HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign Samuelsson

Old
07-03-2009, 12:19 PM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
If you think 1.5 million extra dollars for Samuelsson is going to make a material difference over what Hansen brought to the table, you might not be insane, but you clearly know nothing about hockey.
what exactly did hansen bring last year

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:20 PM
west in the east

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Softer...

Lets trade Kaberle for Bieksa too!
3rd and 4th lines arent soft, thats for sure. Johnson and Rypien are battlers. Burrows and Kesler soft? Sedins, while theyre not going to dish a big hit can battle through most anything.

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
what kind of line-up is that

sedin-sedin-samuelsson
burrows-kesler-demitra
raymond-hodgson-bernier
wellwood-johnson-rypien

i wouldn't mind that. demitra really sticks out now, but you can roll with that. average top six but fantastic top nine.
Didn't detriot fans said if he was expected to play on a top 6 role, then its just setting yourself for disappointment.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
We need to move Demitra somehow.

He's good in the locker room, can put up 50+ pts, is a good playmaker... but boy, he's blocking up our young players now.
Agreed. Flip Demitra + extra for a good defenseman and I think we're alright.

People posting projected lines are wasting their time. Do you not know AV by now? Anyway, I agree that Samuelsson is a Pyatt replacement. I wouldn't expect first-line minutes.

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BedBeats

Quote:
If you think 1.5 million extra dollars for Samuelsson is going to make a material difference over what Hansen brought to the table, you might not be insane, but you clearly know nothing about hockey.
I KNOW BECAUSE HANSEN IS A PROVEN 40 POINT PLAYER!!!

Come on now.

BedBeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
what kind of line-up is that

sedin-sedin-samuelsson
burrows-kesler-demitra
raymond-hodgson-bernier
wellwood-johnson-rypien

i wouldn't mind that. demitra really sticks out now, but you can roll with that. average top six but fantastic top nine.
Lawl, and who does the forechecking on that first line?

We already saw how useless the Sedins can be when Burrows forecheck couldn't get established against Chicago.

Softer than butter. That first line could be the softest first line this side of La Belle Province.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Ok, guy....listen up....take note. If Toronto comes to you and asks for Bieksa (in a package) in return for Kaberle.....you don't do it? I can't believe some people can actually figure out how to get dressed in the morning. Really.
Ok listen "guy" and how is that improving the depth of the position you are looking to build up ?

go back and play your ****ing nhl09

people like you are the fools who wanted to pay Gaborik 500k a game

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
sdbullet

Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
Quote:
Sure - but the LAST thing the Canucks needed to be spending money on was a player to play with the Sedins. Burrows showed that he can be that guy - this is totally unnecessary. Given the cap hit here, and the fact that cap space is so precious right now, I'd say that this is easily the WORST signing by the Canucks since the inception of the cap.

How much chemistry did Burrows show with the Sedins in the Chicago series, the only consistent line for us in that series was the Sundin line.

sdbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:22 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Softer...

Lets trade Kaberle for Bieksa too!
One of the major reasons the Canucks lost in the playoffs was so called tough players running around like mouth breathing cavemen and taking dumb penalty after dumb penalty after dumb penalty. The Canucks got exposed by the Hawks for having a lack of talent and skill.

What four teams made it to the Conference finals? None of them have any more toughness or size in their lineup than the Canucks.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Agree with other comments. The price is steep, but I like what he can bring to this team. 500k too much IMO. This should make it much more likely to trade Raymond. With Demitra and Sedin, I am not sure Raymond fits to be honest. I do not want to see Hansen moved as he is a truly 'moneypuck' kind of player. I would have preferred going after a guy like Knuble for the same dollars or a trade for Kobasew, also making the same kind of money.

I think we could see Raymond or Grabner moved to Nashville, Toronto, LA, or Atlanta. Personally, I'd like to sign Morris, Eminger, or Boynton as a UFA and try to pick up Blum from Nashville in a Raymond package to help build some org depth on the back end. Grabner may be ready to supplant Raymond anyways and has better natural goal scoring abilities. Hansen looks like a great young player IMO. Raymond has a lot of value to a cash constrained team like the Predators.

Pretty safe to say one of Hansen, Grabner or Raymond will be traded in the next week. I guess Burrows is a possibility as well, but there would have to be a lot coming back the other way to make up for the fan reaction.
If Gillis deals Burrows and replaces him with Samuelsson than he is even a bigger idiot than I have already called him.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Samuelsson led the Wings in minor penalties with 25. All while playing a pillowy soft, non aggressive game.

We need to get away from being at the top of the league in minor penalties. This signing doesn't help us do that.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
If Gillis deals Burrows and replaces him with Samuelsson than he is even a bigger idiot than I have already called him.
Don't worry, that's not going to happen.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Samuelsson led the Wings in minor penalties with 25. All while playing a pillowy soft, non aggressive game.

We need to get away from being at the top of the league in minor penalties. This signing doesn't help us do that.

Someone needs to replace Ohlund's horrible minor penalties!

Though all the more reason to keep Wellwood around. He can mentor Samuelsson in the ways of the peacemaker.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zorbane

Quote:
what exactly did hansen bring last year
A lot of popcorn for Rob Davison

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pitseleh

Quote:

Many of those were offsetting. The actual number was 14 that put his team down a man. He also drew 12 penalties.

Per game, its about the same or better than most Canuck forwards.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lard_Lad

Must be something else coming, tying up that amount of money for three years for a guy that age doesn't make a ton of sense when we're already deep at forward.

And sucks to be Grabner right now. We ever going to see that kid on the big team?

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by west in the east View Post
3rd and 4th lines arent soft, thats for sure. Johnson and Rypien are battlers. Burrows and Kesler soft? Sedins, while theyre not going to dish a big hit can battle through most anything.
I didn't see Johnson play very physical last year, I like what he brings to the fourth line, but to call him physical is laughable.

Rypien plays like 6-7 minutes a night, so thats pretty much a limited roll.

Burrows and Kesler can't carry the physical load themselves,and neither are truly physical grinders. Kesler has never been that physical, and Burrows is undersized. Both aren't afraid to get their noses dirty however.

The Sedins, while able to take punishment and work well in the tough area's, aren't physical, their forecheck isn't great because thats not what they rely on for offence.

I like the Sedins, but if you don't think that having them, plus Demitra and Samuelsson doesn't make our top 6 soft, you're optimistically delusional.

Old
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Lawl, and who does the forechecking on that first line?

We already saw how useless the Sedins can be when Burrows forecheck couldn't get established against Chicago.

Softer than butter. That first line could be the softest first line this side of La Belle Province.
i think its pretty obvious that with all the top nine guys we have those lines will be blenderized pretty fast to find some chemistry.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:26 PM
VanEric

Quote:

He also draws a lot of penalties.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:26 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

lol there is a lot of Hansen fan boys around here...he's a marginal prospect.. don't get all pissy..it's a fact.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Gillis is starting to look more like Nonis with each and every day.
I don't want to dignify this comment with a careful refutation. And I don't want to pile on.

So,

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:29 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
One of the major reasons the Canucks lost in the playoffs was so called tough players running around like mouth breathing cavemen and taking dumb penalty after dumb penalty after dumb penalty. The Canucks got exposed by the Hawks for having a lack of talent and skill.

What four teams made it to the Conference finals? None of them have any more toughness or size in their lineup than the Canucks.
Is this post serious or sarcastic?

Chicago was clearly more physical than we were.

The Canucks were the second least physical team in the NHL last season, while taking the third most PIM's per game.

You explain that to me, and you explain how signing a guy who takes chincy little minor penalties and is softer than butter is going to improve that.

Old
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Must be something else coming, tying up that amount of money for three years for a guy that age doesn't make a ton of sense when we're already deep at forward.

And sucks to be Grabner right now. We ever going to see that kid on the big team?
I just don't see it with Grabner - probably raised expectations because he was a first round pick. Hopefully some GM sees some value in him and we can bolster our defensive depth. Schneider + Grabner for Kaberle would be ideal.

maruk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
I don't want to dignify this comment with a careful refutation. And I don't want to pile on.

So,
The longer a thread runs on an internet forum the higher the chances it will turn into a big ***** fest so get used to it

Yes sort of inspired by XKCD

Oh yeah forgot

You stupid tard.

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:30 PM
BedBeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post

So,
You have to enjoy when some people here love living in the past.

Full on comedy IMO.

BedBeats is offline   Reply With Quote