HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Make Late Push for Koivu (UPDATE: DUCKS Sign Koivu (1yr/$3.25M))

Old
07-02-2009, 09:33 PM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I don't know...the more I've read about the situation, it sounds like that, while Ottawa asked for Dubinsky, the Rangers wouldn't give him up...hence the "we couldn't even get a 13-goal scorer" quip from Murray.

And, if Heatley is so bent on coming to NY, Murray's lost a lot of leverage...if Sather was about to hand over the kids before yesterday, with Gaborik in the fold, there's no reason for him to backtrack now.
I feel so bad for Murray. That doesn't happen often with NHL GM's.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:34 PM
azrok22

Quote:
And, if Heatley is so bent on coming to NY, Murray's lost a lot of leverage...if Sather was about to hand over the kids before yesterday, with Gaborik in the fold, there's no reason for him to backtrack now.
Even with all his negatives, I'd still give up my original offer of Rozi, Zherdev, and a lower tier prospect for Heatley if Ottawa gets desperate enough. Even with the cap concerns for next year I'd probably prefer that over Koivu.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

no thanx

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:36 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Even with all his negatives, I'd still give up my original offer of Rozi, Zherdev, and a lower tier prospect for Heatley if Ottawa gets desperate enough. Even with the cap concerns for next year I'd probably prefer that over Koivu.
Yep. I think the offer pre-draft day was something like Rozsival, Zherdev, Potter and 1st for Heatley. I think Byers or some other lesser prospect might have been thrown in. I'd do that deal.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:36 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
I think the main problem with Heatley at this point is that Ottawa aren't letting him go without some extra salary dump players coming with him. They've said it publicly now, perhaps they are (belatedly) trying to strong-arm Heatley back into the fold.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:37 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Yep. I think the offer pre-draft day was something like Rozsival, Zherdev, Potter and 1st for Heatley. I think Byers or some other lesser prospect might have been thrown in. I'd do that deal.
Defense would be bone-thin, but we'd have two 40-50 goal scorers and wouldn't know the meaning of "scoring woes."

Old
07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I think the main problem with Heatley at this point is that Ottawa aren't letting him go without some extra salary dump players coming with him. They've said it publicly now, perhaps they are (belatedly) trying to strong-arm Heatley back into the fold.
My feeling is that Heatley is heading toward a holdout atm. None have really happened since the end of the lockout, but they weren't so uncommon before the new CBA.

I'm hardly in any rush to get him, but if they came to us with the above deal and the roster was as it is now, I'd certainly consider making the move.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:40 PM
broadwayblue

I do wonder how we will be able to re-sign the young guys if we add Heatley at this point. Assuming the cap stays the same (which is no guarantee) where are we going to find the cash to get Dubi/Cally/Staal/etc locked up within the next year or two?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:42 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I just listened to the Sather conference call, and, Sather never inferred that. He was asked about a 1st line center, said Dubinsky might be able to handle the job, but the team would deal for one if the opportunity came up. He never alluded to Dubinsky being in a any deal.
Leslie took away a rather different impression from that conference call....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Glad to pass the info along. Sort of left the impression that Dubinsky might be moved if they got a number one, but did not come out and say it.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Considering Ottawa accepted a deal of Penner, Cogliano and Smid, and still couldn't close the deal, a price has already been established. They've got a potentially ugly situation, and Heatley feels like Murray tried to force him into a deal, and a place he didn't want to go.

I think Murray HAS to deal him. I guess they could suspend him. But, if Heatley really wants to come to the Rangers, (the place he thought he was going to end up being traded to), there is no need for Sather to overpay.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
azrok22

You could add Heatley (while removing only Rozi and Z) without any change in our cap situation right now (actually would add $1m in space, but we'd need to replace Rozi). We'd have the same ~14m we have right now to resign Dubi, Cally, etc.

Next offseason we'll need to resign Staal and Girardi, and the only way to free up enough space to do that would be by moving Redden or Drury then.

Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Leslie took away a rather different impression from that conference call....
That was her impression. When I listened to it, that's not what I took from it.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Defense would be bone-thin, but we'd have two 40-50 goal scorers and wouldn't know the meaning of "scoring woes."
Yep. It'd take 6 goals to win games but with Heater and Gabs, it's actually possible

Old
07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Anything more than 2 years would be awful. Rather try and trade for Richards. Or sign Sundin, whatever hand he shoots with.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:45 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
I'd send ottawa that deal right now rosie, zherdev, and a lower tier prospect....i might even try to keep Zherdev out of the deal

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:45 PM
beastly115

Quote:
You could add Heatley (while removing only Rozi and Z) without any change in our cap situation right now (actually would add $1m in space, but we'd need to replace Rozi). We'd have the same ~14m we have right now to resign Dubi, Cally, etc.

Next offseason we'll need to resign Staal and Girardi, and the only way to free up enough space to do that would be by moving Redden or Drury then.
That's why I've been advocating a 1 year deal for Sundin (or anyone willing to take 1 year). Deal away Rozsival now if need be and next year Sundin comes off the books, use that cash to re-sign Staal and Girardi.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I'd send ottawa that deal right now rosie, zherdev, and a lower tier prospect....i might even try to keep Zherdev out of the deal
Rozsival, Korpikoski and Sauer...that's my offer.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'd love to trade Zherdev/Korps and Rozy (plus something minor perhaps) for Heater. Then sign a cheap stay at home veteran dman.

Ahh to dream, more likely we will sign Koivu and be done with it.

07-02-2009, 09:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

And while we have now seen that anything is possible, I'm not holding my breath that we will be able to move either of those guys. Both Redden and Drury have contracts that are arguably worse than Gomez.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vitto79

I think he goes to play with his Bro in Minnesota in the end

Honestly he was the Montreal Captain.........same deal , if healthy he will help

But I don't think their is cap space and at this pt trading Rozsival w/o getting a top 4 Dman back would not be very smart

so I vote no too.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
azrok22

Quote:
Z would definitely need to be moved (in that deal or elsewhere) for the $ to work. Can't afford Heatley's hit without doing it.

Heatley - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Higgins - Drury - Callahan
Avery - Anisimov - Korpikoski
Byers - Boyle - Brashear

= /drool

Staal - Sauer
Redden - Gilroy
Del Zotto - Girardi

= /ouch

Old
07-02-2009, 09:48 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

To simply add Koivu - full stop - makes no sense. Nor does it work under the cap, unless you want to lose one of your RFAs. If they do bring him on board, it's got to be part of a larger strategy.

Having said that, it better be one damn good larger strategy. I like Koivu. I root for him. But at THOSE terms, I don't want him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

no, no, and no.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 09:50 PM
azrok22

Quote:
And while we have now seen that anything is possible, I'm not holding my breath that we will be able to move either of those guys. Both Redden and Drury have contracts that are arguably worse than Gomez.
Well, by next offseason a buyout of Drury becomes somewhat realistic, as does sending Redden to Hartford if he has a bad year.

I wouldn't want to buyout Drury because I've been impressed by how he's handled this offseason (calling Gaborik BEFORE the free agency period began).

Redden would either return to respectability with the potent Heatley + Gaborik offense, or suck and become a Hartford casualty.

Note: A large drop in the cap would be DEVASTATING under this plan, it would be a big risk, which is why I'd still be hesitant.

Old
07-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I'd rather sign Comrie for one year then Koivu for multiple years....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote