HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LaRose signs 2 year deal

Old
07-02-2009, 06:25 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Interesting comments:

-Wants to play for Carolina the rest of his career

-Not too many offers the past 2 days

-Doesn't want to sign the long term deal so he can always be playing for a contract

-Thinks he can score 30

-Already working out with Rod
He's saying EVERYTHING I want to hear.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 06:28 PM
CanesUltimate11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Yeah the team that needed a miracle in round 1, a Cam Ward headstand in round 2, and then put up an 0 in the ECF.......You cant compete for a cup playing 7 game series......and this team isnt going to be better than last year, it has the exact same guys. So one of these things is true

You are fine making the playoffs and having virtually no shot at the cup OR You, like JR, believe this team was capable of beating the Pens in the playoffs when healthy(which noone in the hockey universe believes but JR and maybe Mo)

Im not in either of these camps. I would prefer the team move forward and get better. This lineup as currently constructed doesnt offer that IMO.
Well we did beat the Penguins in the regular season (yeah i know whole different ball game) but the key is the Canes were healthy.

We dont lose 2 of our bigger physical players in the first game and play with a healthy Cam Ward, yes we can beat them in the playoffs.

CanesUltimate11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
First off, congrats to the Chuck Norris of Hockey on a good deal, he has earned every penny. As much as I have said other options may be better to fill some voids in other areas, I can't file a single complaint about having LaRose back. He truly plays the game for the logo he wears on his chest and I really think he loves it in Carolina. At the price we have him for, I am sold.

I really like our forward depth here. Some can say this is the same team that fought tooth and nail for a playoff spot, but the team evolved throughout the course of the season. It all began when the new coaching staff was introduced. From there we witnessed more solid, respectable play at both ends of the ice. With the additions of Jokinen (though he was a minor impact in the season, however now we know exactly how to use him and I really believe he is in for a great year) and Cole, the team really took off and it carried into the playoffs. I think this group will come out of the gates with high momentum after such a fun run. I have faith this team can be a 4-6 team in the Conference and we have the pieces to once again have an interesting playoff. Do I think we can win? No, we're not that good but never say never. I do believe we are good enough to challenge for a playoff spot and I am sorry, but after missing the boat 2 years in a row, I will gladly take that right now as I know next summer we can expect changes and potentially become much stronger. Its a process. So long as we are competetive this season anything can happen, especially with this group.

Ruutu - Staal - Cole
Whitney - Cullen - LaRose
Samsonov - Brind'Amour - Jokinen
Eaves - Sutter - Walker

I have no doubts this forward crop can compete every single night. Ruutu should only emerge as a better power forward from here on out, Staal should continue to round out his game, Cole has everything to prove and I feel good about that, Cullen and LaRose could excel in their role, Whitney still puts up 60 points easy, Brindy has a lot to prove and I really think he will step up, Jokinen is a real nice all around player who I believe is in store for a real solid year, Walker really made his presence felt and I believe he will be a strong leader on this team going forward. With the coaching staff having a strong philosoph in place we are a playoff team and there is no reason we should not contend for a 4-6 spot in the East. I would rather Sutter have a full season in the AHL as I think he could really benefit from that, but it may be an unlikely scenerio.

Gleason
Pitkanen
Corvo
Babchuk *Possibly*
Kaberle
Wallin
Carson
Rodney
McBain

It will get by, but I really believe it may be a downfall here. It is evident something has to be done. I don't know what is going to happen with Babchuk, all I do know is I hope for some sort of change to be made to introduce a piece to help solidify the top 4. It is not good enough whether Babchuk is here or not. If we can package Babchuk & Eaves for Ehrhoff, tough to say if that is interesting enough for SJ (?)... but something has to be done here in my opinion. I do not want to see McBain here. Period.

Ward
Leighton

Obviously no complaints.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Interesting comments:

-Doesn't want to sign the long term deal so he can always be playing for a contract

-Thinks he can score 30

As if I needed another reason to love this guy. LaRose is always one of our hardest working guys, and he's very responsible defensively. Having him in the fold really does give this team a shot in the arm every night.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

That is good value. Bravo.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I'm glad LaRose is returning. Any team can use a player like him, especially at his cap hit/salary. Now we don't have to rush our rooks and we can let them get some quality minutes in the AHL. Depending on what happens to the D, I think we have the players in place to have a solid playoff team.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I still wish we had a 4th line like boston with guys like Bitz and Begin. At least then it is 8 minutes of cycling and putting guys thru the glass. A much more difficult 8 minutes to play against than the 8 against Sutter Eaves and Walker...though it would sacrifice some forward flexibility. And im going to need to see Sutter be strong enough to stay on the puck before he is remotely useful as a 4th line center. I hope he is hitting the Bojangles and Cookout

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
And im going to need to see Sutter be strong enough to stay on the puck before he is remotely useful as a 4th line center. I hope he is hitting the Bojangles and Cookout
That's why he'll spend next year in the ahl.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:35 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

It must be frustrating for Sutter. He has all the intangibles and hockey sense but that rail thin body just wont let him play with the big boys

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 08:37 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesUltimate11 View Post

We dont lose 2 of our bigger physical players in the first game and play with a healthy Cam Ward, yes we can beat them in the playoffs.
Please. The Pens had us bent over a barrel and crying. I'm not saying we don't beat them were the match-up to occur again, but that particular series was brutal.

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50

YES! We keep the frontrunner for the Hart, and at a great deal to boot!

I need to start being more pessimistic; Game 7 against Jersey, I had resigned myself to the Canes losing, but they pulled it out, I had no hope that they would beat Boston, but they pulled it out, I get cocky against the Pens, they get stomped.

I give up hope on signing Larose, and JR pulls it out! Woooooooo woooo wooooooo!

Wonderful deal, I was expecting some hapless GM to toss him $2.5 million, but he either took a discount, or we had the best deal on the table. I don't care either way, Rosie is wearing the red for two more years.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I really think other GM's don't understand how valuable he is to a locker room because they aren't around him everyday... His value runs WELL past 18 even strength goals...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
I can pat myself in the back... so what i was 6 hours off, I am not Guerzy and can't predict a deal in like 5 minute error margin.
But I could see Rosie coming back, it was JR written all over it and the more the day progressed with no news, the more i was getting convinced #59 is coming back.

As it stands now we'll start season with a better crop of forwards via addition of Cole and Jokinen and subtraction of injured Williams.

We do have lesser defense, however. I can only hope there won't be another Melichar like replacement to beef up our defensive ranks in a hurry.
But then again, knowing JR and his patterns I don't have many hopes. In fact, i don't have any hopes at all.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:51 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
knowing JR and his patterns I don't have many hopes. In fact, i don't have any hopes at all.
Wow...this Canes board is the most pessimistic place on HF. God if some of you were Leafs fans you'd be on suicide watch. Come on, we just went to the ECF and beat the Devils and Bruins.

How about a little optimism?

Old
07-03-2009, 08:44 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktheCaniac View Post
Wow...this Canes board is the most pessimistic place on HF. God if some of you were Leafs fans you'd be on suicide watch. Come on, we just went to the ECF and beat the Devils and Bruins.

How about a little optimism?
are you and ECUguy related by any chance? You could be twin brothers separated at birth.

Old
07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I'm with Chuck on this one. This place has been a bit of a downer lately. I'm excited for next season, and when it comes to JR I think the smart moves he has made well overshadow the poor ones.

07-03-2009, 09:44 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
I'm with Chuck on this one. This place has been a bit of a downer lately. I'm excited for next season, and when it comes to JR I think the smart moves he has made well overshadow the poor ones.
Don't take me wrong. Given the circumstances, I like what he did with our offense for next season.
However, JR always, i mean always underestimates the importance of defense. I just can't see him signing or trading for someone who'll be a true top 4 guy.
Instead we'll get other team leftovers or one of our rookies that JR will present as "we believe this guy will cement our blue line next season blah blah blah".

EDIT: Send me a crow if i end up to be wrong. Will we hear today that Seids signed with Carolina?

Old
07-03-2009, 09:45 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
At least so far this postseason I would say he's doing just fine. He has 2 more things yet to deliver on though that will make or break this offseason. He HAS to get Ruutu under a reasonable contract and he has to bring in a top 4 defenseman. Whether or not that means giving up Babchuk in a trade is another matter entirely.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Count me in on the optimism train too ... but then I live in Lewiston, Maine, where we haven't seen the sun since, oh, last August, and our hockey team gave up 30 goals a game in the playoffs.

This team doesn't knock my socks off, but on paper at least it's competitive. A good season maybe puts us in a good position by the trade deadline, and maybe a repeat of '06 is in the cards. Far-fetched? Admittedly, but who didn't feel that way in the summer of 2005?

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:10 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Yeah I agree! I mean, JRs the same guy who's been running the team since forever, right? 2002, 2006, 2009...

What's the guy done lately to warrant all the bashing? Its not his fault injuries have wiped out several of the past 5 seasons.

Like I said, how about a little optimism around here?

Last edited by ChuckW: 07-03-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old
07-03-2009, 12:13 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I really think other GM's don't understand how valuable he is to a locker room because they aren't around him everyday... His value runs WELL past 18 even strength goals...
Their loss, our gain.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Just flipped my Canes calendar over to July. The player for this month... Chad LaRose.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:21 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Just flipped my Canes calendar over to July. The player for this month... Chad LaRose.
Coincidence? I. don't. think. so.

Old
07-03-2009, 09:56 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Interesting comments:

-Thinks he can score 30

I'm so excited that he is back....and that interview makes me even more excited. I was starting to get worried that we wouldn't sign him, what a relief.

07-04-2009, 12:16 AM
CioCio

Quote:
When's Jeff Hamilton's page come up? (He is in that, I think)

This is really good news, I was definitely not looking forward to having to play against the guy. The game against Edmonton this season nearly killed me.

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote