HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Oilers Season

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2004, 08:51 PM
rabi_sultan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
The Oilers Season

i know its early but.

ok so there are 82 games in the year, if we break that into four equal parts that should be:

20.5 games per quarter, lets ignore those two games, say the highest win (27/2/04 Coyotes AWAY W7-2) and highest loss (26/11/03 Red Wings AWAY L7-1) to date.

so that means
Quarter 1 (09/10/03) - (22/11/03)
Record was 10-8-2-0, two games over .500, incedentally the 22/11 game was that Heritage Classic game, which for me was a key turning point in our season, if we miss the playoffs I will point to this event being that key turning point in our season.
Quarter 2 (25/11/03) - (08/01/04)
The second game during this stretch, which has been ignored, was the thumping in Detroit. The record for this stretch of games was 5-8-5-1, three games under .500 (rite?), with many of the losses taking place during the latter half of november and latter half of december. I believe the highlight of this period on the board was the resurgence of g2k and his "rants", he previously refused to rant up until i think December, glad he came back to normal in one huge kickass post .
Quarter 3 (10/01/04) - (21/02/04)
This brings us to what I would like to call the road to recovery, this quarter wasn't too bad though I remember almost 90% of the board here was in a rut and people were contemplating Ovechkin in Oiler colours. Funnily enough the first game during this period was the first time the Oilers would encounter Comrie, this time with the Flyers and on the road. I know someone from here made the trek to Philly and cheered his ass off, good job whoever you were that one was for you. The record was 10-8-2-0, the record eerily similar to the first quarter with the same result, two games over .500
Quarter 4 (23/02/04) - (03/04/04)
This was the stretch of all stretchs, the record was unbelievable and stands (minus the final four games of this year and the battering we gave Phoenix 7-2) at 8-1-3-4, thats a whopping 7 games over .500, even if they loose their last four games the record stands at 8-5-3-4, thats 3 games over .500.

Now I know its hindsight and pure coincidence that the markers of the between the start and end of each quarter place in key factors, end of the first was the heritage classic, the third featured the teams first encounter of Mike Comrie and the resurgence of Tommy Salo for a brief moment, while the fourth so far marks an unbelievable period of hockey played by the Oilers.

Also to note that if we stretch our record to cover the last 25 games the record now becomes 14-3-4-4.

btw my over/under .500 mite be horribly wrong so someone mite wanna correct that.

Now if I were to throw in some key news events based on dates we get the following:

08/11/03 - Reasoner Injury
17/11/03 - Oates Signing
16/12/03 - Comrie Traded
27/12/03 - rout(6-2) the Canucks after xmas break
05/01/04 - Salo Regains Form
05/01/04 - Ulanov Signing
22/01/04 - Bergeron Sent Down
28/01/04 - York Injury
29/01/04 - Bishai Callup
11/02/04 - Conklin Fights!
15/02/04 - Bergeron Callup (can someone confirm this?)
03/03/04 - Nedved/Markannen Trade

I have to go rite now to do coursework I'll revisit this and edit things so that I make my points on the dates of these new items and update the fourth quarter record post-Phoenix game.

But in short that Heritage Classic really hosed us, I didn't want to say it without looking through all the facts but I still can't deny its negative impact on the squad, we basically freefalled after that, our 10 games after (not inluding the Heritage Classic but including that Detroit game) was 2-5-3-0 where the two wins were narrow one goal victories against the Penguins and Mighty Ducks.

Old
03-28-2004, 08:56 PM
mudcrutch79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
But in short that Heritage Classic really hosed us, I didn't want to say it without looking through all the facts but I still can't deny its negative impact on the squad...
Post hoc ergo propter hoc, baby, post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Closed Thread