Sutter is a better coach than GM

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Sutter is a better coach than GM

Hey, Bravos and Huzzahs and all that for Coach Sutter (when he hasn't delegated responsibilities to his underlings which seems to be a regular occurance). Rah Rah and and all that. I remain unimpressed however.

Man, he got swiped on the Drury deal. Steve Reinprecht was damaged goods from the get-go and Rhett Warrener, while effective nonetheless so far, was deemed expendable in Buffalo due to his injury history and his boulevardiér off-ice demeanor. Remember the two-way contract offer?

The Simon, Kiprusoff and Nilson deals are equally brutal. None address the long-term future of the organization (let's pretend this is a possibility).

Sutter hasn't done anything more than a makeshift patch-over on this squad. It may spell short-term semi-success, but in giving away the future, Sutter has certainly set himself up for moderate success. And only thus. Can't see the Promised Land from here.

Old
03-29-2004, 04:30 AM
calgarylen13

Its kinda hard to say...obviously i reckon you're being a bit harsh on him. At the end of the day i look at one major fact, are we above .500 this year? Clearly, and we may be in our first playoff series in years.
So whether it be is coaching or GM work, i don't really mind as long as we're in the playoffs and playing a lot better. I'm really happy with how the team looks, they're more options.

My main bone to pick with what you said was about Reinprecht. He is great, when he's not injured, however i don't think its fair to judge him for being injury prone. I reckon he'll be much better after the off-season.

Maybe he isn't the best GM, but he's done a great effort in getting the team how he likes it and how he can make it operate. Much better than if there were another GM and he was providing players which Sutter as a coach couldn't operate with.

Maybe you have a point, i'm not certain either way, just from my perspective he's done a good enough job to get us into such a good position, and i'm happy with that.

Old
03-29-2004, 04:46 AM
ForeignFlame

BR, please take your tiresome negativity and baiting of Flames posters and go away.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:41 AM
CalgaryFan1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Hey, Bravos and Huzzahs and all that for Coach Sutter (when he hasn't delegated responsibilities to his underlings which seems to be a regular occurance). Rah Rah and and all that. I remain unimpressed however.

Man, he got swiped on the Drury deal. Steve Reinprecht was damaged goods from the get-go and Rhett Warrener, while effective nonetheless so far, was deemed expendable in Buffalo due to his injury history and his boulevardiér off-ice demeanor. Remember the two-way contract offer?

The Simon, Kiprusoff and Nilson deals are equally brutal. None address the long-term future of the organization (let's pretend this is a possibility).

Sutter hasn't done anything more than a makeshift patch-over on this squad. It may spell short-term semi-success, but in giving away the future, Sutter has certainly set himself up for moderate success. And only thus. Can't see the Promised Land from here.
First of all Sutter did not get swiped on the Drury deal. Calgary couldn't afford to keep Drury, who has a wopping 49 points this year (wipty doo), so they got back Reinprecht who still does have 30 points in 44 games and Warrener, who has a +9 and plays against all of the top forwards on the opposing team.

For Simon Calgary gave up nothing. Betts (Injury prone) McLennan (U.F.A) and Moore (To Be Determined) and got back the size and grit of Simon.

For Kiprusoff Calgary gave up a 2nd rounder, which everybody who is anybody said was the steal of the year, and probably was the best deal of the year. I don't think too many teams wouldn't give up a second rounder for a playoff birth.

...and the second rounder for Nilson (who was a 1st rounder and is still quite young), it's too hard to tell. That second rounder may never play in the NHL or could be a rookie of the year, who knows.

The bottom line is, if Sutter hadn't made those deals, would Calgary still be in the playoffs? You don't know and neither do I. Without Kiprusoff and Warrener I doubt it.

Old
03-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Flamin' Griz

Giving away the future? Are you freaking kidding me?

I'm about as big a Blair Betts fan as I know, and he is the only tangible asset that Sutter gave up in any of the deals you mentioned.

Reinprecht may have had an injury riddled year, but it's way too early to write him out of the equation. Once again, Chris Drury (who I am also a fan of) has 'underachieved' in Buffalo. I'm starting to believe all the people that say he overachieved in Colorado.

As for Warrener, sorry but I don't prefer a blueline where Montador and Ference play every night.

Kiprusoff doesn't address the future? Explain that one please.

As usual, you will probably just ignore all the questions thrown at you. You haven't addressed a single question I've posed to you in this forum yet. I don't expect that to change.

Old
03-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988
The bottom line is, if Sutter hadn't made those deals, would Calgary still be in the playoffs? You don't know and neither do I. Without Kiprusoff and Warrener I doubt it.

Exactly. For one thing, with Turek injured until late January, you would've been riding McLennan (with Sabourin as a backup - ack!) in November and December. That insanely successful run the Flames enjoyed (what was it... 14 wins in 18 games? 19 games?) would be gone, kaput, non-existent. McLennan's an alright goalie, but Kiprusoff would single-handedly steal games 2-1 and whatnot. A GAA under 1.50 doesn't lie.

Old
03-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Since when were moderators allowed to be trolls?
He doesn't moderate this board, and his posts usually illicit the proper responses from either Lanny or Saprykin Fan.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:

Set himself up for moderate success? Yeah, cause I'm sure fans are really clamouring for another rebuilding process.

We're in the game now, and I think it's safe to say the fans in Calgary gladly welcome the position the Flames are in now - after seven years of rebuilding, we're finally in the spot we, and a handful of other recently rebuilding teams want to be in.

The Simon, Kiprusoff and Nilson deals were just what the doctor ordered for this franchise - qualiy depth.

BR, if you don't like the moves Sutter makes because they obviously increase our playoff chances, fine. Maybe you should go cheer for Pittsburgh or Chicago or something. The rest of us will gladly take the present day Flames, thank you.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Fine, remain unimpressed. But hey, you just walked into it without even knowing it - Sutter delegates "responsibilities to his underlings which seems to be a regular occurance." Isn't that building for the future? He's teaching his coaching staff the ropes that will be handed to them down the road.

Sorry BR, but the rest of your 'looking towards the future' rant becomes seriously flawed after this.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:09 AM
A-Bonics

Quote:

This post actually made me laugh...First off, none of the deals that Sutter has made are "brutal". In fact there are even rumblings in the league that Sutter should be named executive of the year. Sutter has adressed our team's needs (goalie, big man) and added some additional scoring depth. The team is poised to make the playoffs for the first time in 8yrs, and many journalists around the league are arguing that the Flames could be this year's Anaheim and make a deep playoff run. Much of the team's success is derived from players acquired by Sutter. Here's my question to you BRman, what exactly would you have had Sutter do? Because frankly, I can't make sense of anything that you said.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:31 AM
looooob

wow. perhaps your trollest post thus far, and that's saying something!

got swiped in the Drury deal huh? yup Buffalo sure is riding Chris Drury and his 3 Million dollar salary all the way into the playoffs

Simon deal? well I"m fencesitting on this one...but we didn't exactly GUT the team here, an injury prone 3rd line Center and a former 5th round pick (DRAFTED UNDER GM DARRYL SUTTER), that is looking pretty good

OOOOH, the Kiprusoff deal. a second rounder for a goalie in his early prime who has carried the team farther than we've been in 10 years. wow, I sure would like a re-do on that one. we could have had another Brian McConnell or Steve Begin with that 2nd rounder

Nilson. again, a tough one....while other teams were dealing 2nd rounders for first liners in their 30s, Sutter deals a 2nd rounder for a guy who has been anchoring our 2nd line (admittedly possibly playing one line higher than he should) who is only 26.

Hmmm I didn't see Sutter trade our 04 or 05 1st rounder, or any of our top what? 10 or 12 prospects? he hasn't exactly gutted the team, but given what he had to start with he did what he had to ....if you haven't noticed the local fans seem to be enjoying the success this team is having...something I don't think we'd be seeing if you replaced Warrener, Reinprecht, Kiprusoff, Simon, Nilson, Niemenen, Oliwa with Drury, McLennan, Morgan, Begin and some draft picks

Old
03-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I think that has been one of the best deals we've seen in Calgary in years (along with the Kiprusoff deal.) Drury this year has a PPG of 0.68 while Reinprecht has a PPG of 0.66 while playing most of the season with an injured shoulder. Personally I think that Reinprecht is the best pure passer I've seen on the Flames in the past 8+ years. A healthy Reinprecht isn't a step down from Drury IMO. Desipte your attempt to devalue Warrener, he's been a key on the blueline for us and a great player to pick up in the two for one deal. Plenty of players have been deemed expendable in one place only to become a core player elsewhere so that argument of yours holds no water at all.

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong. Nilson and Kiprusoff are both deals that address the long-term future of the organization. How could even suggest otherwise? Kiprusoff gives us a legitimate starting NHL goalie who's in his 20's. Sutter is counting on Nilson being a core player for years and has said as much.

Quote:
Anybody who thinks giving up a 2nd rounder for a starting goalie is "giving up the future" is out to lunch IMO. Same goes for anybody who thinks giving up a 2nd rounder for a 26 year old forward who can play all 3 positions is "giving up the future". A 2nd round pick is basically a roll of the dice at getting a player. You aren't assured of getting a player with that pick let alone a good player. "Drafting" Kiprusoff and Nilson with 2nd round picks is extremely smart management. The failure to acknowledge that on your part is extremely shortsighted.

personal attack removed

Last edited by Buffaloed: 03-29-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old
03-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
There was absolutely no merit to any of the arguements BR made, as usual. Yeah, the Kiprusoff trade has really hurt Calgary a lot hahaha. Even if he isn't the next Marty Brodeur, name the last time we had a better goalie than Kipper? Not Turek, not Vernon, not Fuhr, not Wregget, and definitely not Kidd!!

And Sutter hasn't brought in any 40 goal scorers, but the likes of Nieminen, Simon, and Nilson are a vast improvement over the Nichols, Sloans, and Begins that were playing here last year.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
He doesn't moderate this board, and his posts usually illicit the proper responses from either Lanny or Saprykin Fan.
Whether he moderates this forum or any other, one would think he should be more concerned with coming up with intelligent debates, rather than the occasional drive by intended to ilicit responses. I've never seen this guy offer one bit of praise towards the Flames, or one shred of intelligent insight.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
There was absolutely no merit to any of the arguements BR made, as usual.
Then people should simply discuss his arguments on merit as you have chosen to do
or ignore them.

There's no need for personal attacks as others have chosen to do, and they won't be tolerated.

Old
03-29-2004, 03:02 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
There was absolutely no merit to any of the arguements BR made, as usual. Yeah, the Kiprusoff trade has really hurt Calgary a lot hahaha. Even if he isn't the next Marty Brodeur, name the last time we had a better goalie than Kipper? Not Turek, not Vernon, not Fuhr, not Wregget, and definitely not Kidd!!

And Sutter hasn't brought in any 40 goal scorers, but the likes of Nieminen, Simon, and Nilson are a vast improvement over the Nichols, Sloans, and Begins that were playing here last year.
oh come on, Kipper is only hovering around the NHL record for GAA in a season right now. What a total joke that guy is.

And they should have never gotten rid of Blake Sloan. That guy was AWESOME!

Old
03-29-2004, 10:46 PM
CaramonFLM

Maybe BR can tell us what Sutter has to do and what Trades he should be making?

Kipprisoff Deal - Arguably the deal of the Year, acquiring a franchise goalie, the best one since Mike Vernon who is only 27 and still has some upside. On Pace for setting a Goals against average modern Day record. Also has an amazing Sv%.

Simon Deal - adds some depth and could maybe be considered a rental player but is making a case to be resigned by Sutter in the off season, gives Conroy, Iginla a lot more room to move on the ice, fits pretty well and helps the PP out.

Nilson Deal - 2nd round pick for a guy who was a former 1st rounder, has some touch around the net, works for me and he is going to be an important player down the road, being that he is only 26 this is NOT a rental player (Ok Bike?).

Nieminen Deal - This guy is quickly becoming a fan favorite, lays out some big hits and is a playoff gamer, has fit in well playing on the team so far and has very respectable numbers.

Reinprecht deal - Awsome Deal imo for a guy who seemingly wanted a lot more money than he was worth for a 1.5 million dollar player who will kick start our PP and has played awsome while injured. Possesses some absolutely sick skills and has more potential. Warrener has played a huge role as well.

So if Sutter is such a bad GM I guess this must speak Volumes about his Coaching ability. Btw are you still on the Greg Gilbert bandwagon about unfairly he was treated here? Because if Sutter has actually made the team worse with his moves, it really says something about Gilbert.

GG Troll Bikeman.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Hitman*

Who have been the Flames best players for the past month and a half? Who's Calgary's MVP? Who's Calgary's workhorse on defense? Where are we in the standings compared to the last seven years?

We all know with Calgary's absolutely amazing draft record that those picks would have been our next superstars.

You're right, the Flames would be much better off by missing the playoffs again. That's the key to the Promised Land. Its obviously done wonders for us these past 7 years. Not to mention the attendance would be even higher if we were sitting in our usual 10-12 spot.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Unbeliveable. BR's posts get more entertaining every time out. Just when you think his posts can't get any more outrageous

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
03-29-2004, 11:51 PM
kruezer

Just to get in my 2 cents...He's been a much better GM than Coach IMO, I am not always completely confident in his coaching moves (line-combos, player selection at key times) but as a GM I can't complain about any of his moves. I mean he's built this team for success over the next 5 years or so, and really thats quite good enough for me after the gong show that was the last 7. Oh and the future, its looking pretty solid as is, and we have 5 years to add to it.

Old
03-30-2004, 12:01 AM
CaramonFLM

BR will have the last laugh when Craig Button becomes NHL commisioner.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:

What a complete and total troll. Seriously, there is nothing here but a bunch of obvious garbage that is designed to enflame Calgary fans. I'm not sure how HockeysFuture, the place that supposedly does not tolerate insults, lets this activity take place? Allow me to punch holes in Mr. Dowbiggen's diatribe, proving him wrong yet again, and showing how he tries to needle those fans of the team that his infamous brother loves to hate.

Reinprecht does indeed appear to be damaged goods. His shoulder has not been very good and will require surgery in the off-season. But the trade also brought the Flames Rhett Warriner, so the balance of the deal swung heavily in favor of the Flames at that point. Only someone wanting to bait the fans of a team would point out the obvious insult of a two way deal the Sabres made to the Warriner as an indicator of the players position in the league. It is obvious to anyone that Warriner is a top four defenseman on any team in the NHL (ANY TEAM) and that te Sabres made a huge error in their negotiations with the deal. Regier made a mistake and his team paid for it by having to ship out a quality player. Warriner has proven to be an excellent addition for the Flames and has been a leader on a team that has seen their goal differential make a 180 from the past few years. Without even looking at Drury's play in Buffalo this deal has been a very solid one for the Flames just from the acquisition of Warriner. The addition of a repaired Reinprecht next season (or when play resumes) will really push the deal over the top in the Flames favor, and that's not even going out on a limb in saying that. After all, where's the Drury-lead Sabres? Out of the playoffs. The Flames? In the playoff hunt, looking like a lock.

Been brutal? Interesting. How so? Nilson has 5 goals in 11 games (a 38 goal pace) and has been a threat almost every time he's been on the ice. He's been very solid and has been impressive at both ends. Not a bad pickup for a second round draft pick that would likely take five to seven years to develop to the same level of play. Add in his age (26 years of age) and it completely blows holes in the the statement that the long term goals of the team were not addressed.

Chris Simon is a player that could be considered short term, on the surface. But when you consider Sutter's statements that Simon was a player that he was trying to get during the off season, and has pursued up until the trade was consumated, there may be more to the situation that the small minded may see. Especially when you consider that Simon admitted to talking with the Flames in the past and has connections in the city of Calgary. Maybe not a long term solution, but he may be here longer than the 15 games someone is suggesting.

Kiprusoff was a bad aquisition? Again, only someone who is trying to start a riot makes this comment. Tell me any GM in the league that would not give up a second round pick in a draft that may or may not happen (no CBA, no draft) for a goaltender that is leading the league in almost every category possible and has backstopped a team into a playoff position? Kiprusoff is still young and buys the team lots of time to develop their other goaltending prospects and provides a very cheap alternative to the expensive anchor that Button acquired, Roman Turek.

So these players were all bad acquisitions? I'm not sure how anyone can see that. Nilson is young and has done nothing but play solid and add some scoring to a team that needed it. Kiprusoff has been all universe since his acquisition. Simon has played his role very effectively. For a team whose fans haven't tasted the playoffs in seven seasons, the acquisition of a player that gets the team into the playoffs seems like a good investment. Afterall, which of the Flames top prospects went to another team in any of these acquisitions?

As I said earlier, where did the Flames lose any of their top prospects? Has the team lost a first round pick? Has the team given away a player that is on radar for any team? I just don't see this as a sell out of the future? Non e of the future has been given up? Seems to me that the person making this statement is just doing his best to encite a riot, something he has failed to do.

I'm shocked that HockeysFuture doesn't clue into the trollish behaviour of Bicycle Repairman. Mark Fischel saw through his charade. Really, anyone with an IQ over 80 should be able to see what he's trying to do. The guy comes on with an avatar that supports a person that most Flames fans wish had never existed, and is considered one of the worst GM's of the past decade for any team (Craig Button), and then makes comments that inflamatory in nature and conflictatory to the success of the team. Gee, what do you think the result of this is going to be? Its pretty obvious to me. But this is accepted and even encouraged (see Buffalo's post) for certain posters. Now I believe that HF may want to try and become more accepted by the media as a source, and by bowing down to Bruce Dowbiggen's little brother that they believe they gain some acceptance in some strange twisted way, but I think this goes the other way. Allowing a guy to make inflamatory comments like this on the boards, while proudly displaying his moderator badge, makes the place look Mickey Mouse. I know I was hammered when I was a Mod for doing less, and it appears FDW was stripped of his moderation duties because he called BR on this post. Doesn't make sense to me. Its okay to start a riot as long as you wear the moderator badge. I think this whole action should be seriously looked at and some action taken. If FDW lost his moderation rights for answering the obvious troll, then I think the original troll should be bounced as well. An eye for an eye, so to speak.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Phanuthier*

I have spoken out loadly about both Calgary Flames board mod's, but I have to ask HF this, how exactly is BR allowed to be a mod, much less, get taken off the ban list?

Old
03-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Regardless, I think that BR at least livens things up on the board. If we didn't have any saying outlandish appearing on the board it'd be a boring place. I just wish BR would more logic, content, and reasoning into his arguements. But whatever.

Old
03-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Hawkalyzer

hes moderator of the hawks board, which makes no sense when he spends all his time here

not that this is a bad place or anything

Closed Thread