HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 13-18

Old
07-15-2009, 06:31 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2743
The goal scorers I saw: Bruess Dubuc Backman Koogs and Carlson. I got some iso's goals and hit vids I will up later. The best hits I saw were SDR Mitchell and Orlov. No real strong impressions other than the obvious ones; the top picks and older guys looked a little better. It was good to see Gus out there. Orlov looked like Gonch for a minute there. Carlson was active offensively. Koogs had the nicest goal. There were a bunch of guys I didnt recognize that seemed ok to me; but shooting vids limits what you see. The roster sheet they handed out was incomplete.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:49 PM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
thanks again to all in attendance.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Carlson was a beast....had an awesome goal pinching in. Wasn't impressed that impressed with Gus (guess I was expecting a lot more). SDR put Finley on his ass right in front of me when it looked like Finley had the advantage the whole way. The crowd was surprised at that one. SDR plays with a nice edge....looks like he's hitting with bad intentions. Really liked it.

Bouchard was really poised...like NBW said. Orlov was also thumping people whenever he had the chance. Wey made some nice plays. Kugy had a nice goal off the post.

Good crowd...very fun to watch the kids out there.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I'm wondering if the so/so perspectives on Gus aren't a good thing. I seem to remember another Swede who got so so reviews in his early camp performances. I'm not saying that he's Backstrom again, but patience is a good thing.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm wondering if the so/so perspectives on Gus aren't a good thing. I seem to remember another Swede who got so so reviews in his early camp performances. I'm not saying that he's Backstrom again, but patience is a good thing.
Two guys from the same country...but not even in the same zip code...when it comes to overall talent.

Didn't like the pick then...still don't like it.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:16 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Another note about Gus: there's zero panic in his game. He's very stoic on the ice. He just knows what to do and where to be. I think that's his hockey sense shining through.
Backstrom-esque?

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Two guys from the same country...but not even in the same zip code...when it comes to overall talent.

if he can keep the back in line, i think he's gonna be pretty good.

i guess we'll find out.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Dmitri Orlov - Best player on the ice today. Closed gaps quickly and was very physical in the defensive zone. Also moved and/or carried the puck very quickly and effectively. Was nearly impossible to forecheck. In the offensive zone, he did a very good job of getting shots on net.
I went back and watched some of the U18s in Fargo after the Caps drafted him and his first pass ability really stands out. It was effortless at that level, though he got caught running around in his zone a bit. The whole 'river boat gambler' tag seemed to fit in that tourney as well at times. Was he more conservative in today's scrimmage in picking his spots better?

It's probably best for him to take the next step to Hershey but he may have to prove he's capable of being a top 4 type right off the bat to make it really worthwhile. One thing he has going for him is that he may run the PP better from the point than any potential Hershey defenseman outside of Carlson.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:25 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I went back and watched some of the U18s in Fargo after the Caps drafted him and his first pass ability really stands out. It was effortless at that level, though he got caught running around in his zone a bit. The whole 'river boat gambler' tag seemed to fit in that tourney as well at times. Was he more conservative in today's scrimmage in picking his spots better?

It's probably best for him to take the next step to Hershey but he may have to prove he's capable of being a top 4 type right off the bat to make it really worthwhile. One thing he has going for him is that he may run the PP better from the point than any potential Hershey defenseman outside of Carlson.
That's a good point. Hershey is losing their 3 best point men in Kronwall, Lepisto, and Bourque. There are plenty of guys that could potentially step in to take the spot, but if Orlov is the best at it...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Skill-wise, I don't see Gus holding a candle to Backstrom. IMO, we're talking a 1a center vs. a 2b center. Mind you this was my first time seeing Gus...like I said, maybe my expectations were too high.

Old
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I think you're right on there. I think Gus can develop into a decent player, but I don't see all star potential (talking about those flashes of brilliance you see even in raw, undeveloped youngsters with elite talent)....hope he proves me wrong.

Old
07-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

There's likely going to be McNeill, Miskovic & Godfrey battling for a Bears blueline spot (as well as a PP role) but if Orlov can really turn heads then there seems to be an opportunity there potentially. I want to say he and his agent were going to try to finalize next season's plans after development camp (late July) so the rest of the week could be big for him.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Didn't Varamov sign his entry level deal the week of development camp?

Old
07-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Didn't Varamov sign his entry level deal the week of development camp?
looks like he did, July 11, 07

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5536

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Get it done Mafki.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:19 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Here are the 7/15 scrimmage videos. I got a lot of Orlov since i figure he will be back in the US; back in the USSR. And he looked good - a little Gonchar-esque at times. I could see he was a good skater and pretty fiesty so I made sure to get a good look at him. The rest are goals and hits.

SDR collides with Finley; guess who wins

First goal today; I think it was Glass from Bruess

Garrett "The Missle" Mitchell

Some Orlov Love

Old
07-15-2009, 08:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

From your picture angles, you must have been sitting less than 15 ft away from me.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:32 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Here is the big Orlov hip check in the slot. You can just barely see it at the 22 second mark. Watching my camera screen I missed what happened at the time; I presume he went head over heels. Anyone know who got nailed?

I may not shoot much video tomorrow but if anyone wants an iso on someone let me know.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I realize they're obviously different in a lot of aspects, but I think it's early to judge any player a year after the draft.

Ovechkin and Backstrom are not the Normal for most players development cycle.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
From your picture angles, you must have been sitting less than 15 ft away from me.
Yeah i figured I was surrounded by obsessed hf posters. I moved to the front row for the second half - I was the guy drinking "coffee". I like to focus on the dmen more often than not. So all things equal I usually sit by the left defensemen by habit from the old Langway Stevens days... The hi my hf name is randy badge was MIA

Old
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Stu Macher

Orlov looks good....

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

Great job on the video, man.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:53 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

thanks. Orlov seems to have stolen the show today. He was very fluid and very active. You can see him jump up into the play in one of those 3 videos and get caught out of position. But he had coverage but I got a laugh out of it. In the one video you can see him at right point - goncharish. He also reminds me of a somewhat obscure former cap - Mikhail Tatarinov. Short feisty russian dman. He picked up a double minor in his first game against the Flyers.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
DefenseDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
.... I am going to catch some smallies in the river and then head over....
Hey RH, how did that part of your day go?? Potomac? Plastic? Whereabouts - give or take a half mile?

Thanks for the vids and scrimmage reports. Was it just me or was Carlson on the ice for two GA? Could have been the fog of numbers. Even so, he and Orlov were the D stars today. I wanted to like Gus, but did not see much to latch on to yet. Maybe I started watching him too late. Godfrey's game is all over the map, just like I saw it in Charleston in their finals. Watching Perrault skate and pick paths without the puck is a delight. Really fun to watch. Much creativity. SDR is a hoot. Hershey will love him. Combined with Pinizzotto, much body, edge and entertainment in Chocolatetown.

DefenseDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

I thought I read somewhere that Orlov prefers to play on his off side. I did see in one of the videos there that he was playing a little Right D, but does anyone know which side he spent most of his time on in Russia?

sorry if this has already been covered.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote