HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are our chances of getting out of the East and why?

View Poll Results: What are our chances of getting out of the East?
0-25% 45 57.69%
26-50% 12 15.38%
51-75% 11 14.10%
76-100% 10 12.82%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2009, 12:53 AM
  #26
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,541
vCash: 500
I think that Montreal is geographically bound to an eastern position on the continent, but hey, you never know what can happen so... 0.000001% chances of getting out of the East.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:55 AM
  #27
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
???? look at montreals lineup and compare it to bostons.. boston is way more talented in every aspect of the game..
Really, now?

Boston in 09-10 was roughly the same team as Boston in 08-09, and at the end of 08-09 we said that the Habs were more talented in every aspect of the game.

They added nobody major in one year and added what, 12, 15 wins? I have a lot of trouble thinking they magically improved that much.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:33 AM
  #28
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
What do you mean by "getting out of the East"?
That was my initial question too. Relocating to Las Vegas? Zero. I'd have a really hard time putting a trip to the Cup finals above those odds.

Let's just worry about making the playoffs. Anything else is gravy.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
  #29
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The guy has consistently been one of the team's top two or three even-strength goal-scorers since he joined as a rookie. This year only Tanguay put up more goals in the icetime allotted. This year he was even headed for that magical 20-goal plateau, except that he got injured.

I'm not sure what you want more of him.
wow, how sad is that...

Anyways, I want him to be an imposing player more consistently. There are nights when he's on, but also too many nights where he would be completely invisible or just plain detrimental.

playing with lapierre seems to spark gui's desire to be imposing... if he can transfer that play to the top 2 lines, then that will be great. But his overall inconsistency with and without the puck throughout his early career tells me that I shouldn't bank on it happening. That's why the habs cant go into the season without an alternate plan.

Gui can find himself in the top 6, but it sure as heck shouldnt be handed to him.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:15 PM
  #30
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,116
vCash: 1340
If the new UFA line lives up to their potential,
If Plek can get back to being constant,
If Laps and Lats can get some offense and two-way going on,
If the Kosts and D'ago with 20 goals

AND

If the D can hold it's own with Markov and Spacek getting crutial PP points

IF someone can solve the Price enigma

We're going to be one of the best teams in the NHL.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:22 PM
  #31
Quagmier
Registered User
 
Quagmier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
wow, how sad is that...

Anyways, I want him to be an imposing player more consistently. There are nights when he's on, but also too many nights where he would be completely invisible or just plain detrimental.

playing with lapierre seems to spark gui's desire to be imposing... if he can transfer that play to the top 2 lines, then that will be great. But his overall inconsistency with and without the puck throughout his early career tells me that I shouldn't bank on it happening. That's why the habs cant go into the season without an alternate plan.

Gui can find himself in the top 6, but it sure as heck shouldnt be handed to him.
I don't know, I think as far as forwards go (or top 6) Gainey IS done. We will have next to no flexibility to maneuver once our RFAs are signed, and any cap space that we will have left will likely be spent on a Dman if anything.

Unless a trade involving Plekanec, the Kostitsyns, or another young guy is in the works...we've pretty much locked in our offensive core for the immediate future.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:29 PM
  #32
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I don't know, I think as far as forwards go (or top 6) Gainey IS done. We will have next to no flexibility to maneuver once our RFAs are signed, and any cap space that we will have left will likely be spent on a Dman if anything.

Unless a trade involving Plekanec, the Kostitsyns, or another young guy is in the works...we've pretty much locked in our offensive core for the immediate future.
No worries...the Rags owe the Habs a cap favour.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 03:50 AM
  #33
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
I'm pretty confident we will make the playoffs with the team we have right now, but not very far from there.

But who knows, maybe Gainey has plans to do some adjusting on the march trade deadlines? Which is why I also think hes done for the dealing this summer.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 06:30 AM
  #34
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
I voted slim chance...too many holes in team and Gainey is capped out. However I think we can as far as second round of playoffs.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:24 AM
  #35
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
wow, how sad is that...

Anyways, I want him to be an imposing player more consistently. There are nights when he's on, but also too many nights where he would be completely invisible or just plain detrimental.

playing with lapierre seems to spark gui's desire to be imposing... if he can transfer that play to the top 2 lines, then that will be great. But his overall inconsistency with and without the puck throughout his early career tells me that I shouldn't bank on it happening. That's why the habs cant go into the season without an alternate plan.

Gui can find himself in the top 6, but it sure as heck shouldnt be handed to him.
This is one of the reasons why I am so excited to see what Jacques Martin will do with this team and all our kids.

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:27 AM
  #36
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,364
vCash: 500
Slight chance of making the playoffs.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:10 AM
  #37
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
What do you mean? African or European East?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:24 AM
  #38
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
wow, how sad is that...

Anyways, I want him to be an imposing player more consistently. There are nights when he's on, but also too many nights where he would be completely invisible or just plain detrimental.

playing with lapierre seems to spark gui's desire to be imposing... if he can transfer that play to the top 2 lines, then that will be great. But his overall inconsistency with and without the puck throughout his early career tells me that I shouldn't bank on it happening. That's why the habs cant go into the season without an alternate plan.

Gui can find himself in the top 6, but it sure as heck shouldnt be handed to him.
It'll be interesting to see what will happen when a coach like Martin who asks his players to be responisble takes over the team.

Gui's stay in league has been wholly under Carbo. If you remember it was Carbo's recommendation that had Gui stay with the Habs when he should have gone back to the juniors.

If Gui's past history (with the Habs and with the national junior team) is any indication, he'll continue his lacklustre play and his floating about. How long will Martin put up with it? I don't know. How much say will he have in whether Gui gets top 6 time, bottom 6 or press box time? I still don't know. Gainey seems to impose his will on his coaches: (Price).

My guess is Gui changes nothing (a leopard can't change it's spots) and he'll be in the coach's and GM's dog house. That's my guess unless Martin believes him to be the next coming of Dany Heatley and will put up with more than usual.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
  #39
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,622
vCash: 500
My view is that Gomez isn't a big upgrade over Koivu, if at all. He scored 7 more points than Koivu in the past three years. Last year Gomez played 302 PP minutes and Koivu played 233 minutes on the PP. Gomez did play a bit more on the PK than Koivu so that helps. Gomez might also be a bit bigger but I doubt that he plays bigger.

Gionta isn't a big upgrade over Higgins, if at all. He scored only 6 more goals than Higgins in the past three years. Higgins also play 50% more minutes on the PK than Gionta despite fewer games. Someone will have to replace those minutes. Higgins is a significantly bigger player than Gionta and both skate well.

We didn't increase our overall size at forward with these two, all we did was increase our salary commitments. Don't look for significant long term improvement from Gionta and Gomez. Both are 30 years old and very few players continue to improve after they reach that age... especially those that rely on speed.

Cammalleri should be an upgrade over Kovalev. I like this signing. How many times last year did we see the rest of the team standing around watching Kovalev stickhandle the play to a standstill.

I also like the Spacek signing. For all the blame laid at the feet of guys like Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec and the Kostitsyns last year, we had only one defenseman who had any ability to make that first pass. Spacek will help both there and on the PP.

Komisarek was cut a lot of slack last year but the truth is that he had a brutal year. He handled the puck like a hand grenade and took himself out of the play far too often. He may be better this year but it won't take much to find someone who played better than he did last year.

Hal Gill should be okay as a 6th or 7th defenseman. I don't know what the pairings will be, but he could be a good complement to a smaller, quicker defenseman like Gorges. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Martin has in mind.

After looking at it more closely, we do have the potential to be better than last year but some of the moves were unnecessary for the short term and detrimental for the long term, both in terms of player assets and salary cap.

Our chances of coming out of the east and appearing in the Stanley Cup Final are virtually nil. We have improved, but not that much and we paid dearly to do so.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:02 AM
  #40
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,311
vCash: 50
I'll go with 50-50 because anything can happen. I think we're going to be an explosive offensive team and be a top 5 PP club again. Price is gonna obviously be key. He has the skill to be a top goalie in the league and I think at some point he will be but when? This year, next year...who knows. I really like the Spacek signing and think it's underrated. He is very solid.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:11 AM
  #41
knuck
On and off fan
 
knuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I think that Montreal is geographically bound to an eastern position on the continent, but hey, you never know what can happen so... 0.000001% chances of getting out of the East.
that'spretty much what i thought when i saw the title. I mean ,wth is this ?

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 11:51 AM
  #42
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
My view is that Gomez isn't a big upgrade over Koivu, if at all. He scored 7 more points than Koivu in the past three years. Last year Gomez played 302 PP minutes and Koivu played 233 minutes on the PP. Gomez did play a bit more on the PK than Koivu so that helps. Gomez might also be a bit bigger but I doubt that he plays bigger.
Gomez hasn't been the same player since he left New Jersey. Many elite players fizzle when they hit the Rangers for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Gionta isn't a big upgrade over Higgins, if at all. He scored only 6 more goals than Higgins in the past three years. Higgins also play 50% more minutes on the PK than Gionta despite fewer games. Someone will have to replace those minutes. Higgins is a significantly bigger player than Gionta and both skate well.
Gionta is an upgrade over Higgins for the single reason that he has scored 48 goals in a season before. That alone makes him better. It's actually not fair to compare them because they have different roles. Higgins is now a 3rd liner and a solid PKer, Gionta is a scorer. Gionta hasn't been the same player since Gomez left either. They've been playing together since they were 16 or something - they have the chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
We didn't increase our overall size at forward with these two, all we did was increase our salary commitments. Don't look for significant long term improvement from Gionta and Gomez. Both are 30 years old and very few players continue to improve after they reach that age... especially those that rely on speed.
That's completely wrong. For the first time in God knows how long, we have a former 39 goal scorer, 33 goal scorer and 48 goal scorer on our team AT THE SAME TIME. Just increasing our salary commitments? Incorrect. Also, neither Gionta nor Gomez are 30 years old. We're not asking them to improve either, we're asking them to rekindle the chemistry they showed in New Jersey. We also increased our durability. The players we picked up have missed very few games over their careers and play a hard-nose North American style game. They're not necessarily big in size, but they're strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Cammalleri should be an upgrade over Kovalev. I like this signing. How many times last year did we see the rest of the team standing around watching Kovalev stickhandle the play to a standstill.

I also like the Spacek signing. For all the blame laid at the feet of guys like Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec and the Kostitsyns last year, we had only one defenseman who had any ability to make that first pass. Spacek will help both there and on the PP.

Komisarek was cut a lot of slack last year but the truth is that he had a brutal year. He handled the puck like a hand grenade and took himself out of the play far too often. He may be better this year but it won't take much to find someone who played better than he did last year.

Hal Gill should be okay as a 6th or 7th defenseman. I don't know what the pairings will be, but he could be a good complement to a smaller, quicker defenseman like Gorges. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Martin has in mind.
Agreed. Cammalleri lead the league in PPGs this past season. He also played as a second line center in LA when Kopitar took centre duties on the first line, so Camm is versatile. Spacek is a good puck-mover. I agree with Komi too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
After looking at it more closely, we do have the potential to be better than last year but some of the moves were unnecessary for the short term and detrimental for the long term, both in terms of player assets and salary cap.

Our chances of coming out of the east and appearing in the Stanley Cup Final are virtually nil. We have improved, but not that much and we paid dearly to do so.
I'd argue these moves were necessary considering our injury situation last year, our leaders getting up there in age, our need to change the leadership on this team, and the need to play a grittier style game. It isn't coincidental that Gainey removed essentially the entire coaching staff, the captain and all the assistant captains, bar Markov. Gainey isn't done. We'd make the playoffs with this roster, but I believe we're two signings away from being a contender. A Jordan Stall type for the second line center position, and a Phaneuf type for our #2 defenseman position.

I wonder if Calgary is looking to trade Phaneuf. Cheaper options are Jack Johnson and Cam Barker.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:18 PM
  #43
Dr_Hook
Registered User
 
Dr_Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
I'd give us a 1% chance, and it is that Price catches fire for the playoffs. Besides that it is zero. The new forwards are an upgrade over what we had but we still are nowhere near the elite offensive squads in the east. Markov is a great great player but still has not shone in the playoffs. Hamrlik looked old last year and will be older, and our whole defence looks suspect. There is no way we win the East before 2013

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.