HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scuderi to LA Kings, 3yr x 3.4M

Old
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

vCash: 500
Tom Preissing version 2.0 . Hopefully , Scuderi will prove me wrong

Penner getrdonebryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
Wow talk about cup fever. 3.5M a year for Scuderi? Wow. Glad he got it, glad it wasnt us paying for it. Scuderi is the perfect #5 guy, and average #4 and anything about that hes over his head.

Listen I love the man's shot blocking and his stick checking ability but the fact remains that he isnt physical, isnt a good cornerman, is a complete liability in transition. As Ken Holland said last year, I want players on the Penguins who are "five tool" so to speak, skating, passing, defending. Scuderi is the definition of niche, and one demensional.

Hopefully he does well in LA but 3.4M is insane for what he brings. I'll bet a player like Lovejoy can give the Penguins 95% of what Rob Scuderi brought to the team.

Nice guy though, and I wish him the best
it's easy for him to say it considering he has the best defencemen in the game.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Heatley View Post
Why is it Preissing 2.0? The two guys are polar opposites. Scuderi will fit in with Terry Murray's system much better than Preissing did.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
I hope those Kings fans who have been relentlessly bashing Lombardi for the past 28 hours will feel some shame. This is a real good move for the team and is exactly one of the things Lombardi said he would do - sign a solid, character, defensive defenseman - with the added value of taking some pressure off of the young guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero View Post
Kind of a prototypical stay at home with not much physical play.

Pros:
hard worker and reliable
good positioning

good vision

Cons:
gets outmuscled
cant clear the crease
horrible with the puck
Even though I do think we( The Kings ) need a stay-at-home defenseman, the bolded area of the quote is the reason Dean got Scuderi. I wouldn't expect non-Kings fans to keep up on Kings plans like Kings fans would; Dean has been talking about building an identity and a culture through the team's core players. Building both an identity and culture will break the losing stigma that surrounds the Kings. After building your core and identity, you bring in your big name free agent to fill in the final piece of the puzzle, that's Dean's philosophy so far. Dean tried negotiating w/ Hossa starting at the draft( get exclusive rights from Detroit and compensation would have gone to Detroit if Hossa signed ), but nothing came through, maybe Dean felt the team was farther ahead than expected in the identity department.

Part of breaking the losing culture that surrounds the Kings is having hardworking, responsible players, both on and off the ice. If every player on the Kings put forth the effort Doughty and Simmonds did every single night, the Kings would be in the playoffs. Scuderi is helping work towards the culture that everyone works; Everyone fights, no one quits.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Osprey

This is exactly the kind of veteran defenseman that the Kings needed. They didn't really need anyone with offensive abilities (ex. Kaberle, Beachemin); what they needed was someone to keep the puck out of the net. Scuderi not only keeps the puck out of his own net; he keeps it out of the opposing team's net, as well. You don't get much more committed than that.

I like that this balances the Kings' defensive roster quite well. For the moment, they have 3 offensive defensemen (Doughty, Quincey, Johnson) and 3 defensive defensemen (Scuderi, Greene, O'Donnell). That's great symmetry, IMO.

Regarding intangibles, Lombardi is really high on character and resume (specifically, playoff experience) and Scuderi fits both. Scuderi joins O'Donnell and Justin Williams as players that Lombardi has recently acquired because they were on Cup-winning teams. Even if they weren't huge reasons for those Cups, Lombardi appreciates that they know what it takes to get there and what it takes once you get there.

All that said, I'm a bit worried about the length and cost of the contract. As others have said, $3.4M seems awfully rich for a player with Scuderi's limited abilities. I think that $2.5M would've been more appropriate. It'll be hard for him to live up to that contract, suggesting that it'll probably not be looked at as a favorable contract in a few years. At least the Kings play a defensive system now, so his style fits perfectly (unlike Tom Preissing anymore) and it may not ever seem like a bad contract, just an overpriced one. If he brings to LA what Lombardi hopes he does, though, it'll probably be worth it. Afterall, it's not like a team like LA can get the pieces that it needs for fair prices; it has to overpay or never improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
What can anyone tell me about him and his play ?
Do you remember, in Game 6 or 7 of the Finals, when a Penguins player played goalie and blocked as many as 3 shots in the crease inside of 3 seconds? That was Scuderi. Those 3 seconds probably boosted his market value by $500K, heh.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-02-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:07 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

You know, last offseason everyone and their mother swore up and down that Matt Greene at 2.9 was the worst extension ever for a purely defensive defenseman that was slow and had zero offensive upside. Yadda yadda yadda. Safe to say Greene is a fan favorite a year later and no one really cares about his 2.9 cap hit.

Scuds is a very similar defenseman to Greener, but with more skill in is own zone and a Cup ring. I'm perfectly okay with this signing. It solidifies our back end next year with the perfect mix of vetern leadership (Scuderi, O'Donnell) youth (Doughty, Johnson) and in-betweeners (Quincey, Greene).

And Bylsma turned the Pens around for a reason. He chose Scuderi to shadow the best player in the league.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Darth Sidious*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post

And Bylsma turned the Pens around for a reason. He chose Scuderi to shadow the best player in the league.

Bylsma got Scuds to shadow Sid?

Darth Sidious* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:11 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Why is it Preissing 2.0? The two guys are polar opposites. Scuderi will fit in with Terry Murray's system much better than Preissing did.
Talking about contracts and how he won't play up to it.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Yeah I know that, but I was comparing them because they are bottom pairing guys who had one good playoff run and helped their teams reach the Stanley Cup Finals(in Scuderi's case even win it). Both signed big contracts with LA on the open market. As good as Scuderi might be , 3.4 is too much for a bottom pairing guy with no offensive skills whatsoever and who doesn't have much potential .

Old
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANDnFIGHT View Post
JJ is definitely on the move. Kings will make a trade to acquire a forward today
He can't be he bought a house in L.A

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
shaner89

Simialar to the Jeff Finger contract. Good defensive dman have a certain price.

This is no different. Yes this is a durastic overpayment but LA wanted him and they payed for it,.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:13 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Preissing was a debacle defensively, Scuderi is the exact opposite.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

How can you guys compare Scuderi to Jeff Finger and Tom Preissing? Did any of those guys win the cup the year their contract was up? No.. Did any of them play a big part during the playoffs and shut down not only Ovechkin but other superstars, no..

This was a good pick up by LA, and don't be surprised if Dean signs Tanguay and Moen too..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sidious View Post
Bylsma got Scuds to shadow Sid?
It's actually pretty true. Gonch and Brooksie usually went out with Geno, Scuds and the USS went out with Sid.

I love Scuds, but I think he's getting a bit too much credit considering Ovechkin had like 8 goals in 7 games. By that token, Mike Green did a tremendous job shutting down Crosby.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
How can you guys compare Scuderi to Jeff Finger and Tom Preissing? Did any of those guys win the cup the year their contract was up? No.. Did any of them play a big part during the playoffs and shut down not only Ovechkin but other superstars, no..

This was a good pick up by LA, and don't be surprised if Dean signs Tanguay and Moen too..
Preissing was 3 games away from winning the cup . He didn't play that big of a role , but I really think you're overrating Scuderi's playoff performance .First, Ovechkin was super dominant against the Pens so I don't see how much of a shut-down role Scuderi played in that series , second he's played only 300 career games and he's 31 already (that's the same amount of games Pressing played) . Yeah, I compared the contracts they got on the open market , their cup run , their playing career , their age, their final destination..
Look at what the Pens fans are saying , great guy but they are glad they didn't keep him for that contract.
I know you guys are going to defend this move , I would do it too if my team was involved . Like I said , I hope this works out for both LA and Scuderi.

Old
07-02-2009, 04:23 PM
AK

Good for Rob to cash out. He deserved it and this was his one big shot.

It sucks that he was a cap casualty to the Pens, but he's the type of player you have to try to replace if he wants big bucks, so that's what Shero has to do.

Good luck in LA, Scuds. Thanks for the guts and saving your team's rear ends in Game 6 of the Finals.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
State of Hockey

I a big fan of this for LA. They don't need to be spending 3.4 on another Greene. They need to be spending that on top-6 forwards.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Yeah I know that, but I was comparing them because they are bottom pairing guys who had one good playoff run and helped their teams reach the Stanley Cup Finals(in Scuderi's case even win it). Both signed big contracts with LA on the open market. As good as Scuderi might be , 3.4 is too much for a bottom pairing guy with no offensive skills whatsoever and who doesn't have much potential .
The big factor that screwed over Preissing was the change in head coach, system, and philosophy when Marc Crawford went out and Terry Murray came in. It is night and day in terms of which defenseman can and cannot play in one system versus the other.

For example, when Crawford came in Aaron Miller and Mattias Norstrom struggled mightily because it required that the defenders join the attack. Tom Preissing, Joe Corvo, and Brent Sopel did fairly well in a system like that.

Terry Murray comes in and he requires defensively responsible individuals who play with some grit and jam. Now Sean O'Donnell and Matt Greene excel in this new system and Preissing finds himself unable to bring what the coach needs so he struggles to even find ice time.

So I don't think it's so much that the player selection was bad, but the fit is just wrong. In this case I think it'll work out as long as the system and staff remain as they are.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

*Whimpers alone in a dark room*

LA, you got yourselves a gamer.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

seems like a little much, but he is the piece

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
SFKingshomer

I love the move. This means Gauthier won't be back and OD doesn't have to eat up 20 minutes.

Scuderi/Doughty
JJ/Greene
Quincey/OD

Ex. Drewiskie

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
*Whimpers alone in a dark room*

LA, you got yourselves a gamer.
Meh. The frickin' San Francisco Giants have a bunch of gamers.

I want a high scoring left wing.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANDnFIGHT View Post
JJ is definitely on the move. Kings will make a trade to acquire a forward today
i can see that happening,

good signing IMO., shoudl be interesting.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:12 PM
JMFJ 3

Everyone is assuming JMFJ is on the move but hold on a second, we're not in a hurry to move him unless Bryan Murray comes knocking at the door.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Bandit

Wish it was a little less money, but it's the west coast so we have to overpay. It's not terrible since we have the cap space. At least now we don't ave to worry about Sean O'Donnell expiring trying to keep up with Doughty or Johnson.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote