?

Its really easy to be confused listening to what DL says and trying to make sense out of that in relationbship to what really happens.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:57 PM
The Judge

Didn't Dean in one of his interviews said "we are set in our goaltending."?

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:59 PM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didnt DL say at the Breakfast with the GM that we werent targeting a goalie?

Its really easy to be confused listening to what DL says and trying to make sense out of that in relationbship to what really happens.

I think Hextall said it. regardless, it doesn't seem that far-fetched or really like that bad of idea when viewed in context.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Cosmos

DL is the guy who's 2 day old bread shopping at the back corner of the grocery store.

A little mold is good for ya...

Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
So we might've been set and then possibly a deal came along where we'd move Ersberg for someone. God forbid that should happen.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Didn't Dean in one of his interviews said "we are set in our goaltending."?
Never judge DL by what he says, he is either a straight lie or his plans change every two minutes.

That being said, I do not hate the idea of signing a veteran goalie. Ersberg is expendable IMO, a decent backup nothing more. Biron is a upgrade, plus more proven. But is it worth both DL's time on July 1 to going after a goalie, plus the cap room (likely 1-1.5 more than Ersberg is making) for something that is not a need at all?

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:24 PM
northernKing

If we sign Biron look for Bernier and Teubert going to COL for Smyth!

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Face Wash

I think this is a load of cr@p.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Hatter
Microagression King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Never judge DL by what he says, he is either a straight lie .......
Sure glad we have those Breakfast with the GMs .....

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
If we sign Biron look for Bernier and Teubert going to COL for Smyth!
thats brutal man

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Fishhead

If there is any truth to this, one of the young goalies is heading out via trade. There is no way the Kings are going to keep Biron, Ersberg, Quick, and Bernier. I'm guessing it would be Bernier for a couple reasons.

Obviously he has the most trade value as he is a highly touted prospect. Also, if he were to stay with the Kings, at the least he would starting at Manchester. He finished strong last year and moving him to a backup would not only really shake his confidence, but also would reduce his value as an asset. Ersberg and Quick have shown that they can play at the NHL level and have had some sucess. It's highly unlikely Quick gets moved as he looked like the real deal last year, but the jury is still out on whether he can keep it up. Ersberg could be moved, but his value isn't high enough to be a serious piece for a serious player coming back. Biron, if he signed here, obviously wouldn't be at Manchester.

If Biron does sign, a couple things could happen in my opinion. Given the timing and the "out of nowhere" factor of this, Dean may be preparing to move one of his bigger chips for someone who fits the team as goaltending has become somewhat of a strong area for the Kings.

1. Ersberg could be traded to a team that needs a backup for a decent player that would free up some salary space, but wouldn't be considered a "bad" contract.

2. Bernier would be included in part of a bigger package to pick up a higher profile player.

I think scenario 2 is much more likely personally. Biron is really good, but Quick has earned the right to start. There isn't a need for the Kings to upgrade their goalie platoon, they did fine last year. So, what teams would fit the profile?

1. Who could be interested in moving higher priced assets for youth, either for cap or rebuild reasons?

2. Who has a starting goalie they plan to go with, but would like a cheaper solution as a backup with loads of potential for the future?

3. Who would consider a trade along the lines of Bernier, Moller, and a possible draft choice for said player. I would assume a forward would be going back, but a team that would covet a young defenseman may rather have Johnson?

A little conjecture on my part:

I think Philly fits the bill for sure. Weak goalie prospects, they would probably rather have Johnson as they don't have any D prospects that jump out at you. Sbisa maybe.

Ottawa fits. Very little goaltending, and they could use a scorer like Moller (he would likely play on the wing). The Heatley act coming to LA would be doubtful at best, however.

SJ doesn't really have any pressing needs for what the Kings can offer. Near the cap, but they have a decent goalie pipeline which diminishes Bernier's value to them.

Boston - Like Ottawa with better goaltending, could be a possibility.

New Jersey - They have almost no young goaltending depth and need scoring. However they don't have cap problems, and were very quiet today. Elias fits the Kings' needs perfectly, but they wouldn't trade him unless they were going to full-on rebuild mode which is highly unlikely.

Washington - Semin jumps out at me, but they have enough coming off the books to give him a good raise if they want. Would the Kings' package be enough to pry him out? Theodore's contract is up and Bernier may really fit in there.

Can't really think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:06 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
If there is any truth to this, one of the young goalies is heading out via trade. There is no way the Kings are going to keep Biron, Ersberg, Quick, and Bernier. I'm guessing it would be Bernier for a couple reasons.

Obviously he has the most trade value as he is a highly touted prospect. Also, if he were to stay with the Kings, at the least he would starting at Manchester. He finished strong last year and moving him to a backup would not only really shake his confidence, but also would reduce his value as an asset. Ersberg and Quick have shown that they can play at the NHL level and have had some sucess. It's highly unlikely Quick gets moved as he looked like the real deal last year, but the jury is still out on whether he can keep it up. Ersberg could be moved, but his value isn't high enough to be a serious piece for a serious player coming back. Biron, if he signed here, obviously wouldn't be at Manchester.

If Biron does sign, a couple things could happen in my opinion. Given the timing and the "out of nowhere" factor of this, Dean may be preparing to move one of his bigger chips for someone who fits the team as goaltending has become somewhat of a strong area for the Kings.

1. Ersberg could be traded to a team that needs a backup for a decent player that would free up some salary space, but wouldn't be considered a "bad" contract.

2. Bernier would be included in part of a bigger package to pick up a higher profile player.

I think scenario 2 is much more likely personally. Biron is really good, but Quick has earned the right to start. There isn't a need for the Kings to upgrade their goalie platoon, they did fine last year. So, what teams would fit the profile?

1. Who could be interested in moving higher priced assets for youth, either for cap or rebuild reasons?

2. Who has a starting goalie they plan to go with, but would like a cheaper solution as a backup with loads of potential for the future?

3. Who would consider a trade along the lines of Bernier, Moller, and a possible draft choice for said player. I would assume a forward would be going back, but a team that would covet a young defenseman may rather have Johnson?

I think Philly fits the bill for sure. Weak goalie prospects, they would probably rather have Johnson as they don't have any D prospects that jump out at you. Sbisa maybe.

Ottawa fits. Very little goaltending, and they could use a scorer like Moller (he would likely play on the wing). The Heatley act coming to LA would be doubtful at best, however.

SJ doesn't really have any pressing needs for what the Kings can offer. Near the cap, but they have a decent goalie pipeline which diminishes Bernier's value to them.

New Jersey - They have almost no young goaltending depth and need scoring. However they don't have cap problems, and were very quiet today. Elias fits the Kings' needs perfectly, but they wouldn't trade him unless they were going to full-on rebuild mode which is highly unlikely.

Washington - Semin jumps out at me, but they have enough coming off the books to give him a good raise if they want. Would the Kings' package be enough to pry him out? Theodore's contract is up and Bernier may really fit in there.

Boston has Rask NJ has Frazee and Washington has Varlamov AND AHL playoff MVP Neurvith. Like I suggested Colorado is very likely!

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post

Sbisa is a Duck now if you forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Boston has Rask NJ has Frazee and Washington has Varlamov AND AHL playoff MVP Neurvith. Like I suggested Colorado is very likely!
Frazee will never be a legitimate #1 goalie in the NHL. Gut feeling

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Sbisa is a Duck now if you forgot.

Frazee will never be a legitimate #1 goalie in the NHL. Gut feeling
How could I forget? Even more reason for them to want Johnson. I really think a package of Bernier and Johnson could get Philly to at least entertain moving Gagne or Hartnell.

And agree on Frazee. Also forgot about Neurvith.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Dominic Lavoie

this only makes sense if DL is looking at this as an opportunity to acquire a good asset for a reasonable price because of the situation with the market. There is nothing wrong with giving Quick some veteran help and then sending Ersberg off as part of a package to a team looking for an affordable backup with some upside. I doubt that DL would start the selling of young prospects by sacrificing Quick or Bernier. Biron can always be moved at the deadline if Quick is doing well too.

Dominic Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:25 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
What went wrong with Biron? They traded for him to be their #1. Did he play badly last year?
That cap space thing that never causes a team to lose a player, right Captain Ron?

Imagine Biron wanting to actually get paid, but its ok I'm sure Philly will be fine with the headcase that is Ray Emery in goal.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:28 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

Not targeting one, and one falling in your lap are two different things. I don't see this as a necessary move, but it does allow Dean to continue to apply pressure to both Quick and Bernier.

If Quick isn't doing the job, theres Biron. If Bernier isn't doing the job, there's Ersberg.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:30 AM
lak4ever

I just don't see why DL would do this, but who am I to question him....right?

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:55 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
We sign Biron then trade a 2nd round pick plus low tier prospect for Danny B

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote