HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign Samuelsson

Old
07-03-2009, 03:04 PM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
I have no problem at all being coherent enough to see that the Canucks are viewed internationally as a real Team Sweden. It does not mean that I have to be proud of it.

yeah why would we want th

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
I have no problem at all being coherent enough to see that the Canucks are viewed internationally as a real Team Sweden. It does not mean that I have to be proud of it.
You mean the Red Wings.

Zetterberg
Lidstrom
Holmstrom
Franzen
Ericsson
Kronwall

Luckily none of those players are on the Canucks because geez they must SUCK with all those swedes.

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:07 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
yeah why would we want th
Is this the opposite of being a puck bunny?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:07 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
You mean the Red Wings.

Zetterberg
Lidstrom
Holmstrom
Franzen
Ericsson
Kronwall

Luckily none of those players are on the Canucks because geez they must SUCK with all those swedes.
Ya cuz I heard if we sign all the same nationalities as Detroit does we will win cups.

Just because Detroit does it one way, doesn't mean we should follow that path, even on the off chance that we can follow that path.

Consider Detroits history since their first cup. Consider the differences in the organizations.

Old
07-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
Really though - if this is the bold moves that Gillis was going to make to put together a winning team, I'd have rather seen them blow it up and start over. Luongo could be dealt for a Kings Ransom. Picks and players. Start with Schneider, Edler, Kesler and Burrows and build from there. Follow the BlackHawks plan. Be bad for 2 or 3 years to get REALLY good down the road.
I think you're making that process sound like sure thing with absolutely no variables or possibility of failure. The reality is that even the quality of players at top of the draft can be unpredicable from year to year and this franchise has traditionally drafted quite poorly. One year you might see most 1st round draft picks go on to have NHL careers, and another year (the Sedin's draft year for example) you'll see many players struggle to make an impact (even players selected 1st overall). Whether our dive for 5 season would coincide with a bad draft year is impossible to predict with 100% certainty but considering the quality of players in recent drafts I wouldn't be suprised if there will be one of those downturns soon. In fact THN suggested that scouts project that the upcoming 2011 draft could be one of the worst since 1999.

The teams greater emphasis on drafting and young player development are a step forward for the franchise but not to the degree that I would be willing to see Gillis blow the team up following a season that they were arguably one of the Top 10 if not Top 8 teams in the league.

And finally at this point I think it's very unlikely Gillis (or Aquilini for that matter) want to or will go that route.

Last edited by Tb0ne: 07-03-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Just found out about this and I'm not reading through 14 pages to see if this has already been posted:

A) Probably a bit more than I would have preferred paying but it's not outrageous. I've always wanted to see a shooter on the Sedin line so it will be interesting to see how he does. If he lights it up Carter style then it will look like a bargain. If he bombs it's still a very trade friendly contract.

B) This seems like a precursor to a trade for a defenseman.

C) Have a bunch of Red Wings fans said he's garbage yet? That's usually how it works when a player leaves a team, especially on HF and especially when said player signs with the Canucks. It always amazing me how terrible a player gets when he puts on a Canucks jersey.
A) Echoing my opinion.
B) Agreed.
C) It's split. Half of them like what he brings and wish him well. Felt he's a good tweener and recognized he played well with the Sedins during the Olympics. The other half hated him and wanted him gone.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
digger18

Here we go again with the Red Wings comparisons.....In case you havnt noticed by now, our core group does not even come close to the level of talent and grit, showed by that list of Detroit players posted.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tomas W

Gonna be interesting to follow him in Canucks. He's a bit of a hometown player for me as he played for 'my' team in Sweden and beeing a native of a town just 10 km from were I live.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Just found out about this and I'm not reading through 14 pages to see if this has already been posted:

A) Probably a bit more than I would have preferred paying but it's not outrageous. I've always wanted to see a shooter on the Sedin line so it will be interesting to see how he does. If he lights it up Carter style then it will look like a bargain. If he bombs it's still a very trade friendly contract.

B) This seems like a precursor to a trade for a defenseman.

C) Have a bunch of Red Wings fans said he's garbage yet? That's usually how it works when a player leaves a team, especially on HF and especially when said player signs with the Canucks. It always amazing me how terrible a player gets when he puts on a Canucks jersey.
He's born in Europe, so of course there is some "fans" who thinks he's garbage, and completely forgeting who stopped the Hawks...but alas...

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Zorbane

Where are the mods

Old
07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Ya cuz I heard if we sign all the same nationalities as Detroit does we will win cups.
4 Swedes and a Finn on a 23-man roster doesn't exactly make us some sort of 'Team Scandinavia'. Honestly, you'd think we had 12 Swedes on our roster by the way some of these people are reacting.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
4 Swedes and a Finn on a 23-man roster doesn't exactly make us some sort of 'Team Scandinavia'. Honestly, you'd think we had 12 Swedes on our roster by the way some of these people are reacting.
If Hansen sticks with the team and Froshaug makes an appearance you may be on to something! Sweden, Finland, Denmark, and Norway.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
If thats your definition of tough, then its pretty lousy.
C'mon, you and I both know that there's toughness and there's toughness. The Sedins were never going to be the reincarnation of the Broad St. Bullies.

But think back. Remember the debates about whether they should come over or whether they needed an additional year in the SEL to get some bulk and muscle? The knock was that they would come over, get run, and fold. Remember the cretins calling them "sisters" -- alas, there are still tough-guys here at HF typing on their mom's and dad's internet connection dime that use this childish slur -- implying that they weren't manly?

Well, I think they proved then, and have proved since, that they are plenty tough for the rough and tumble of the NHL, without having to risk their knuckles (and our season) in fights.

Are you sure it's just your glasses you've lost?

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
If Hansen sticks with the team and Froshaug makes an appearance you may be on to something! Sweden, Finland, Denmark, and Norway.
Vancouver Vikings.

Old
07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
Vancouver Vikings.
I like it.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:21 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
C'mon, you and I both know that there's toughness and there's toughness. The Sedins were never going to be the reincarnation of the Broad St. Bullies.

But think back. Remember the debates about whether they should come over or whether they needed an additional year in the SEL to get some bulk and muscle? The knock was that they would come over, get run, and fold. Remember the cretins calling them "sisters" -- alas, there are still tough-guys here at HF typing on their mom's and dad's internet connection dime that use this childish slur -- implying that they weren't manly?

Well, I think they proved then, and have proved since, that they are plenty tough for the rough and tumble of the NHL, without having to risk their knuckles (and our season) in fights.

Are you sure it's just your glasses you've lost?
I think you are completely mis-interpreting my argument. I'm a fan of the Sedins, I wanted them resigned, and I think they are top line players.

That said, I think that when you have a couple players like the Sedins, you have to be frank about what is needed in the top 6 to create a proper mix.

Right now we have

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kesler Demitra Samuelsson

To me, that simply isn't a great mix.

The argument is if we can really label the Sedins as "tough players". I see them as solid first line players willing to take immeasurable abuse to make a play. I also see their willingness to work in the rough areas to produce scoring chances.

But they aren't aggressive players, while their net presence is decent it isn't overwhelming for goaltenders, and their physical presence is near zero. These are things that need to be made up by the remaining players in your top 6.

Acknowledging the flaws of your team and players doesn't make you a bad fan. It makes you a fan with the ability to think critically about your team and the balance it needs to win.

Old
07-03-2009, 03:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
This is a good signing IF his primary role is as a 3rd line depth scorer. At this point I wouldn't mind bringing Sundin back unless we can get Tangay for $4M (which is what I would assume it would cost to bring Mats back).

The bonus with Samuelsson is that at least he is versatile. Unlike Pyatt, Samuelsson could be moved up to the Sedin line short-term and actually be able to do something.

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) -Burrows (2)
Demitra (4) - Sundin (4) - Kesler (1.75)
Samuelsson (2.5) - Hodgson (0.875) - Bernier (2)
Hordichuk (0.775) - Johnson (1.15) - Rypien (0.55)

Offense: $31.8M

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:22 PM
P Dog

The argument is if we can really label the Sedins as "tough players". I see them as solid first line players willing to take immeasurable abuse to make a play. I also see their willingness to work in the rough areas to produce scoring chances.

But they aren't aggressive players, while their net presence is decent it isn't overwhelming for goaltenders, and their physical presence is near zero. These are things that need to be made up by the remaining players in your top 6.

Acknowledging the flaws of your team and players doesn't make you a bad fan. It makes you a fan with the ability to thinkcritically about your team and the balance it needs to win.

AMEN !!!

Last edited by P Dog: 07-03-2009 at 03:28 PM.
P Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Wanna know what scares me a bit.
People on CP are giving us serious props on this signing, saying its a very solid and good move.

Yet people on HF are saying its Average and overplayed?.

When our rivals are giving us props, he must be doing something right.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
This is a good signing IF his primary role is as a 3rd line depth scorer. At this point I wouldn't mind bringing Sundin back unless we can get Tangay for $4M (which is what I would assume it would cost to bring Mats back).

The bonus with Samuelsson is that at least he is versatile. Unlike Pyatt, Samuelsson could be moved up to the Sedin line short-term and actually be able to do something.

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) -Burrows (2)
Demitra (4) - Sundin (4) - Kesler (1.75)
Samuelsson (2.5) - Hodgson (0.875) - Bernier (2)
Hordichuk (0.775) - Johnson (1.15) - Rypien (0.55)

Offense: $31.8M
It also helps that he can hit the cross ice one timer on the PP (He's burned us alone 3 or 4 times in the last two years with it) better than any of our other RH forwards.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Dog View Post
AMEN !!!
HALLELUJAH!!! PRAISE THE LORD WE GOT Samuelsson.

But yes, I do agree with your post I wish we had a Getzlaf type player in our top 6, but those are extremely hard to come by.

Old
07-03-2009, 03:28 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
When our rivals are giving us props, he must be doing something right.
Are you sure they arent just licking their chops at the prospect of watching their team drive us through the boards in 6 games next year?

As of right now.....Physical teams like Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago and Calgary are going to knock our roster around like a bunch of little girls next year.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton View Post
It also helps that he can hit the cross ice one timer on the PP (He's burned us alone 3 or 4 times in the last two years with it) better than any of our other RH forwards.
Yeah, he can and will help the powerplay, and I like that he has good size and actually has some grit.

Old
07-03-2009, 03:30 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23

Starts the play, and finishes it. Welcome to Vancouver, Mikael. More of this please.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Are you sure they arent just licking their chops at the prospect of watching their team drive us through the boards in 6 games next year?

As of right now.....Physical teams like Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago and Calgary are going to knock our roster around like a bunch of little girls next year.
Not everybody wins with toughness, just look at detroit. There not exactly "Tough" in any sense.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote