HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Make Late Push for Koivu (UPDATE: DUCKS Sign Koivu (1yr/$3.25M))

Old
07-02-2009, 09:10 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Depending on the price I dont think it would be the worst signing. Does anyone think the Rangers and Torts really like the idea of having Dubinsky on the wing?
If Koivu signed here, there may not be enough cap space to re-sign RFAs such as Dubinsky.

This is also a major reason why many of us do not want Koivu. Not only is he not a legit 1st line center, but if he signed here, it would result in him taking up valuable cap space for RFAs such as Dubinsky, Zherdev, etc.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:10 PM
NYR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR957 View Post
The inside pittsburgh site says Rangers were hot for Scuderi. offered a 4 year deal. interesting. Why not just sign Mara already.
scuderi is actually good family friends with my uncle. had local ties and would like to be a Ranger - plus if you watched him in the playoffs - he finally broke out

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Slats, put down the phone and walk away.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
If I were Koivu, I'd go to Anaheim to centre Selšnne. Those two (alongside Lehtinen) were nothing short of awesome for the Finnish national team. One of the best lines I've ever seen play.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Frankly I think if this happens, it opens up the possibility of Dubinsky to Ottawa once again.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:13 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Frankly I think if this happens, it opens up the possibility of Dubinsky to Ottawa once again.
Yeah thats what I was thinking..but they'd have to take on a contract like rosie's

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:13 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Yeah thats what I was thinking..but they'd have to take on a contract like rosie's
I gotta believe that there is a market for Rozy, outside of Ottawa.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
On the bright side, interest in Koivu is something I never expected. Hopefully this means the (edit: speculated) interest in Richards is complete bull and the talk about centers was just referring to Koivu.

I just hope Minnesota or NJ or Anaheim want him a lot more than us and prevent us from making a mistake.
I just can't imagine how we can afford him and still pay all our RFAs. We'd HAVE to move Rozy or Redden then and bring in a cheaper dman. And why would you give Koivu 3 years? It's like everyone else is willing to give a player X, so Sather just says "F it, I'll give him X + 1".

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
I've lost a lot of love for Heatley in the last couple of days. Fortunately, I don't see how the Rangers could afford him anymore.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:15 PM
NYROrtsFan

FIrst of all, no matter who they sign, the team would find a way to re-sign Dubinsky... Can't stand when people actually suggest that this would preclude the Rangers from doing so. THe Rangers would get rid of someone else. Dubinsky is someone they wouldn't give up for Dany Heatley.

Secondly, I like Koivu... I actually think he would work best with someone like Zherdev. Still think that Gaborik will eventually work best with Dubinsky. Koivu is a great character guy and will create some offense. Rangers can use that as well. Character guys seem to win no matter where they go...

Oh, and I know it's fun, but pls stop blaming Sather. Torts is the one who wants the center... Whatever trade Sather was attempting, clearly didnt' work out and Koivu is the backup plan.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:16 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I just can't imagine how we can afford him and still pay all our RFAs.
We can't. The only thing I can think is that Torts has given up on Zherdev and we only qualified him in an attempt to get something back for him.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:18 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I've lost a lot of love for Heatley in the last couple
of days. Fortunately, I don't see how the Rangers could afford him anymore.
Rozi and Zherdev out clears up 8.25 of projected cap space, but Rozi would need to be replaced by a rookie/UFA making ~1 million (and we would be taking a huge risk of losing Staal/Girardi next year if the cap goes down).

Old
07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
We can't. The only thing I can think is that Torts has given up on Zherdev and we only qualified him in an attempt to get something back for him.
I think we'll be trading rosie to free up space. I dont think were gona deal zherdev....wasnt ge born in slovakia where gabby is from? Not saying that has any connection or meaning, just curious

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
FIrst of all, no matter who they sign, the team would find a way to re-sign Dubinsky... Can't stand when people actually suggest that this would preclude the Rangers from doing so. THe Rangers would get rid of someone else. Dubinsky is someone they wouldn't give up for Dany Heatley.

Secondly, I like Koivu... I actually think he would work best with someone like Zherdev. Still think that Gaborik will eventually work best with Dubinsky. Koivu is a great character guy and will create some offense. Rangers can use that as well. Character guys seem to win no matter where they go...

Oh, and I know it's fun, but pls stop blaming Sather. Torts is the one who wants the center... Whatever trade Sather was attempting, clearly didnt' work out and Koivu is the backup plan.
Oh really? Were you in the room when Torts and Sather were discussing this?

And it was alluded to yesterday in the conference call that Dubinsky would most likely be the one to go if the Rangers acquired a first line center. It's not like we are making this stuff up out of our ass.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
anguscertified
HFB Partner

We'd love Dubinsky out West! (As would Mike Gillis.)

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
azrok22

Negative, Zherdev's from the Ukraine.

Old
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Did you watch him last year? He has the potential(and yes, I know he is older) to actually put that up IF he can stay healthy. He is a smaller guy who plays a very gritty game. He is better than what he gets credit for.

He hasnt been playing on the top-line in Montreal. If you watched him play I think yoju would understand where I am coming from.
Huh? Seriously man, just quit posting what you don't know about Koivu...you're embarrassing yourself.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Ugh. I shutter to think of the possibilities.

Sign Koivu.

Dubinsky + Roszival traded for Heatley

Actually, that wouldn't even open up enough space for Heatley.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Rozi and Zherdev out clears up 8.25 of projected cap space, but Rozi would need to be replaced by a rookie/UFA making ~1 million (and we would be taking a huge risk of losing Staal/Girardi next year if the cap goes down).

Yeesh! I wasn't doing my maths right! OK, I'm worried now...!

The Rangers would need to pick up more than just Heater's salary, though, that might price them out, still.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:24 PM
mrhockey193195

Koivu's one of my favorite players in the league today, but there's no need for him on this team.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
azrok22

I don't see any mathematical way to add Koivu (assuming ~$4m hit) and Heatley $7.5m). Even if you include Zherdev in the Heatley deal. You're roughly $2m over.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

And it was alluded to yesterday in the conference call that Dubinsky would most likely be the one to go if the Rangers acquired a first line center. It's not like we are making this stuff up out of our ass.
I just listened to the Sather conference call, and, Sather never inferred that. He was asked about a 1st line center, said Dubinsky might be able to handle the job, but the team would deal for one if the opportunity came up. He never alluded to Dubinsky being in a any deal.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

No... I've listened to Torts himself.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I don't know...the more I've read about the situation, it sounds like that, while Ottawa asked for Dubinsky, the Rangers wouldn't give him up...hence the "we couldn't even get a 13-goal scorer" quip from Murray.

And, if Heatley is so bent on coming to NY, Murray's lost a lot of leverage...if Sather wasn't about to hand over the kids before yesterday, with Gaborik in the fold, there's no reason for him to backtrack now.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
NYRSchrute217

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote