HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what do you guys think of demitra?

Old
07-03-2009, 06:11 PM
bozo089

vCash: 500
what do you guys think of demitra?

he was a top 6 player for the Canucks. I guess we will see what happens next season, but what is your general impression of him. Also, worth resigning for less money after next season?

bozo089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

No. I think we are seeing the decline of his career here. He just doesn`t have the game anymore to be a consistent top 6 skill player in the NHL. I suppose if he is willing to come back for a steal at the end of the year he is worth a look. But god willing, we will have someone on the team pushing for his spot.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:15 PM
YogiCanucks

He's a tool. Needs to be with great players (Sundin) to take players away from him because he's too soft and lazy to do it himself. When he does have the room he's got some amazing passes all around the ice and a very accurate shot.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:16 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

He gets way to bad a rap around here. Good 2nd liner who can put up 60 points +. No reason to try and ship him out this year but also no reason to re-sign him at year's end.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Love him. He's oft. injured, but when he's on his game he's on. He produced nearly identical numbers this year as he did in Minny the year before, with more goals. He's part of the reason Kesler broke out... and he's got a good shot when he's using it. Wouldn't mind re-upping him for the same $ amount Sammy's got.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:17 PM
YogiCanucks

I HATE when he walks over the blue line and a rush and takes a shot from 55+ feet with NO traffic or anything. It's the #1 sign a team doesn't have confindence when they start doing that and this guy does it on a regular basis.

Old
07-03-2009, 06:17 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelKesler View Post
He gets way to bad a rap around here. Good 2nd liner who can put up 60 points +. No reason to try and ship him out this year but also no reason to re-sign him at year's end.
cute dog.

Old
07-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Defeatist*

People seriously underrate Demitra here. He's a solid second liner that would fit well with Kesler and Mats again next year.

Defeatist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:20 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

He's alright - can't carry a line, but at $4m for a 33 year old I don't think you should be expecting that. Slightly overpaid I'd say, I expect he'll be a whipping boy here in Vancouver this year.

If I had my druthers we'd ship him out for whatever we could get and spend a bit more money on a guy who might be more worth the cap hit than he is, but that's probably dirty pool and if we want to be able to attract UFAs might not be such a good idea.

That being said, if you accept that he'll be around next year he's a capable scoring line player who adds some polish to a line with a more "workmanlike" player in Kesler. Doesn't look out of place with the Sedins either.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambofgod View Post
People seriously underrate Demitra here. He's a solid second liner that would fit well with Kesler and Mats again next year.
Hes also currently injured torn something
as of the end of the playoffs hes out 4 months

i will be shocked if he plays a full season, the good thing is maybe we can put him on the long term ir or maybe trade him

we can do better than demitra for 4 mil

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
What would you want from the Rangers if they were to trade for him (to reunite Demitra-Gaborik)?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Canucker

I'm rather "meh" about Demitra, he's not bad when he's in the lineup but he seems to disappear a lot...especially in physical games. I like that he's versatile and can play wing or center and that he seems like a good team guy. I don't like how fragile he is.

Basically he's ok but I wouldn't have any issues with trying to replace him with a more physical, more durable top 6 player if one were to become available.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Defeatist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
What would you want from the Rangers if they were to trade for him (to reunite Demitra-Gaborik)?
Ryan McDonagh?

Defeatist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Callahan.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:31 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Quote:
What about:

Demitra / Raymond to NYR for Zherdev?

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:32 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Callahan or the rights to Higgins.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:34 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
What about:

Demitra / Raymond to NYR for Zherdev?
I have a feeling Raymond is going to have a year that surprises people on here. Also when he stops producing points he is still useable in other roles - Zherdev might as well go home.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:37 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Demitra fits in real well with the overall theme of this team.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:39 PM
THE SOVIET*

Send a message via AIM to THE SOVIET* Send a message via Yahoo to THE SOVIET*
you could do a lot worse for a 2nd line player, he puts up 50-60 points, seems good to me,

THE SOVIET* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

He gets a really bad rap, mostly for his playoff performance. But really, we were 5-1 with him in the lineup, 1-3 without. Hm.

Demitra is inconsistent, for sure. He has stretches where he's on fire, and stretches where he's nearly invisible. He doesn't often hurt the team when he's on the ice, though, and he's good for about 15-25 goals, 50-60 points in a year. He's a good guy in the dressing room, too.

That said, I think that when his contract is up it'll be time to give some of the younger guys like Grabner a shot. At this stage, Demitra is sort of a "hired gun".

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:45 PM
F A N

I think ever since Anson Carter, Canucks fans have been expecting something like 30 goals and 60 points out of every free agent acquisition who makes more than a million dollars.

20+ goals and 55+pts for $4M? No thanks!

In all seriousness, $4M is the price for 20+goals and 55+points. With that in mind, I think Demitra played to expectations last season. He missed some games due to injury, was a streaky scorer, but was ultimately productive. On the one hand, you could have gotten a better return for $4M. On the other hand, the Canucks were not as good without Demitra's playmaking. And for what it's worth, Demitra started off playing with Pyatt and Raymond on the second line. For all their talents, Raymond and Pyatt combined for 21 goals last season despite playing about 70 games each.

Demitra is a solid complementary player on the second line. Slightly overpaid like others have said, but with just one more year on his contract, should be decent value.

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:51 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Demitra fits in real well with the overall theme of this team.
ugh, that does not bode well for the theme of this team.

Old
07-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Shankill Butcher

I get frustrated with how he is completely unwilling to go into tough areas. Beyond that I'm okay with him but don't want him resigned.

Shankill Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:25 PM
YogiCanucks

You know... If Bernier and Demitra were one person... that person would be a superstar in this league. Bernier is like the anti-Demitra.

Old
07-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Whale

I thought that he was good for most of the year. Its not his job to lead the offence, he was brought in to be a secondary scorer and provide some veteran leadership, I though that he filled that role at a reasonable price. I don't see how he was overpaid, he is in the Sykora/Naslund/Comrie/Lang/Fedorov range, did any of those players outpreform him?

That said, I don't think that he should be brought back after this year, that should be Grabners spot by then

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote