HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens re-sign Fedotenko for 1 year

Old
07-03-2009, 03:38 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc29 View Post
i have a this feeling in the pit of my stomach that Sykora will sign a 1 year deal at 1.5 or 1.4
I'd be okay with that. There's a chance that he comes out next year like the tail end of last season never happened and scores 25 with Malkin again. If not, we could always just Recchi or Leclair him.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razumikhin View Post
I'd be okay with that. There's a chance that he comes out next year like the tail end of last season never happened and scores 25 with Malkin again. If not, we could always just Recchi or Leclair him.
Nope, Sykora brings nothing to the table. He is done. Period. Hes not a good hockey player, he doesn't have the wheels to be an effective NHLer without a superstar center. Face it, DUPUIS was on pace for 20 goals when he played consistently on Crosby's line.

I don't think we are done retooling this offseason. Hopefully we work out long term deals for tanger and gonchar, then everything will be complete.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:03 PM
SkullSplitter

I'd rather spend the remaining money on a number 5 d-man. Something the Pens are currently lacking.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Coconuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Has any team ever had three or more players who've scored a GWG in game 7 of the SCF?
No, but here are the previous cases where two such players played together after their Game 7 Stanley Cup winning goals were scored:

Gordie Howe, Tony Leswick (1954-55, 1957-58 with Detroit)
Gordie Howe, Andy Bathgate (1965-66 with Detroit)
Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard (1966-67 to 1970-71 with Montreal)
Mark Messier, Jari Kurri (1995-96 with New York)

Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Because adding guys like Fedotenko is what took you guys from the laughing stock of the league to the cup.
What players scored goals in Games 6 and 7? Jordan Staal, Tyler Kennedy, and Maxime Talbot.

So yeah, it's the Ruslan Fedotenkos that do win you Cups. A team with a few high scoring superstars and questionable depth and team play often finds itself eliminated in the second round.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
In a cap world, most teams are not going to have 6 true, Top Six players anymore. Unless they don't have a good goalie (see the Flyers), or have a significant hole somewhere else.

In today's cap reality, every team is going to have some players that aren't Top something.
People tend to forget this.

But good to see he stay with Penguins, will always hold him high after that certain game seven

07-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank View Post
Ok Mrs. Fedotenko....

Put down the keyboard.....

Carnation Street is back on....
Ok Mrs. Anti-Penguin fan, open your frickin eyes. Fedotenko is top 6 on any NHL team, give your head a shake. I wouldn't have said this 2 years ago, but after experiencing HOSSA then FEDOTENKO, I'd much rather have the TENK any day of the week. A team player who steps up in the playoffs, the absolute opposite of Hossa and many other so called star top 6 forwards in the league. As somebody said earlier, Dan Bylsma called his system "Fedotenko Hockey" in the Stanley Cup Final. Would the Stanley Cup Championship team name their system after a bottom 6 forward, I don't frickin think so.

P.S. Oh yeah did somebody actually say a top 7/8 forward, what the hell is that??

Jedi Pengu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Pengu View Post
Ok Mrs. Anti-Penguin fan, open your frickin eyes. Fedotenko is top 6 on any NHL team, give your head a shake.
Rusty? Rusty Fedotenko? He's a decent player, but not top 6 on "any NHL team." Not on the Flyers, or Red Wings, or Bruins, or Ducks, or a few other teams.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Ok Mrs. Anti-Penguin fan, open your frickin eyes. Fedotenko is top 6 on any NHL team, give your head a shake. I wouldn't have said this 2 years ago, but after experiencing HOSSA then FEDOTENKO, I'd much rather have the TENK any day of the week. A team player who steps up in the playoffs, the absolute opposite of Hossa and many other so called star top 6 forwards in the league. As somebody said earlier, Dan Bylsma called his system "Fedotenko Hockey" in the Stanley Cup Final. Would the Stanley Cup Championship team name their system after a bottom 6 forward, I don't frickin think so.

P.S. Oh yeah did somebody actually say a top 7/8 forward, what the hell is that??
This post is a joke right?

Either way, it ranks right up there with the caller on NHL Live that said Tank was the #1 UFA available on July 2.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:13 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:

Hossa did not lose the cup with the Penguins by putting up a mediocre performance, he was their second-best player (especially in the finals), but one year ago Detroit was better. And Bylsma can call his system whatever he wants to, but Fedotenko does not become a more important player than that.

Nevertheless, this is a spectacularly good signing for Pittsburgh. By the way, a "top 7/8 forward" might sometimes be called "3rd liner".

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:14 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
1.8 is absolute highway robbery.
Absolutely. He took a 20 percent pay cup to stay with the Pens and probably rejected deals that 50-percent more lucrative for two- or three-years.

Certainly, Feds wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, but it's also at least a shrewd business move as it is a hometown discount, I think. Even though next summer likely will be a down year for money in the NHL, he could be positioning himself for a four-year, $13M deal.

It might sound crazy, but he averaged 0.67 points a game last season, and that was with him bouncing between lines until settling in around midseason ... and then missing several weeks with a broken hand. It's conceivable that, with a full season on Malkin's line, his per-game production could rise at least by 0.08, which projects to 65 points.

If he remains healthy, he easily could enter free agency next year as a multiple Cup-winnging, 65-point, physical winger who has a reputation for showing up in the playoffs. A GM looking for a proven big-game winner for the second line could make a very nice offer.

Last edited by mrzeigler: 07-03-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: fixed percentage decrease.
mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Very important signing.

Of course, you may have to wait again until next April to see why.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens15 View Post
Maybe not on their team, but on the Penguins he absolutely is.
Anyone with a pulse can be a top 6 forward on the Pens... Malkin and Crosby have that effect.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:33 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
In decimals, that's a top 0.875 forward, which is closer to a top-1 forward than atop-2 forward is.

Last edited by mrzeigler: 07-03-2009 at 05:53 PM.
mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Zoo

Awesome job Shero, Feds plays his best hockey in the postseason.

Now lets sign a bottom 6 defencemen

Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 06:13 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
What players scored goals in Games 6 and 7? Jordan Staal, Tyler Kennedy, and Maxime Talbot.

So yeah, it's the Ruslan Fedotenkos that do win you Cups. A team with a few high scoring superstars and questionable depth and team play often finds itself eliminated in the second round.
I am sorry but "a team with a few high scoring superstars and questionable depth" is exactly what the penguins are. Hey, it seemed to work out ok for you guys, but if Jordan Staal was your first line center i dont think Pens fans would consider Fedotenko a top 6 player

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:04 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Because adding guys like Fedotenko is what took you guys from the laughing stock of the league to the cup. Minnesota has plenty of Fedotenkos (Nolan, Brunette,Miettinen, Clutterbuck) they are short on the Malkins and Crosbys
Minus Washington they can join the entire league on that. Fletcher knows what he is doing.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Memo to Pens fans: I hope you are enjoying fans of other teams telling you that your wingers are not top 6 forwards.

The other day, we read that about Guerin, today Fedotenko.

Silly me: I see top six forwards who contributed to a Stanley Cup Champion.

....THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS outside of fantasy leagues.

You'd think that would be good enough.

But not so for some on HF, where "what is" takes a backseat to hypotheticals.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Gooch

While it is correct that the pens have guys in their top 6 that arent quite top 6 wingers but it is also correct that the vast majority of the league has tweener type centers acting as top 1 and 2 centers. You can't have it all but having two superstar playmaking centers who make others around them a lot better allows the team to get less than ideal wingers and plug them in with success.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:42 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I thought he'd get more than a one-year deal, but good job by the Pens re-signing him. I've really been a fan of his every since seeing him in 2004 with Tampa. Baby face but he knows how to play with the men come playoff time.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Only 1.8 million as per Trib-Review?!? That's 450k less than last season.
isnt he like 32 though?

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
isnt he like 32 though?
The only thing to really go on a player at 30 is footspeed, and Feds doesn't exactly rely on his speed as much as his jam and offensive instincts. It isn't until 35 that the hands and back start to go. Feds will be fine until then.

Also, Feds is at least a second liner on 25 teams in the league. His numbers and skill are superior to one Dan Cleary, who I remember playing on Detroit's top line. Works out pretty well for them.

I'm wondering about these teams that easily have 20 goal scorers on their third line. The Penguins have one, but of course, he's being wasted there.

Old
07-03-2009, 08:11 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Memo to Pens fans: I hope you are enjoying fans of other teams telling you that your wingers are not top 6 forwards.

The other day, we read that about Guerin, today Fedotenko.

Silly me: I see top six forwards who contributed to a Stanley Cup Champion.

....THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS outside of fantasy leagues.

You'd think that would be good enough.

But not so for some on HF, where "what is" takes a backseat to hypotheticals.
Fedotenko doesn't grow a good enough playoff beard to be considered a legit top six winger. He also skates slumped over sometimes and doesn't look particularly involved in the game while doing so. As for Guerin, he'd be okay if he wasn't so old and scraggly, but rather young and shiny.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:16 PM
JTG

The cap flexibility the Pens for next offseason is what makes all of the deals Shero dished out this offseason more beautiful.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 View Post
I am sorry but "a team with a few high scoring superstars and questionable depth" is exactly what the penguins are. Hey, it seemed to work out ok for you guys, but if Jordan Staal was your first line center i dont think Pens fans would consider Fedotenko a top 6 player
Once again, who beat the Red Wings? Did the Penguins stars outclass the Wings stars? No, it was a push. Z, Datsyuk and Lidstrom played Crosby, Malkin and Gonchar to a draw. The difference? Talbot, Staal, Kennedy, Letang, Scuderi... and Ruslan Fedotenko.