HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign Samuelsson

Old
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
SopelFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
I don't think it's a bad contract, but I do think it's an unnecessary one.

There are five top-6 spots locked down on the Canucks - Sedin, Sedin, Demitra, Kesler, and Burrows. Do we really think that between Bernier, Wellwood, Grabner, Raymond, Hodgson, or Shirokov, that not one of those guys could step up and score ~20 goals/50 points? It's not the worst thing to gamble on.

All this does is take away cap space to acquire a replacement d-man for Ohlund; we need that MUCH more than we needed Samuelsson.

If Gillis can trade some spare parts up front + Schneider for a d-man with a decent cap hit I'll shut up, and I recognize that the Canucks needed to add some Cup champions, but effectively this signing takes us out of the running for Derek Morris/Francois Beauchemin/Dennis Seidenberg, guys who would actually fill a need on the roster.

Still, I'm willing to wait and see. If last summer is any indication, the roster July 3rd will look very different from the roster on opening night.
Yeah but who knows if Kesler and Burrows can score like they did last season?

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 50
he doesn't sound surprised at all

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:52 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
It's a precurser to nothing. Believe me. Gillis is going to sell this guy as your second line scoring. Gillis will come out and say that the Canucks will need Bernier, Wellwood, Raymond, Shirokov, etc. to step up and this gives them an opportunity....blah blah blah.

Add to that, I am pretty worried that the defense that is showing right now, will be what we start with.....if that's the case, Gillis really does need to be fired. Immediately.
Do me a favor - take a look at the Canucks roster on 7/3 this time last year and what we ended up breaking camp with and get back to me.

maruk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

I'm not sure what to think about this signing so I'm going to reserve judgement for now. It's not horrible, Samuelsson is a decent player who can play in a lot of situations, PP, PK, bottom 6, top 6 and he isn't getting paid a ridiculous amount of money. However, I don't see a lot of difference in his game compared to Hansen, other than age and experience there isn't a lot of difference. Hansen might be a little grittier and Samuelsson a better shooter. I guess we'll see what the master plan is here, then it'll be easier to pass judgement.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotiabank View Post
Jesus Christ.

I tried giving you a chance, but I give up.
It's odd how "Jesus Christ" is not censored. Is it not profane? I am not religious....but you can't say **** **** ******* **** here so I would have assumed that Jesus Christ was not permitted. Interesting.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
It's odd how "Jesus Christ" is not censored. Is it not profane? I am not religious....but you can't say **** **** ******* **** here so I would have assumed that Jesus Christ was not permitted. Interesting.
In the name of Allah why must we be so politically correct

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
maruk14

Quote:
Samuelsson is even surprised they paid him as much as they did: (see http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283610)

"Obviously that (the money) was the key, I shouldn't lie," Samuelsson said in a telephone conference call Friday after signing a three-year NHL deal with Vancouver.

Terrible signing. Awful. Horrible.
Welcome to the wonderful world of UFA signings - do you think we were bidding against ourselves?

maruk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
serge2k

he just added a 20 goal scoring RW shoot first player with a cup ring and people moan and whine.

Come on...

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
This is a "meh" signing for me. I certainly don't see what the uproar is about a 2.5 million dollar player.

I'm starting to lose the faith for Gillis though, not just because of this deal... His idea of needing to add "grit" isn't much more than lipservice in an overall plan, much like it was for Nonis. He also trashed Nonis' lineup and I am sure what he offers us here is not leaps and bounds different skill wise than the team he took over.
Great comment.

Gillis sucks.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Do me a favor - take a look at the Canucks roster on 7/3 this time last year and what we ended up breaking camp with and get back to me.
For the record, it was:

Luongo - Sanford

Ohlund - Salo
Bieksa - Mitchell
Edler - Krajicek
Baumgartner

Sedin - Sedin - Pyatt
Burrows - Kesler - Pettinger
Raymond - Wellwood - Hansen
Rypien - Johnson - Hordichuk
Cowan - Brown

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
he just added a 20 goal scoring RW shoot first player with a cup ring and people moan and whine.

Come on...
If he scores 20 goals in Detroit, he's a 50 goal player with the Sedins

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bourdon

I'm a little late to the party; has it been confirmed that it's 2.5M/3yrs or is it hearsay?

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post

Come on...
and yet if he signed a guy with the potential to be that ppl would love it

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
I'm a little late to the party; has it been confirmed that it's 2.5M/3yrs or is it hearsay?
Per Friedman's twitter.
http://twitter.com/FriedmanHNIC

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Payaso619*

This means no Sundin? If that's the case I don't like this signing at all, we have enough borderline 2nd line players as it is, and with our prospect pool you can assume that there's a possibility Raymond, Grabner, Hodgson, etc breakout with 40pts. How did this make the team better?

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:02 PM
jabberhockey

I think this is a precursor to a trade involving Hansen/Raymond/Grabner, most likely Hansen. How is Samuelsson as a PP QB? Would he be an improvement in that regard?

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
This means no Sundin? If that's the case I don't like this signing at all, we have enough borderline 2nd line players as it is, and with our prospect pool you can assume that there's a possibility Raymond, Grabner, Hodgson, etc breakout with 40pts. How did this make the team better?
It doesn't mean that necessarily. It all depends on how much Sundin is willing to take.

Old
07-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckered View Post
I think this is a precursor to a trade involving Hansen/Raymond/Grabner, most likely Hansen. How is Samuelsson as a PP QB? Would he be an improvement in that regard?
He's not very good on the point. I highly doubt Samuelsson is our solution to the PP

Old
07-03-2009, 01:04 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckered View Post
He was good enough to play the point on Detroit's PP.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Knucklez

Solid player, solid signing.

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:06 PM
kingfisher

Quote:
if batman, bilbo baggins and captain planet aren't censored, to name a few,

neither should jesus christ

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Tiranis

It's funny that all the hockey people are saying this is "good value." And yet our resident experts say it's terrible. Lots of big egos around.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Wellwood You

Brief recap of the conference call with Mikael Samuelsson:

Why Vancouver?
- Role would be a bit different than Detroit. Money was key but not the only reason.

Did the team say they would use you as a Top 6 forward? More offensive minutes?
- Yes, that's what they said, but I know that I'll need to deserve it. At least they're giving me the chance.

On leaving Detroit:
No hard feelings. Seemed like they had an offer but it was "too short too late". Writing seemed to be on wall due signings throughout the year. Well aware of the cap issues.

What excited you about Vancouver?
Hopefully get more icetime, more opportunities both offensive and defensively. I've played against Vancouver before and they're a good time. I think they have a chance to win and they want to win. Never played for a Canadian team so that's big too. Talked to some of the guys in the team and they were receptive. Not a hard decision.

When did you first hear from Vancouver?
July 1st. Offer was made on the 1st, waited till the 2nd. Had many offers from other teams. Vancouver was the best for him. Heard all offers, but between Vancouver and Detroit for the final decision.

On Vancouver having Swedes on the team:
It made it a bit easier, but not a huge factor. "I want to play with good players". Sees himself as a top-two line forward "if I play good".

Other than the Sedins, who else do you know on the roster?
Played with Hordichuk and Luongo in Florida. "Ohlun---Oh I almost said Ohlund but he's gone now. *chuckles*"

When do you move over?
Probably in September, a couple weeks before training camp. Family will probably follow once he finds a home.

What attracted you to Vancouver to make you believe they're capable for a Cup run?
Likes the way the team plays. Plays hard but with skill. Plays a similar puck possession game as Detroit.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
It doesn't mean that necessarily. It all depends on how much Sundin is willing to take.
What are people here assuming he will take? Don't we only have roughly 4M left with 2 holes on D and a hole in G? That leaves like 2M left, no way Sundin comes back at that price. ****, this better not have ruined the chances of him coming over, especially after Gillis states last night that they were in talks amongst each other.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Hal 9000*

I don't mind Samuelson per se, he has been with a winner and should bring that to the team. There might be a trade coming, or maybe insurance for Kesler leaving.

Anyone who thought we'd get a high priced or even decent second line scoring, might be disappointed because this is now the type of player we can expect. I hope the Sedins can lead in the way that they say they can.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote